Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Worst Films of the Past 10 Years 
Author Message
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
I honestly felt bad for all the people involved.

Almost forgot to mention Max Payne, which is as one-dimensional and joyless as movies get. Truly an instance of something working well in its native medium, yet failing in the adaptation to another.


Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:03 am
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Ken is right. There are worse films than those I mentioned - but few worse when you take into account the weight of expectation.

The Matrix 3 for instance, as a stand alone, is just an uninspired mediocre filler of a film. But taking into account the whole legacy, it's awful.

Ditto Spiderman 3. However I do believe that Spiderman 3 is awful because it's unwatchable trash for the 3 second attention span, MTV generation. Which is a shame because 1 was very good, and 2 was okay.

Freddy Got Fingered - yep, utter garbage. But it's Tom Green, what else can we expect?

Alexander is the worst film of the last decade for me. Okay, there may be worser films literally speaking. But take into account the gravitas of the production, the money involved, the talent on show (Hopkins, Jolie, Stone), it's the worst failure of a film I've seen in 10 years.

Or at least the worst I can think of at the moment.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:38 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Ken wrote:
Twilight has moments of delirious unintentional comedy, which is a sure sign that a movie is sinking below mediocrity. (Mediocrity being a lack of the capacity to inspire feelings in general.) Saw is aggressively stupid, mean-spirited, puerile, and shabbily made. I went into it blind and came out stunned by what I had seen. And not in a good way.

I did not see any of the sequels because I am not deluded, nor a masochist.


Twighlight, with all it's faux deep thinking, staring into the distance blankly moments. Yep, undiluted ass-gravy at its most self-indulgent.

I watched Saw up to 3. I was disgusted at 3 because it really was torture porn. 2 was merely utterly rubbish from 1st minute to last.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:44 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2156
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Whipped
Three Strikes
Scary Movie
The Truth About Charlie
The 13th Child: The Legend of the Jersey Devil
Nacho Libre
The Libertine
The Marine
Ultraviolet
Catwoman
Feast
Inside
Meet the Spartans
Disaster Movie
Saw 3D

Probably forgetting some.


Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:45 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 270
Location: NJ
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
I am not an Adam Sandler hater, but I was seriously unprepared for how unbelievably awful Bedtime Stories was.

Watched it Friday night with my wife and son, and really thought I had maybe seen the worst movie I'd ever seen. No story, badly filmed, lots of good actors wasted, a COMPLETE waste of celluloid...

I really cannot believe James gave it 2 stars.
http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_tem ... ifier=1436

And then, to abuse me further, my wife made me watch Grown Ups 2 last night. It was a very close second, and I liked Grown Ups.


Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:27 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3476
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
mrguinness wrote:
I am not an Adam Sandler hater, but I was seriously unprepared for how unbelievably awful Bedtime Stories was.

Watched it Friday night with my wife and son, and really thought I had maybe seen the worst movie I'd ever seen. No story, badly filmed, lots of good actors wasted, a COMPLETE waste of celluloid...

I really cannot believe James gave it 2 stars.
http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_tem ... ifier=1436

And then, to abuse me further, my wife made me watch Grown Ups 2 last night. It was a very close second, and I liked Grown Ups.

I actually liked both of those films. Have you seen The Waterboy, Little Nicky, or Billy Madison? For me those films were considerably worse.


Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:02 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 270
Location: NJ
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Vexer wrote:
I actually liked both of those films. Have you seen The Waterboy, Little Nicky, or Billy Madison? For me those films were considerably worse.


Baiting me Vex?


Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:47 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Vexer is a master baiter.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:40 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 916
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Killer Elite
Judy Moody and the not So Bummer Summer
Moonrise Kingdom
Wanderlust
Far North
The Aristocrats (documentary about the aristocrats joke)

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3476
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
moviemkr7 wrote:
Killer Elite
Judy Moody and the not So Bummer Summer
Moonrise Kingdom
Wanderlust
Far North
The Aristocrats (documentary about the aristocrats joke)

Wanderlust? Seriously? What's so bad about a rather inoffensive comedy?


Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:19 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 270
Location: NJ
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Moonrise Kingdom? Really? Wes Anderson's most accessible movie to date?


Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:02 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1660
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
mrguinness wrote:
I am not an Adam Sandler hater, but I was seriously unprepared for how unbelievably awful Bedtime Stories was.

Watched it Friday night with my wife and son, and really thought I had maybe seen the worst movie I'd ever seen. No story, badly filmed, lots of good actors wasted, a COMPLETE waste of celluloid...

I really cannot believe James gave it 2 stars.
http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_tem ... ifier=1436

And then, to abuse me further, my wife made me watch Grown Ups 2 last night. It was a very close second, and I liked Grown Ups.


I liked Grown-Ups 2 better than the first one. But I think That's My Boy is one of the worst movies of the decade so far.


Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:02 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3476
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
MGamesCook wrote:
mrguinness wrote:
I am not an Adam Sandler hater, but I was seriously unprepared for how unbelievably awful Bedtime Stories was.

Watched it Friday night with my wife and son, and really thought I had maybe seen the worst movie I'd ever seen. No story, badly filmed, lots of good actors wasted, a COMPLETE waste of celluloid...

I really cannot believe James gave it 2 stars.
http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_tem ... ifier=1436

And then, to abuse me further, my wife made me watch Grown Ups 2 last night. It was a very close second, and I liked Grown Ups.


I liked Grown-Ups 2 better than the first one. But I think That's My Boy is one of the worst movies of the decade so far.
Definitely have to disagree on that, I really enjoyed that film and found it pretty damn hilarious.


Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:25 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1262
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
mrguinness wrote:
Moonrise Kingdom? Really? Wes Anderson's most accessible movie to date?

All films by 'acquired taste' directors are exempt from this list as far as I'm concerned. :P


Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:12 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2156
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
H.I. McDonough wrote:
mrguinness wrote:
Moonrise Kingdom? Really? Wes Anderson's most accessible movie to date?

All films by 'acquired taste' directors are exempt from this list as far as I'm concerned. :P


You could say that about almost any film if you wanted to.


Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:14 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1262
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
ilovemovies wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
mrguinness wrote:
Moonrise Kingdom? Really? Wes Anderson's most accessible movie to date?

All films by 'acquired taste' directors are exempt from this list as far as I'm concerned. :P


You could say that about almost any film if you wanted to.

No, most of those directors have certain sensibilities that most people are just naturally not going to 'get' because they were never designed for broad appeal. But there's nothing to NOT get about movies like, say, "The Waterboy" or "Catwoman."


Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:22 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 697
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Like some people have said here, I try to avoid as most crap as I can, which makes it though to come up with really "awful" candidates for these lists. But anyway, bad apples always slip in the basket.

Some of the worst I've seen from the last 10 years...

Insidious
Gridiron Gang
Balls of Fury
Drag Me to Hell
Day Watch
Shutter
The Forgotten
Snakes on a Plane
Ladder 49
When a Stranger Calls
Jeepers Creepers 2
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Transformers


To be fair, I don't think there's a true F on those films, but there are a couple of D- and D+, and some C-

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 270
Location: NJ
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Wasn't When a Stranger Calls like 30 years ago?


Thief12 wrote:
Like some people have said here, I try to avoid as most crap as I can, which makes it though to come up with really "awful" candidates for these lists. But anyway, bad apples always slip in the basket.

Some of the worst I've seen from the last 10 years...

Insidious
Gridiron Gang
Balls of Fury
Drag Me to Hell
Day Watch
Shutter
The Forgotten
Snakes on a Plane
Ladder 49
When a Stranger Calls
Jeepers Creepers 2
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Transformers


To be fair, I don't think there's a true F on those films, but there are a couple of D- and D+, and some C-


Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 364
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
It was re-done in 2006 starring Camilla Belle. It was really lame.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:39 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3476
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Gedmud wrote:
It was re-done in 2006 starring Camilla Belle. It was really lame.

Indeed it was, I liked some of the films on that list(Balls Of Fury, Gridiron Gang, Snakes On A Plane, Transformers and Jeepers Creepers 2) the rest range from mediocre to terrible.


Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:00 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr