Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:13 am

forced advert/trailer viewing on dvds 
Post forced advert/trailer viewing on dvds
I'm watching Toy Story 3 and was unable to bypass the adverts and trailers. When I skipped forward I was taken right back to the beginning. I've noticed this on other dvds as well. I find this very irritating. I should be able to skip right to the menu. I've paid my hard earned money to watch a film at my leisure yet they treat me like I'm sitting in a theater.

Very frustrating.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:59 am
Post Re: forced advert/trailer viewing on dvds
Bondurant wrote:
I'm watching Toy Story 3 and was unable to bypass the adverts and trailers. When I skipped forward I was taken right back to the beginning. I've noticed this on other dvds as well. I find this very irritating. I should be able to skip right to the menu. I've paid my hard earned money to watch a film at my leisure yet they treat me like I'm sitting in a theater.

Very frustrating.

I totally agree that it is pure horseshit that one is forced to watch advertising of any kind on a DVD prior to getting the menu. Thankfully, most DVD's still allow the user to skip to the menu immediately, at least for now.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm
All this leads me to do is not pay attention to the ad and try damn near every button on the remote to get out of it. Which usually occupies my attention long enough to get through the ad.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 pm
Yeah, I hate it when that happens. Sometimes you can't skip the FBI piracy warning either. Funny thing is, consumers of the pirated version don't see the FBI warning or the trailers. Studios should be providing a superior viewing experience to their paying customers, not an inferior one.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:24 pm
This isn't a recent phenomenon, i've encountered DVDs made almost 10 years ago that had unskippable ads.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:28 pm
Disney has had a pretty bad track record in this regard. Sometimes hitting "Next Chapter" instead of "Menu" works...sometimes nothing works except leaving the room to pop corn or take a last minute bathroom break.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:47 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
This isn't a recent phenomenon, i've encountered DVDs made almost 10 years ago that had unskippable ads.

That part is true. My DVD of Inside Man for instance won't let me bypass the adverts. The one of The Departed thankfully does because there's almost 20 minutes of them. And The Departed is a movie I saw multiple times in the theater. Hence Scorsese and the studio got revenue from me on that more than once.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:14 pm
Gaffer

Yep ...

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm
Guapo wrote:
Yep ...

Nice pic outlining how paying customers get #%#%ed up the ass by the studios and their commercial whoring.

On a related note: the number of commercials appearing in theaters prior to the trailers is starting to become ridiculous. I have to sit through fucking commercials when I watch TV, and I intensely dislike the idea of paying to watch those same commercials in a cinema. My friends and I play the trailer game, where we try to predict the exact number of trailers that will proceed a film, and now we've add the commercial game to it, where we try to predict the exact number of commercials. It's the only way we can retain our sanity when going to see a film in the theater nowadays.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:14 pm
The number of trailers in my theaters is usally 4-6, the commercials come before the scheduled time, so I don't see all of them usually, I think 8 was the most.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:25 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Guapo wrote:
Yep ...

Nice pic outlining how paying customers get #%#%ed up the ass by the studios and their commercial whoring.

On a related note: the number of commercials appearing in theaters prior to the trailers is starting to become ridiculous. I have to sit through fucking commercials when I watch TV, and I intensely dislike the idea of paying to watch those same commercials in a cinema. My friends and I play the trailer game, where we try to predict the exact number of trailers that will proceed a film, and now we've add the commercial game to it, where we try to predict the exact number of commercials. It's the only way we can retain our sanity when going to see a film in the theater nowadays.

I sually try to time it when I go into a theater that I miss at least a couple of the trailers. There's usually about 15-20 minutes of them plus other commercials. I do admit to enjoying a couple of the no-texting/talking ones with Sydney Pollack and Martin Scorsese in them.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 pm
The Marcus chain in the Midwest started running the commercials way prior to scheduled movie start time (like 10 minutes before) about a year or so ago. So if the movie is a 7:30 show, the commercials start at 7:20 (with house lights up) and the previews (and "Welcome to Marcus" blurb) start at 7:30. I find this to be an acceptable compromise.

(Vex...being in IL I think you sometimes go to a Marcus screen, yes?)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 pm
johnny larue wrote:
The Marcus chain in the Midwest started running the commercials way prior to scheduled movie start time (like 10 minutes before) about a year or so ago. So if the movie is a 7:30 show, the commercials start at 7:20 (with house lights up) and the previews (and "Welcome to Marcus" blurb) start at 7:30. I find this to be an acceptable compromise.

(Vex...being in IL I think you sometimes go to a Marcus screen, yes?)

Yeah, I go to Marcus all the time, and yes I think it's a great compromise, if you arrive right on time, you don't have to sit through a single commercial, and actually, I think Marcus has been doing that practice for longer then a year, i've been going there for 5 years and I can't recall my theater ever showing commercials past the scheduled start time. Cinemark Theaters is also pretty good about doing this(I go to the Tinseltown Theater in Kenosha, WI on occasion)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm
Have you had the joy of watching an unskipable trailer for the very movie you are watching?

or the fun of seeing the same trailer twice on one dvd?

or the awesome excitment of completely unsuitable previews (Dawn of the dead during shrek for example!)

DVD IS AWESOME

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:39 am
Does anybody even know why they even bother including a screen with "The views expressed in the commentaries are solely those of the individuals providing them and do not represent the [insert studio name here] corporation or any associated affiliates"?

If it's a legal thing, why include a forced viewing? The only possible thing you can get in trouble with is libel. Are they afraid somebody might say something that could ruin a company's reputation?

Just include some option on the dvd menu of "legal stuff" or put it in on the end of the credits. Why force viewers to watch that? Bugs me more than anything else as I've always been able to skip ads and what not but am almost never able to fast forward through one of those screens.

-Jeremy

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:01 pm