Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
May 31, 2011: "They Just Don't Get It" 
Post Re: May 31, 2011: "They Just Don't Get It"
Dragonbeard wrote:
May I just ask, are independent theatres very common in the States? The nearest one to me is in Reading (I've heard, never been) which is a half hour drive and as far as I know the next furthest is Southampton; another hours drive away on top of that.

A stage theatre in town shows big movies in limited runs but I'm not sure if that counts or not...

I can't speak for the country as a whole, but here in Phoenix there's really only one, and it's a thirty-minute drive from where I live. It's also not an "independent" theatre in the strictest sense: it's actually a Harkins establishment, but their selection of films is always outside the mainstream. Still, in order to see a smaller release I really have to go out of my way, which is irritating.

However, just recently, I've noticed AMC starting to show independent films at my local chain. I saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams in a 24-theater multiplex, which is something I wasn't expecting. Of course, I was the only one in the theater... :roll:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:28 pm
Gaffer

I enjoy seeing movies in the theater. I have not encountered nearly as many problems as many here apparently have.

One important factor that wasn't brought up by Mr. Berardinelli was expendable income. I have enough expendable income to see movies in the theater and overpay for popcorn and pop. I do not have enough expendable income to have a home theater system. We do not have a flat screen TV or a blu-ray player. My stereo was purchased in 1987. We do not even have cable. Not everyone can afford to build an awesome home theater.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 pm
johnfrank1970 wrote:
I enjoy seeing movies in the theater. I have not encountered nearly as many problems as many here apparently have.

One important factor that wasn't brought up by Mr. Berardinelli was expendable income. I have enough expendable income to see movies in the theater and overpay for popcorn and pop. I do not have enough expendable income to have a home theater system. We do not have a flat screen TV or a blu-ray player. My stereo was purchased in 1987. We do not even have cable. Not everyone can afford to build an awesome home theater.

If you didn't buy refreshments, you could've build TWO awesome home theater systems.

As for my theater experiences, I have one hard and fast rule that I abide by always. Never see anything at night....unless it's with friends.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:48 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
Exactly how many people do you all know who own televisions that are over 72", display 1080p and have invested in a sound system that actually does sound good? Bearing in mind that you cannot save money on the sound part.

Very few people I know who have invested in HD televisions have gone for models over about 60" The main reason is space; my parents own a 42" because the only place in the living room we can keep a television means we don't have the view distance for anything larger. I feel this or more of a UK thing where houses are generally smaller. The view distance is essential for still being able to see a good quality picture. If you sit too close to anything over about 30", the picture just fails.

I can't speak for the States but the biggest UK chain, VUE, generally has pretty nice cinemas. That is to say the place is clean, the facilities are usable and you get a comfy seat. The screens are large and I've only ever had a problem ONCE, when I saw '300' and it had to be restarted 5 mins in for some reason. On the other hand, the staff are rather lousy. No exaggeration, NOBODY in the building knows more about film than they can learn from reading the 'Coming Soon' pamphlets. Perhaps being into movies makes you over qualified (I've failed TWICE to gain employment at the company).

I'm siding with the studios to an extent; I think it's high time that Cinemas need to be shown that people no longer NEED them as such. I mean why not make ALL movies straight to TV/DVD? The audience is there right? However I do love the cinema going experience. Not for the 'shared experience' that James mentioned but the social element of going as a group and then arguing about the movie in a bar afterwards. I'd definitely miss that!

60" = 5'

James' argument is relevant. And personally for me, its also note perfect.

On another quest, how does one become a "quality" digital projectionist? I am a proper IT person, and I bet I could manage learning this and adding it to my consulting portfolio. I know, I know... www.lmgtfy.com

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:05 pm
I NEVER buy anything at the concession stand, it's WAY overpriced and i'd rather not distract myself by eating, also I won't get anything to drink because I don't want to end up missing part of the film by having to go to the bathroom.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
There is another influence in this model. Movies available on torrent sites. The studios also know that this horse has bolted and that DVDrip 480p, 720p and 1080p versions are all available of every film on line weeks before the discs are released.

I dont know if my experience is similar in any ways to others, but torrent site downloads are a fucking joke. It still takes a while to download a film, and while supposedly the larger the file size, the higher quality the movie, but honestly, I dont think ive ever been able to get anything bigger than 800MB to download successfully and on the rare occasion I do, and most of the time with the 800MB downloads, its either complete crap spam BS, or its a swedish version with english subtitles.

Downloading may be the future, but it is NOT here yet in the torrent world. And the expectation of free is total bullshit as well. If you can't afford it, you dont have the right to watch it. Not that you even can anyway, generally speaking...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:20 pm
Vexer wrote:
I NEVER buy anything at the concession stand, it's WAY overpriced and i'd rather not distract myself by eating, also I won't get anything to drink because I don't want to end up missing part of the film by having to go to the bathroom.

I wonder if by not buying anything at the concession stand if you are adding to the problem by not supporting the theater whatsoever. Since they barely make $1 per patron on the ticket price, this is why projectionists aren't hired, sound sucks and the yenta next to you wont get off the phone while her stroller baby is crying.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:24 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I wonder if by not buying anything at the concession stand if you are adding to the problem by not supporting the theater whatsoever. Since they barely make $1 per patron on the ticket price, this is why projectionists aren't hired, sound sucks and the yenta next to you wont get off the phone while her stroller baby is crying.

Oh yeah, me not buying overpriced food is adding to the problem :roll: I've always had a good experience at my local theaters- I've NEVER had any real problem with theater patrons in any of the movie showings i've attended so far, there haven't been any sound problems and there's ALWAYS a projectionist on duty, so if there's a problem with the film it gets fixed in mere minutes, therefore I have NO incentive whatsoever to buy ridiculously overpriced food, besides with the price of gas nowadays, i'm very adverse to wasting money on overpriced crap (the food dosen't look very good either) that's reason enough for me to never buy anything at the concession stand.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:19 pm
Gaffer

Thank you, Dragonbeard! Pattinson was excellent as Cedric in "The Goblet of Fire."

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm
Gaffer

Patrick wrote:
If you didn't buy refreshments, you could've build TWO awesome home theater systems.

Heh heh. Amusing, but not accurate. :D If I see 35 movies in the theater each year and spend $10 on popcorn and pop, that's only $350 per year. I'd have to go without food at the theater for several years to be able to afford a nice home theater system.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:58 pm
Vexer wrote:
I know that most people don't care, but there's also the concern that movie popcorn is really, really, really bad for you.

Popcorn is traditionally a healthy, quick-burning snack. However, at the concession stand, they overload it with salt, oil, and artificial flavorings. The tendency is to munch it constantly during the movie so you really have no idea how much you're eating until your hand hits the bottom of the unnecessarily huge bucket.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:01 am
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I know that most people don't care, but there's also the concern that movie popcorn is really, really, really bad for you.

Popcorn is traditionally a healthy, quick-burning snack. However, at the concession stand, they overload it with salt, oil, and artificial flavorings. The tendency is to munch it constantly during the movie so you really have no idea how much you're eating until your hand hits the bottom of the unnecessarily huge bucket.

I'm well aware of how unhealthy it is, which is yet another reason why i stay the hell away from concession food, I don't care much for popcorn in general really.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 am
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:

and if you want people to drink over priced soda - add slat to their popcorn - simple
Rob

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:45 am
Since you state that viewing "The Greatest Show on Earth" will be chore (and when I viewed it, I also found it chore to sit through), maybe you should watch and review another more deserving Best Picture winner. Perhaps the 1978 winner "The Deer Hunter." I know it breaks chronology, but for me, that is a superlative motion picture! Its length of 3 hours is also put to good use, unlike DeMille's overblown circus movie.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 am
Director

I'll never stop going to the movies. I love it. Especially with big hollywood movies. I've been fortunate enough that I don't have to deal with rude patrons.

As for overpriced concession stand food/snacks/beverages, well I usually buy food elsewhere and sneak it in. There is a subway nearby so I buy a hoagie and sneak it in.

BUT, I do welcome this 1 month to dvd change. It helps with smaller independent fare which I often don't get to see in theaters unless I pluck down extra money for a train ride into the city and back.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:16 am
ABALLAM3 wrote:
Since you state that viewing "The Greatest Show on Earth" will be chore (and when I viewed it, I also found it chore to sit through), maybe you should watch and review another more deserving Best Picture winner. Perhaps the 1978 winner "The Deer Hunter." I know it breaks chronology, but for me, that is a superlative motion picture! Its length of 3 hours is also put to good use, unlike DeMille's overblown circus movie.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

3 hours put to good use? That's a good one. Especially the painfully slow first hour.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 am
60" is 5' but let's not quibble :P

My point still stands; how many people own a television of this size? Certainly NOBODY I've ever known has owned a 10' television and I'm certain I've never seen one for sale. Not that there'd be much point, the HD picture would look shocking, unless you were some distance away.

I've often attempted to visualise a screen at home as being the same as a cinema screen but the dimensions aren't quite right.

Yes he was fantastic as Cedric. He captured the character far better than Clemence Posey. Incidentally, for anyone who has seen 'Deathly Hallows 1', is her voice overdubbed? Two thoughts: Her English is suddenly perfect and it's really not the same voice... Just wondering.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 am
Gaffer

I am a father in my 40s and one of my guilty pleasures is to go to the movies by myself and wolf down a big bag of buttered popcorn. But I've come to be very selective about when I go. Mostly I go the first morning show on a weekend. I will never go on a weekend night, and even with the smaller crowds at the weekend morning showings, I sometimes now have to sit down in front to avoid seeing the blue flashlights waving around in the dark auditorium as people check texts and the time on their smartphones.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 am
Jeffy3 wrote:
I am a father in my 40s and one of my guilty pleasures is to go to the movies by myself and wolf down a big bag of buttered popcorn. But I've come to be very selective about when I go. Mostly I go the first morning show on a weekend. I will never go on a weekend night, and even with the smaller crowds at the weekend morning showings, I sometimes now have to sit down in front to avoid seeing the blue flashlights waving around in the dark auditorium as people check texts and the time on their smartphones.

My favourite time to go by myself was in the middle of a weekday, on the way home from college.

People talk about the prices of drinks etc but the soda is made the same way it is in a pub and tastes just the same, sometimes better (assuming the operator isn't a fucktard). Add to that the fact that pub prices are creeping up, the price has already become irrelevent.

All this talk of Cinema has reminded me of a theatre called 'Showcase Reading'. I presume it is a chain however it is the WORST Cinema i have ever had the misfortune of experiencing. One of the worst crimes was the sound; every now and then there would be a sudden squeak of digital distortion, no doubt a product of crappy file compression. It reached the point where, on leaving the Cinema, I made my feelings clear to the management. It was pointed out that nobody else could notice and it must be my hearing.

Amongst the other faults were lack of any decent caretaking, tiny auditoriums, sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, having to look UP at the screen no matter where you sat etc.

Rant over.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:32 pm
Second Unit Director

I've never really been a fan of multiplexes. I'd much rather see a movie in an old-style theater, but there are very few of them left.

As for 3D, since the 1950s, it's been trotted out every 10-15 years as the miracle advance that's going to save the movie industry, but every time people get bored with it after a year or so of hype.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next