Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes 
Director

Post Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes
For a long time, I've wanted to make a thread about my favorite movie quotes. After all, the AFI list was boring, completely predictable, and well...bland. But these are movie quotes; I've never thought the whole matter should be taken all that seriously.

So with that in mind, I'll begin by saying that I haven't made a predetermined list of which quotes I think are better; I think that's kind of silly. I'm winging it; I know my favorite three or four movie quotes, but trying to rank 100 by how "good" they are seems a bit of overkill. And this is better than the AFI's list.

On the other hand, if no one's interested, I'll let this die its eventual death. But with that said, I suppose I'll line up #100.....

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:09 am
Director

Post Re: Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes
100. "My dick is brown, you dumb motherfucker."

Why it's great

Because it's funny. Aziz Ansari plays off of Seth Rogen's racism perfectly, and with neither giving an inch, it creates a deranged and hilarious scene. There's two other great lines in this short scene: "Fuck you, Saddam Hussein of Iraq," and "Why the fuck would I blow up Chick-fil-A, it's fuckin' delicious." I'll let you be the judge if I've made the right choice.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rXb0dKX7I

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 am
I loved this movie, and Aziz Ansari is great in everything I've seen him in. Including his stand-up tour.

Shall the rest of us indulge in some of our own favorite quotes in between your updates? If not, I'll shut up.

If so...

"Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical."

"No jury can declare a man guilty unless it's sure. We nine can't understand how you three are still so sure. Maybe you can tell us."

"You've got me... who's got you?"

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:20 pm
Director

Ken wrote:

Shall the rest of us indulge in some of our own favorite quotes in between your updates?

Sure thing. It's a thread about movie quotes, after all. I shouldn't be the one having all the fun.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:01 pm
Director

99. "Lady, I don't have the time."

Why it's great

Lee Marvin was a badass; we all know that. But this line, delivered at the end of 1964's The Killers, may be the zenith of his badassedry, as he delivers one of the best "kill lines" ever.

On a side note, The Killers is notable as being Ronald Reagan's final role, and his greatest. Who knows what might have happened had he played the heavy more often.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5KgrC95gqU

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:09 pm
Cool idea, and something that should make a very interesting and entertaining thread.

I've never seen The Killers, but I'm going to have to track it down now. The Lee Marvin/Don Siegel combo sounds like a winner.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:32 pm
Director

98. "I'm lookin' for a nigger named John Shaft."....."You just found him, wop."

Why it's great

In one short line, Richard Roundtree sums up the essence of John Shaft, and shows us the very reason why black audiences embraced Shaft back in 1971. Shaft was street smart; he didn't take shit off of anyone. He walked the streets of New York like he owned them. He was an authority figure, but he wasn't The Man. And was smooth with the ladies; it was like the song said, Shaft was a private dick who was a sex machine with all the chicks.

Given that we've had two generations of wisecracking, tough black heroes, it's sometimes hard to remember how revolutionary Shaft was. But for an audience used to being depicted as butlers, maids, and generally subservient to whites...I can't imagine what it was like to see this for the first time.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g54bChWeoQ&feature=feedlik

Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:13 pm
Director

97. "She'll be fine. It's not like it's going to rain or something."

Why it's great

It's one of those lines. You know what's coming, you can see it from a mile away, but it never fails to make you laugh. And the fact that Clark Griswold has strapped his dead mother-in-law to the roof of his car makes it all the more funny, because isn't that something we've all wanted to do at one time or another? Well, at least I have...

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkbYDFlINM

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:25 pm
Director

96. "What are these fuckin' iguanas doing on my coffee table?"

Why it's great

It's one step below the kind of Cage Rage we see later on in Bad Lieutenant, but this quote really captures his character so well: He's a man who's just barely keeping it together, and scenes like this set up the perfectly ambiguous ending of the film. Not to mention, the "soul music" part of this scene is completely unexpected trippy, and hilarious.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv0aAv0lJ3s

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:40 pm
Director

Before I post the next quote...

Comments are always welcome; do you like the movie (if you've seen it). Do you like the scene? I'm hoping I'm not the only person who's picked out these lines in the movies.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:17 pm
Director

95. "Your confusion is not rational. She is a healthy female of breeding age."

Why it's great

Well, it's Arnold, for starters. There were few who could pull off a one-liner like Schwarzenegger could. And Schwarzenegger was the only action hero of his era who could make such a serious line sound serious but also sound funny. Usually it's one way or the other; dramatic scenes in action movies tend to end up being campy. But Arnold always knew how to play it right.

Watch here (the line comes at about the 2:00 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXtFcgj-Y8

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 pm
Ken wrote:
I loved this movie, and Aziz Ansari is great in everything I've seen him in. Including his stand-up tour.

And informative too. I can't remember where it was, but have you heard him discuss the myth of thread count in bed sheets? That shit rocked my world.

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
99. "Lady, I don't have the time."

Why it's great

Lee Marvin was a badass; we all know that. But this line, delivered at the end of 1964's The Killers, may be the zenith of his badassedry, as he delivers one of the best "kill lines" ever.

On a side note, The Killers is notable as being Ronald Reagan's final role, and his greatest. Who knows what might have happened had he played the heavy more often.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5KgrC95gqU

I'll be honest. I saw and like The Killers a great deal but have absolutely no recollection of that line. Good thing you're posting youtube clips. Also: this list must contain a quote from Army of Darkness. I demand it!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:18 pm
Director

94. "Next time you have a little down time, find yourself a little bored, play with your nuts."

Why it's great

It's funny. I'm making no pretenses about it; this scene is immature and infantile. But I love it. I can't say I've ever played a game like this, though.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PAUSlCLXM&feature=fvwrel

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 pm
I've been meaning to come in here and tell you how cool I thought this idea was, Sexy Choco. So here I am, telling you that I think this idea is really cool. I'll comment more as I'm more familiar with the movies (I've only seen Observe & Report and Terminator 3). I'll be checking out The Killers pretty soon because of this thread. I've always been interested, but calling it the zenith of Lee Marvin's badassery has completely sold me.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:48 pm
Here's one that never ceases to crack my dad up. I can't blame him.

"Sometimes I just kill myself!" - The Joker

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I've been meaning to come in here and tell you how cool I thought this idea was, Sexy Choco. So here I am, telling you that I think this idea is really cool. I'll comment more as I'm more familiar with the movies (I've only seen Observe & Report and Terminator 3). I'll be checking out The Killers pretty soon because of this thread. I've always been interested, but calling it the zenith of Lee Marvin's badassery has completely sold me.

That's cool. And The Killers really is a great film. Some of these movies I'm quoting from are goofy fun, but The Killers is a hands-down classic, and I give it a full recommendation.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 pm
Director

93. "We can stay up late, swappin' manly stories, and in the morning I'm making waffles."

Why it's great

The Shrek series may be stale by now, but the first film was fresh and funny, and Eddie Murphy's smart-assed Donkey was the perfect counterbalance to Mike Myers' ogre. Lines like this added just the right amount of humor to the proceedings, and that's what made Shrek a good film for kids and adults.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYv2lHO7xSo

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:42 pm
Director

92. "Machete don't text."

Why it's great

It's a shame that it took so long for Danny Trejo to get noticed. He spent many years playing bit parts, but he could have been a great slam-bang action star in his younger years, shooting off one liners and and snapping necks with the likes of Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris and Michael Dudikoff. This line from Machete proves that he always had just the right amount of humor and badassedry to bring to his roles.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZGsuOvXlU

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:23 pm
Director

91. "Garbage day!"

Why it's great

This scene was supposed to be horrific. It is anything but; the acting is so bad, the attempts at terror so misplaced it becomes comic. Comic greatness, that is.

You really need to see the entire scene in its full context to truly grasp how ludicrous and hilarious it is. So I've provided it below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZF0FG55TKg

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:01 pm
Director

90. "You know how I know you're gay?"

Why it's great

Much of the dialogue in The 40-Year-Old Virgin was improvised, as was the case with this scene. But this is an example of how shooting from the hip and improvisation can result in something pretty funny. There's several different versions of this scene. However, I've included the best one below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkiIIk0ygks

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:49 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next