Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Things that drive you up the wall! NOT IN MOVIES! 
Assistant Director

Post Things that drive you up the wall! NOT IN MOVIES!
We all have things that other people do that just drive us nuts! Whether its someone who cracks their knuckles or spits everywhere, it makes you want to scream.

For me, it's:
People with constant allergies. I think this stemmed from taking tests in school. There was nothing more annoying than taking a difficult test when the person next to you is sniffling up mucus every ten seconds.
People who crack their gum/chew it loudly. Ditto.
People who are combatively different. You know who I mean...the people who won't do anything they consider mainstream, only shop at urban outfitters or hot topic, dress in the most random things they can find, and gleefully read you the fine print of everything that you enjoy doing.

Anyone else?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Things that drive you up the wall! NOT IN MOVIES!
Anyone who's racist and/or homophobic in any way.
Politicians who have no idea what the fuck they're talking about-Glenn Beck, Bill O Reily, Nancy Grace, etc
People who give others crap just for having different tastes.
People who talk down to you like you're mentally retarded(not trying to offend anyone who actually does have a mental condition, just so you know)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:00 am
Vexer wrote:
Politicians who have no idea what the fuck they're talking about-Glenn Beck, Bill O Reily, Nancy Grace, etc

None of the above is a politician. They are all social commentators.

Some things that annoy my include (but not limited to):

- People that bring babies to movies and won't leave when they start to cry
- People that cut you off to enter the freeway and then drive slower than the speed limit
- noisy eaters
- NASCAR

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 am
Assistant Director

Bondurant wrote:
Vexer wrote:

None of the above is a politician. They are all social commentators.

Some things that annoy my include (but not limited to):

- People that cut you off to enter the freeway and then drive slower than the speed limit

Good one. Where I live, they do something even worse. When you put your turn signal on, they move up to your front door, then stay there. They don't speed up or slow down, they just sit there and won't let you change lanes!

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:19 am
Profile WWW
Muslims

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 am
Cinematographer

I absolutely go nuts when I am asked to answer the same basic question twice in a row. Question. Answer.

.... "Are you sure?" ....:evil:

Don't mind defending my answers or opinions in a debate conversation, but when someone asks me a straightforward question and it then becomes clear that they wanted a different answer than what I gave them it drives me bonkers. Why ask if you already know what you want? :evil:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:23 pm
Director

Whenever someone tells me or a group of people something that's glaringly obvious.

A person speaking about something that I don't care about, but continues to.

ESPN.

TMZ/ Showbiz Tonight.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 pm
Profile YIM
Commercials being shown with audio at a higher level than the TV show itself- seriously, anyone who doubts this can check it for themselves on a major network. It's a deliberate advertising tactic, and it's fucking annoying as hell.

People who whine too much, about anything.

People who are self-important to the point where they look down their nose at just about everyone else.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 pm
Director

People on either side of the political extreme who see the other side as not simply wrong or misguided. But evil.

Teachers in schools and supervisors in offices who yell at everyone when certain people screw up.

People who say "Come on! Put some pep in your step!"

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:21 pm
1) Hipocrisy and aggressively going with the flow.

What does that mean? There are a LOT of people I know who apparently agree with the latest trends, defend everything which is hyped and (said to be) successful - without ever questioning anything. If you point out stuff like "Britney Spears wouldn't have made it without Autotune!" or saying what might be your death sentence: "Björk sucks! She is a no-talent hack in artsy-fartsy-trendy disguise!" They will react in a very aggressive manner. Been there!!!

2) People who are aggressively "alternative", "esoteric" and believe that any harm coming your way is self-inflicted and mis-aligned shakras - all you need is being in touch with the universe and some gurus (I don't want to hear any of your negativism!!!! - Think positive!!!). I have seen quite a few of these "believers" going down real fast. It's funny how the bad news (poor health, out of business, dept, etc.) are all of a sudden not self-inflicted anymore. Now it's the old "I accept my fate" routine. C'mawn! who do you think you are fooling?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:26 pm
Shoelaces that aren't tied, and high-top sneakers.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:28 pm
CasualDad wrote:
I absolutely go nuts when I am asked to answer the same basic question twice in a row. Question. Answer.

.... "Are you sure?" ....:evil:

Don't mind defending my answers or opinions in a debate conversation, but when someone asks me a straightforward question and it then becomes clear that they wanted a different answer than what I gave them it drives me bonkers. Why ask if you already know what you want? :evil:

Gotta love married life...

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:55 pm
Kiwis. The people, not the fruit. A bunch of cheese-eating, sheep-fucking people who just plain suck at sport. Seriously, have they ever won a game at the Rugby World Cup? They have a cricketer who wears glasses. Glasses! Why doesn't he fuck off and go read a book. Leave the sports to real men (impossible given his country).

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:54 pm
Assistant Director

Am I the only one disturbed by the racist replies? I hope they are joking...

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
Am I the only one disturbed by the racist replies? I hope they are joking...

I am disturbed as well, as that is one of the things that truly drive me up the wall...

That and homophobia.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:28 pm
Speaking of homophobia, doesn't there need to be a better/more accurate term to describe that for what it is? It's often linked with the term "racist". Homophobic, by definition, is someone who is scared of homosexuality. That's not really how the term is used. Racist is someone who dislikes people of a certain race. Homophobes aren't necessarily scared of homosexuality - they dislike it, similar to how racists dislike those of certain races. I guess it isn't the biggest of deals, but the term is a complete misnomer when used to describe someone who dislikes homosexuals, which is the most common usage of the term. A phobia is a fear, not a strong dislike or hatred. Of course, homo-ist doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Gayist? Doesn't sound condemning enough.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 pm
In my experience, fear of the unknown/misunderstood other is often the driving force behind bigotry.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 pm
Ken wrote:
In my experience, fear of the unknown/misunderstood other is often the driving force behind bigotry.

A fear of the unknown/misunderstood doesn't constitute a phobia. A phobia is much more severe than that. For someone to truly be homophobic, they'd have to let the existence of homosexuals severly impact their day to day lives, and know just how ridiculous they were being but be unable to stop. By and large, that isn't the case. A few ignorant remarks here and there don't add up to a full blown phobia.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:56 pm
Oh, I'm not saying that the casual use of homophobia is accurate in the sense that homophobia is a clinical term--just that it's not totally off-base. Such words often enter our common usage: depressed, antisocial, anxiety, and so forth. People often have the general idea, but don't intend the degree that their actual clinical definitions would imply.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 pm
Ken wrote:

Absolutely! Fear is the driving force of a lot of aggressive behavior and prejudice and bigotry.
I would add one more driving force behind homophobia: the fear of finding out that someone has the potential to be gay (or already is gay without admitting it to themselves). I tested myself many times, and gave it real attention. I am 100% sure that I am straight (not that this is a relief, I just know that I am). Same about pedophilia: I have seen some pics (they are all over the web, go no further than IMDB!!!) showing pretty girls at a very young age. The only thing I feel is the need to protect these girls from the cruel world around them. If I have any feelings at all, it is like a father who would rather die than "touch" his daughter. Not just because it's wrong (it's as "wrong" as it gets), but because I feel that way.

Some people perhaps avoid the work of testing themselves. They probably fear the terrifying conclusion....

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:00 pm