Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
Jeff Wilder wrote:
My name is Jeff Wilder as you probably guessed from the ID. I am 32 years old and I live in Florida. I've read Reelviews since 1997. I don't always agree with James, in fact there are reviews where I've strongly disagreed with him. But even when I don't agree, he always makes his case in a logical manner.

I've always loved movies since I first started to watch them. I also love music and books. After graduating from high school in 1997, I went to the local community college for 2 years. Studied English with the goal of becoming a writer. Left college (minus a degree) after 2 years, partly on account of low grades, partly on account of diminished desire. Went on to work a series of jobs. Wrote a lot and read a lot and of course saw a lot of movies.

It was while working at a computer tech support company that I decided I wanted to be a filmmaker. I sat down, wrote a script for a movie based on my experience at that company and set out to film it. Got fired before I could actually get the film made. Also I realized the script, while okay for a first effort, was unwieldy. I then wrote 5 more scripts in a 4 year period.

Currently working with Kickstarter to raise money to shoot my first feature film Dead Man's Lead. It's a dark comedy I wrote.

Influences: Martin Scorsese, Paul Thomas Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, David Lynch, Robert Altman, Spike Lee, The Coen Brothers, Brian De Palma, Wong Kar-Wai, Danny Boyle, David Fincher, Coppola (for Apocalypse Now) and Richard Linklater.

All time favorite movie? If I had to pick only one...Goodfellas.

Bless you Jeff...for following your desire. I deeply admire that. And welcome to this sausage fest of a party that is the RFV. Let us know how that goes...

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:27 pm
Director

Thanks everyone.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 pm
Gaffer

Hey everyone, I don't believe I've intorduced myself yet. I'm Catt. I've been around for awile, you may know me as the crazy person who is obsessed with Transformers...hahaha. Sorry, I have other interests too. I like to spend my time drawing and painting, or working on a jewelry project. Exciting, huh? My local collage kicked me out, so...

Anyway, since this is a movie site, my favorite movie growing up was The Rock- oh no! not a Bay movie! Yes its true. I like action movies. I like comic book superhero movies, too. The kind of movies I don't like are romance and definately not romatic comidies...ewww. Not typical for a girl, but I don't understand romance anyway! :lol:

I'm somewhat excited for Transformers: Dark of the Moon to come out, expect to hear more from me!

Wed May 25, 2011 1:42 pm
An official welcome to your official introduction, Catt. Kicked out, huh? Everyone needs a sordid past. I was going to ask why you identified yourself as crazy, but then I realised it's because you love Michael Bay movies. So...yeah, you're crazy. I like some of them too, but...shhhh! Don't tell anyone!

Wed May 25, 2011 2:29 pm
Hi Catt, it's awesome to have a female on this board, espeically one who's tastes in films are very similar to mine.

Wed May 25, 2011 2:47 pm
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:
Hi Catt, it's awesome to have a female on this board, espeically one who's tastes in films are very similar to mine.

:D

Mon May 30, 2011 5:31 pm
Gaffer

Hello Everyone

My name is Michael and I'm from Switzerland. I have been reading Reelviews for almost 10 years and I thought it's time to post my second post! I studied international business at San Diego State where I lived for 5 years. I used to go to the nearby amc at least one time per week. Now I'm back in Europe, have a family (wife and son) and go maybe 3 times per year to a movie theater! ;) My wife and I still love movies and we watch dvd's about 2 to 4 times per week. Unfortunately, our tastes are not always the same; she like the usual girl movies (romantic comedies) whereas I prefer the strange ones (horror, thriller, etc.) :D !

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:11 am
Critic

Michael Knight wrote:
Hello Everyone

My name is Michael and I'm from Switzerland. I have been reading Reelviews for almost 10 years and I thought it's time to post my second post! I studied international business at San Diego State where I lived for 5 years. I used to go to the nearby amc at least one time per week. Now I'm back in Europe, have a family (wife and son) and go maybe 3 times per year to a movie theater! ;) My wife and I still love movies and we watch dvd's about 2 to 4 times per week. Unfortunately, our tastes are not always the same; she like the usual girl movies (romantic comedies) whereas I prefer the strange ones (horror, thriller, etc.) :D !

Nice to meet you, and welcome to the forums! Notice how pleasant I'm being now so that when I disagree with you harshly about a movie in the near future, you know it's not personal :D

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:49 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Michael Knight wrote:
Hello Everyone

Nice to meet you, and welcome to the forums! Notice how pleasant I'm being now so that when I disagree with you harshly about a movie in the near future, you know it's not personal :D

I second the Kunz's welcome. We have members from all over the world, but I believe you're our first Swiss. I was a *huge* Knight Rider fan so you've already got on my good side, Michael.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:26 pm
Post Re: JAMES
Hi,

I figure this is as good a place as any to introduce myself (as a quick search didn't turn up such a thread).

I am on the west coast of Canada (how many Canadians do we have on here?) and have been reading reelviews for close to 7 or 8 years now. I joined to get more involved in the community and have some fellow people to talk films with, even if I know little (edit:nothing) about the technical aspects of film-making.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 pm
Critic

CasualCritic wrote:
Hi,

I figure this is as good a place as any to introduce myself (as a quick search didn't turn up such a thread).

I am on the west coast of Canada (how many Canadians do we have on here?) and have been reading reelviews for close to 7 or 8 years now. I joined to get more involved in the community and have some fellow people to talk films with, even if I know little (edit:nothing) about the technical aspects of film-making.

No worries Casual Critic. We're all film fans here, not filmmakers. You'll fit in like "one of those little round pegs."

...WHAT MOVIE?

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:04 pm
Director

CasualCritic wrote:
Hi,

Welcome aboard. Don't worry about the technical stuff. Whole there are some filmmakers on here, most of the people are movie fans.

Not sure how many Canadians.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:11 pm
CasualCritic wrote:
Hi,

I third the greeting. We have a few people here with aspirations of getting into film but they're the minority. I think you'll find mostly casual fans like yourself. But, it's a nice balance to hear a differing, sometimes technical opinion from someone who knows their stuff. So we have both bases covered.

Good question about Canadian members. You know, at the moment I can't recall a single one. That's strange because we're very much a global forum. Welcome aboard, Canuck CasualCritic!

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:32 pm
Maybe the Canadians are all hiding in the background, waiting for the chance to take over the board.....

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:07 am
Producer

My name is Lee. I'm 29 and from Blackburn, in Lancashire, England.

Work in what can broadly be described as IT. I'm married (3 years) and have a 2 year old daughter.

Post mostly from work which makes me a naughty boy indeed. Been reading James' reviews since I first logged onto Rotten Tomatoes about 4 years ago.

I also think Hugh Grant is a shit actor.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:22 am
NotHughGrant wrote:
My name is Lee. I'm 29 and from Blackburn, in Lancashire, England.

Work in what can broadly be described as IT. I'm married (3 years) and have a 2 year old daughter.

Post mostly from work which makes me a naughty boy indeed. Been reading James' reviews since I first logged onto Rotten Tomatoes about 4 years ago.

I also think Hugh Grant is a shit actor.

An official welcome, Lee. I see we have a lot of things in common (well, minus the location, the wife and child, the 4 year Reelviews fandom and the complete disdain for Hugh Grant).

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:04 pm
Wait, Ed, you like Hugh Grant? The guy who plays the same character in each film? The Love, Actually guy?

I'm de-friending you on Facebook immediately.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:18 pm
Critic

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Wait, Ed, you like Hugh Grant? The guy who plays the same character in each film? The Love, Actually guy?

Hugh Grant is our generation's Cary Grant: he plays the same role in every film, but he plays it well.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:16 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Hugh Grant is our generation's Cary Grant: he plays the same role in every film, but he plays it well.

I can see why women like him, but I don't get his appeal at all, he mostly just bores the crap out of me, I actually wish he'd do more films like Extreme Measures and less middling rom-coms like Two Weeks Notice.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:32 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

I can see why women like him, but I don't get his appeal at all, he mostly just bores the crap out of me, I actually wish he'd do more films like Extreme Measures and less middling rom-coms like Two Weeks Notice.

I'm not really a fan or non-fan of Grant. I was always fairly ambivalent about him. He always seemed fairly likable even if his choice in scripts was questionable and the LA incident was damning.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:52 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next