Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Wacthing some "Seasick Steve" videos on YouTube, primarily one from the Jools Holland show with a three string guitar and one where he's joined by a drummer and he plays a one string "Diddlly-Bo". Wish I could link, but YouTube is blocked at work. Stupid firewall.

Brilliant videos! I really like Seasick Steve. I went to see him on my own about 18 months ago. He was brilliant. He nearly got into a fight with someone in the crowd too.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:55 am
Director

Living Colour's "Vivid" album on CD. It always annoys me that LC gets overlooked. Trivia Note: LC lead singer Corey Glover was in Platoon. He played Private Francis.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:39 pm
To be fair, Living Colour's peak was incredibly short, and I think 'Cult of Personality' is a string of lyrical clunkers, but they were a really inventive, technically masterful band with a distinctive [feel to them. They were, like QOTSA are now (except MUCH less consistently), a musician's band that were easy to appreciate on an artistic level, yet also made accessible work that entertained people far outside of critical circles who didn't care what the term 'hammer-on' meant.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:58 pm
Listening to Halestorm, they're easily one of the most talented female-fronted bands out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYgoejO3ac&feature=related

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:14 pm
Defying Gravity by Vinnie Moore.
And here I thought all neoclassical shred metal was boring. Not so.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:44 am
Vexer wrote:
Listening to Halestorm, they're easily one of the most talented female-fronted bands out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYgoejO3ac&feature=related

Given Vex's horrific taste in movies, I was pretty dubious about even clicking this link. But as it happens, I did, and surprisingly, its not half bad. Not sure it is anything I would waste a purchase on, and in terms of female fronted rock bands, it ain't no Liz Phair, but again, surprisingly, its listenable... and their equipment is top notch.

And currently, the new Yes album is in my disc player, and its pretty tedious. The sequel to Drama my ass!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:36 pm
I know I'm terribly late but I nominate Radiohead's The King of Limbs as most disappointing record of the year. It's not bad, but it is bad for Radiohead. After spending some time with it I've grown very fond of "Little by Little". And "Lotus Flower" too (I'll continue to avoid the music video though).

Then there's "Bloom". Praise for this one is almost universal. I've seen people fawning over it at several music forums and a search of this forum shows that Marky Mark really likes it too.

I fucking hate it. Maybe it's the glitchy nature of the song but the only thing it inspires in me is nausea. Possibly my least favourite Radiohead song ever. My second least favourite song? "Feral", also from this album.

After the surprisingly great In Rainbows (their second best album, you know) this is a serious come-down. Let's hope the next time they tweak their sound it actually sounds good.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I know I'm terribly late but I nominate Radiohead's The King of Limbs as most disappointing record of the year. It's not bad, but it is bad for Radiohead. After spending some time with it I've grown very fond of "Little by Little". And "Lotus Flower" too (I'll continue to avoid the music video though).

Then there's "Bloom". Praise for this one is almost universal. I've seen people fawning over it at several music forums and a search of this forum shows that Marky Mark really likes it too.

I fucking hate it. Maybe it's the glitchy nature of the song but the only thing it inspires in me is nausea. Possibly my least favourite Radiohead song ever. My second least favourite song? "Feral", also from this album.

After the surprisingly great In Rainbows (their second best album, you know) this is a serious come-down. Let's hope the next time they tweak their sound it actually sounds good.

Here's a nomination for Radiohead as one of the the most overrated bands....

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 am
MrGuinness wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

This I agree with, never got what the big deal about them was.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 am
Here's some music from my personal favorite band-Bonfire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzv00zvN1MI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0jKmpGg_s&feature=related

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 pm
Vexer wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

This I agree with, never got what the big deal about them was.

I love that Vexer is the only person to have seconded Mr. Guinness' nomination.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I love that Vexer is the only person to have seconded Mr. Guinness' nomination.

Not my words but I couldn't say it better...

Quote:
Radiohead is NOT talented, not as songwriters, not as musicians. What Radiohead is is lucky, one of the luckiest groups of mediocre talents to ever form. Creep (ripped from the Holly’s, and Radiohead never wrote chord progressions like that again, because they can’t) appeared at the right time, in the wake of good, authentic grunge talent. They tried their best for the Bends and it kept them around long enough to give them time to meet producer Nigel Godrich, the mastermind behind the sonics (not the song writing… no one’s ever come to rescue of them in this department) of OK Computer and everything Thom Yorke’s done since.
Thom Yorke… greatest vocalist? Good lyricist?… ha! I don’t think Yorke even TRIES to write lyrics anymore (Weird Fishes anyone?). He doesn’t seem to have a coherent thought in his head. He sings with a particular tone (not original) and he sings in pitch. He sings in the same sad mode — this meandering minor-key keening thing he does — over and over until it pentrates even the thick skulls of unmusical people, and makes them think he’s “recognizable” and that that’s a good thing.
I would pay cash for Yorke to write a single good song (oh ya, he doesn’t need my money cause dumb people have already given him theirs), but he can’t, and he never will. As a musician he’s mediocre. He makes the same annoying sounds over and over again because he can’t do anything else. He’s not innovative. Radiohead, deemed by morons to be innovative, is distinctly un-innovative. There’s NO musical evolution happening with these guys. They are specious. They are a cultural blip. A long agonizing cultural blip.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:24 pm
Radiohead is, frankly, quite amazing. I'm sorry, Guinness, but your value of the term 'overrated' has to be fairly loose if you would call them that, not only since they are an amazingly consistent band who always manage to write memorable material no matter what, but because they are given credit for being an incredibly emotional, yet cerebral band that are endlessly inventive. They are not cited as a party band, a hits-bonanza, or the ultimate trip, and thus, I don't even see what they're being overrated as. On their own terms, they are unparalleled, as they convey tone and mood like few other bands are capable. You may spend whatever time you wish after this post to dispute that last section with counter-examples.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Not my words but I couldn't say it better...

Well, that’s a pretty empty piece of criticism. If you can’t come up with something better, that doesn’t speak well for you.

Not that I have much to add, since I haven’t really listened to much Radiohead.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:11 am
Radiohead peaked at OK Computer which is one of the Top 5 albums of the past 20 or so years. I always listen to their new releases but i'm left unimpressed. Great band live though, saw them on the OK Computer tour and the one that had that 2+2=5 song which name escapes me right now and they were just as impressive.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:01 am
My only concern about Radiohead is that they fail to move me.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:16 am
You only listen to music that 'moves' you? I listen to most music based on current mood, sometimes I just need light and energetic.

Probably not your guys thing but listening to the radio at work and I just love when this song comes on even though its been played often over the past month. Aussie bias ;)

http://youtu.be/8UVNT4wvIGY

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:51 am
Nick wrote:
You only listen to music that 'moves' you? I listen to most music based on current mood, sometimes I just need light and energetic.

Probably not your guys thing but listening to the radio at work and I just love when this song comes on even though its been played often over the past month. Aussie bias ;)

http://youtu.be/8UVNT4wvIGY

Yeah, I don't listen to music to be moved, I listen to it to be entertained, though a well done ballad can make me a little misty-eyed, Evanescence "My Immortal" is one of the saddest damn songs you'll ever hear(especially if you've lost someone close to you like I did)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:57 am
Pretty much. With Radiohead though, for the most part I get nothing out of it. Which is strange because it should technically have all the elements I need to love. Typically light, falsetto, simple, psychedelic themes, decently layered composition. But in my experience it's like listening to a stone. Doesn't do anything to me. No entertainment value either.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:07 am
Director

Re: Radiohead. Their two best albums are The Bends and OK Computer. I give them points for progressing, trying new things and not repeating themselves. Like Beck they dodged falling into the one-hit wonder category and in fact went on to make some of the defining music of the last two decades.

That being said, their most recent stuff just doesn't have the same impact on me the two aforementioned albums do. Some of it is great (Kid A) some of it good (Amnesiac, In Rainbows). But I can listen to those a few times and put em aside for a while before I listen to them again while I have yet to remove The Bends and OK Computer from my 50 CD changer.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:34 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next