Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am

Favorite Dramatic Performances By Comic Actors/Actresses 
Post Re: Favorite Dramatic Performances By Comic Actors/Actresses
andrewdesouja wrote:
Bill Murray in Rushmore

Is Bill Murray even a comedic actor anymore? I think he's just a good actor now. I mean look at Rushmore, Life Aquatic, Lost in Translation, and etc.

I thought Adam Sandler in Reign Over Me was great as well.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:58 pm
I'd like to add Steve Carell to the thread.

I really loved his work in Little Miss Sunshine. I just remember seeing him and thinking, "Oh my God..." when the title card came up over his face, his miserable, pathetic face. Heartbreaking, also, when he bumps into his ex at the gas station.

Also, in Dan in Real Life, specifically, when he is speaking to his daughters about how they remind him of their mother. He's really good.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:14 pm
Yeah I really dug Dan in Real Life, I mean it wasn't a top movie of the year but overall i thought it was very enjoyable.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:42 pm
ram1312 wrote:
I'd like to add Steve Carell to the thread.

I really loved his work in Little Miss Sunshine. I just remember seeing him and thinking, "Oh my God..." when the title card came up over his face, his miserable, pathetic face. Heartbreaking, also, when he bumps into his ex at the gas station.

Also, in Dan in Real Life, specifically, when he is speaking to his daughters about how they remind him of their mother. He's really good.

Steve Carell! I'd cite The 40-Year-Old Virgin as evidence that he can play both comedy and drama equally effectively. Sure, the drama isn't exactly the most somber you'll find but he brings some real warmth to the more muted scenes in that film. Weirdly, his performance in the film is one of my favorites of the past so many years. I really like Andy. He's a talented actor when given the right script and expect him to move into Bill Murray territory any time now.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:02 am
Director

Yep. Robin Williams is actually more tolerable in dramatic roles than he is in comedic roles. The only pure comedic roles I can take him in are "Popeye" and, to a lesser extent, "Mrs. Doubtfire." (I consider his work in such films as "The World According to Garp," "Moscow on the Hudson," and "Good Morning Vietnam" as more 'serio-comic;' same goes for Adam Sandler in "Punch-Drunk Love" and "Spanglish," Jim Carrey in "Eternal Sunshine," and Will Ferrell in "Stranger Than Fiction.")

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:19 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Steve Carell! I'd cite The 40-Year-Old Virgin as evidence that he can play both comedy and drama equally effectively. Sure, the drama isn't exactly the most somber you'll find but he brings some real warmth to the more muted scenes in that film. Weirdly, his performance in the film is one of my favorites of the past so many years. I really like Andy. He's a talented actor when given the right script and expect him to move into Bill Murray territory any time now.

Yes major, yes. I was thinking of including that movie, as well, for the exact reasons you mentioned. He makes Andy a real person and not some caricature as the title might suggest. The scene where he confesses to Trish that he is a virgin could have been extreme cheese, but Carell handles it with great care. It's the role that made him one of my favorite actors right now.

Where did Steve Carell come from? All I remember was The Daily Show.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Is it safe to say that Tom Hanks is not a comic actor anymore?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:23 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Is it safe to say that Tom Hanks is not a comic actor anymore?

LOL. Would to God that he were still, because me thinks he is really, really good at it.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:07 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Where did Steve Carell come from? All I remember was The Daily Show.
Yeah, the Daily Show was the first big thing for him. Prior to that, he was the voice of Gary in the Ambiguously Gay Duo cartoons on SNL, but that's the only other early work of his I can think of.

As good as he is in the movies, he is at his most glorious in The Office.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:21 pm
1) Bill Murray in Lost in Translation (2003). A masterful performance, pure gold.
2) Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004). Whatever sins he had committed in the past were redeemed here.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 am
Director

Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love.

Steve Carell in Little Miss Sunshine.

Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm
Most of the ones that came to mind immediately have been mentioned but let me add one: Marlon Wayans in Requiem for a Dream; the man showed some much potential here that it baffles me how he chooses to stay stuck in the low-brow rut that he's been in ever since.

Last edited by oafolay on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:17 am
oafolay wrote:
Most of the ones that came to mind immediately have been mentioned but let me add one: Marlon Wayans in Requiem for a Dream; the mas showed some much potential here that it baffles me how he chooses to stay stuck in the low-brow rut that he's been in ever since.

Well some actors just prefer doing comedy over drama.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:33 am
Vexer wrote:
Well some actors just prefer doing comedy over drama.

I think that's what makes it special. When actors who are primarily good with comedy step out and deliver something else, I think it forces them to really do their homework and put the extra effort into building the role. They can't just rely on their muscle memory, which is what happens in a comedy with comedians who are used to doing comedy. (Nothing wrong with that, of course.)

The catch is, the effect probably only works with actors who primarily stick to one genre over the other. Marlon Wayans, for example--if he weren't such a staunch comic actor, maybe his work in Requiem for a Dream wouldn't have thrown as many sparks as it did.

It kind of reminds me of John 5, the guitar player. He became famous as Marilyn Manson's sideman, but he was a prolific working guitarist prior to that. His studio work was in many different styles, so he would deliberately avoid listening to music of whatever genre he was working in at the moment. If he was doing a metal job, he'd listen to country. If he was doing a rock job, he'd listen to old jazz. If he was doing a country job, he'd listen to something else, and so on. It kept him fresh, and it encouraged him to make some out-of-the-box choices in his playing that he wouldn't have otherwise made. I'm sure it's much the same with actors.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:03 am
Producer

Jamie Fox in Any Given Sunday
Cameron Diaz in Any Given Sunday and My Sister's Keeper

Definitely agreed on any dramatic performance from Robin Williams, Bill Murray and Jim Carey and Steve Carell in Dan in Real Life (an absolute delight he is in that movie).

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:33 am
Gaffer

Bill Murray in Lost in Translation
Jim Carrey in The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:14 pm
All great choices listed so far. Here are a few more that come to mind-

Judd Hirsch in Ordinary People and Running on Empty
Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People as well.
Whoopi Goldberg in The Color Purple, The Long Walk Home and The Player
Woody Harrelson in People vs. Larry Flynt and No Country for Old Men
Jerry Lewis in King of Comedy
Jackie Gleason in The Hustler and Requiem for a Heavyweight

Well, they came to mind after a lot of thought. :)

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:58 pm
I take the title of this thread to indicate that the actors are specific to comedy, but there are a few actors who've done a bit more comedic work than they have dramatic. Are they 'Comic' actors? I don't know.

I offer a couple and their comedy vs my favorite drama roles:

Jack Lemmon "Some like it Hot" (Or "Grumpy Old Men") vs. "The China Syndrome"

Fred MacMurrary "The Egg and I" vs. "Double Indemnity"

Joe Pesci -"My Cousin Vinni" vs. "Goodfellas"

-My apologies if I defecated in your thread.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm
Eric Bana is great as real life Aussie standover man in Chopper. You'd have to say his star rose quickly from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySDkIwWHk74 in 1997, to the tidy, understated performance he gave in Munich eight years later.

Tom Hanks performance in Cast Away, the transformation from first to final act is simply amazing. Helen Hunt running out of the house to see him for one last embrace brings a tear to my eye everytime.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 am
Director

Eric Bana's a comedic actor? :?

Mon May 14, 2012 6:58 am