Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Worst Films of the Past 10 Years 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Hi. First time poster, sometime reader.

Here goes -

Alexander - What the hell went wrong you ask. I'll tell you. Bad casting. Bad acting. Bad script. Bad wigs. Bad bad bad!

Year One - How can the industry make such a film? I really don't understand it.

Spiderman 3 - Not a film, but 140 one-minute films roped clumsily together. Awful.

Matrix 3 - For some of the same reasons as Spiderman 3. But just dull and tiring to watch.

The Bounty Hunter - Butler can't act. Neither can Aniston. They had no chemistry and the script was terrible.

More to follow...

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 am
Profile
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Agree on Alexander, never saw Year One, the rest I liked. One of the worst films of the past 10 years was I Heart Huckabees, why so many people loved that piece of shit is beyond me. And after hearing and seeing what an asshole David O Russell was behind the scenes of that film, well that just gives me more reason to never touch that film again.

This is a prime example of how NOT to direct a film


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Qls1rAfYs


Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1526
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Since 2001 eh? Okay, here are some of the ones I would condier to be worst. Omitting Pearl Harbor because I've whaled the shit out ot it already.

Hannibal Rising: Why? Why take one of cinema's greatest psychopaths and make a movie that tries to give a freudian pop pyschology excuse for why he was the way he was? What's next, a sequel to No Country For Old Men that shows that Anton Chigurh lost his virginity to his Aunt Lola Jane at 14 in the outhouse?

I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry/Soul Plane/Norbit: I'm not easily offended. And I might be more willing to forgive these pathetic attempts at comedy (can't call them comedies because that would imply that they are actually funny) for being offensive if they were actually funny. Dogma could be considered offensive and it was funny as hell. Borat was easily one of the most tasteless movies of the last 10 years yet it was also laugh out loud funny. These movies are not only offensive to gays/blacks/asians and pretty much any group out there, they also commit the cardinal sin of comedies: they are NOT funny!

American Dreamz: In theory this is supposed to be a satire. Unfortunately, it lends credence to the old expression that "satire is what closes on Saturday Night". It came out at the same time as the far superior Thank You For Smoking, which worked as a far better example of how to make a good satire. While Reitman's film wasn't quite as biting as it could have been, it was still more biting, took aim at better targets, had better developed characters, better dialogue and better acting than Paul Weitz's defanged SNL skit stretched to feature length status.

W: What is this supposed to be Oliver Stone? A look at the presidency of George W Bush as a Shakespearean tragedy? Or like the previosuly mentioned mvoie, a bad SNL sketch stretched to feature length running time? It can't decide. As someone who's long admired Stone for his talent and willigness to take risks (Platoon, JFK) even as his arrogance and tendencies to showboat (Any Given SUnday, Alexander) pop up more frequently, this film is a major disappointment.

RV: A movie with Robin Williams that resorts to way old slapstick gags and still can't muster a laugh.

King Arthur: A movie about King Arthur that removes all the magic and fun of the Arthurian legends and replaces them with a ho-hum barrage fo every ancient war movie plot cliche one can think of.

The Adventures Of Pluto Nash/I Spy/Daddy Day Care: How the mighty hath fallen. Where have you gone Eddie Murphy a comedy nation turns its lonely eyes to you? Eddie was in exactly three good roles in the past 10 years: Shrek, Shrek 2 and Dreamgirls. This unholy trinity comes with its own prepackaged thudding sound: the sound of Murphy's career hitting rock bottom.

Swept Away: Madonna vehicle. That oughta tell you right there.

Collateral Damage: Bad action movie. Bad Schwarzenneger vehicle. Tainted permanently by real world events. Should not have ever been made, real world events or no real world events.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1526
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Vexer wrote:
This is a prime example of how NOT to direct a film


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Qls1rAfYs


If I was Lily Tomlin I'd slap David O Russell over the head, inform him that he'd better find another actress and walk right off that set.

