Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:09 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What countries have you been to? 
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
Hey all, I just found another volunteering site, which looks very good- Check it out!

http://www.ecoteer.com/

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:21 pm
I am envious of all of you.

Well, I have been to the USA (I'm not from there so it counts)... most of Florida, Atlanta, New Orleans, Salt Lake City, Park City, Reno...

Central America: Lived in Honduras and Costa Rica

South America: Lived in Peru (hometown), lived in Chile, been to Argentina and Bolivia

And I currently live in Australia.

Hopefully I'll get to visit Asia soon, seeing as how it's right around the corner.

Europe is still a long way away...

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 pm
I just got back from 18 days in Ukraine, so add another country to my list. It was a wonderful trip. Despite virtually nobody being able to speak English, we managed to get around. Being able to read Cyrillic certainly helped, despite not speaking more than a few words of Russian or Ukrainian. I guess my Navy training in Cyrillic to read Soviet ship names was useful for something.

Kiev is a great city. Over 5 million people and ready to take its place among European world capitals. Beautiful parks, fantastic churches, great food, and some incredible looking women (I'll get to that later).

We spent a week in Kiev, staying with a friend and had a great time. We took day trips to Umman to visit a wonderful park and to Chernobyl. Chernobyl was a surreal experience. 25 years after the accident, the radiation levels are still dangerous in parts. Visiting Prypyat, the ghost city evacuated after the explosion, was an unforgettable experience. Seeing how nature has so quickly reclaimed the city was impressive. Going through abandoned apartment buildings and hotels, seeing calendars from 1986 still hanging on the walls, old classrooms with books still laying about... Simply an unforgettable experience.

Seeing the reactor itself, with the deteriorating "containment" housing was something else as well. When Chernobyl happened, the nuclear industry assured the world that such an event would never happen again. Fukijima certainly disproved that.

Anyway, from Kiev we went to the Crimean peninsula. What a beautiful part of the country. Stunning landscape. Yalta was interesting, and seeing the place of the Yalta conference was a nice window back into history. For me, being ex-Navy Intelligence, perhaps the highlight of the trip was visiting Sevastopol. A closed city until nearly 2000, and home of the Soviet Black sea Fleet (now shared between Russia and Ukraine), being able to pay €10 to take a tourist boat into the harbor and freely take pictures of the Russian and Ukrainian ships moored there. Let's just say that that is something that I never imagined would be possible. Like an old shipmate said, "I'm surprised you even recognized them from that angle, if you know what I mean." Sevastopol was only opened for Ukrainians in 1996, and for tourists sometime later. Still hard to believe I was actually there, let alone riding in a tourist boat among the naval vessels.

From the Crimean, we went to Odessa, which is a beautiful city. Like Prague (one of my favorite cities) Odessa was barely touched during WWII, and the architecture is something to behold. On our last night, we went to the opera, which was fantastic. The opera house in Odessa in one of the grandest in Europe and was designed by the same architects that built the theaters in Vienna and Dresden. Simply stunning. We bought the best seats in the house, first row box seats, and that set us back a whole €14. The cheapest seats cost less than an Euro. The production was world class. We saw Turandot, and it was great. Seeing "Nessun Dorma" performed live, in that setting, is something I'll never forget. Just writing about it now gives me goosebumps.

Anyway, a wonderful trip.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:55 pm
Sounds like a great time. However...
MunichMan wrote:
and some incredible looking women (I'll get to that later).

And yet you never did....unless I have to wait for "Part 2" of your travelogue, you can't tease stuff like that and not deliver. :twisted:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm
Critic

johnny larue wrote:
Sounds like a great time. However...
MunichMan wrote:
and some incredible looking women (I'll get to that later).

And yet you never did....unless I have to wait for "Part 2" of your travelogue, you can't tease stuff like that and not deliver. :twisted:

My wife was from Kiev. Not that she's "incredible looking," but still. Hot Soviet women FTW!

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:46 pm
Oops, real life intruded on my musings. My theory on the reason Ukrainian women have the reputation of being the hottest on the planet is (no offense to wives of those present) they all dress like streetwalkers. This gives the impression to shallow-minded men that they are available. Men being men, imagined availability certainly enhances attractiveness.

I'm sure that 99% of the women are fine, morally upstanding, nice girls, but 5-inch fuck me pumps, miniskirts and low-cut blouses certainly imply otherwise. That's probably why Eastern European women have the reputation of being cheap in the West. They simply look the part when compared to other women here. I'M sure they're not, really. That's just the way they dress.

Not that I was complaining...

I still maintain Israel has the greatest proportion of good-looking women on a per-capita basis.

I've been to nearly 60 countries, and Israel is still #1 for me in the hot women category.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:56 pm
MunichMan wrote:
From the Crimean, we went to Odessa, which is a beautiful city. Like Prague (one of my favorite cities) Odessa was barely touched during WWII, and the architecture is something to behold. On our last night, we went to the opera, which was fantastic.

Did you get a chance to check out Potemkin's Odessa Steps? Seeing that in real life would have been pretty cool.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:14 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
From the Crimean, we went to Odessa, which is a beautiful city. Like Prague (one of my favorite cities) Odessa was barely touched during WWII, and the architecture is something to behold. On our last night, we went to the opera, which was fantastic.

Did you get a chance to check out Potemkin's Odessa Steps? Seeing that in real life would have been pretty cool.

Of course! Silly me, this being a film forum, I completely forgot one of the highlights of the trip, the Potempkin Steps. So cool seeing that in person. I have many pictures, which I hope to go through this weekend. Once I have winnowed out the bad ones, I will post some.

We stayed at the Londonskaya hotel, which was about a 30 second walk from the stairs. Through our friend in the embassy, we got a discount, which was great. Truly an "Old Europe" classic hotel experience. I will post pictures from the hotel as well.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:05 pm
Critic

MunichMan wrote:
Oops, real life intruded on my musings. My theory on the reason Ukrainian women have the reputation of being the hottest on the planet is (no offense to wives of those present) they all dress like streetwalkers. This gives the impression to shallow-minded men that they are available. Men being men, imagined availability certainly enhances attractiveness.

I'm sure that 99% of the women are fine, morally upstanding, nice girls, but 5-inch fuck me pumps, miniskirts and low-cut blouses certainly imply otherwise. That's probably why Eastern European women have the reputation of being cheap in the West. They simply look the part when compared to other women here. I'M sure they're not, really. That's just the way they dress.

Not that I was complaining...

I still maintain Israel has the greatest proportion of good-looking women on a per-capita basis.

I've been to nearly 60 countries, and Israel is still #1 for me in the hot women category.

Israel did rock completely in this regard. But I'm Jewish and thus probably prejudiced.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:39 pm
Director

Strange, I tend to think that women of ancestry far removed from mine (Indian, Chinese, Japanese, etc.) are more attractive than ones close to mine (Eastern European).

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 pm
firefly wrote:
Strange, I tend to think that women of ancestry far removed from mine (Indian, Chinese, Japanese, etc.) are more attractive than ones close to mine (Eastern European).

Yeah, you gotta love Asian women! :)

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 pm
49 countries for me until I read Munichman's list and realized that I have been to the Vatican and completely forgot that it was a country.

So 50 yay!

of them, 17 are multiples (10 times or more)
England, France, Belgium, Spain, Mexico, Canada
Germany. Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Netherlands
Italy, Denmark, Wales, Scotland, US and Sweden

Rob

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:14 pm
Critic

Robert Holloway wrote:
Wales, Scotland

Rob

Downgrade your number, boyo, cause those ain't countries

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:34 pm
Are you serious :-)
Scotland even has it's own parliament
Both play in national sports tournaments
Rob

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:50 pm
Critic

Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Scotland is a part of the United Kingdom, a nation. This is accepted by everyone other than people from Scotland. It is not one of the 193-195 (depending on whether you count Kosovo and Taiwan) sovereign nations.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:12 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Scotland is a part of the United Kingdom, a nation. This is accepted by everyone other than people from Scotland. It is not one of the 193-195 (depending on whether you count Kosovo and Taiwan) sovereign nations.

I don't think there are many people in the UK who do not see Scotland as a country.
Are you suggesting it's a state within the UK
So is England a state?

I hate the fact that in the US I am classified as British versus English
England was a great country before the US was even pissed upon
Rob

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:59 am
Well, I can upgrade my list as well, since I've been to Cardiff, Edinburgh and Texas (also considered by many inhabitants to be a separate country). ;)

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:26 am
Critic

Robert Holloway wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

I don't think there are many people in the UK who do not see Scotland as a country.
Are you suggesting it's a state within the UK
So is England a state?

I hate the fact that in the US I am classified as British versus English
England was a great country before the US was even pissed upon
Rob

The United Kingdom is composed of Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Together they form a single nation. Does anyone in Northern Ireland fancy themselves to be independent? Nope. Not many Welsh do either. Just the proud Scots. Similar to the Quebecois I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states
http://www.sporcle.com/games/europe.php
http://www.worldatlas.com/nations.htm
http://www.state.gov/misc/list/

I mean, I know y'all have a flag and sports teams and such, but so does Puerto Rico

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:17 am
This is interesting.

As a Brit I've never thought about it differently. Are Scotland, Wales and Ireland countries? I guess that from childhood I just accepted that we were countries in a United Kingdom. I have always been peed off when filling out forms to not have England available.

Hmmm, never really thought about it that hard. So England is not a country?

Rob

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:43 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Wales, Scotland

Rob

Downgrade your number, boyo, cause those ain't countries

hmm?

Says:
“The United Kingdom is a Commonwealth realm consisting of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.”

Says:
"The United Kingdom (UK) is arguably Europe's most influential country. In simple terms, it's the union of the individual countries of England, Scotland and Wales,collectively called Great Britain (Europe's largest island) and the northeastern corner of Ireland - the constitutionally distinct region of Northern Ireland. "

So the UK is a country, and so are Wales and Scotland. So if someone says they travelled to both Scotland and Wales, and listed them as seperate countries, I wouldn't have a problem with it. :D

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:52 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next