Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:53 pm

FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009) 
Site Admin

Post Re: FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009)
joshlovesmovies wrote:
Oh, and can anyone think of a recent film character more annoying than Trent? He invites all these kids over to his mansion and then sets all these rules in the form of terrible wisecracks once he arrives. He even ruined an otherwise great nude scene with his yapping about "perfect nipple placement."

SPOILER!!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yeah, but his "girlie" scream when Jason was coming for him was one of the movie's few highlights.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
I'm glad to see this film is doing so well at the box-office while The Uninvited pretty much sank like a stone as it might decrease the amount of lackluster remakes, this movie certainly sounds like a blast to me, though I probably won't get around to seeing it until next weekend.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
joshlovesmovies wrote:
Oh, and can anyone think of a recent film character more annoying than Trent? He invites all these kids over to his mansion and then sets all these rules in the form of terrible wisecracks once he arrives. He even ruined an otherwise great nude scene with his yapping about "perfect nipple placement."

SPOILER!!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yeah, but his "girlie" scream when Jason was coming for him was one of the movie's few highlights.

Very true, James.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:44 am
First of all: Thanks, James, for the excellent website. I've been reading your work for years, and have enjoyed every review. I've referred many a movie fan to your site -- keep up the good work.

Re: Friday the 13th. I'm sure there will be a sequel. After all, the next one will be Jason's thirteenth installation, if I'm counting correctly. I'm sure the producers are salivating at the prospect.

I'm sure I will watch this movie. Who am I kidding? I'll buy it on DVD. I like Jason, probably for some of the reasons it gets criticized by so many. To me, the franchise is like an old friend, comforting in its sameness. Sure, I know what's going to happen next, but that's part of its charm. It's like watching a low-scoring baseball game. Not much happens, but you can doze on the couch and enjoy it while you're relaxing on a Saturday afternoon.

Any good slasher movies since Halloween (the granddaddy of them all, I agree)?

I vote for a couple that you may not put in that category, but they at least technically feature a serial killer:

Silence of the Lambs, and to a lesser degree, Manhunter.

The Cell. A very off-the-wall take on the inner workings of a killer's mind. I really liked this, and I usually steer clear of J-Lo. She did a good job, and who doesn't like Vincent Donofrio?

I also have to give props to the Nightmare on Elm Street series. The first one still creeps me out, and I like the second one more than just about anyone else, it seems.

Peace

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:52 pm
I have to disagree with Mr. B on this one. I thought this movie was funny at times, scary at times, and never boring. Yeah they were cookie cutter characters to an extent, but very few slashers are going to rise to the level of Nightmare on Elm Street for character development and overall "goodness" as a movie. But there is a reason that most people put that film in their top horror movies of all time. I will agree with Mr. B on one thing, the first 15 minutes were terrific. The whole theater was clapping when the title screen flashed up.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:42 pm
Vexer wrote:
I'm glad to see this film is doing so well at the box-office while The Uninvited pretty much sank like a stone as it might decrease the amount of lackluster remakes, this movie certainly sounds like a blast to me, though I probably won't get around to seeing it until next weekend.

I liked the Uninvited, but maybe it was just me. The only thing better than one version of a great story is two versions of the same story. ;)

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:43 pm
I respect James reviews, but I liked this one quite a bit. Although I've made it known to James in the past that I'm quite a horror hound. I'd put this one just behind the first 3. Much better than any zombie Jason movie.

The absence of Manfredini's score was a shame, but I often didn't mind the more techno beat that reminded me a bit of Carpenter.
The beginning was very good. The production value was very high as many reviews have pointed out. Friday has never looked better. A few slow downs, a few missed opportunities for some creative kills, a couple of times the camera was zoomed in far too much, but overall quite pleasing. Friday movies never get good reviews, but this was wasn't didn't seem quite as bad. I saw Ebert gave it a C and the NY times gave it a mild thumbs up. Wow hell did freeze over.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:17 pm
I don't really "get" the slasher genre. It's like producers just go down a checklist of blood, sex, nudity, throw in some half-hearted screams, and maybe toss in a familiar name (maybe two like in Freddy vs. Jason). And yet the audience never goes away. I'm not sure there is another genre that plays so much by the book without inspiration. For every "Halloween" there is a million boring knockoffs (like the Halloween sequels).

I guess new teenagers replace the ones who've grown tired of the same old same old slasher flicks.

By the way, I love the website James, thank you very much.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:09 pm
A Different James wrote:
I don't really "get" the slasher genre. It's like producers just go down a checklist of blood, sex, nudity, throw in some half-hearted screams, and maybe toss in a familiar name (maybe two like in Freddy vs. Jason). And yet the audience never goes away. I'm not sure there is another genre that plays so much by the book without inspiration. For every "Halloween" there is a million boring knockoffs (like the Halloween sequels).

I guess new teenagers replace the ones who've grown tired of the same old same old slasher flicks.

By the way, I love the website James, thank you very much.

Comedy. For every genuinely funny movie there are a thousand comedies that fail miserably and yet make tons of money.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:30 pm
BamainBoston wrote:
Comedy. For every genuinely funny movie there are a thousand comedies that fail miserably and yet make tons of money.

I suppose that's true, but I still think if you compared the average ratings of rotten tomatoes of slashers to comedies, comedies would have the edge. To me, slashers seem even more formulaic and insipid. At least with comedies you generally get someone like Kevin James or Seth Rogan who may not be always hilarious but I generally would expect them put forth a modicum of effort as well as display some natural charisma. That's why I would say at least a movie like Mall Cop is mildly entertaining. I don't see that in the endless number of horror remakes and sequels with expendable actors and complete and unabashed unoriginality.

I do agree somewhat with your point, though. For every Forgetting Sarah Marshall's there are a few Pink Panther's (Steve Martin's ones, of course).

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 am
Yeah slashers are formulaic i'll admit, but I couldn't care less cause I find most of them very entertaining, i'm not big on comedies myself.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:57 am
HomerJ wrote:
First of all: Thanks, James, for the excellent website. I've been reading your work for years, and have enjoyed every review. I've referred many a movie fan to your site -- keep up the good work.

Re: Friday the 13th. I'm sure there will be a sequel. After all, the next one will be Jason's thirteenth installation, if I'm counting correctly. I'm sure the producers are salivating at the prospect.

I'm sure I will watch this movie. Who am I kidding? I'll buy it on DVD. I like Jason, probably for some of the reasons it gets criticized by so many. To me, the franchise is like an old friend, comforting in its sameness. Sure, I know what's going to happen next, but that's part of its charm. It's like watching a low-scoring baseball game. Not much happens, but you can doze on the couch and enjoy it while you're relaxing on a Saturday afternoon.

Any good slasher movies since Halloween (the granddaddy of them all, I agree)?

I vote for a couple that you may not put in that category, but they at least technically feature a serial killer:

Silence of the Lambs, and to a lesser degree, Manhunter.

The Cell. A very off-the-wall take on the inner workings of a killer's mind. I really liked this, and I usually steer clear of J-Lo. She did a good job, and who doesn't like Vincent Donofrio?

I also have to give props to the Nightmare on Elm Street series. The first one still creeps me out, and I like the second one more than just about anyone else, it seems.

Peace

I feel the same way, it's like an old friend. As long as Jason sticks to killing horny teenagers I'll still watch.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:46 am
Gaffer

I had the perfect audience experience watching this movie on opening day. 75% of the audience were older Jason fans... and the cheering and wisecracks they made was hilarious. I don't think the movie would've been nearly as fun without it.

Every time I break out the movie and watch it, the memories come flooding back. Not a good movie by any means, but fun with the right crowd.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:21 am