Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:20 am

Show Me Love (1998) 
Post Show Me Love (1998)
Since I trust James Kunz, I watched the DVD of "Show Me Love" (1998) AKA Fucking Amal (referring to the Swedish dead end small town desperately behind the times).
I think it is a wonderful movie, deeply understanding the troubled mind of teenage girls in high school - so different from your average Schmollywood teenage flick. The two lead actresses have been chosen wisely - they are easy on the eye but not knockout beauties which would distract any male viewer. Just right.

The only thing which deeply distracted me was the image quality. The film grain is beyond ridiculous. It has been shot on Super 16mm to cut down costs to about 60% lesss. That's a good idea. Now look at pics like "The Hurt Locker", "Vera Drake", The Wrestler" and "Black Swan". All of these also were shot on Super 16mm, but to way better results. I guess it's the film stock, digital transfer and noise reduction which makes the difference.

I would love if someone with the financial means, to go to the trouble and de-noise the image and come up with a "watchable" movie. The visible grain is worse (trust me) than my old 70s Super 8 movies. I don't know what went wrong technically. The film itself is great. It deserves professional digital enhancement.

I don't mind any film grain which is used as an artistical element, to provide a retro-documentary feel. But in this movie we are seeing and "ant colony" or "swarms of golfballs" - it is way too distracting.
Comments anyone?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:47 pm
Post Re: Show Me Love (1998)
It possibly has a poor transfer in need of being remastered. See if other people who have seen it (it's back on my Instant Queue Kunzie, I swear) have the same complaint.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:21 pm
Just one question, why did you post this thread on the open forum and not the general movie discussion forum?

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:30 pm
Vexer wrote:
Just one question, why did you post this thread on the open forum and not the general movie discussion forum?

Because it's regarding the transfer of the movie as opposed to the movie itself I guess.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:05 am
Vexer wrote:

Because it is tech stuff related to DVD quality. The general movie discussion forum is almost invariably about the content of a movie, the screenplay, the use of CGI, etc. It is about how a film is percieved by the viewer, not how it is made. Directors are being discussed, the aesthetics of a movie are discussed, even box office performance is being discussed, but never the tech stuff (which is what interests me more than everything else, but that's me). Have you ever seen a post in the general movie discussion forum about why so often in a dialog you hear a person start talking off camera, then the picture follows? Why doesn't the cut occur exactly when the person starts talking? I know why (the editing considers how our brain works), but not what is the recommended timing in what situation. And when the reaction shot should occur. This is just a small example of stuff I am very interested in (among general film discussion of course). Same about lighting. Why are some movies of the 40s, 50s and 60s lit in such a beautiful way - and why are many movies of the 70s a lit in such a shoddy way (everything bathed in white unnatural light)? I never read anything anywhere about it. I would die to learn more about these things. I see people in general don't seem to be interested in that or at least don't post about it. I respect that. So any of my "tech stuff" will come here until someone tells me otherwise. This is just trying to do things right.

As soon as I am in doubt, I'd rather post here.

EDIT: to sum up my ramblings: I am more (but NOT exclusively) interested in the cinematographic aspects of cinema than in screenplay. That's why I can enjoy movies like Koyaanisqatsi, which might be for some other people a chore to watch.

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:35 am
JJoshay wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Because it's regarding the transfer of the movie as opposed to the movie itself I guess.

Somehow I didn't see your post. Yep, that's exactly the explanation!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:57 am