Ants Marching by Dave Matthews Band
Young Americans by David Bowie
MoneyGrabber by Fitz and the Tantrums
The Distance by Cake

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:16 am
Post Re: Horny Songs
firefly wrote:
What are your favorite songs that feature horn instruments? So far I have:

What exactly do you mean by horn instruments? Is it a solo instrument like saxophone (in that case you can include about half of all 80s pop songs) or trumpet, is it the 'horn section' (consisting of trumpet(s), sax(es) and trombone(s) ) - in that case all songs of groups featuring a horn section would count - such as Earth Wind and Fire or Tower of Power. There is also the great sounding F-horn (commonly referred to as french horn), which unfortunately is very rarely featured in pop songs. I know there are some wacky bands out there using marching band instruments in a cacophonic way (I appeciate those bands, but I am not willing to listen to music, other than a quick sample, that is bad on purpous, just beause it's cool or trendy) - there you'll find all the "horny-ness" you'll ever need.

Yep, I also like 1-2-3-4 by Feist. The video clip is great. It features piano and trumpet in a 20s 30s jazzy way (played slightly amateurish to provide an "earthy" and "carefree" sound) - I guess that's the sound you're looking for (as opposed to the "glossy" and "pretty" stuff from the late 70s through early 90s)?

Anyway - love the pun in your Topic! 8-)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:44 am
Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
firefly wrote:
What are your favorite songs that feature horn instruments? So far I have:

What exactly do you mean by horn instruments? Is it a solo instrument like saxophone (in that case you can include about half of all 80s pop songs) or trumpet, is it the 'horn section' (consisting of trumpet(s), sax(es) and trombone(s) ) - in that case all songs of groups featuring a horn section would count - such as Earth Wind and Fire or Tower of Power. There is also the great sounding F-horn (commonly referred to as french horn), which unfortunately is very rarely featured in pop songs. I know there are some wacky bands out there using marching band instruments in a cacophonic way (I appeciate those bands, but I am not willing to listen to music, other than a quick sample, that is bad on purpous, just beause it's cool or trendy) - there you'll find all the "horny-ness" you'll ever need.

Yep, I also like 1-2-3-4 by Feist. The video clip is great. It features piano and trumpet in a 20s 30s jazzy way (played slightly amateurish to provide an "earthy" and "carefree" sound) - I guess that's the sound you're looking for (as opposed to the "glossy" and "pretty" stuff from the late 70s through early 90s)?

Anyway - love the pun in your Topic! 8-)

I wanted to leave it open for exactly that reason--there's a pretty wide range. Horns are heard in The Show but they're part of a broader orchestration; in Young Americans, conversely, there's a sax solo. So basically, favorite songs that in some way shape or form are 'horny'.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:05 pm
Frank Zappa's version of "Stairway to Heaven".

You're waiting to see what Frank busts out for the guitar solo, then... bam.

One of the most tightly rehearsed ensembles ever.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:06 pm
Lou Reed's 'Walk on the Wild Side'
Notorious BIG's 'Kick in the Door' using Screamin' Jay Hawkins's 'I Put a Spell on You.'

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:32 pm
The White Stripes' Conquest might fit the bill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyOAs8a-pGY

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:56 pm
While horns aren't exactly at the center of the song, Knights of Cydonia by Muse does have a trumpet line providing support to the guitars.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:04 pm
Ken wrote:
Frank Zappa's version of "Stairway to Heaven".

There! Zappa was the master of cacophony (for people who might not know: it's Old Greek for "bad sound" - meaning ill-fitting combination of instruments or lines which won't blend/go together well). Zappa always had virtuoso players and that's why his music was (is) so brilliant. He basically came up with the idea of punk music long before the kids in the suburbs around London invented the counter-movement to prog rock.
Zappa didn't limit himself to making bad music - he went the other way: super tight virtuoso music. He just wanted to provoke - and his music was always brilliant. He is one of my idols - and yep, you can hear some "brassy-horny" parts.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:30 pm
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (an album, but really one sprawling epic) by Charles Mingus comes to mind. If you want an eargasm of magical horns blowing a secret unknowable language, this is the album to download.

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane is another jazz album, your typical jazz sax epic.

Hawkwind, King Crimson, and the Mars Volta all make great use of horns in a more rock oriented sound. The album ...And the Battle Begun by the RX Bandits has a lot of great horn stuff, they're like a progressive ska band.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:36 am
Director

If we're talking albums I'd say Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 am
Director

Pretty much all kinds of 1960s/1970s funk and R&B. Add to that 1980s ska, reggae tunes, and so on... There's just way too many to list.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:16 pm
The complete works of Madness!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 pm
Cake's entire first album (Motorcade of Genorisity) with "Ain't No Good" being a standout.

"No Reply At All" by Genesis

I like the sax bits in "Your Latest Trick" by Dire Straits

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:28 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Pretty much all kinds of 1960s/1970s funk and R&B. Add to that 1980s ska, reggae tunes, and so on... There's just way too many to list.

I'm with you on the 60s/70s funk. James Brown came up with such killer grooves and riffs including the horn section. I Feel Good anyone? One of the great pioneers.
Stevie Wonder also came up with some killer horn riffs. Sir Duke, later into the song Superstition..... Lots of the early (before Gordy moved to L.A.) Motown music... really too many to mention.

I fully understand the appeal of reggae and ska, but personally I don't like it. It was huge in the very early 80s and I saw (and listened to) many live concerts aired directly on German tv at the time (together with FM Radio in sync to get the hi-fi stereo sound - those were true events back in the day). Sorry, but it always bored me to tears.

One last addition: I absolutely don't care about the music of Phil Collins' solo career. I don't think he is much of a composer. But he sure had one hell of a brilliant live horn section in his tours from 1990 on.

EDIT: I'm fully aware that some people might dismiss this as cheezy Eurotrash. But I think it's cool. The original is from the mid 70s from a Scottish band called "Average White Band" - check this live version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76kd984x5bU

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:17 pm
johnny larue wrote:
"No Reply At All" by Genesis

Excellent choice. Phil Collins used his ace brass section, the Earth, Wind & Fire horn section, from his first solo album (Vace Value) in the next Genesis album (ABACAB, 1981). It took him a while to convince the other band members. It worked. What you see in the official video is Genesis band members miming/pretending to play the horn section instruments.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:02 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Cab Calloway - Minnie The Moocher

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 am
Director

Since we're on the subject of great songs with brass in them, it should be noted that Clarence Clemons, one of the greatest saxophone players in rock history, died today. He was 69.

Some of his greatest work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTJHhUeAfc

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:37 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Since we're on the subject of great songs with brass in them, it should be noted that Clarence Clemons, one of the greatest saxophone players in rock history, died today. He was 69.

I was trying to figure out where to post that.

Incredibly sad news. I'm not sure I'll be able to get through one of his solos now without tearing up. R.I.P. Big Man.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I was trying to figure out where to post that.

Incredibly sad news. I'm not sure I'll be able to get through one of his solos now without tearing up. R.I.P. Big Man.

Agreed: what a wonderful sax player! There is a lot of classic rock music heavily featuring (quality) saxophone playing, so the bar is rather high. You could tell that Clarence Clemons was something special, and stood out, from the first note on. What a beautiful tone! In the YouTube link above, the Bob Seger-esque sounding song really kicks into a higher gear and starts "to fly" when the sax comes in. Magic! Awesome!

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:50 am