Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 pm

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 
Site Admin

Post HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2
Click here for the review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2
any chance that this movie could get Oscar love like Return of the King did?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:01 pm
Quote:
It's fair to say that the most affecting sequences are tied into the unfurling of Snape's background, but the one that strikes with the most force is only alluded to, not explicitly described, in Rowling's novel.

I'm curious as to what you are referring to in this passage?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:07 pm
ShrunkenHead wrote:
Quote:
It's fair to say that the most affecting sequences are tied into the unfurling of Snape's background, but the one that strikes with the most force is only alluded to, not explicitly described, in Rowling's novel.

Just a guess:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Snape's unrequited love for Lily Potter?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm
No surprise that, like it's source material, there is never any mention or hint at Dumbledore being gay.

I've always suspected that, given Rowling's wicked sense of humour, this 'fact' about the canon was simply in response to a stupid question (Rowling has been known to answer stupid questions with cryptic answers).

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:01 pm
Site Admin

ShrunkenHead wrote:
Quote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
There's a scene with Snape cradling Lily's body next to Harry's crib which I don't recall being in the books. We know Snape loved Lily and pleaded with Voldemort to spare her and Dumbledore to protect her, but I don't remember the books explicitly stating that he discovered Lily's body.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

James Berardinelli wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
There's a scene with Snape cradling Lily's body next to Harry's crib which I don't recall being in the books. We know Snape loved Lily and pleaded with Voldemort to spare her and Dumbledore to protect her, but I don't remember the books explicitly stating that he discovered Lily's body.

That is most definitely not in the book, and I can't believe they found a way to make that story even more heart wrenching.

Got my tickets for Saturday night and in 2D of course.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Well we already bought our IMAX 3D tickets thinking the 3D would be ok...and the only way to see in IMAX is the 3D format. But JB's review not too kind of the 3D :shock: Dangit. Dangit. Seems like all the nice size and good audio etc...are showing it in 3D in the Dallas area.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:01 pm
Gaffer

Thanks for the 3D-tip.

So looking at both movies together, would you give it a *** due to the weak Part 1, or would the whole be at ***1/2?

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:27 am
The biggest smile in quite a while just came to me when I logged on and saw the ***1/2. Thanks James.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:06 am
Just came from the midnight showing (the movie's being released here in Peru one day before the States. Yay for us!) It was, simply put, amazing. And yeah, I saw it in 2D. (Although the line for the 3D showing was longer than ours... had to arrive at the cinema four hours before the movie was slated to start, though.) Anyway, it was a very emotional, explosive and exciting experience. People cried, people cheered, and I was definitely satisfied by the results.

I'm planning on seeing it at least three more times, but if what James says about the 3D is true, I'm definitely NOT seeing it in such a format. It would be a waste. Anyway, I actually read James' review before going to the cinema, so my expectations were pretty high to say the truth. Fortunately I wasn't disappointing. I guess the only bad thing is that, being a Potter fan, now there's no more movies to see. That definitely makes me sad. Oh well...

Anyway, awesome movie. Really, really good, and more satisfying than part one.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
The biggest smile in quite a while just came to me when I logged on and saw the ***1/2. Thanks James.

yeah, me too! Im not sure why because I really liked part I despite its mixed review here. Usually when James goes 3.5 or higher I like it no matter what, though. It's funny but retrospectively I bet a lot of reviews of the first two movies would be lowered compared to the rest.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:38 am
Site Admin

Timobi wrote:
Well we already bought our IMAX 3D tickets thinking the 3D would be ok...and the only way to see in IMAX is the 3D format. But JB's review not too kind of the 3D :shock: Dangit. Dangit. Seems like all the nice size and good audio etc...are showing it in 3D in the Dallas area.

In all fairness, I saw it in Real3D not IMAX 3-D. Maybe the latter, which uses a different polarization scheme for 3-D, will look better... Not likely, though since both essentially require viewers to wear sunglasses while watching a movie. Unless they punch up the light levels, it's going to be too dark.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:43 am
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Timobi wrote:

In all fairness, I saw it in Real3D not IMAX 3-D. Maybe the latter, which uses a different polarization scheme for 3-D, will look better... Not likely, though since both essentially require viewers to wear sunglasses while watching a movie. Unless they punch up the light levels, it's going to be too dark.

In any case I don't know why would someone want to watch a movie in 3D which is already dark and muddy and full of shadows (unless it's the only showing you could get tickets for - it happened to a couple of friends.)

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 pm
oh, and by the way, even though the movie was pretty much perfect for me...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
...the only thing that kiiiinda disappointed me was the epilogue. Not the scene itself, which was sweet and magical enough, and much less awkward than in the novel, but the makeup to make the actors look older. It didn't look bad, but it looked... weird. I really didn't know what to expect (and I still don't know), but I think I didn't expect what we got.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:28 pm
Timobi wrote:

Does any IMAX theatre show movies in 2D? Since IMAX is a film format that is nothing to do with 3D other than some bright spark realised it would make a good 3D format...

(before the arguments start, IMAX is simply 70mm film, nothing else)

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:09 am
Gaffer

Dragonbeard wrote:
Timobi wrote:
...and the only way to see in IMAX is the 3D format.

Does any IMAX theatre show movies in 2D? Since IMAX is a film format that is nothing to do with 3D other than some bright spark realised it would make a good 3D format...

I think Timobi meant that the only way to see HP7 pt.2 at the IMAX is in 3D; there's no 2D IMAX option for this particular movie. I know that the IMAX near me plays both 2D and 3D movies (and yes, luckily it is a REAL IMAX) :D

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:42 am
Just came back.

God, this is almost as bad as Toy Story 3. At least I knew the story beforehand, so I was able to hold it in throughout pretty much of the movie. Then came the last scene, with this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIh-OmRGmU. That made things came full circle, and, along with Toy Story 3 last year, marked another childhood end for me. :(

***1/2 or 9.5

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 am
James,

I am just curious... If you (or any print critic) had given this movie a bad review, would you have been able to release the review as early in the week as you did?

Can you enlighten us again as to what criteria determines how early a review can be released, for movies you are able to pre-screen, of course...

Thanks...

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:46 am
peng wrote:
Just came back.

God, this is almost as bad as Toy Story 3. At least I knew the story beforehand, so I was able to hold it in throughout pretty much of the movie. Then came the last scene, with this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIh-OmRGmU. That made things came full circle, and, along with Toy Story 3 last year, marked another childhood end for me. :(

As bad as Toy Story 3?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am