Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
dont panic - coldplay

the garden state soundtrack.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:32 pm
An Evening With Kevin Smith. I listen to it every night before I go to sleep when I'm in Sunnyvale. Either him or Chris Rock. I need to have some sort of noise when I'm sleeping, excluding the fan which is always on. I should probably ween myself off these habits, since they're jacking power and all.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:41 am
Bill Hicks clips on Youtube.

What a genius this man was, and what a shame he left so early.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:55 pm
Director

Re-listening to "Death Magnetic" by Metallica. I have COMPLETELY forgiven them for the mess that was "St. Anger". "Death Magnetic" is top-notch, honestly I think its some of their best stuff. Its gritty, hardcore music that's what made them special back in the 80's. Favorite track by far is "All Nightmare Long", followed by "That Was Just Your Life". "Suicide and Redemption" is an excellent 10 minute instrumental. I love this CD, and I think the last CD I loved by Metallica was the "Black Album"....which was almost twenty years ago. Wow.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Hail To The Thief by Radiohead. The album got played maybe five times in 2003 and collected dust until a week ago. It seemed like an easy album for them when I heard it; so many of the songs were just barely written and half-ideas were stretched to 4 minutes. I must have been full of shit for that week because it's a great record.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:30 am
Hans Zimmer - Drink Up Me Hearties.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:07 pm
Cinematographer

I've recently gone on an Indy music expedition. I would look into these if I were you -

Illinoise - Sufjan Stephens
Summer In Abaddon - Pinback
Hope for the Hopeless - Brett Dennen

Im also addicted to the album A Ghost Is Born by Wilco. I have yet to find anyone else who agrees with me.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:48 am
I like A Ghost Is Born.

I'm currently listening to "Dark Was The Night", the latest Red Hot charity compilation record. Some good stuff on there.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:17 pm
Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'. Oh Watchmen.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:42 pm
Weezer - Hash Pipe

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:22 pm
Currently rocking the shuffle on iTunes. Playing right now is...

Plastic Bertrand - Ça plane pour moi

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:54 pm
Korn - Innocent Bystander

The only good song on their latest album, I actually like alot of it, although Korn's expiration seems to have been reached a few years ago.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:07 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Im also addicted to the album A Ghost Is Born by Wilco. I have yet to find anyone else who agrees with me.

I love A Ghost Is Born. But I agree, most people seem to dismiss it.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:19 pm
Trevor wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

Good album, no doubt. After Yankee Hotel Foxtrot people were expecting to hear something either similar or wildly different, I suppose. The only problem with the album comes in two parts: "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" and "Less Than You Think". The first one of the two seems way, way too easy for a band this talented. The second one ends with over 10 minutes of migraine-approximating tones. Both are too indulgent. Anyway, it's what I'm listening to now.

Next up is Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna... just as indulgent as Wilco's biggest efforts but far more entertaining.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Trevor wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

Next up is Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna... just as indulgent as Wilco's biggest efforts but far more entertaining.

Hissing Fauna is one of my favorite albums from the last decade.
Skeletal Lamping is the difficult one.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 am
Trevor wrote:
Hissing Fauna is one of my favorite albums from the last decade.
Skeletal Lamping is the difficult one.

Difficult but DAMN if it doesn't contain some of his best ideas all diced up, blended together, and spit back out as a genuine companion to Abbey Road's second side. It's an entire hour of nothing but Abbey Road's second side for the love of cheese. Pitchfork gives it a negative review and all of a sudden the kids turn against it.

Now playing: The Hazards of Love. Remember when The Decemberists were really, really good? It's getting fainter for me but, regardless, a genuine thanks to iTunes releasing the album 10 days earlier than they were supposed to.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:13 am
Trevor wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

I would love Wilco so much more if their existance didn't mean the destruction of Uncle Tupelo.

Nevertheless, I really dug their mid-90's work, especially 'Being There'.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:35 pm
Blitzen Trapper - Furr

And I love Wilco - I saw them open for Neil Young in December, and although Neil was awesome, I thought Wilco was the better band that night.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:11 am
Director

Slipknot - "Volume 3 - The Subliminal Verses"

Say what you want about the creepy masks, the chaotic mess that was "Iowa", and the weird lyrics, this album is golden. A beautiful mix of heavy metal meets melodic alternative rock, with a Grammy winning single ("Before I Forget") and arguably one of the best songs of this decade in my mind ("Vermillion", the gradual tone change, to the smash ending). Maybe I overrate them, a lot of my friends say they suck because the guitarists just use effects. It still takes talent to do that. That said, they scare the hell out of me whenever I see them in costume, but musically, especially this album, extremely talented.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
I recently listened to Fall Out Boy's, Lily Allen's, and Kanye West's new album. Saying Fall Out Boy is good will probably ostracize me from the board, so I'll leave that one alone. Lily Allen I'd like to listen to again, because the only notable track at the moment is Fuck You. That one's funny. 808s and Heartbreaks has a few good tracks, but is by and large not impressive. I admire him for doing something different, though.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next