Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:39 pm

A Horrifying Example of How Screwed Up Our Values Are 
Assistant Director

Post A Horrifying Example of How Screwed Up Our Values Are
Sorry, but I've got to rant about this...

I was just at Blockbuster when I saw this little kid with his dad, and they were debating about whether or not to rent Piranha. He was like, "if this is inappropriate, I'm going to turn it off..." and all that. I was shocked, so I told him that it's filled from top to bottom with violence and copious amounts of blood and gore. What he said next shocked me to the bone.

"Well, it's not so much the violence and gore that I'm worried about. I think he can handle that. It's the sex and nudity that's inappropriate."

WHAT?

This little kid couldn't have even been in the second grade! What is this guy smoking?

My knee-jerk reaction was to try and remember if there was any sex and nudity in the film, which I did. But I stressed the amount of violence and gore in the film. He later told me that they didn't rent it (thank God!). I volunteered to help them pick out a movie (in retrospect that was a good decision...better something I know is appropriate than his Parents Television Council loving dad). I picked out Tommy Boy, but it only later occurred to me that the moronic dad is probably going to turn it off during the peekaboo nudity scene at the pool 3/4 the way through the movie.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICANS?????????????????????

Any other horror stories are welcome!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: A Horrifying Example of How Screwed Up Our Values Are
If it were me, I wouldn't have even bothered to try and reason with him, it's not my job to parent other people's kids, if they want to let their kids watch Piranha, then so be it. A little perspective though, the main reason most parents are less concerned about violence then sex is because most kids aren't likely to get involved in violent situations because of what they see in a film, sexual stuff on the other hand will definitely make most kids curious, that's not a bad thing mind you, the kids are gonna learn eventually, so they might as well learn it from a film. But most parents don't want their kids to even think about naked women, let alone see them, so they have a stronger knee-jerk reaction to sex then violence, not saying I agree with that point of view, but that's just how their minds operate.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:12 pm
One of my fondest memories of working at a video store was this time a kid wanted to rent Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. His mom read the back with the rating info and said "no". The kid started to whine and the mom said he'd have to put his game back if he didn't stop. A few minutes later they check out and I see the game is GTA: Vice City. Have fun killing hookers, Junior but no dirty jokes.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:46 pm
He must want on the same Supreme Court that just ruled that it's okay to sell violent video games to kids, but the government has a right to restrict sex and nudity to underage kids.

As John Stewart pointed out on The Daily Show after showing a clip from a video game showing a woman being torn violently in half, "that it's okay to sell something like that to kids, but if her costume had slipped to reveal a nipple, then it's not okay." (and I'm paraphrasing from memory)
-Jeremy

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:08 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
If it were me, I wouldn't have even bothered to try and reason with him, it's not my job to parent other people's kids, if they want to let their kids watch Piranha, then so be it. A little perspective though, the main reason most parents are less concerned about violence then sex is because most kids aren't likely to get involved in violent situations because of what they see in a film, sexual stuff on the other hand will definitely make most kids curious, that's not a bad thing mind you, the kids are gonna learn eventually, so they might as well learn it from a film. But most parents don't want their kids to even think about naked women, let alone see them, so they have a stronger knee-jerk reaction to sex then violence, not saying I agree with that point of view, but that's just how their minds operate.

I thought the same thing, but still...

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Bondurant wrote:
One of my fondest memories of working at a video store was this time a kid wanted to rent Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. His mom read the back with the rating info and said "no". The kid started to whine and the mom said he'd have to put his game back if he didn't stop. A few minutes later they check out and I see the game is GTA: Vice City. Have fun killing hookers, Junior but no dirty jokes.
Games and cartoons are always for kids. Everybody knows that.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:14 pm
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Sorry, but I've got to rant about this...

I was just at Blockbuster when I saw this little kid with his dad, and they were debating about whether or not to rent Piranha. He was like, "if this is inappropriate, I'm going to turn it off..." and all that. I was shocked, so I told him that it's filled from top to bottom with violence and copious amounts of blood and gore. What he said next shocked me to the bone.

"Well, it's not so much the violence and gore that I'm worried about. I think he can handle that. It's the sex and nudity that's inappropriate."

WHAT?

This little kid couldn't have even been in the second grade! What is this guy smoking?

My knee-jerk reaction was to try and remember if there was any sex and nudity in the film, which I did. But I stressed the amount of violence and gore in the film. He later told me that they didn't rent it (thank God!). I volunteered to help them pick out a movie (in retrospect that was a good decision...better something I know is appropriate than his Parents Television Council loving dad). I picked out Tommy Boy, but it only later occurred to me that the moronic dad is probably going to turn it off during the peekaboo nudity scene at the pool 3/4 the way through the movie.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICANS?????????????????????

Any other horror stories are welcome!

Tommy Boy may just be as horrific and nightmarish as Piranah. You're not doing that kid any service. :lol:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:08 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Tommy Boy may just be as horrific and nightmarish as Piranah. You're not doing that kid any service. :lol:

x2. If I was the little kid I'd be pretty pissed that I had to sit through Tommy Boy instead of the glory that is the Piranha remake. My parents never worried about movie nudity or violence in our home and I haven't grown into a crazy murderer/rapist. Well, not yet, but I've never been seized with the inclination.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:37 pm