Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:11 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Author Message
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Well...Season 1 is done. Final episode last night was pretty good....I'd give the entire series an A-. I am having a tough time trying to gauge my overall enjoyment of the series becuase, having read the books, I found myself to be kind of a lazy viewer to the TV series; none of the major twists were altogether that shocking and the show did a pretty good job of hitting all of the main pieces of the novel.

I suppose that if I were a new fan starting with the show and went and read the book, I'd be a lazy reader since all of the twists and cliffhangers in the book would've been blown by the show.

If you watched the first series and liked being surprised, then I'd wait for series 2 next spring and resist reading the novels. Part of me is happy to have read the books first as I am familiar with the characters and where they are going, by I think I would have gotten more enjoyment out of the series overall if I had NOT read the books first.


Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:03 am
Post Re: Game of Thrones
johnny larue wrote:
Well...Season 1 is done. Final episode last night was pretty good....I'd give the entire series an A-. I am having a tough time trying to gauge my overall enjoyment of the series becuase, having read the books, I found myself to be kind of a lazy viewer to the TV series; none of the major twists were altogether that shocking and the show did a pretty good job of hitting all of the main pieces of the novel.

I suppose that if I were a new fan starting with the show and went and read the book, I'd be a lazy reader since all of the twists and cliffhangers in the book would've been blown by the show.

If you watched the first series and liked being surprised, then I'd wait for series 2 next spring and resist reading the novels. Part of me is happy to have read the books first as I am familiar with the characters and where they are going, by I think I would have gotten more enjoyment out of the series overall if I had NOT read the books first.

I agree with the sentiment that it may be better to watch this series *before* reading the books. For me, it was hard at times to watch this series, as well as it was done, simply because it was impossible for the series to put all the details in. A good example of this is the possibly complete exclusion of the character of Ser Brynden Tully (the Blackfish), who I liked from the book series. I realize that Ser Brynden wasn't entirely necessary for the scenes at the Eyrie involving Tyrion's imprisonment and trial, but there is the possibility that he may never show up in the series at all. I also would have found it nice if Lord Roose Bolton would have been introduced in the last 2 episodes, especially given the role that he's going to be playing later if the series continues beyond 2 seasons.


Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
I know I said a few days ago I wasn't going to read it but after watching the finale yesterday there is no way i'm waiting 10months for Season 2.

I just love this show to bits so much that i'm starting to go through it again now that I know all the characters etc. That final scene "Blood of my Blood" was fantastic and when the credits rolled I couldn't believe the hour had past so quickly. Welcome back HBO, i've missed the brilliance you are capable of despite being guilty of enjoying your trashy shows (True Blood).

And btw I finally understand where your avatar comes from Ragnarok. :)


Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:03 am
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Nick wrote:
I know I said a few days ago I wasn't going to read it but after watching the finale yesterday there is no way i'm waiting 10months for Season 2.

I just love this show to bits so much that i'm starting to go through it again now that I know all the characters etc. That final scene "Blood of my Blood" was fantastic and when the credits rolled I couldn't believe the hour had past so quickly. Welcome back HBO, i've missed the brilliance you are capable of despite being guilty of enjoying your trashy shows (True Blood).

And btw I finally understand where your avatar comes from Ragnarok. :)

Good thing you got it, since I have just changed it again. :)

I think that you will love the books if you liked the series. Arya and Tyrion in particular are greatly fleshed out as characters in the books.


Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Nick wrote:
I know I said a few days ago I wasn't going to read it but after watching the finale yesterday there is no way i'm waiting 10months for Season 2.

I just love this show to bits so much that i'm starting to go through it again now that I know all the characters etc. That final scene "Blood of my Blood" was fantastic and when the credits rolled I couldn't believe the hour had past so quickly. Welcome back HBO, i've missed the brilliance you are capable of despite being guilty of enjoying your trashy shows (True Blood).

And btw I finally understand where your avatar comes from Ragnarok. :)

Good thing you got it, since I have just changed it again. :)

I think that you will love the books if you liked the series. Arya and Tyrion in particular are greatly fleshed out as characters in the books.


As good as Tyrion is in the show (thanks to a wonderful Peter Dinklage), he absolutely rocks in the books. My favorite character. Arya as well.

Is my judgement clouded by my love for the book characters, or am I right in saying that Dinklage and Maisie Williams stood out among a slew of wonderful performances?


Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 am
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Dinklage stood out most for me, but I like him in pretty much everything. His character is easily one of the most sympathetic and he got so many great lines. The Arya character stood out instantly as well but she hasn't really had all that much to do.

The other character/actor that stood out for me was Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger thoroughly enjoyed him in The Wire and he is just as good here. One negative I can give is the seemingly gratuitous nature of the scene with the 2 hookers playing with each other during exposition - just really distracting in a bad way and I hope the series moves away from it, we get it the show isn't for kids.


Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:24 am
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Nick wrote:
One negative I can give is the seemingly gratuitous nature of the scene with the 2 hookers playing with each other during exposition - just really distracting in a bad way and I hope the series moves away from it, we get it the show isn't for kids.

Agreed- after all, there is plenty of nudity in the series without the need to put scenes in for sheer gratuity. For example, Shae spends most of her scenes in the books in the buff, right up to and including her end. Dany will end up being in the buff a few more times before the end of the next season as well, I'm sure.


Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Does anyone know the final ratings? Is this enough for HBO to classify Game of Thrones to be a smashing success? It's clear that it must cost a fortune to produce this series and I hope its ultimate end is better than Rome.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:09 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
I think the final episode was around 3million (not counting DVR/Demand etc). It steadily increased through the whole season, in comparison it rated better than True Blood in its first season which is easily HBO's most rated show right now.

My gut feeling is the show will be around for a while provided the quality stays like season 1 or greater - i've already got 4 people I know to watch it and they all really like it. Word from around the net is pretty much the same as well and the DVD/Blu Ray should sell very well, I don't fear another Rome/Carnivale/Deadwood on this series at all.


Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Nick wrote:
My gut feeling is the show will be around for a while provided the quality stays like season 1 or greater - i've already got 4 people I know to watch it and they all really like it. Word from around the net is pretty much the same as well and the DVD/Blu Ray should sell very well, I don't fear another Rome/Carnivale/Deadwood on this series at all.

One thing that helps is the fact that the series is necessarily finite, as the book series is (at least for now) slated to run only to 8 books at most. This means that there is a definite end that the writers can aim at when scripting the episodes. Of course, it remains to be seen if the series will remain popular enough to run through all of the books as planned. There's also the small detail of Martin actually finishing the damn book series before the TV series catches up.


Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:19 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Ragnarok73 wrote:
One thing that helps is the fact that the series is necessarily finite, as the book series is (at least for now) slated to run only to 8 books at most. This means that there is a definite end that the writers can aim at when scripting the episodes. Of course, it remains to be seen if the series will remain popular enough to run through all of the books as planned. There's also the small detail of Martin actually finishing the damn book series before the TV series catches up.


If it goes that far, they would almost have to source TV season 4 from the first half of book 4 and from the first half of book 5 and then do the latter halves of books 4 & 5 for season 5 since a large chunk of characters were ignored in book 4, only to have their stories (assumedly) told in the forthcoming book 5. I don't know if the TV audience would stand for sidelined characters and plot points for a whole year and actors' contracts may not allow for it either. Although from a production standpoint, it would probably be easier to manage 3 major plotlines (just doing all of book 4) over a season rather than a half dozen by trying to blend the books.


Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:40 am
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Just pre-ordered "A Dance With Dragons"...got it for about $12 on hard cover. Should be coming this week.


Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:00 am
Post Re: Game of Thrones
johnny larue wrote:
Just pre-ordered "A Dance With Dragons"...got it for about $12 on hard cover. Should be coming this week.

Where did you get it for $12 for the *hardcover* version? I got my copy for $9.99, but only because I pre-ordered it for my iPhone Kindle as an e-book.


Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Ragnarok73 wrote:
johnny larue wrote:
Just pre-ordered "A Dance With Dragons"...got it for about $12 on hard cover. Should be coming this week.

