Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Post Re: Game of Thrones
Ragnarok73 wrote:
johnny larue wrote:
Wait...so Renly and Loras are gay now?

I'm guessing that it's been a while since you've read the books. The only difference is that the show is being much less subtle about the nature of their relationship than the books were. In fact, I don't know if the slurping sounds were necessary in that scene, but if they're aiming it at the average non-reader audience...

About a year since I read, and I've read a lot since. With the plethora of characters if the topic was briefly touched upon, I probably missed it or didn't mark it with any significance. I definitely didn't recall anything as explicit as was shown in Sunday's episode. HBO isn't shy about taking opportunities to show male coupling in their miniseries. Usually that's when I reach for the FF button.

Wed May 18, 2011 2:17 pm
OK, back from vacation and TV Underground is no more (temporarily, they claim). Any hints on where to download the last three episodes?

Mon May 30, 2011 5:22 pm
MunichMan wrote:
OK, back from vacation and TV Underground is no more (temporarily, they claim). Any hints on where to download the last three episodes?

Pardon my ignorance, but is TV Underground a legal avenue for downloading? If not then there's always torrents.

Mon May 30, 2011 5:58 pm
One note on the series so far: it seems like in almost every episode, the producers felt a need to put in a scene involving nudity just for the sake of highlighting the adult nature of the content. To me, this has felt more gratuitous- for example, the character of Roz (played by Esme Bianco), has appeared in the nude in almost every scene she's been in so far. The most gratuitous use of her admittedly-very fine female form came in a recent scene in which Littlefinger was expounding on his duel with Brandon Stark and his views. While I certainly enjoyed looking at Esme getting it on with another attractive female, I didn't think it was necessary to have the nudity in a scene of expository dialogue. Maybe it's just me.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:16 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
One note on the series so far: it seems like in almost every episode, the producers felt a need to put in a scene involving nudity just for the sake of highlighting the adult nature of the content. To me, this has felt more gratuitous- for example, the character of Roz (played by Esme Bianco), has appeared in the nude in almost every scene she's been in so far. The most gratuitous use of her admittedly-very fine female form came in a recent scene in which Littlefinger was expounding on his duel with Brandon Stark and his views. While I certainly enjoyed looking at Esme getting it on with another attractive female, I didn't think it was necessary to have the nudity in a scene of expository dialogue. Maybe it's just me.

That's a hallmark of a lot of HBO and Showtime series...they gotta push the envelope and make sure they're giving you something you won't, nay can't, see on network TV or basic cable.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:13 am
Second Unit Director

Well.... how 'bout that?

Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:53 am
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Well.... how 'bout that?

I take it you haven't read the books?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Watching this first season, it is quite amazing how many of the characters so far will not survive through book 4. I think you can count on one hand how many that have been introduced do!

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:15 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I am so glad they are following the books and not pulling any punches. (Like True Blood did.)
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Killing a main character like that is shocking and moving, even though we all know he brought it on himself with his noble-bordering-on-stupid ideals. In the end he went out a hero in my eyes, having done something right to save his daughters.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 pm
Alan Sepinwall writes excellent, spoiler-free reviews of the series. The comments are religiously screened for spoilers as well.

Here's the review of the latest episode-
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan- ... n-the-game

Reading his reviews really add to the viewing experience, as they did for The Wire. His Wire reviews should be read by everyone who wants a deeper understanding of the shows.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:45 pm
MunichMan wrote:
Alan Sepinwall writes excellent, spoiler-free reviews of the series. The comments are religiously screened for spoilers as well.

Here's the review of the latest episode-
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan- ... n-the-game

Reading his reviews really add to the viewing experience, as they did for The Wire. His Wire reviews should be read by everyone who wants a deeper understanding of the shows.

I read the review, and I thought it was very well-written. In fact, it pretty much describes what happened to my brother after I told him to read the series then watch the show. My brother started watching the show, then promptly bought and read all of the books, and now has Dance With Dragons on pre-order through Amazon, all in less than a month. Tyrion is his favorite character too, but he doesn't like Arya as much, to my disappointment.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:41 pm
On the show: the last episode was a good one, and in particular for me, the scene with Aemon and Jon in the Castle Black rookery was the most powerful. Peter Vaughan put in a great performance in that scene as the aged maester who used his own experience to teach Jon more about a cardinal rule of the Night's Watch. It was almost more powerful than it was in the book for me. Great stuff!

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:46 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
On the show: the last episode was a good one, and in particular for me, the scene with Aemon and Jon in the Castle Black rookery was the most powerful. Peter Vaughan put in a great performance in that scene as the aged maester who used his own experience to teach Jon more about a cardinal rule of the Night's Watch. It was almost more powerful than it was in the book for me. Great stuff!

Totally agree. That was a powerful scene indeed. That, and Ned's execution were the highlights of the this episode. IN the books, Nes stark's execution was told through the POV of Arya. This is one of the rare instances where the show improved on the books. To experience the whole scene through Ned's perspective, lent a whole new meaning to the scene. Knowing that Arya would not directly witness his beheading, and that the Night Watchman would take care of her, gave credence to Ned's acceptance of his fate.

I have to say, despite Joffrey being perhaps the least likable character of any in the series, the acting is fantasticl He tgruly is a 100% prick, and the actor sells it.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:53 pm
THIS SHOW IS SO FUCKING TITS!!! Best series since The Wire!

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:22 pm
Final episode this weekend. I certainly hope the next season is a full 13 episodes. I still find it incredible they were able to do what they have done in only 10 episodes. Apparently there was much more footage shot. I'm hoping for an extended version DVD release sometime down the road...

I love this show.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:35 am
Yeah, final ep in 2 days. Gonna be very sad after it is over. Next season HAS TO have more episodes... Please HBO?

This show has been fantastic from start to end, great acting, sets, locations... just everything. I hope it gets some awards.

If they can keep up the quality through the 3rd Season (assuming there is one), we have an all time great series on our hands.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:25 pm
This show won't start in Australia for ages so I went the torrent route this week. The show is fantastic, I can't get enough and blasted through the 9 episodes in a couple of nights. Never read the novels and probably won't just because I hardly have time for reading these days let alone a whole series. Just loving the way everything is coming together and hope it only gets better - there really seems to be a "shits gonna go down in massive way" feeling so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Does this series eventually head towards things like magic and sorcery? I'm actually preferring that it is really low key and very much a background element. Things just seem to get silly once you introduce it to the forefront and I much prefer the medievel setting with a side of low-key fantasy like those undead creature things.

And Munich i'm quite sure I read an article this week saying they are delievering another 10 episode season for its next one. I think it said something along the lines of the sheer cost is something that restricts it. Otherwise we might be looking at another Rome situation with HBO.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:30 am
Magic is definitely low-key and background in the books. Although I think in the next novel, more magic will come into play. You really should read the books. As good as the series is (and it is REALLY good), the books are much better. Up there with some of the best I've read.

When I describe my transcendent artistic experiences, I list Song of Ice and Fire, The Wire, and The Sandman right up there near the top.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:51 pm
Nick wrote:
This show won't start in Australia for ages so I went the torrent route this week. The show is fantastic, I can't get enough and blasted through the 9 episodes in a couple of nights. Never read the novels and probably won't just because I hardly have time for reading these days let alone a whole series. Just loving the way everything is coming together and hope it only gets better - there really seems to be a "shits gonna go down in massive way" feeling so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

It won't disappoint- there is a LOT of stuff to come, especially if the series continues beyond the 2nd season.

Nick wrote:
Does this series eventually head towards things like magic and sorcery? I'm actually preferring that it is really low key and very much a background element. Things just seem to get silly once you introduce it to the forefront and I much prefer the medievel setting with a side of low-key fantasy like those undead creature things.

This is the appealing thing for me regarding the entire ASOIAF series. Though it is fantasy, it focuses more on the characters and world than on magic and mythical creatures, though of course dragons are part of the story.

Nick wrote:
I think it said something along the lines of the sheer cost is something that restricts it. Otherwise we might be looking at another Rome situation with HBO.

The series has been expensive, but I don't think it will have exceeded the costs to make Rome, as the producers have not been forced to build entire sets.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:16 pm
How does HBO make money to make such expensive shows? Is it just through dvd/Bluray sales and new HBO subscriptions? Those two things are all I can figure...

Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:02 am
This is pretty funny-- One and a Half Men, starring Bronn and Tyrion, the new buddy comedy. :lol: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... ering.html

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next