I like all 5 of Russell's films. But as a person he reminds me of the following line from one of the Three Investigators novels I used to read when I was a kid. It's from a novel that concerns a murder on a horror movie set:

Quote:
"All actors are children"

"And all directors are egomaniacs"

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm
Profile
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
This is a prime example of how NOT to direct a film


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Qls1rAfYs


If I was Lily Tomlin I'd slap David O Russell over the head, inform him that he'd better find another actress and walk right off that set.

I like all 5 of Russell's films. But as a person he reminds me of the following line from one of the Three Investigators novels I used to read when I was a kid. It's from a novel that concerns a murder on a horror movie set:

Quote:
"All actors are children"

"And all directors are egomaniacs"

That's not the worst thing he did, Russell also physically beat extras on the set of Three Kings, George Clooney didn't take too kindly to that, so he confronted Russell and told him to stop, Russell then called him a pussy and Clooney thoroughly kicked his ass(too bad we couldn't see that on camera!) He seemed to calm down after that, i'd be perfectly happy if Russell never made another film for the rest of his life.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:11 am
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Since 2001 eh? Okay, here are some of the ones I would condier to be worst. Omitting Pearl Harbor because I've whaled the shit out ot it already.

Hannibal Rising: Why? Why take one of cinema's greatest psychopaths and make a movie that tries to give a freudian pop pyschology excuse for why he was the way he was? What's next, a sequel to No Country For Old Men that shows that Anton Chigurh lost his virginity to his Aunt Lola Jane at 14 in the outhouse?

I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry/Soul Plane/Norbit: I'm not easily offended. And I might be more willing to forgive these pathetic attempts at comedy (can't call them comedies because that would imply that they are actually funny) for being offensive if they were actually funny. Dogma could be considered offensive and it was funny as hell. Borat was easily one of the most tasteless movies of the last 10 years yet it was also laugh out loud funny. These movies are not only offensive to gays/blacks/asians and pretty much any group out there, they also commit the cardinal sin of comedies: they are NOT funny!

American Dreamz: In theory this is supposed to be a satire. Unfortunately, it lends credence to the old expression that "satire is what closes on Saturday Night". It came out at the same time as the far superior Thank You For Smoking, which worked as a far better example of how to make a good satire. While Reitman's film wasn't quite as biting as it could have been, it was still more biting, took aim at better targets, had better developed characters, better dialogue and better acting than Paul Weitz's defanged SNL skit stretched to feature length status.

W: What is this supposed to be Oliver Stone? A look at the presidency of George W Bush as a Shakespearean tragedy? Or like the previosuly mentioned mvoie, a bad SNL sketch stretched to feature length running time? It can't decide. As someone who's long admired Stone for his talent and willigness to take risks (Platoon, JFK) even as his arrogance and tendencies to showboat (Any Given SUnday, Alexander) pop up more frequently, this film is a major disappointment.

RV: A movie with Robin Williams that resorts to way old slapstick gags and still can't muster a laugh.

King Arthur: A movie about King Arthur that removes all the magic and fun of the Arthurian legends and replaces them with a ho-hum barrage fo every ancient war movie plot cliche one can think of.

The Adventures Of Pluto Nash/I Spy/Daddy Day Care: How the mighty hath fallen. Where have you gone Eddie Murphy a comedy nation turns its lonely eyes to you? Eddie was in exactly three good roles in the past 10 years: Shrek, Shrek 2 and Dreamgirls. This unholy trinity comes with its own prepackaged thudding sound: the sound of Murphy's career hitting rock bottom.

Swept Away: Madonna vehicle. That oughta tell you right there.

Collateral Damage: Bad action movie. Bad Schwarzenneger vehicle. Tainted permanently by real world events. Should not have ever been made, real world events or no real world events.


Never seen Chuck and Larry. I refuse to watch that kind of film these days. I only watched Year One by semi-accident. It was crass, unfunny, low-brow nonsense.