Where did you get it for $12 for the *hardcover* version? I got my copy for $9.99, but only because I pre-ordered it for my iPhone Kindle as an e-book.

Science Fiction Book Club (sfbc.com) had a buy 1 get 1 offer so I order that one and the latest Donaldson "Thomas Covenant" novel.


Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:47 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
johnny larue wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
johnny larue wrote:
Just pre-ordered "A Dance With Dragons"...got it for about $12 on hard cover. Should be coming this week.

Where did you get it for $12 for the *hardcover* version? I got my copy for $9.99, but only because I pre-ordered it for my iPhone Kindle as an e-book.

Science Fiction Book Club (sfbc.com) had a buy 1 get 1 offer so I order that one and the latest Donaldson "Thomas Covenant" novel.

I just finished reading my copy of Dance With Dragons and I gotta say....WHOA. Some spoiler-laden thoughts of mine upon the first reading:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1) I knew Cersei would survive because of the prophesy of Maggy the Frog (meaning that Daenerys is the one who will be throwing her down for good), but she certainly got a good hard taste of humility. Of course, we know that inside she hasn't changed one damn bit except perhaps to become a bit angrier, and Kevan's murder at the end of the book is certainly going to throw a big torch on that fury in the next book.

2) Speaking of Kevan's murder- DAMN. I mean, having Varys come back in that fashion was a huge "WHAT THE FUCK." statement by the author, and I loved it! What a way to make a comeback, especially with the events established earlier in the book.

3) On the note of "WHAT THE FUCK." moments, how about the revelation that Rhaegar's son lives and was being trained to reign as king of a new Targaryen dynasty? Having Tyrion puzzle it out while traveling with "Young Griff" was a nice touch. However, I have a feeling that Aegon is not going to be surviving for long, simply because 2 Targaryens trying to contest for the Iron Throne is likely 1 too many. Then again, why was he even introduced into the series if not to provide a major plot point to explain how Dany could get a foothold in Westeros once she finally sorts out her own issues? Martin has shown himself to be unpredictable where it's come to the movement of the plot of the series, so while I still have misgivings about Aegon's chances for survival, I'm not going to count him out just yet.

4) Anyone who thinks that Jon is really going to die can raise your hands now. Yeah, I didn't think so. However, I do think that the letter was a ploy by the traitors in the NW to expose Jon as a "deserter" to give the excuse for the attack, possibly in league with Lord Bolton and Co. Melisandre will play a part in Jon's survival (remember the powers of the Lord of Light, as shown by Thoros and that other red priest who's hanging around with Victarion), and he will learn to accept if not fully trust her.

5) Wow, Daenerys has a big fucking mess to deal with in Meereen and Slaver's Bay. However, Tyrion will help her along with Ser Barristan. I also suspect that having Drogon with her will help her to persuade the Khal she stumbled into to help her as well. The thing that remains to be seen is how Tyrion is going to get the Second Sons to change their colors again while Dany gets the new khalesar to help her out.

6) I theorized that Victarion was going to provide Dany with the ships to take her and her army to Westeros, and so far, everything he's done has reinforced my belief in this theory. Having the red priest who originally accompanied Tyrion and Ser Jorah is going to aid this. I think that Tyrion is going help Dany enlist Victarion without her having to marry him, probably by offering him both the chance to kill Euron (one kinslayer helping to absolve another) and lordship over all of the Iron Islands though not as king of them.

7) I like the character of Penny, even if she's very unlikely to survive the next book.

8) Anyone who thinks that Lord Bolton really defeated King Stannis, raise your hands. Yeah, I didn't think so either, mainly because the Iron Bank rep and party were able to reach him before the Boltons did. This is also part of my belief that the letter to Jon was a ruse. Also, I think that Stannis is quite frankly a more astute battle commander than Lord Bolton, and he's got "Lady Arya" to prove that they were trying to trick the north into accepting themselves as the new Wardens.

9) While the strong suspicion is that "Ser Robert Stone" is Ser Gregor-turned-Frankenstein, I'd still like to see this fully explained in the next book, specifically in how Qyburn pulled it off. We all know that the dead can be risen, of course, as Lord Beric, Undead Cat, and the Others have shown, but how the hell did Qyburn learn as a maester of the Citadel? Of course, this could mean that there are more sinister bits of knowledge that the Citadel has not let the world know they possess.

10) I was sad to see Quentyn Martell bite it, probably because he inadvertently saved Dany's other dragons from slaughter at the hands of the Meereenese bitches. His character wasn't a big one, of course, but he was likable even if he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer (re: trying to subdue dragons because he's long descended from a Targaryen bride of one of his ancestors was quite the stupid notion).

11) Looks like Jaime isn't going to be surviving the next book unless he can somehow convince Undead Cat that he had nothing to do with the Red Wedding. Also, it's clear that the theory as to what Brienne said to save herself and her companions ("Sword!") are right.

12) As I figured, not as much time was spent with Arya, but it was good time, as her training as a Faceless Man (Girl) truly commences. The best part is that despite the depth of her training, Arya is retaining her original identity, so once she's ready, some people in Westeros are going to be very very sorry, if they're still alive by the time she returns.


More thoughts will come as I read through the book again. So far, I have to say that I'm liking it, though I still wish Martin had gotten the damn thing out sooner. Now I have to wait for the next damn book, and it's going to be hard! :evil:


Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:02 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Some more thoughts on Dance With Dragons upon re-reading of some chapters:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1) How the dragon-taming horn that Victarion brought with him could be used to put Dany's dragons firmly under her control seems to offer 2 options. The first is that Dany uses the horn herself and survives, thus cementing her status as Mother of Dragons to her people as well as to Victarion. Another option, and one I'd find more entertaining, is that an enemy of Dany's is manipulated into sounding the horn for her then dying horribly. There are a few candidates for this job, Dany's current husband and erstwhile king of Meereen being one of them. If the 2nd option is the one that Martin goes with, I'd bet a gold dragon that Tyrion is the one who does the manipulating, on Dany's behalf.

2) If Aegon does indeed die, my thought is that it will be when he leads the attack on Storm's End.

3) Assuming Jon survives the assassination attempt, and I do assume this, I wonder if it will free him from the Night's Watch? If so, then Jon could indeed be legitimized as Lord Stark by Stannis, thus becoming the new Warden of the North, as I'm sure that the remaining northern lords would support him once the Boltons are defeated. This would also open the door for him to learn the truth of his parentage (re: Rhaegar and Lyanna), once Howland Reed finally enters the stage.

4) On the note of Jon's parentage, another who could find out and reveal it to him is Bran, through his growing greenseer powers and his connection to the weirwoods. Bran is of course also still hanging around with Howland's children, and one or both of them could already know the truth of Jon's parentage.

5) Penny may survive and become another of Dany's servants. I hope this happens, because I do like her character. It does help that she's got Tyrion helping her too.

6) Ser Jorah will likely have to die to get back into Dany's good graces. If so, it will happen in Meereen before she sets off with her army to Westeros.

7) If Jaime manages to survive his encounter with Lady Stoneheart (Undead Cat), it may mean that he would have to do so by helping her to punish House Frey for the Red Wedding.

8) What a reunion it would be if somehow the remaining Starks were to get back together! The no-longer-naive Sansa, the badass-superkiller Arya, the half-wildling Rickon, the greenseer Bran, the potentially new Lord Stark Jon, and of course Undead Cat- what a group this would be!

Please, Martin, don't make us wait another 6 years for the next book! :|


Last edited by Ragnarok73 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:26 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
The black bars in the previous two posts are going to haunt me for the foreseeable future...

Ragnarok, you are EVIL!


Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:38 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
MunichMan wrote:
The black bars in the previous two posts are going to haunt me for the foreseeable future...

Ragnarok, you are EVIL!

So go get your copy of Dance With Dragons and read it! It's available online if you've got a Kindle or other similar device.


Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:42 pm
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Ahhh... but I am re-reading the previous books first. Can't just jump in without experiencing the lead-up! Halfway through GOT right now.


Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 am
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Best burn of the novel so far: "Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey."


Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:59 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr