Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:35 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film 

Kubrick's Best of the Rest
1999 Eyes Wide Shut 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
1987 Full Metal Jacket 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
1980 The Shining 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
1975 Barry Lyndon 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
1962 Lolita 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
1960 Spartacus 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1957 Paths of Glory 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
1956 The Killing 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
1955 Killer's Kiss 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film 
Author Message
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
I voted because you pussies keep crying about lack of votes. That's how this forum works! Accept it and get over it! Appreciate who's here! Also, no one cares about the polls. Ed's right, merge it.

I chose Paths of Glory which slightly beat out The Killing. The former is just all kinds of awesome. I plan on checking out Breaker Morant based on Kunz's continued pimpage of that film. If he's not right, I'm coming for his head.


Fri May 13, 2011 2:50 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Robert Holloway wrote:
it simply amazes me that with about 20,000 "people" signed up to this forum, nine days has generated 13 votes :-(
Rob


Ehhhh the poll's just an excuse to talk about the issue at hand and we've had some great discussion. Hell I finally (maybe) got somebody to watch Breaker Morant. That's something!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri May 13, 2011 3:58 pm
Profile
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
ed_metal_head wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
it simply amazes me that with about 20,000 "people" signed up to this forum, nine days has generated 13 votes :-(
Rob


I've already made the point, but having this as the 3rd topic in the Polling Section cannot help. Clearly there are people who don't use the new posts feature and, as such, the lack of prominence given to this topic may have cost it some votes.


If Kunzie actually sticky any poll topics he made like I told him too, we wouldn't have that problem. And yes Kunzie, I did tell you how to do it.


Fri May 13, 2011 4:26 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 8:39 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Does "Day of the Fight" count as a lesser Kubrick film?


Fri May 13, 2011 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
More like "least" film, if the man himself has anything to say about it.


Fri May 13, 2011 4:29 pm
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
JamesKunz wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
it simply amazes me that with about 20,000 "people" signed up to this forum, nine days has generated 13 votes :-(
Rob


Ehhhh the poll's just an excuse to talk about the issue at hand and we've had some great discussion. Hell I finally (maybe) got somebody to watch Breaker Morant. That's something!



... and let me add my bulk behind Breaker Morant being a GREAT movie :)
Rob


Fri May 13, 2011 4:34 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Patrick wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
it simply amazes me that with about 20,000 "people" signed up to this forum, nine days has generated 13 votes :-(
Rob


I've already made the point, but having this as the 3rd topic in the Polling Section cannot help. Clearly there are people who don't use the new posts feature and, as such, the lack of prominence given to this topic may have cost it some votes.


If Kunzie actually sticky any poll topics he made like I told him too, we wouldn't have that problem. And yes Kunzie, I did tell you how to do it.


Yeah I normally do but this time I clearly failed.
Robert Holloway wrote:
... and let me add my bulk behind Breaker Morant being a GREAT movie
Rob


Fuck yeah Robbie!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri May 13, 2011 4:44 pm
Profile
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
"Paths of Glory" with "The Killing" coming in a very close second. There's really not a bad one in the bunch. I even found "Killer's Kiss" enjoyable. Not vintage Kubrick, but certainly worth a watch.


Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:04 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Craig wrote:
"Paths of Glory" with "The Killing" coming in a very close second. There's really not a bad one in the bunch. I even found "Killer's Kiss" enjoyable. Not vintage Kubrick, but certainly worth a watch.


Interesting. I saw it on Netflix instant but decided against watching it.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:06 am
Profile
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
JamesKunz wrote:
Craig wrote:
"Paths of Glory" with "The Killing" coming in a very close second. There's really not a bad one in the bunch. I even found "Killer's Kiss" enjoyable. Not vintage Kubrick, but certainly worth a watch.


Interesting. I saw it on Netflix instant but decided against watching it.


Criterion is releasing The Killing at the end of the summer and Killer's Kiss is going to be included as an extra. I'm looking forward to watching it.


Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:41 pm
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
"Paths of Glory" is not a lesser Kubrick film, or lesser film in general. Kubrick made high accomplishments in horror ("The Shining"), comedy ("Dr. Strangelove"), science fiction ("2001"), and drama ("Barry Lyndon"), but arguably there is equally a place at the pinnacle of anti-war films (a strong group of films as is) for "Paths of Glory", which retains every last ounce of punch that it contained over fifty years ago. To call it lesser is, frankly, a load of shit. AFI has no precedence in film discussion - it's like mentioning which films of Kubrick have higher IMdb rankings than the others.

There isn't a critic or film fan worth his salt who will not consider "Paths of Glory" among the very finest war films ever made - even the brutal, hurtful French classic "Wooden Crosses" doesn't contain the same critical respect or standing among the film cognoscenti. I'm sorry, but I disagree fully with your post in defense of that designation.


Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:26 am
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
And yes, I'm aware that I'm a bit past the point of fashionably late :)


Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:32 am
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
I've only seen a total of 5 of his movies and of the movies of his 2001, I've seen Eyes Wide Shut is the best. Paths of Glory, Spartacus and The Shining being the other 4 that I've seen.

And I'm sorry but The Shining is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen.


Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:41 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Evenflow8112 wrote:
"Paths of Glory" is not a lesser Kubrick film, or lesser film in general. Kubrick made high accomplishments in horror ("The Shining"), comedy ("Dr. Strangelove"), science fiction ("2001"), and drama ("Barry Lyndon"), but arguably there is equally a place at the pinnacle of anti-war films (a strong group of films as is) for "Paths of Glory", which retains every last ounce of punch that it contained over fifty years ago. To call it lesser is, frankly, a load of shit. AFI has no precedence in film discussion - it's like mentioning which films of Kubrick have higher IMdb rankings than the others.

There isn't a critic or film fan worth his salt who will not consider "Paths of Glory" among the very finest war films ever made - even the brutal, hurtful French classic "Wooden Crosses" doesn't contain the same critical respect or standing among the film cognoscenti. I'm sorry, but I disagree fully with your post in defense of that designation.


I think I made it perfectly clear that my distinction was an arbitrary one designed to start conversation, so...yeah.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 am
Profile
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
ilovemovies wrote:
And I'm sorry but The Shining is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen.

What's wrong with it?


Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:15 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Ken wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
And I'm sorry but The Shining is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen.

What's wrong with it?


Well I actually like The Shining, but I think it's poorly paced.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:14 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Ken wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
And I'm sorry but The Shining is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen.

What's wrong with it?


It was pretty dull. It tries to be thick with atmosphere but I don't think it worked and found it to be largely dull although I did enjoy the chase scene through the maze.

But the worst part of the movie, and it pains me to say this because I'm such a huge fan of his, is Jack Nicholson's performance. Worst performance he's ever given. There is over the top, there is so over the top that it falls and then there is Jack's performance. Yes, I know. it's suppose to be over the top. But it's so over the top that it's cartoonishly silly and laughable. I love Jack as much as the next guy, maybe even more so. But this has got to be the worst performance of his career.


Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
ilovemovies wrote:
I love Jack as much as the next guy, maybe even more so. But this has got to be the worst performance of his career.


Don't forget The Departed

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:17 am
Profile
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
ilovemovies wrote:
It was pretty dull. It tries to be thick with atmosphere but I don't think it worked and found it to be largely dull although I did enjoy the chase scene through the maze.

But the worst part of the movie, and it pains me to say this because I'm such a huge fan of his, is Jack Nicholson's performance. Worst performance he's ever given. There is over the top, there is so over the top that it falls and then there is Jack's performance. Yes, I know. it's suppose to be over the top. But it's so over the top that it's cartoonishly silly and laughable. I love Jack as much as the next guy, maybe even more so. But this has got to be the worst performance of his career.
First off: "dull" is a nothing criticism. It says no more about what you thought about the movie than simply calling it "good", "bad", "exciting", "boring", etc.

Which leaves Jack's performance. No, it's not naturalistic, but the movie doesn't call for naturalism, and might have been harmed by a more naturalistic performance. The same goes for subtlety. There is none in Jack's performance, but it's not what the film demands. Jack is an excellent actor, and a very intelligent actor. Every choice he makes in this movie is just as calculated as the choices he makes in Chinatown or About Schmidt. The catch is, this is a different style of movie, with different requirements. It is possible for a wild performance to remove the viewer from the story, but when the performance is in sync with the story's needs, I suspect it's more an issue of accepting the familiar and rejecting the unfamiliar for most audiences. A lot of modern viewers dislike performances that don't hang with the more realistic, post-Brando style, which overlooks the fact that there are many good actors--particularly prior to the Brando revolution--who didn't use that style and very often raised theatricality to a high art. That's the tradition that Nicholson is following with the performance in this movie.


Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:37 pm
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Oh please. Dull is a perfectly acceptable criticism. It doesn't say anything more about me other than I found it to be dull. It's a failing of the movie to be engage me in any way. If you think otherwise, then you might as well as say that opinions aren't opinions. That there are right responses and wrong ones. And that's bullshit. It's all completely subjective. What one finds engaging another person may not. That's the way life goes.

And yes, the movie isn't suppose to be realistic. I never suggested otherwise. Isn't Jack suppose to be deranged yet scary? He wasn't deranged I suppose but he wasn't remotely scary. I wasn't scared at all. I didn't find the movie scary or suspenseful in any way. The movie gave me very little reason to care. It was laughable. Cartoonish to a fault.


Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:14 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr