Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Don't Buy a Vizio Blu Ray Player (aka: Electronics Reviews) 
Director

Post Don't Buy a Vizio Blu Ray Player (aka: Electronics Reviews)
Just bought a Vizio blu ray player tonight (had to replace the broken PS3). Turns out it doesn't actually play discs. Correction: it loaded a disc once. Every other time I tried to load a disc (three different discs, 5-10 times each) it did not work. Piece of crap.

Post electronics reviews.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:10 pm
Post Re: Don't Buy a Vizio Blu Ray Player (aka: Electronics Reviews)
One more reason for me not to waste my money on Blu-Ray, i've had a Samsung DVD V-2000 for eight years and it still works almost perfectly(the remote, not so much)

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 pm
Vexer wrote:
One more reason for me not to waste my money on Blu-Ray

Because someone on the internet bought a defective blu-ray player? You’re a strange guy.

I’ve bought crappy DVD players too.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:11 am
AJR wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Because someone on the internet bought a defective blu-ray player? You’re a strange guy.

I’ve bought crappy DVD players too.

What do you care?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:41 am
I’m just trying to understand the mindset that would use that piece of information to help back up an opinion like that. I’m just curious, I guess.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:03 am
firefly wrote:
Just bought a Vizio blu ray player tonight (had to replace the broken PS3). Turns out it doesn't actually play discs. Correction: it loaded a disc once. Every other time I tried to load a disc (three different discs, 5-10 times each) it did not work. Piece of crap.

I hope you managed to return it without too many difficulties.

I'd like to take a moment to put in a positive word for a little device I bought a year ago: the Patriot Box Office. It's quite the remarkable little device when run stock, but it's so damn mod-able. Now, I haven't done much to it apart from flashing it with some hacked firmware but the real power of the device is in its update-ability. Check it out on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Office-High-Definition-Player-PCMPBO25/dp/B002Q4U9PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309804089&sr=8-1

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:32 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
firefly wrote:

I hope you managed to return it without too many difficulties.

Thankfully yes. I bought a Sharp blu ray player that unfortunately requires a separate wi fi adapter, but actually works.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 pm
Vexer wrote:

Bull. Shit.

I bought a $74 blu-ray player which works on all discs (and I've watched at least 2-300 films on it so far), and is an absolutely model DVD player in each way imaginable. And its never skipped or had problems loading, once. Nada. Better luck next thread.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 am
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Bull. Shit.

I bought a $74 blu-ray player which works on all discs (and I've watched at least 2-300 films on it so far), and is an absolutely model DVD player in each way imaginable. And its never skipped or had problems loading, once. Nada. Better luck next thread.

Which brand?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:07 pm
firefly wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Bull. Shit.

Which brand?

Sony, good sir. It's basically the best thing I've bought, excepting the new guitar and the iPod touch, over the past few months. I also bought it after my PS3 crashed and, both unwilling to pay $200 for a repair (fuck you, SCEA) and realizing that 3/4 of my time and money were spent on Blu-rays and NOT PS3 games, was looking for a cheap alternative. Most Blu-ray players have drastic price cuts on certain days of the year (there was a Philips player in WalMart that dipped to about $69 on Black Friday last year). I got my current player at Walgreens for the aforementioned $74 price tag.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:45 pm