Swept Away, yeah I agree. Awful.

Collateral Damage - Hmmm, it's an Arnie film, but not too bad IMHO.

Borat was awful. Only the second time I walked from a cinema mid-show. First was Jerry Maguire.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:29 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Vexer wrote:
Agree on Alexander, never saw Year One, the rest I liked. One of the worst films of the past 10 years was I Heart Huckabees, why so many people loved that piece of shit is beyond me. And after hearing and seeing what an asshole David O Russell was behind the scenes of that film, well that just gives me more reason to never touch that film again.

This is a prime example of how NOT to direct a film


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Qls1rAfYs


You liked the Matrix 3?

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:30 am
Profile
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
NotHughGrant wrote:
Borat was awful. Only the second time I walked from a cinema mid-show.


Borat seems to divide a lot of people, I for one don't think I've laughed so hard so consistently during one movie (Bruno, unfortunately, was another matter).

No list of the worst films from 2001 through 2011 would be complete without...

10,000 B.C., a film so bad that once everyone got over how bad it was everyone forgot about it. Zero stars out of ****
House of 1000 Corpses, because we actually needed proof that Michael Bay does put visuals together coherently. Zero stars out of ****
Resident Evil: Apocalypse, you know its bad when this makes Extinction and Afterlife look decent. Zero stars out of ****
The Final Destination, because all the balls in the series were used up on seeing through with the ending on number three. ½ out of ****
Ghost Rider, ew. ½ out of ****
Spy Kids, any of them. Self aware doesn't mean bearable. ½ out of ****
Exam, traveled the festival circuit with an interesting premise. Should have stayed there. * out of ****
National Treasure 2, but... but the first one was actually fun? * out of ****
The Condemned, hypocritical/tasteless Battle Royale rip-off. * out of ****
Hannibal Rising, unbearably dull. * out of ****
Fantastic Four 2, they could have at least tried. * out of ****
Saw's 3/4/5 & 7, the most hypocritical trash pandered this last decade. *, *, * and zero stars out of ****
Ultraviolet, ugly and incoherent drivel. ½ out of ****
Chicken Little, unbearably stupid and lazy. The one positive was the fish. * out of ****
The Ugly Truth, misogynistic and just plain not funny... at all... like seriously Carrot Top gets more laughs. ½ out of ****
Lion, Witch & Wardrobe, COULD IT BE ANYMORE OBVIOUS AND PISS POOR LAZY AWFUL?! GAH!! * out of ****
Oldboy, distasteful/utterly stupid ending ruins otherwise simply dull and empty revenge thriller. * ½ out of ****

There are plenty of movies with ratings the same or lower then those on this list, but if I was making an actual list these are films I'd consider put on it. I generally try and do a fairly good job of avoiding truly awful movies, but crap gets through.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:38 am
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Agree on Alexander, never saw Year One, the rest I liked. One of the worst films of the past 10 years was I Heart Huckabees, why so many people loved that piece of shit is beyond me. And after hearing and seeing what an asshole David O Russell was behind the scenes of that film, well that just gives me more reason to never touch that film again.

This is a prime example of how NOT to direct a film


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Qls1rAfYs


You liked the Matrix 3?

Yes I liked it, I think wre dissapointed with it because of sky-high expectations that the film couldn't possibly live up to, I saw it with neutral expecations and it turned out to be pretty enjoyable.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:04 pm
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
It is interesting that none of the movies listed so far are bad, as in really, really bad--so bad that they could conceivably hang with the worst movies of all time.

If the last 10 years hasn't given us many examples of the truly, sublimely good or the truly, sublimely awful, perhaps this current era is defined by aggressive mediocrity.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:35 pm
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
No mention of Freddy Got Fingered yet? It was so awful I stopped watching it half an hour into the movie, and I almost never leave movies unfinished. I'd much rather watch any other film mentioned in this thread rather than endure it again.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:51 pm
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
domani wrote:
No mention of Freddy Got Fingered yet? It was so awful I stopped watching it half an hour into the movie, and I almost never leave movies unfinished. I'd much rather watch any other film mentioned in this thread rather than endure it again.

I stand corrected. This movie is sublimely awful.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:07 pm
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Ken wrote:
domani wrote:
No mention of Freddy Got Fingered yet? It was so awful I stopped watching it half an hour into the movie, and I almost never leave movies unfinished. I'd much rather watch any other film mentioned in this thread rather than endure it again.

I stand corrected. This movie is sublimely awful.

I didn't think it was that bad, sure it wasn't very funny, but i'd gladly watch it over those damn Twilight films or Saw sequels ANY day.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1526
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Ken wrote:
It is interesting that none of the movies listed so far are bad, as in really, really bad--so bad that they could conceivably hang with the worst movies of all time.

If the last 10 years hasn't given us many examples of the truly, sublimely good or the truly, sublimely awful, perhaps this current era is defined by aggressive mediocrity.


Possibly. But I only included movies I actually saw. This the absence from my list of ones that I could tell were shit such as:

Freddy Got Fingered
Kangaroo Jack
Ballistic Ecks Vs Sever
Crossroads
And so on

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:27 pm
Profile
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:
domani wrote:
No mention of Freddy Got Fingered yet? It was so awful I stopped watching it half an hour into the movie, and I almost never leave movies unfinished. I'd much rather watch any other film mentioned in this thread rather than endure it again.

I stand corrected. This movie is sublimely awful.

I didn't think it was that bad, sure it wasn't very funny, but i'd gladly watch it over those damn Twilight films or Saw sequels ANY day.

I have only seen the first entries of those two series, but I'd say they're comparable to Tom Green's opus.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:36 pm
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
My Boss's Daughter deserves mention somewhere on this list - rarely have I endured anything so abysmally unfunny this side of Pauly Shore, but I've been fortunate enough not to have seen Freddy Got Fingered still so that could outdo this one! Oh yeah, and King's Ransom was also a piece of shit!


Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:46 pm
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:
I didn't think it was that bad, sure it wasn't very funny, but i'd gladly watch it over those damn Twilight films or Saw sequels ANY day.

I have only seen the first entries of those two series, but I'd say they're comparable to Tom Green's opus.


Twilight was merely lazy and mediocre and the first Saw was the only truly decent one. If you think either of those are comparable in quality to Freddy Got Fingered you're both daft and fortunate enough to have missed out on Saw 7.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:53 pm
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Twilight has moments of delirious unintentional comedy, which is a sure sign that a movie is sinking below mediocrity. (Mediocrity being a lack of the capacity to inspire feelings in general.) Saw is aggressively stupid, mean-spirited, puerile, and shabbily made. I went into it blind and came out stunned by what I had seen. And not in a good way.

I did not see any of the sequels because I am not deluded, nor a masochist.


Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 am
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Ken wrote:
Twilight has moments of delirious unintentional comedy, which is a sure sign that a movie is sinking below mediocrity. (Mediocrity being a lack of the capacity to inspire feelings in general.) Saw is aggressively stupid, mean-spirited, puerile, and shabbily made. I went into it blind and came out stunned by what I had seen. And not in a good way.

I did not see any of the sequels because I am not deluded, nor a masochist.


You were smart to ignore the sequels, if that was your reaction to the first then the seventh would have made you give up film.


Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:16 am
Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Ken wrote:
Twilight has moments of delirious unintentional comedy, which is a sure sign that a movie is sinking below mediocrity. (Mediocrity being a lack of the capacity to inspire feelings in general.) Saw is aggressively stupid, mean-spirited, puerile, and shabbily made. I went into it blind and came out stunned by what I had seen. And not in a good way.

I did not see any of the sequels because I am not deluded, nor a masochist.

Finally! Someone else who hates Saw! I didn't care one bit about any of the characters and I saw that so-called "twist" coming from a million miles away.


Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr