Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:07 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination 

Which one is the best?
The Godfather: Part II (1974) 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Taxi Driver (1976) 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
The Deer Hunter (1978) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Raging Bull (1980) 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
The Mission (1986) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Goodfellas (1990) 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 19

Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
An incredible list. Which one does it for you most?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 pm
Profile
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
One guess, and one only.


Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 pm
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
Tough choice, but in the end I had to go with GoodFellas.


Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 am
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
Fuck me Kunny, can you make these polls any harder?


Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
ram1312 wrote:
Fuck me Kunny, can you make these polls any harder?


Yes.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:13 pm
Profile
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
JamesKunz wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Fuck me Kunny, can you make these polls any harder?


Yes.


Wait...what are you agreeing to?


Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:53 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
ram1312 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Fuck me Kunny, can you make these polls any harder?


Yes.


Wait...what are you agreeing to?


Making harder polls. I accept your challenge.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:55 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 665
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
I chose Goodfellas since I think that is the best movie on the list. From just the acting perspective I would have chosen Raging Bull.


Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 pm
Profile
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
Ken wrote:
One guess, and one only.


The Mission?

Also: anyone else read that James just agreed to fuck ram in his kunny, harder?


Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:19 pm
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
ed_metal_head wrote:
Also: anyone else read that James just agreed to fuck ram in his kunny, harder?


Okay...for a second there I thought I was overreaching with my joke. Thanks ed.


Anyways, lame joke aside, after thinking about it for quite a while, I voted for Raging Bull. Look, I adore his work in the other films, but...

More than just his acting in Raging Bull, which is absolutely brutal at times it brings me to near tears...it's his physical transformation over the course of the movie. Going from a cut-up, ripped boxer to the washed up pudge fuck he becomes is just about unbelieveable. Performances like that are rare and can only come from an actor absolutely and fully committed to his craft.


Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:28 am
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
ram1312 wrote:
Anyways, lame joke aside, after thinking about it for quite a while, I voted for Raging Bull. Look, I adore his work in the other films, but...

More than just his acting in Raging Bull, which is absolutely brutal at times it brings me to near tears...it's his physical transformation over the course of the movie. Going from a cut-up, ripped boxer to the washed up pudge fuck he becomes is just about unbelieveable. Performances like that are rare and can only come from an actor absolutely and fully committed to his craft.


Ah, so you're the one guy. I was back and forth between the Godfather part 2 and Taxi Driver. Ultimately I ended up voting for the Scorsese picture but it was really close.

I'm actually a little surprised at the Goodfellas love. I too love the movie a great deal but it wasn't too difficult for me to eliminate it given the company that it's in.


Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:35 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
ed_metal_head wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Anyways, lame joke aside, after thinking about it for quite a while, I voted for Raging Bull. Look, I adore his work in the other films, but...

More than just his acting in Raging Bull, which is absolutely brutal at times it brings me to near tears...it's his physical transformation over the course of the movie. Going from a cut-up, ripped boxer to the washed up pudge fuck he becomes is just about unbelieveable. Performances like that are rare and can only come from an actor absolutely and fully committed to his craft.


Ah, so you're the one guy. I was back and forth between the Godfather part 2 and Taxi Driver. Ultimately I ended up voting for the Scorsese picture but it was really close.

I'm actually a little surprised at the Goodfellas love. I too love the movie a great deal but it wasn't too difficult for me to eliminate it given the company that it's in.


But Goodfellas is an incredible film! Name a more watchable, enjoyable, accessible great movie than it!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 pm
Profile
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
If anybody wants my elaboration on why I chose Taxi Driver (and, specifically, De Niro's role), it can be found here.


Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:59 pm
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Anyways, lame joke aside, after thinking about it for quite a while, I voted for Raging Bull. Look, I adore his work in the other films, but...

More than just his acting in Raging Bull, which is absolutely brutal at times it brings me to near tears...it's his physical transformation over the course of the movie. Going from a cut-up, ripped boxer to the washed up pudge fuck he becomes is just about unbelieveable. Performances like that are rare and can only come from an actor absolutely and fully committed to his craft.


Ah, so you're the one guy. I was back and forth between the Godfather part 2 and Taxi Driver. Ultimately I ended up voting for the Scorsese picture but it was really close.

I'm actually a little surprised at the Goodfellas love. I too love the movie a great deal but it wasn't too difficult for me to eliminate it given the company that it's in.


But Goodfellas is an incredible film! Name a more watchable, enjoyable, accessible great movie than it!


Yeah, see, I agree that Goodfellas rocks hard. I feel I like it better than Raging Bull, but we're talking about...wait...

Am I misreading the thread title here KunnieButt? We're looking for the best picture of the bunch or best DeNiro performance? Fuck me again...it's the better picture, isn't it...


Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
ram1312 wrote:

Yeah, see, I agree that Goodfellas rocks hard. I feel I like it better than Raging Bull, but we're talking about...wait...

Am I misreading the thread title here KunnieButt? We're looking for the best picture of the bunch or best DeNiro performance? Fuck me again...it's the better picture, isn't it...


Well...

Quote:
Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination


Quote:
Which one is the best?


Yep AssRam1312, we're talking about the movies here

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 pm
Profile
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
JamesKunz wrote:
But Goodfellas is an incredible film! Name a more watchable, enjoyable, accessible great movie than it!


That's easy: Pulp Fiction. I didn't even have to think. Lord of the Rings. This stuff is just sliding out.

I don't doubt that Goodfellas is a great film. It is. However, I think a couple of the choices are stone cold masterpieces which Goodfellas just falls short of.

And, wasn't it you who prefers Casino? My appy-polly-loggies if I'm wrong about that.


Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:54 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
But Goodfellas is an incredible film! Name a more watchable, enjoyable, accessible great movie than it!


That's easy: Pulp Fiction. I didn't even have to think. Lord of the Rings. This stuff is just sliding out.

I don't doubt that Goodfellas is a great film. It is. However, I think a couple of the choices are stone cold masterpieces which Goodfellas just falls short of.

And, wasn't it you who prefers Casino? My appy-polly-loggies if I'm wrong about that.


I may like Casino more (and, in fact, I do) but I will readily concede that Goodfellas is the better film

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 pm
Profile
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
Well shit...if I could take my vote back, I'd put it on Goodfellas. I'm an idiot.

But that would make a pretty good poll, no? Which one of the above movies has the best DeNiro performance, eh? Right? Right?

Ah, screw it, I'm just trying to save my stupid stupid face.


Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:01 pm
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
Tough Choice, but I went with "Raging Bull". "Godfather Part 2" and "Goodfellas" were close 2nds. It's been years since I've seen it, but I recall being underwhelmed by "Taxi Driver" for some reason. It's probably worth another viewing on my part.


Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:19 pm
Post Re: Favorite Robert DeNiro-Starring Best Picture Nomination
GoodFellas, though the only reason I hesitated for a moment is because of the films above, it has easily the least amount of contributions from DeNiro, rendering the use of the word 'starring' somewhat dubious. In my opinion, though, it's the cream of a very exceptional crop (excluding The Mission, which I found tortuously dull).

Anyone who says GoodFellas is short of Raging Bull and Taxi Driver, or that any of them are 'weaker' works, boggle my mind; how do you decide between three jewels? Each of them are not only great, but more importantly, are joys to watch and thoroughly entertaining despite hard subject matter and copious amounts of blood. Raging Bull is easily my least favorite of the three (I don't really care about the protagonist's plight all that much, to be honest), but it's still undeniably great; it's not a faux-great film, like The Deer Hunter, which lives on in film's memory because of some good scenes but shrivels under close scrutiny. And, in my opinion, the Godfather series is well-made beyond reproach, but not necessarily more involving than Scorsese's best three efforts, which I feel to be among the closest cinema has come to touching and actively toggling the human emotional pulse.

But yeah. GoodFellas.


Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:10 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr