It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:07 pm

July 12, 2011: "The Halftime Top 10, 2011 Edition" 
Site Admin

Post July 12, 2011: "The Halftime Top 10, 2011 Edition"
Click here to read topic.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: July 12, 2011: "The Halftime Top 10, 2011 Edition"
My favorite so far this year has been HANNA.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:20 pm
Producer

My favorite movies of 2011 so far are, in no particular, Source Code, X-Men: First Class, Paul, Soul Surfer (yes, THIS, to me, was the year's biggest most pleasant surprise and was actually incredibly moving) and Tree of Life despite the fact that the first 30 minutes aren't that good because a) annoying voice over narration and b) the movie moves way too fast, jumping from scene to scene way too fast and thus, consequently, making it impossible to truly soak in the gorgeous and beautiful imagery. But from the space and on, the movie was at times incredible although there were still the occasional annoyance of the occasional v.o.

Super 8 would come in at #6. I love that movie too even though the ending felt a bit rushed.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:35 am
James, this is somewhat overdue, but I was disappointed you chose not to review Fair Game - the Sean Penn/Naomi Watts film about the Valerie Plame affair. It was a late but worthy entry in my personal top 10 of last year. I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:04 pm
I don't think there are too many surprises on JB's list (apart from the date posted. Checking something twice takes really long, apparently...) but I was pleased to read the introduction. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say that a certain list "is shit" because of such and such ranking (I've probably done that too). Lists are a great guide to finding movies. You'll never agree with the order. That's how it's supposed to work.

James, are there any 2011 releases that you liked and would recommend but did not review? You also said that "I am aware of numerous well-respected foreign and independent films I have been unable to see." Any specific titles that you really wanted to check out but just couldn't? I'm still quite disappointed that you didn't have the time to check out Dogtooth. The forum really seemed to love it. Well, apart from one of your namesakes.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:26 pm
Director

I'll take James's word on Season of the Witch. My worst of the year so far is Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, which James hopefully managed to avoid. This is one of those experiences than can happen when you go into a theater blind (i.e. no reviews).

Best of the year's more difficult. My favorite's Cave of Forgotten Dreams, but that's not really comparable with dramatic films. Really liked Source Code, The Adjustment Bureau, Hanna, Midnight in Paris, Super 8. I suspect if I'd seen Kung Fu Panda 2 in 2-D, it would have made the list. I've seen The Tree of Life, and have decidedly mixed feelings about it. I haven't seen Bloodrayne: The Third Reich, so I don't know how it compares.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:57 pm
Dylan Dog actually looks pretty fun to me and i'll be seeing it when it hits DVD later this month, I would've seen it in theaters if it didn't disappear so fast.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:04 pm
Producer

I think Dylan Dog looks positively dreadful and was not surprised that it never really got much of a theatrical release if it got any at all. My least favorite movie of the year so far would be The Roommate, a laughable attempt to ape Single White Female. Leighton Meester, who I thought was absolutely wonderful in the criminally underrated Country Strong (my favorite film of 2010), was laughably bad in this movie. I also didn't like Priest and unlike The Roommate, which I expected to be bad, I was actually looking forward to Priest. I thought it looked like a really cool vampire action flick. And I also dug Legion which has the same leading man (Paul Bettany) and the same director. Plus, Maggie Q was in the movie and I like her a lot. But the movie was utter crap. It was drab and murky and darkly lit. The action wasn't anything to write home about and the characters and story was non existent. A disappointment on every level.

I just realized that Cam Gigandet is in BOTH movies! The guy seriously needs to fire his agent. He's an OKAY actor but he's been in mostly crap since I first remember seeing him on The OC.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 pm
I thought Priest was alright, the action was competently done and the bad guy was alot of fun, overall it was an alright timewaster. I have no idea who the hell Cam is though.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:32 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I thought Priest was alright, the action was competently done and the bad guy was alot of fun, overall it was an alright timewaster. I have no idea who the hell Cam is though.

I agree, Priest was just meh. Although why was it released in May? It was nowhere near good enough to be released in the summer, and it was perfect dumping material.

On another note, why did JB say the worst movie of the year was Season of the Witch (which I found perfectly passable) when he gave a lower rating to Zookeeper?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Vexer wrote:

The main bad guy is played by Karl Urban who is a good actor. And I thought he was completely and totally wasted in this movie. One of MANY disappointments of the movie.

Cam Gigandet played Bettany's "sidekick" of sorts in the movie.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:02 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

The main bad guy is played by Karl Urban who is a good actor. And I thought he was completely and totally wasted in this movie. One of MANY disappointments of the movie.

I wasn't dissapointed in the film because I mostly saw it out of boredom and I wasn't expecting it to be much more then an average timewaster, and it more or less met my expectations, as far as vampire films go, it's certianly better then the mediocre 30 Days Of Night.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 am
moviemkr7 wrote:

On another note, why did JB say the worst movie of the year was Season of the Witch (which I found perfectly passable) when he gave a lower rating to Zookeeper?

Take another look at JB's cutoff days for his halftime list

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:09 am
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I wasn't dissapointed in the film because I mostly saw it out of boredom and I wasn't expecting it to be much more then an average timewaster, and it more or less met my expectations, as far as vampire films go, it's certianly better then the mediocre 30 Days Of Night.

What? Vex c'mon dude...you think Priest was better than 30 Days of Night? No the tits way

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:29 pm
Assistant Director

Patrick wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Take another look at JB's cutoff days for his halftime list

Oh yeah... :P

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Yes, I honestly do tihnk Priest was a better film, I didn't really care about any of the characters in 30 Days, it was at least 20 minutes too long for it's own good and the vampires themselves weren't the least bit interesting or intimidating.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 pm
I have heard a lot of good things about Midnight In Paris so Ill probably check it out. Hanna was probably my favorite movie so far, and I have seen it multiple times and it never gets boring. Rango was amazing and I liked Super 8 but I don't really think it lived up to the hype

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:36 am