Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
What countries have you been to? 
Author Message
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
MunichMan wrote:
Some people have PM'd me to post an actual list...

"multiple" means more than 10--

Africa
Egypt x6
Kenya
Morocco
Namibia -- Ecovolunteer Cheetahs
Tanzania
Tunisia x3

Asia
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Macao
Malaysia
Maldives
Singapore
Sri Lanka x3
Thailand x2

Central America/Caribbean
Honduras -- Honeymoon!
Puerto Rico
Trinidad and Tobago
U. S. Virgin Islands

Europe
Albania
Austria -- multiple
Belgium -- multiple
Croatia x2
Czech Republic x4
France -- multiple
FYR of Macedonia
Germany -- Live here
Greece x2
Hungary
Ireland x4
Italy -- multiple
Liechtenstein x4
Monaco x2
Netherlands -- multiple
Norway
Portugal
Russia -- Ecovolunteer Snow leopards
San Marino
Slovakia
Slovenia x2
Spain x5
Sweden
Switzerland -- multiple
Ukraine NEW
United Kingdom -- multiple
Vatican City


MiddleEast
Iraq
Israel x5
Jordan
Palestine
Turkey x3
United Arab Emirates x2

N/S America
Canada x5
Argentina
Brazil -- Ecovolunteer Otters
Paraguay


That makes 55.

57 if you want to count Scotland and Wales. 59 if you want to add Texas and California. 61 if you want to add Catalan and the Basque region. 62 if you want to count Bavaria. ;)


Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:03 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7423
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
AJR wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Wales, Scotland

Rob

Downgrade your number, boyo, cause those ain't countries

hmm?


Says:
“The United Kingdom is a Commonwealth realm consisting of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.”


Says:
"The United Kingdom (UK) is arguably Europe's most influential country. In simple terms, it's the union of the individual countries of England, Scotland and Wales,collectively called Great Britain (Europe's largest island) and the northeastern corner of Ireland - the constitutionally distinct region of Northern Ireland. "

So the UK is a country, and so are Wales and Scotland. So if someone says they travelled to both Scotland and Wales, and listed them as seperate countries, I wouldn't have a problem with it. :D


Okay maybe I should make something clear--when I say country, I mean "sovereign nation." With its own government, army, etc. So Hong Kong is not a "country," and neither is Wales, Scotland, England, etc. Things you need to clear immigration in order to enter (though obviously the EU has made that a bit different). You can count Scotland as a "country" if you want, but then you have to open yourself up to a whole ton of other things. Which is fine I guess. The "century club," a group of people who have been to 100 countries, count like 300 things, for example. But I'm a geography teacher in addition to a traveler, so I care about sovereign states.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:43 pm
Profile
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
I count Macau and Hong Kong, because at the time, they were both considered sovereign nations. That was before they went back to China. If we want to be picky, then you can strike both of them and add China.


Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:48 pm
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
JamesKunz wrote:
Okay maybe I should make something clear--when I say country, I mean "sovereign nation." With its own government, army, etc. So Hong Kong is not a "country," and neither is Wales, Scotland, England, etc. Things you need to clear immigration in order to enter (though obviously the EU has made that a bit different). You can count Scotland as a "country" if you want, but then you have to open yourself up to a whole ton of other things. Which is fine I guess. The "century club," a group of people who have been to 100 countries, count like 300 things, for example. But I'm a geography teacher in addition to a traveler, so I care about sovereign states.

So I guess it's something to watch out for when someone makes a "what sovereign nations have you been to?" thread...

I kid of course. It just seemed like an odd thing to scold Rob for, since he didn't really say anything wrong. You could have just as easily stated that while they are countries themselves, you would group them together as the UK, because you're a geography teacher and you care about their classification as a sovereign nation and yada yada yada. There was never any need for cattiness.


Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:12 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7423
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
MunichMan wrote:
I count Macau and Hong Kong, because at the time, they were both considered sovereign nations. That was before they went back to China. If we want to be picky, then you can strike both of them and add China.


But they were never sovereign...Hong Kong was part of China and Macau was part of Portugal.

AJR wrote:
There was never any need for cattiness.


Well maybe I was just jealous of his total because I'm American and it's hard to get to other countries... :)

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:41 pm
Profile
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
JamesKunz wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
I count Macau and Hong Kong, because at the time, they were both considered sovereign nations. That was before they went back to China. If we want to be picky, then you can strike both of them and add China.


But they were never sovereign...Hong Kong was part of China and Macau was part of Portugal.


But they were independent. If anything Hong Kong was part of the UK at the time.


Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:21 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7423
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
MunichMan wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
I count Macau and Hong Kong, because at the time, they were both considered sovereign nations. That was before they went back to China. If we want to be picky, then you can strike both of them and add China.


But they were never sovereign...Hong Kong was part of China and Macau was part of Portugal.


But they were independent. If anything Hong Kong was part of the UK at the time.


Pardon me that's what I meant. But they were part of European nations, and thus not independent. Any more than Guam is independent.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:35 pm
Profile
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
All this is interesting. I used to have a life plan to visit 100 countries, but about 10 years ago it all slowed down.

Funny story, an ex colleague of mine (my old CTO) once told me that he had been to over 50 countries. I was impressed. he mentioned that he was going to 5 on his next vacation. I was surprised and he said that he was doing a cruise and the boat stopped for a day in 5 different countries. Been there done that I guess :-(

From my perspective, I come from England. We are a country that is over one thousand years old. I'm proud to be English.

O that we now had here, but one ten thousand of those men in England, that do no work to-day!

Rob


Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:32 pm
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
JamesKunz wrote:
Pardon me that's what I meant. But they were part of European nations, and thus not independent. Any more than Guam is independent.


I get what you're saying Kunzie Bear, but you're far too strict with this sovereign nations thing. Just let the guys count the countries they've been to. After all, you can't really expect someone to say they've visited the US when they've just been to Guam, can you?

Similarly, there are a lot of islands in the Caribbean that belong to the UK, France, The Netherlands or some other European Nation. However, as countries they could not be more different. You can't even begin to compare Bermuda with the UK.


Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:21 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7423
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Pardon me that's what I meant. But they were part of European nations, and thus not independent. Any more than Guam is independent.


I get what you're saying Kunzie Bear, but you're far too strict with this sovereign nations thing. Just let the guys count the countries they've been to. After all, you can't really expect someone to say they've visited the US when they've just been to Guam, can you?

Similarly, there are a lot of islands in the Caribbean that belong to the UK, France, The Netherlands or some other European Nation. However, as countries they could not be more different. You can't even begin to compare Bermuda with the UK.


But where does that logic end Ed? Is Alaska not America? Is French Guiana not France? Is Vladivostok not Russia? You just set yourself up for all kinds of inconsistency when you decide what is and isn't "truly" a country.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:40 pm
Profile
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Pardon me that's what I meant. But they were part of European nations, and thus not independent. Any more than Guam is independent.


I get what you're saying Kunzie Bear, but you're far too strict with this sovereign nations thing. Just let the guys count the countries they've been to. After all, you can't really expect someone to say they've visited the US when they've just been to Guam, can you?

Similarly, there are a lot of islands in the Caribbean that belong to the UK, France, The Netherlands or some other European Nation. However, as countries they could not be more different. You can't even begin to compare Bermuda with the UK.


But where does that logic end Ed? Is Alaska not America? Is French Guiana not France? Is Vladivostok not Russia? You just set yourself up for all kinds of inconsistency when you decide what is and isn't "truly" a country.


Amen.

Which is why I will now count Scotland. ;)


Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:04 pm
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
I wish I could do more traveling; despite having been seemingly all over this country, I haven't done much exploring beyond its borders. Been to Mexico and Canada that I can remember. When I was younger (as too fucking young to remember :(), I went to Nigeria and Britain. That's about it unfortunately.


Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:22 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7423
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
MunichMan wrote:
Amen.

Which is why I will now count Scotland. ;)


Fucking cheaters all of you. I think I should count the 32 U.S. states I've been to as "countries." After all, they have governments, capitals, flags, etc.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm
Profile
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
USA
Brazil
England
Spain
France
Netherlands
Germany
Italy
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Denmark
Estonia
Russia
Romania
Hungary
Greece
Japan
China
Philippines
India
Nepal
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore
Australia


Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 pm
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
JamesKunz wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Amen.

Which is why I will now count Scotland. ;)


Fucking cheaters all of you. I think I should count the 32 U.S. states I've been to as "countries." After all, they have governments, capitals, flags, etc.


Then I'm counting the county of Devon in England. It has a government 9aka council0 a flag and even a police force. My mom says it's screwed up, but heh, most of us are

Rob


Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 pm
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
MunichMan wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Some people have PM'd me to post an actual list...

"multiple" means more than 10--

Africa
Egypt x6
Kenya
Morocco
Namibia -- Ecovolunteer Cheetahs
Tanzania
Tunisia x3

Asia
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Macao
Malaysia
Maldives
Singapore
Sri Lanka x3
Thailand x2

Central America/Caribbean
Honduras -- Honeymoon!
Puerto Rico
Trinidad and Tobago
U. S. Virgin Islands

Europe
Albania
Austria -- multiple
Belgium -- multiple
Croatia x2
Czech Republic x4
France -- multiple
FYR of Macedonia
Germany -- Live here
Greece x2
Hungary
Ireland x4
Italy -- multiple
Liechtenstein x4
Monaco x2
Netherlands -- multiple
Norway
Portugal
Russia -- Ecovolunteer Snow leopards
San Marino
Slovakia
Slovenia x2
Spain x5
Sweden
Switzerland -- multiple
Ukraine
United Kingdom -- multiple
Vatican City


MiddleEast
Iraq
Israel x5
Jordan
Palestine
Turkey x3
United Arab Emirates x2

N/S America
Canada x5
Argentina
Brazil -- Ecovolunteer Otters
Paraguay


That makes 55.

57 if you want to count Scotland and Wales. 59 if you want to add Texas and California. 61 if you want to add Catalan and the Basque region. 62 if you want to count Bavaria. ;)


Ok, just booked a flight to Malta. That will be another country off the list (or ON the above list). We'll be leaving on the 19th and stay for 10 days. I wonder if I'll see a falcon?

Parts of more than a few movies have been shot in Malta- Gladiator, Troy, Alexander, Never Say Never, Cutthroat Island, Da Vinci Code, Midnight Express, Munich...


Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:26 am
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
JamesKunz wrote:

Okay maybe I should make something clear--when I say country, I mean "sovereign nation." With its own government, army, etc. So Hong Kong is not a "country," and neither is Wales, Scotland, England, etc. Things you need to clear immigration in order to enter (though obviously the EU has made that a bit different). You can count Scotland as a "country" if you want, but then you have to open yourself up to a whole ton of other things. Which is fine I guess. The "century club," a group of people who have been to 100 countries, count like 300 things, for example. But I'm a geography teacher in addition to a traveler, so I care about sovereign states.


But UK citizens can travel to the Republic of Ireland without clear immigration of any kind. And whilst you are 100% correct on Wales (a principality rather than a country) the situation with Scotland is a little different, and getting more so year-on-year.

I live about 60 miles from the Welsh border and would perhaps struggle to define Wales as another country for the reason mentioned above, but there is a cultural, language and political consciousness divide. I think it's fairly legit to claim England, Wales and Scotland as different countries for the sake of mere conversation.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:45 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7423
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
NotHughGrant wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Okay maybe I should make something clear--when I say country, I mean "sovereign nation." With its own government, army, etc. So Hong Kong is not a "country," and neither is Wales, Scotland, England, etc. Things you need to clear immigration in order to enter (though obviously the EU has made that a bit different). You can count Scotland as a "country" if you want, but then you have to open yourself up to a whole ton of other things. Which is fine I guess. The "century club," a group of people who have been to 100 countries, count like 300 things, for example. But I'm a geography teacher in addition to a traveler, so I care about sovereign states.


But UK citizens can travel to the Republic of Ireland without clear immigration of any kind. And whilst you are 100% correct on Wales (a principality rather than a country) the situation with Scotland is a little different, and getting more so year-on-year.

I live about 60 miles from the Welsh border and would perhaps struggle to define Wales as another country for the reason mentioned above, but there is a cultural, language and political consciousness divide. I think it's fairly legit to claim England, Wales and Scotland as different countries for the sake of mere conversation.


My problem is that where does that stop? By that logic, why isn't Hawaii a country?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Okay maybe I should make something clear--when I say country, I mean "sovereign nation." With its own government, army, etc. So Hong Kong is not a "country," and neither is Wales, Scotland, England, etc. Things you need to clear immigration in order to enter (though obviously the EU has made that a bit different). You can count Scotland as a "country" if you want, but then you have to open yourself up to a whole ton of other things. Which is fine I guess. The "century club," a group of people who have been to 100 countries, count like 300 things, for example. But I'm a geography teacher in addition to a traveler, so I care about sovereign states.


But UK citizens can travel to the Republic of Ireland without clear immigration of any kind. And whilst you are 100% correct on Wales (a principality rather than a country) the situation with Scotland is a little different, and getting more so year-on-year.

I live about 60 miles from the Welsh border and would perhaps struggle to define Wales as another country for the reason mentioned above, but there is a cultural, language and political consciousness divide. I think it's fairly legit to claim England, Wales and Scotland as different countries for the sake of mere conversation.


My problem is that where does that stop? By that logic, why isn't Hawaii a country?


Because it has equal status with the other states doesn't it? Wales is a bit cloudy and Scotland cloudier still.

What do you think of City States?

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:32 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr