Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:56 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Author Message
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Posts: 162
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
On we go to the semi-finals on the Champions League. We will more than likely play Schalke, who will be no walkover, but we should certainly reach the final.


Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 am
Profile
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
This has Barca vs Man Utd written all over it - unless Jose thinks otherwise :-)
Rob


Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:06 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Posts: 162
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
A nice result tonight and we book our place in the final against Barcelona.


Wed May 04, 2011 3:55 am
Profile
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
I have little to root for so my football viewing has declined dramatically in recent weeks. I did just come across this interesting article about upcoming UEFA's financial fair play regulation that details the possible loopholes clubs can use in order to ensure compliance. Good stuff:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/gabriele_marcotti/05/05/ffp/index.html?sct=sc_t11_a1


Thu May 05, 2011 12:23 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Eredivisie title is on the line tomorrow morning. Can't wait. I can actually watch Ajax v Twente on ESPN360. Hup, Ajax, hup.


Sat May 14, 2011 1:17 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
In England we are watching the relentless march of a new footballing dynasty powered by oil billions.

On Tuesday I watched Manchester City qualify for the champions league and today the FA Cup.

They have spent over $400m so far on players and it's clear that they will again outspend every club by a long margin over coming weeks.

I'm happy for their fans who have been without success for so long.

But buying trophies seems somehow wrong.

Rob


Sat May 14, 2011 4:11 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Robert Holloway wrote:
In England we are watching the relentless march of a new footballing dynasty powered by oil billions.

On Tuesday I watched Manchester City qualify for the champions league and today the FA Cup.

They have spent over $400m so far on players and it's clear that they will again outspend every club by a long margin over coming weeks.

I'm happy for their fans who have been without success for so long.

But buying trophies seems somehow wrong.

Rob

Don't worry, now that King Kenny is signed on in Liverpool, Man City won't be up with the big boys after next season.


Sat May 14, 2011 5:39 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Posts: 162
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
I hate Man City. Utterly hate them. In the same way that Chelsea did, they've spent so much money and bought themselves a trophy. They're consistantly linked with some of the best players in the world and they will certainly attempt to buy some of them in the summer. Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has stated that City have already signed two players that will blow everyone's minds. There's talk of them bidding for Kaka and Xavi, so perhaps it's those two players?

I'd like to see some players leave City as I think they're too good to be warming the bench. Milner and Johnson are both excellent, but going to City was a mistake for both of them.

This summer could see the largest spending spree by the top four or five clubs ever. Man Utd (CHAMPIONS! The league is back where it belongs and a sensational record broken. Up yours Liverpool!), regardless of winning the league and potentially the Champions League, clearly need to replace players (Van Der Sar, Giggs, Scholes) and need some added flair. Chelsea may sell some of their older players and bring new ones in. Abramovich wont be afriad to throw money at the team. If Ancelotti does get the sack, a new manager may come in and want to change a few things. Arsenal have been linked with a fair few players recently, but without a doubt need to purchase a world class centre back and a striker. Liverpool will give Kenny some added cash to mould the team his way. They have a lot of players that could be sold to fund the purchases of some good players too. Suarez and Carroll will be a real force next year.

I'm so excited for the Champions League final. It's hard to believe we've been there three times in the last four years. We've got Fletcher, Valencia and Nani all playing this time that missed the final against Barcelona two years ago.


Mon May 16, 2011 7:51 am
Profile
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
In England we are watching the relentless march of a new footballing dynasty powered by oil billions.

On Tuesday I watched Manchester City qualify for the champions league and today the FA Cup.

They have spent over $400m so far on players and it's clear that they will again outspend every club by a long margin over coming weeks.

I'm happy for their fans who have been without success for so long.

But buying trophies seems somehow wrong.

Rob

Don't worry, now that King Kenny is signed on in Liverpool, Man City won't be up with the big boys after next season.


The top 4 next year will be ferocious with Tottenham and Liverpool as genuine challengers and Arsenal and Chelsea far from safe.

As for Man City. It's hard to argue that they won't be stronger next season.

Rob


Mon May 16, 2011 9:09 am
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
There's no guarantees City will have any success. It worked for Chelsea but it failed for Real Madrid and they bought a team twice. Though, just winning the league would be huge for City. At the very least, if they win one title, it will be a success.


Mon May 16, 2011 10:11 am
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Bondurant wrote:
There's no guarantees City will have any success. It worked for Chelsea but it failed for Real Madrid and they bought a team twice. Though, just winning the league would be huge for City. At the very least, if they win one title, it will be a success.


Yup. And it's not like Chelsea won everything. They made one Champions League final and took a couple of League titles. Money helps you contend, but you can never buy trophies outright.

Bottom line is that the best players in the world simply won't go anywhere. Do you think Messi or Ronaldo is leaving to go to City? Hell no.

Let's not forget that all the big clubs (well, apart from Arsenal) spend a lot. A team like Barcelona who is world famous for creating rather than buying talent has spent about 300 million Euros on players in the last 4 years alone. That's...a lot.


Mon May 16, 2011 2:03 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Lots of questions regarding Bob Bradley's Gold Cup squad. Not happy myself but I still like our chances for a return to the Confederations Cup.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... ions-.html


Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Bondurant wrote:
Lots of questions regarding Bob Bradley's Gold Cup squad. Not happy myself but I still like our chances for a return to the Confederations Cup.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... ions-.html


This is only tangentially related but I am disgusted by the fact that Thiago Motta, a Brazilian National player is now a National Player for Italy. He played twice for Brazil at the 2003 Gold Cup. However, FIFA allowed him to play for Italy because they ruled that he represented Brazil for an U-23 side. What utter rubbish! Yes, Brazil did in fact opt to only send U-23 players to the tournament but it is very much a Full International Tournament and the other countries fielded full strength sides with no age restrictions. Brazil choosing to only field only U-23 players doesn't matter. The moment they stepped on the pitch they were a full senior side and should have earned their first caps. Certainly, players from other countries got their first international cap there so why should Brazil be any different?


Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
ed_metal_head wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
Lots of questions regarding Bob Bradley's Gold Cup squad. Not happy myself but I still like our chances for a return to the Confederations Cup.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... ions-.html


This is only tangentially related but I am disgusted by the fact that Thiago Motta, a Brazilian National player is now a National Player for Italy. He played twice for Brazil at the 2003 Gold Cup. However, FIFA allowed him to play for Italy because they ruled that he represented Brazil for an U-23 side. What utter rubbish! Yes, Brazil did in fact opt to only send U-23 players to the tournament but it is very much a Full International Tournament and the other countries fielded full strength sides with no age restrictions. Brazil choosing to only field only U-23 players doesn't matter. The moment they stepped on the pitch they were a full senior side and should have earned their first caps. Certainly, players from other countries got their first international cap there so why should Brazil be any different?


$$$ rules FIFA.


Tue May 24, 2011 2:49 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Vidic gets the captains band over Giggs?

I guess I'm pulling for United today. Love watching the "oppressed" yet wealthy clubs lose. Ditch the politics, play the game.


Sat May 28, 2011 2:58 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Barca were magnificent. What more can you say.
I just wish Arsenal would learn from this and develop a cutting edge
As for Lionel Messi - and he's only 23
Rob


Sat May 28, 2011 7:09 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
United was humiliated. Pathetic performance all around aside from Rooney. I'm not sure I've seen a game like this before where one quality side dominated another quality side.


Sat May 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Bondurant wrote:
United was humiliated. Pathetic performance all around aside from Rooney. I'm not sure I've seen a game like this before where one quality side dominated another quality side.


As an Arsenal fan i admire Barca and am proud that we are the only team to win a game off them in the competition
But United were well beaten, but not humiliated

Rob


Sat May 28, 2011 8:13 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Robert Holloway wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
United was humiliated. Pathetic performance all around aside from Rooney. I'm not sure I've seen a game like this before where one quality side dominated another quality side.


As an Arsenal fan i admire Barca and am proud that we are the only team to win a game off them in the competition
But United were well beaten, but not humiliated

Rob


Really?

3 total shots, 37% possession, Chicharito was offsides the entire match, no corners and a sloppy 16 fouls (Valencia was pathetic).

I'd say United was taken to school tonight.


Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 pm
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
In Valencia's defence he was clearly preferred over Nani because of his willingness to track back and break up Barcelona's plays. Nani is, by far, a more potent offensive weapon but he doesn't help on the defensive end.

In any case, when Barcelona is at its best they are pretty much unbeatable. United's only goal came from Barca giving the ball away and they had precious few chances outside of that.

I'm quite surprised that Fergie left Berbatov out of the side. He's provided a reason that most people have swallowed but Berba is one of the few players who could have made a difference (well, maybe helped them get another goal. I don't think he could have changed the result) because he's by far the best technical player in the United side. Early on, he's very good at holding up the ball and playing a good pass to a teammate. And, late in the game, he gives you the option to go long ball. It's not an eye pleasing strategy, but Barca is a short side and United was clearly unable to beat them with ground passing. Obviously, his finishing and workrate aren't always great but I'm still shocked that Fergie would deny himself such a versatile option.


Sun May 29, 2011 12:14 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr