Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:33 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
CAPTAIN AMERICA 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3204
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post CAPTAIN AMERICA
Click here for the review of Captain America

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!


Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Yeah, If figured this wouldn't be that good. BTW, you didn't say much about the performances, were Chris Evans, Jones or Weaving any good?

Here's a more negative review.

http://themovieboy.com/reviews/c/11_captainamerica.htm


Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
JB's review is spot on, but it's a little puzzling why he and so many others put Green Lantern below this. Yes, I admit Lantern isn't strong, but it's no less generic than America. In fact, Lantern is the shorter (better paced) and sweeter of the two films. Lantern's mythos is also more interesting, and its villains much fresher. I also respect it for standing alone; not trying to be anything more than a competent representation of the Hal Jordan character and his universe. With Captain America, the Avengers tie-ins finally run dry;
[Reveal] Spoiler:
references to Stark Industries and Asgardian technology come across as lame and overcooked.
The action is solid, but the story unengaging; really just a waste of time. I had my hopes up after how awesome Thor turned out to be, but I suppose Marvel did not quite know what they had with that one. Thor is an amazingly cool concept for a movie, while Captain America is bland, hollow, and at times boring.


Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:47 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1774
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Quote:
It's fair to say that superhero saturation has set in. Not many years ago, every cinematic version of a comic book protagonist's adventures was awaited with baited breath.


Pet peeve: The expression is "bated breath" unless you've been eating worms.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:15 pm
Profile
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
[quote="James Berardinelli"]That's one thing that has been increasingly annoying about the recent batch of Marvel movies - The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Thor - they seem less like stand-alone motion pictures than advertisements for The Avengers. [quote]

I'd have said increasingly 'great' about said movies, as I'm anticipating 'The Avengers' as much as Iron Man and Thor :D


Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:41 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Quote:
Captain America is not a member of the vaunted A-list.


I have to disagree with this statement. Cap is very much an A-lister. His current series has consistently been one of Marvel's top-selling titles for the past 6-7 years.

I have to wait until Tuesday to see this, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Normally, a lukewarm review from James would be cause for trepidation (at least for me), but Cap writer Ed Brubaker himself gave the film a glowing recommendation. And if you know Brubaker, that's saying something.


Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Artmonkey wrote:
Quote:
I have to wait until Tuesday to see this, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Normally, a lukewarm review from James would be cause for trepidation (at least for me), but Cap writer Ed Brubaker himself gave the film a glowing recommendation. And if you know Brubaker, that's saying something.

It's not that common to see a comic writer lambasting a studio for an adaptation of his work. The one who comes to mind is Alan Moore, as he's not only lambasted the studios but disowned them, not that I blame him.


Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:16 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Syd Henderson wrote:
Quote:
It's fair to say that superhero saturation has set in. Not many years ago, every cinematic version of a comic book protagonist's adventures was awaited with baited breath.


Pet peeve: The expression is "bated breath" unless you've been eating worms.



Thank you! I was about to make the same comment. Fried worms are yummy! Baited breath, not so much...

Pet peeve of mine as well. Unfortunately, it seems like it will eventually become the norm. People are just too lazy and ignorant.


Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Quote:
The thing that differentiates Captain America from the umpteen other superheroes who have trodden across screens this summer is that the action takes place neither on modern-day Earth nor in outer space. In this case, we get a period piece - a re-imagination of some of what went on behind the scenes [...]


That doesn't even differentiate it from the last Marvel movie that came out a few weeks ago. Both are period pieces that re-imagine "what went on behind the scenes".


Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:07 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:12 pm
Posts: 83
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Yeah, that's what I hate about these movies, they seem to be all about setting up and previewing the Avengers film. Iron Man 2 was worse as it completely stopped just to have two characters talk about the Avengers.


Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:38 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
I disagree that this movie is nothing more than a commercial for The Avengers. I think both Thor and this movie worked as stand alone films. Now Iron Man 2, that definitely at times felt like it was more concerned setting up for The Avengers. But then again Iron Man 2 wasn't all that good to begin with.

This movie did get me pumped for The Avengers but I also enjoyed the movie itself very much too. I really liked the old fashioned tone this movie frequently had. The final showdown between Cap and Red Skull itself felt very Indiana Jones-ish to me. Loved the cast too. I thought Chris Evans really shined here. His Steve Rogers was an immensely likeable and relatable character. It's proof that we don't need a superhero who is dark and brooding to work. Haley Atwell is drop dead gorgeous and quite fetching and also has some great moments in the movie too. She and Evans have good chemistry too. Tommy Lee Jones is great here as well. He has some very funny moments. And Hugo Weaving is having a ball as Red Skull. He's not the most memorable movie villain, he's actually kind of wasted. His screen time is rather limited and not much is really done with him. But Weaving is great nonetheless. Loved the look of the movie. Great production design and I also loved the score too. There are some cheesy moments but even those scenes I didn't mind and found them to be part of the movie's charm. All in all, this was not as good or as memorable as X-Men: First Class but it's a tremendously fun summer flick, with a nice old fashioned sensibility. It's director Joe Johnston's best film since October Sky.

I would give it 3 stars out of 4.


Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:32 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:52 pm
Posts: 278
Location: North Carolina
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Disappointing. I'm a bit surprised: JB seems to be more negative than some of the other reviews I've read. At least you should always be able to depend on Nazis to make good villains, regardless of the other qualities (or lack thereof) of the movie. But I said the same thing with Green Lantern: I'm tired of generic superhero origin stories, and crave more depth in the story than just another sinister plot to take over the world. Then throw in yet another interminable setup link to the Avengers, and Captain America becomes a Netflix movie for me.


Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:29 am
Profile
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
I'm certain that in the right hands, 'The Avengers' will be fantastic (as in, no Joss Weadon but Favreau or Branagh). The 'Iron Man' movies are as close to the Nolan Batman yardstick of excellence as Marvel have come so far so it's not like other directors don't know what's good etc.


Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:32 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Captain America is generic. But that's kind of what makes him a great character. Every other person in Marvel and DC has serious mental issues or conflicts. They all have some dark part of their character or history that makes them behave certain ways or do questionable things.

Captain America has his issues, but he's the one character from Marvel that you always know will do the right thing. Every other character they've done an Avenger setup movie so far has other motivations. Be it drinking/destructive thinking (Stark), being on call to a higher power (Thor), be it animal instinct (Hulk), or working for the government (Nick Fury) they all have some agenda or flaw. For the Avengers to work you need that one character that will always try to keep the team on track, who always tries to do what's right and will sacrifice his own life at the drop of a hat for a cause. That's Captain America in a nutshell.

I haven't seen the movie, and probably wont until it hits DVD, but I'd rather Captain be the generic heroic badass he should be then given some type of personality flaw to be more interesting.


Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:04 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
So I saw Captain America today...review below.

http://patrickstergos.blogspot.com/2011/07/captain-america-first-avenger-reviewed.html

TL;DR: I liked it a whole deal, much more than Iron Man 2, Thor or The Incredible Hulk. But it's not as good as the first Iron Man.


Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:19 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
I found the film both entertaining and disappointing. It's a good summer action/adventure film but Marvel dropped the ball on the production side of things. Captain America deserves the same treatment afforded to Spider-Man and Iron Man. This should have been a good film at the very least if not a great superhero film. The film was also too linked to the Avengers storyline as the film is obviously a lead in to the film. Just look at the abrupt ending. I watched the film with someone that had little to no knowledge of the Avengers arc. As a stand alone film Captain America fails.

** 1/2


Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:56 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Quote:
The 'Iron Man' movies are as close to the Nolan Batman yardstick of excellence as Marvel have come so far so it's not like other directors don't know what's good etc.


The first one is solid pulpy blockbuster entertainment but the second one is almost downright awful - subplots that go nowhere interesting and big time advertising for The Avengers. After the scene at the racetrack it completely fell apart.. I certainly enjoyed Thor more than the Iron Man sequel.

The general consensus on this one seems to be generally mixed to positive and i'll still go see it because i'm digging the Rocketeer vibe. Is this the first case where a film wasn't screened for critics but ended up with a solid score in the amount of positive on RT/Metacritic?


Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:52 am
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
This movie really calls attention to how rare a great director does something truly terrific with an elephantine production. Captain America is not one of those cases. Johnston knows how to craft a large-scale, indulgent production that looks great, but somehow it comes out empty. X-Men: First Class is exactly the opposite: Vaughn has plenty of spirit, but absolutely no sense of high production values; the result is that First Class feels good, but also 2nd rate and cheap. Thor struck the best balance.


Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:44 am
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
ilovemovies wrote:
I disagree that this movie is nothing more than a commercial for The Avengers. I think both Thor and this movie worked as stand alone films. Now Iron Man 2, that definitely at times felt like it was more concerned setting up for The Avengers. But then again Iron Man 2 wasn't all that good to begin with.

This movie did get me pumped for The Avengers but I also enjoyed the movie itself very much too. I really liked the old fashioned tone this movie frequently had. The final showdown between Cap and Red Skull itself felt very Indiana Jones-ish to me. Loved the cast too. I thought Chris Evans really shined here. His Steve Rogers was an immensely likeable and relatable character. It's proof that we don't need a superhero who is dark and brooding to work. Haley Atwell is drop dead gorgeous and quite fetching and also has some great moments in the movie too. She and Evans have good chemistry too. Tommy Lee Jones is great here as well. He has some very funny moments. And Hugo Weaving is having a ball as Red Skull. He's not the most memorable movie villain, he's actually kind of wasted. His screen time is rather limited and not much is really done with him. But Weaving is great nonetheless. Loved the look of the movie. Great production design and I also loved the score too. There are some cheesy moments but even those scenes I didn't mind and found them to be part of the movie's charm. All in all, this was not as good or as memorable as X-Men: First Class but it's a tremendously fun summer flick, with a nice old fashioned sensibility. It's director Joe Johnston's best film since October Sky.

I would give it 3 stars out of 4.


This perfectly summed up how I felt. Even though all of these origin stories have a similar feel and purpose, each hero has different quirks from the rest. A lot of these movies are aiming for the "dark and brooding" feel anyway, so it's refreshing to see a movie take the old-school route and resemble more of a James Bond/Indiana Jones adventure.


Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:51 pm
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Hawk52 wrote:
Captain America is generic. But that's kind of what makes him a great character. Every other person in Marvel and DC has serious mental issues or conflicts. They all have some dark part of their character or history that makes them behave certain ways or do questionable things.

Captain America has his issues, but he's the one character from Marvel that you always know will do the right thing. Every other character they've done an Avenger setup movie so far has other motivations. Be it drinking/destructive thinking (Stark), being on call to a higher power (Thor), be it animal instinct (Hulk), or working for the government (Nick Fury) they all have some agenda or flaw. For the Avengers to work you need that one character that will always try to keep the team on track, who always tries to do what's right and will sacrifice his own life at the drop of a hat for a cause. That's Captain America in a nutshell.

I haven't seen the movie, and probably wont until it hits DVD, but I'd rather Captain be the generic heroic badass he should be then given some type of personality flaw to be more interesting.


I was never a huge fan of the character but I distinctly remember a drug-addiction storyline. An explosion exposes him to a drug (speed?) that interacts with the super-soldier serum. A short time later and the Captain is a junkie. Eventually he gets his act together and kicks the super-soldier serum entirely.

I do get your point though. Generally, he is by design one of the more stable characters in the Marvel universe and rarely subject to any dire personal conflict.


Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr