Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 am

RIP Amy Winehouse. 
Director

Post RIP Amy Winehouse.
http://www.thewrap.com/media/article/singer-amy-winehouse-found-dead-her-london-flat-29387

Not long after I bought Back To Black in February of 2008, I found myself saying "I hope I don't end up doing with that album what I do with The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill: pulling it out and wondering what might have been". Now it's come to pass. Sad, But not surprising. Like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Jeff Buckley, Jim Morrison and Brian Jones: dead at 27.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:04 pm
Post Re: RIP Amy Winehouse.
Yeah this really sucks, maybe if her comeback tour had worked out this wouldn't have happened, but we'll never know. Right now i'm just praying that Lindsay Lohan dosen't meet the same fate.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:04 am
Lindsay Lohan is in the same position that Amy Winehouse was: the entertainment industry is an enabler, and none of the people she surrounds herself with seem to be interested in helping her.

It's a very old, very common story.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:10 am
Ken wrote:
Lindsay Lohan is in the same position that Amy Winehouse was: the entertainment industry is an enabler, and none of the people she surrounds herself with seem to be interested in helping her.

It's a very old, very common story.

Yeah, her friends don't seem to have her best interests at heart, it seems the court officials are the only that really care about her. She has been pretty good lately though as she's not in the public eye all that much anymore, I just hope those psychological counseling classes help her out.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:22 am
Honestly, I'm shocked that Lohan didn't bite it first before Amy Winehouse; I do hope that maybe this tragedy will force her to turn her life around before she's next...

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:03 am
oafolay wrote:
Honestly, I'm shocked that Lohan didn't bite it first before Amy Winehouse

Then again, I'd rather be dead as Amy Winehouse than alive as Linday Lohan.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:18 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
oafolay wrote:
Honestly, I'm shocked that Lohan didn't bite it first before Amy Winehouse

Then again, I'd rather be dead as Amy Winehouse than alive as Linday Lohan.

Well i'd gladly take either of those options over watching Nancy Grace! :lol:

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:48 am
oafolay wrote:
Honestly, I'm shocked that Lohan didn't bite it first before Amy Winehouse; I do hope that maybe this tragedy will force her to turn her life around before she's next...

You and me both. I'm personally more surprised that Charlie Sheen is still alive.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:50 am
Yep, very sad news - read it yesterday evening. Amy W. was such an awesome vocalist before drugs and booze started to destroy her.
Talent or not - it happens all the time. Here in Portugal one famous 37 year old (that's "washed up" these days) tv actress blew herself up with gas in her own apartment - all brick walls were blown out - only the steel-concrete structure remained (she suffered 2nd degree burns on almost all her body and only survived because of extreme luck and ace surgeons) - another 28 year old model/actor/singer was killed - speeding like the living hell in a BMW 635 at 3:30 am until he lost control..... all just a few weeks ago.

I don't think it's just show biz that can kill people. The exact same can happen to ordinary people: extreme ups and downs - depression, substance abuse, things getting out of control - not necessarily in this order... it's only the famous we read about.

But yes, I agree (I almost feel bad for saying that): better to die than to live a life like, say Montgomery Clift who had to live for many years after his freak car accident depending on vodka and pain killers (to say nothing of his not coming out of the closet) until his heart finally failed.....

I need to listen to some good music now to cheer myself up....

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:17 am
Director

I can honestly say that I was not very surprised when I heard the news. This reminds me very much of individuals like Belushi, Cobain, Chris Farley...you can see what's coming, and no matter what others do to try and help them, the inevitable happens. It's a very sad state of affairs.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:44 pm
oafolay wrote:

Personally, I don't think Lohan could do nearly as much in the way of drugs and alcohol as Winehouse did. It's also harder (not impossible) to do a ton of drugs when you're in jail.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:52 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
oafolay wrote:

Personally, I don't think Lohan could do nearly as much in the way of drugs and alcohol as Winehouse did. It's also harder (not impossible) to do a ton of drugs when you're in jail.

Yeah, I just heard reports that Amy's death was caused by a lethal combination of ketamine, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and Whiskey. Some spectulated that was she was actively trying to kill herself(she'd just had a fight with her boyfriend and witnesses said she kept on drinking nonstop and was seen buying drugs from a bar) I certainly don't want to speak ill of her, but most people don't take that many drugs at once for pleasure, and those close to Amy said that she seemed to be at the point where she didn't care if she lived or died.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:24 pm
Second Unit Director

http://www.russellbrand.tv/2011/07/for-amy/

This is arguably the truest piece written about Amy Winehouse and drug addiction in general. That it came from Russell Brand who himself got over similar addictions is really telling.

I was not a big fan of Winehouse or her music (not a fan of the genre itself), but her death is a tragedy and people, even those close to here, saying they saw it coming is really sad. May her soul find the peace in death that it never found when alive.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
May her soul find the peace in death that it never found when alive.

Precisely. Based on a lot of what I've been seeing over the past few days, I've came to the conclusion that Winehouse didn't live long enough to really enjoy the fruits of her labor. She didn't live long enough to get both her feet on the ground, figure out where she stood. She got (to paraphrase Roger Ebert) "handed great fame and a certain amount of power and money, and indirectly told that her success depended on staying fucked up."

One thing that I've seen pop up in quite a few places (something I also saw a lot of after the deaths of Cobain, Michael Hutchence etc) is: "If she couldn't handle it, she should have just quit. Most people would have understood". I think not. Most people would've been furious at her for quitting. And it wasn't as if she (or any of the others) could just chuck it all and go work in an office for the rest of her life.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 am
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
May her soul find the peace in death that it never found when alive.

Precisely. Based on a lot of what I've been seeing over the past few days, I've came to the conclusion that Winehouse didn't live long enough to really enjoy the fruits of her labor. She didn't live long enough to get both her feet on the ground, figure out where she stood. She got (to paraphrase Roger Ebert) "handed great fame and a certain amount of power and money, and indirectly told that her success depended on staying fucked up."

One thing that I've seen pop up in quite a few places (something I also saw a lot of after the deaths of Cobain, Michael Hutchence etc) is: "If she couldn't handle it, she should have just quit. Most people would have understood". I think not. Most people would've been furious at her for quitting. And it wasn't as if she (or any of the others) could just chuck it all and go work in an office for the rest of her life.

Success is a prison, no matter what the bars are made of.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:12 pm