Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
A Good Read? 
Author Message
Post A Good Read?
I'm a fan of the western as a film genre, and have been interested in reading a western. I just finished my book, so I'll start a new one tonight or tomorrow. Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to start within the genre?

Thanks,
-a


Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
A.M. wrote:
I'm a fan of the western as a film genre, and have been interested in reading a western. I just finished my book, so I'll start a new one tonight or tomorrow. Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to start within the genre?

Thanks,
-a


I'm confused, are you writing a book and what us to give you a good plot?


Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:13 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
No, I want to read a western and was hoping someone could recommend one. Hope that clears things up.

Thanks,
-a


Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:19 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
Are you an Elmore Leonard fan? If so you may enjoy Valdez is Coming. He also wrote Hombre the book the Paul Newman film is based on.

Louis L'Amour was the most famous and prolific western author ever. You may want to look into his books.


Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:58 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
Quote:
Louis L'Amour was the most famous and prolific western author ever. You may want to look into his books.


I've wanted to read some L'Amour, but am a tad overwhelmed with his catalogue. Have you read him? Do you have suggestions for where to start? Thanks for the Leonard ideas. I've read a few of his and enjoyed them.


Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:28 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
If you like fantasy as well, you might like the Dark Tower.


Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:53 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
A.M. wrote:
Quote:
Louis L'Amour was the most famous and prolific western author ever. You may want to look into his books.


I've wanted to read some L'Amour, but am a tad overwhelmed with his catalogue. Have you read him? Do you have suggestions for where to start? Thanks for the Leonard ideas. I've read a few of his and enjoyed them.


Nope. The only western I've read is Valdez is Coming. I'd pay a visit to Amazon.com and read reviews of L'Amour's books. He has a popular series called Sackett. That may be a good place to start.


Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:10 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
Quote:
Nope. The only western I've read is Valdez is Coming. I'd pay a visit to Amazon.com and read reviews of L'Amour's books. He has a popular series called Sackett. That may be a good place to start.


I actually just checked out The Daybreakers (part of the Sackett series). Here goes nothing.


Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:33 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
mailedbypostman wrote:
If you like fantasy as well, you might like the Dark Tower.

As an aside, I read the first four books and loved them, but some people I know say that the series completely unravels towards the end. Would you say that the series is still worth finishing?


Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:49 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
You might as well finish it, if only for completion's sake.


Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:51 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

It's a great book, but admittedly about the only western I have read.


Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:59 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
Haven't read a western in a while. But from old days of all the Louis L'Amour books I still remember "The Empty Land". The opening paragraph was like a hook and I finished that in one sitting.


Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:00 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr