Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome) 
Post Re: Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome)
"No, no, I didn't give you a company car, Michael, I gave you something much more important - company - which, apparently, you don't want to give to me."

Even funnier that it's being said in an attic by a grown man wearing his son's dead wife's maternity clothes.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 pm
Speaking of maternity clothes, the movie's apparently all ready to go. (I find this out via evenflow's facebook status lol.) After doing some research, we still need a confirmation from Cera saying, "I'm going to do it and I'm sorry for being a butthole." Still. Exciting news.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:19 pm
Favourite character, hands down... Carl Weathers

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There’s still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going

Priceless

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:47 pm
About Burger King...

"It's a great restaurant!"
Narrator: "It sure is!"

GOB: "Oh God, look at us crying like a couple of girls."
Michael: "Aww, you're the only one crying..."

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 am
It all comes to a peak during the trial when Tobias to making love 'on' Lindsay. Watching Seasn Three again, it is funny to note Jim Cramer in a few episodes. I think the show just gained another dimension with that. Did 'Arrested Development' predict the economic recession?

Of course it did, I wasn't asking. The real question is; where it Mitchell Hurwitz's Nobel Peace Prize? Damn snobby humanists!

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:43 pm
Definitely a fan :D

I've been away the past few weeks overseas on business and these DVD's always keep me company, the best thing about this show are the lines that make me chuckle the next day, one of the exchanges that had me laughing for days recently;

GOB as the newly appointed President (I have no problem with that) and Michael talking about the recent purchase of a Yacht when their mother walks in:

Michael: "Get the Seaward out of here."

Lucille: "I'll leave when I'm good and ready."

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:06 pm
Michael punches a hole in the wall of his model home, which is connected to the bathroom. All of a sudden, Tobias peers out through the newly formed hole, covered in blue pant, and says 'Are you crazy?' At which I point I convulsed with laughter for an entire hour.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:06 pm
Michael: What do you think of when you hear the name, "Sudden Valley"?
George Michael: Salad dressing. But I don't want to eat it.
Michael: What about, "Paradise Gardens"?
George Michael: Yeah... that's better. I can see myself marinating a chicken in that.

Why doesn't James watch this show? (I'm only assuming he doesn't because I've never seen him mention or write about it)

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 pm
pop pop.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:39 pm
El Duderino wrote:
George Michael: Yeah... that's better. I can see myself marinating a chicken in that.

Why doesn't James watch this show? (I'm only assuming he doesn't because I've never seen him mention or write about it)

Well, there's supposedly a movie in the works. So maybe it's best for him to wait until after that comes out. If he's impressed, then he might check out the show.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:08 pm
Ryan wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Well, there's supposedly a movie in the works. So maybe it's best for him to wait until after that comes out. If he's impressed, then he might check out the show.

Yeah you're right, that's probably what'll happen. I just hope he doesn't get deterred by all the inside jokes that they're bound to throw in there.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:23 pm
El Duderino wrote:
Ryan wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Yeah you're right, that's probably what'll happen. I just hope he doesn't get deterred by all the inside jokes that they're bound to throw in there.

Well, I'm not going to be biased here; if it requires knowledge of inside jokes to enjoy, then it does not deserve excessive praise. If it appeals both to fans anfd nonfans, then, well, I will be very pleased.

I say this because I saw Arrested Development first in it's Season two form, and this did nothing to hurt my experience. I liked it both as a fresh, new experience, and as a resfreshingly intelligent revisist of inside jokes strung together by the most kinetic comedic pacing I've ever seen. I won't become one oft he people I truly loathe - the person who undermine other people's opinions of a movie based on thier favorite show/comic/book just because they haven't read/seen the source material. They shouldn't have to.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:18 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Well, I'm not going to be biased here; if it requires knowledge of inside jokes to enjoy, then it does not deserve excessive praise. If it appeals both to fans anfd nonfans, then, well, I will be very pleased.

I say this because I saw Arrested Development first in it's Season two form, and this did nothing to hurt my experience. I liked it both as a fresh, new experience, and as a resfreshingly intelligent revisist of inside jokes strung together by the most kinetic comedic pacing I've ever seen. I won't become one oft he people I truly loathe - the person who undermine other people's opinions of a movie based on thier favorite show/comic/book just because they haven't read/seen the source material. They shouldn't have to.

Oh I agree completely in that I'd never criticize a critic who didn't like the movie and was able to articulate their opinion. This movie should be able to stand on its own, however I do think that's there's no way that they don't include inside jokes from the series. It's just the show's style. It'll probably still be funny by itself, and I don't think it'll alienate any new viewers, but I think fans will naturally have a better experience.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:40 pm
As long as there is a fight scene in front of a court house with that spanish music playing at some point...i'll be happy.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:28 am
Colin wrote:
As long as there is a fight scene in front of a court house with that spanish music playing at some point...i'll be happy.

I never picked up on the complete hilarity of this. :lol:

C'est la AD.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:41 pm
Jaimie wrote:
Colin wrote:

I never picked up on the complete hilarity of this. :lol:

C'est la AD.

Reminds me of the two competing banana stands, which wasn't interesting no matter what music you put to it. *runs through a selection of songs often used in the series*

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:54 pm
'Hmmm... ovarian cancer. Wonder who picked that...'

Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:25 pm
"Stop ... licking my hand, you horse's ass!"

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:57 pm
ATTENTION AD FANS: Some of you probably already know this but there's a new show replacing "King of the Hill" on FOX during Sundays. It's called "Sit Down, Shut Up" and was created by Mitchell Hurwitz and stars Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Henry Winkler among others in animated roles. The premiere is on 4/19 at 8:30. I just heard of this but haven't seen any promos for it yet - I hope it doesn't get the AD treatment. Anyone else looking forward to this?

Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:27 pm
"Sit Down, Shut Up" was an extremely metaphysical (and animated) version of Arrested Development, with dysfunctional teachers instead of a dysfunctional family. The pilot was mediocre, with a few laughs (Jason and Will's characters didn't interact nearly as much as they should have), but we'll see if it improves tonight. Whatever, it's nice to have Mitch Hurwitz back on television!

About the upcoming AD movie, here's an article from about a week ago where Hurwitz talks about it:

Quote:
Hurwitz and his cast are keeping busy with many other projects as well. For Hurwitz, there is, among other things, the highly anticipated and highly secretive Arrested Development movie. They’ve assembled most of the cast—a process that was a bit of a headache, and one Hurwitz says is not yet complete. It’s not even at the writing stage yet, but that doesn’t mean the scheming hasn’t begun.
So what’s Hurwitz’s big idea? Or does he even have one? “Let’s pretend for the purposes of this article that I do,” he says. “And let’s also add to that that it’s a really great idea. And now I just have to think of what that is.”

In the movie, the characters will still be up to their usual stranger-than-fiction, Blue Man Group absurdity, but there a few things that have changed. First of all, there’s the global economic downturn, which affects the Bluths, the oddball family that seems to get screwed by just about everything. “Some of the stuff that I thought would be interesting to portray seems a little dated now,” Hurwitz admits. “They’re in the housing business, too. So there are more opportunities, and better opportunities. There are bigger things to explore.” Any inspired titles? “Well, I could call it Arrested Development: Fired Up 2,” Hurwitz laughs. “I don’t know, maybe. It will just be our little thing, you know? It’ll just be our little funny movie—that people will be horribly disappointed by.”

AD2 may be firing up as soon as pilot season cools down, but until then, Hurwitz also has a handful of new shows in the works.

It's nice to know that this isn't just a rumor, no, it's a real, actual thing that will happen. But I just can not wait until there are actually set reports that it is in fact shooting. I don't think I'm looking forward more to any other feature film than this.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next