Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Poor Performaces in Otherwise Good Films 
Post Re: Poor Performaces in Otherwise Good Films
Juliette Lewis in Strange Days. As many of you know, I love this film; I find it to be an excellent precursor to films like The Matrix and Minority Report in terms of the whole sci-fi/noir sub-genre but Lewis' typically one-note acting was a sore point for me.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:33 pm
Director

Katie Holmes in Thank You For Smoking. I love that movie as I've made clear elsewhere on this board. But her performance is easily the film's weakest link.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:44 pm
Director

oafolay wrote:
Juliette Lewis in Strange Days. As many of you know, I love this film; I find it to be an excellent precursor to films like The Matrix and Minority Report in terms of the whole sci-fi/noir sub-genre but Lewis' typically one-note acting was a sore point for me.

Same for me. I was trying to figure out what our hero saw in her, especially since he had Angela Bassett right beside him. Sometimes people need a conk on the head.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:29 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
oafolay wrote:

Same for me. I was trying to figure out what our hero saw in her, especially since he had Angela Bassett right beside him. Sometimes people need a conk on the head.

Neither of them were my type.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:32 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
oafolay wrote:

Neither of them were my type.

Am I the only one who thinks Angela Bassett has a very limited range? When she's low-key, she's great, but when she gets too emotional she gets hammy. JMO

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Director

One that sticks out like a sore thumb is Capt. Jack Young as President Roosevelt in Yankee Doodle Dandy. He announces every line like he's doing an elocution lesson or a radio address, not like someone who's speaking to a man on the other side of a desk.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:31 pm
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Katie Holmes in Thank You For Smoking. I love that movie as I've made clear elsewhere on this board. But her performance is easily the film's weakest link.

I could make a similar argument for her performance in Batman Begins. I was so happy when the producers shit-canned her for Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:41 pm
Director

oafolay wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I could make a similar argument for her performance in Batman Begins. I was so happy when the producers shit-canned her for Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight.

Agreed... though even Maggie showed that perhaps the main problem was in the writing of that character. :?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:23 pm
Ken wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
Sue me, kill me, torture me, send me to hell:
Keir Dullea in 2001: A Space Oddyssey

What bothers you about it?

Sorry for replying so late. Haven't checked the thread in quite some time.

Well I know this is to a large part intended by Kubrick: The Duella character seems always totally emotionless and without any motivation. He is basically blank for the entire screen time. For me it definitely looks like the guy just can't act. It takes acting chops even to maintain a blank face convincingly. I have seen Duella later in a minor film, much older (can't remember which one it was), he had a pretty straighforward talking role - my feeling was right: the guy can't act. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:37 am
oafolay wrote:

Amen to this! Strange Days is one of my personal favorites, but I wanted to stick forks in my eyes (and chopsticks in my ears) whenever she came on screen.

The thing is, she can be good. Gilbert Grape and Kalifornia proved that.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:03 am
Cate Blanchett in Hanna, I didn't buy her as a C.I.A. agent for one millisecond and why oh why did she have to have a godawful southern accent? Couldn't the filmmakers have just let her use her more natural"sounding accent? Every single time she opened her mouth, it took me right out of the film.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:55 am
I thought Keir Dullea was an ideal choice for Dave in 2001. His relatively pedestrian appearance and demeanor were fitting for the film; a flashier actor may have disrupted the focus of the film. Dullea's unflagging (but entirely serviceable) performance served Kubrick's purposes to a 't', as 2001 was not a film about star power but rather directorial prowess and purpose.

I thought (as stated before) that Albert Finney was rank in Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, an otherwise good film that deftly mixes drama and thriller elements. His blank character was further muted by his very ineffective portrayal; playing him opposite Philip Seymour Hoffman's commanding lead only further exposed the chasm of quality between the two performances.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 am
Ricky Nelson in Rio Bravo.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 am
I just thought of one: Avery Brooks as the principal in American History X. I felt that his character was rather cliched to begin with but Brooks' rather flat, one-dimensional portrayal didn't really sell me on this guy. At times, I could've sworn that he had the script in front of him and was just reading the lines. He was just way to stiff and unyielding for me to believe in him. Quite frankly, I wasn't all that impressed with Elliot Gould either, who plays another cliched character in the film, the liberal and Jewish pushover of a teacher. Maybe it was the fact that Edward Norton did such an amazing job to the point where he pretty much rendered everyone else onscreen invisible but no one else came close to making nearly as strong of an impression, although most of the other cast members, in particular Edward Furlong and Beverly D'Angelo, at least seemed to be trying. On the other hand, Brooks and Gould just didn't cut it for me.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:37 pm
The trouble is that American History X isn't a good movie and Norton's performance is the only redeeming thing about it. Of course the Brooks and Gould characters are cliches. Every character in the movie is a cliche.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:01 pm
Ken wrote:
The trouble is that American History X isn't a good movie and Norton's performance is the only redeeming thing about it. Of course the Brooks and Gould characters are cliches. Every character in the movie is a cliche.

I thought it was good but not great. It could have been better had all the characters been as well-rounded and expertly acted as Norton's was but even if Norton is the best thing about the film, there are other things to appreciate. For example, I found several scenes to be powerful and disturbing (in particular, the infamous curb stomp) and the ending packed a punch even if it was pretty much foreshadowed.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:18 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:

I've come around to this movie being flawed but I think Stacy Keach actually does a heckuva job with a fairly underwritten role.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
Ricky Nelson in Rio Bravo.

You've misspelled "Dean Martin".

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:59 pm
Assistant Director

oafolay wrote:
I just thought of one: Avery Brooks as the principal in American History X. I felt that his character was rather cliched to begin with but Brooks' rather flat, one-dimensional portrayal didn't really sell me on this guy. At times, I could've sworn that he had the script in front of him and was just reading the lines. He was just way to stiff and unyielding for me to believe in him. Quite frankly, I wasn't all that impressed with Elliot Gould either, who plays another cliched character in the film, the liberal and Jewish pushover of a teacher. Maybe it was the fact that Edward Norton did such an amazing job to the point where he pretty much rendered everyone else onscreen invisible but no one else came close to making nearly as strong of an impression, although most of the other cast members, in particular Edward Furlong and Beverly D'Angelo, at least seemed to be trying. On the other hand, Brooks and Gould just didn't cut it for me.

Ironically, I thought he should have gotten an Oscar nomination.

Monica Bellucci in "Shoot Em Up." Bellucci is a good actress, but she was so miscast in this movie that every time she came onscreen, the movie grinded to a dead halt.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
oafolay wrote:

Ironically, I thought he should have gotten an Oscar nomination.

Monica Bellucci in "Shoot Em Up." Bellucci is a good actress, but she was so miscast in this movie that every time she came onscreen, the movie grinded to a dead halt.

Personally. I thought Bellucci was just fine. Now one piece of acting in that movie that shouldn't have worked but did against all odds was Paul Giamatti as the villain. He's the last guy on earth that anyone would expect to see in such a dark role but he managed to pull it off.

Speaking of another actor from Shoot Em Up, did anyone else find Clive Owen to be a little uneven in Inside Man? Maybe it was his rather forced American accent but I didn't really find him all that great in that movie - not horrible but nothing special.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:11 pm