Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 pm

A Good Read? 
Post A Good Read?
I'm a fan of the western as a film genre, and have been interested in reading a western. I just finished my book, so I'll start a new one tonight or tomorrow. Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to start within the genre?

Thanks,
-a

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm
Post Re: A Good Read?
A.M. wrote:
I'm a fan of the western as a film genre, and have been interested in reading a western. I just finished my book, so I'll start a new one tonight or tomorrow. Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to start within the genre?

Thanks,
-a

I'm confused, are you writing a book and what us to give you a good plot?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:13 pm
No, I want to read a western and was hoping someone could recommend one. Hope that clears things up.

Thanks,
-a

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:19 pm
Are you an Elmore Leonard fan? If so you may enjoy Valdez is Coming. He also wrote Hombre the book the Paul Newman film is based on.

Louis L'Amour was the most famous and prolific western author ever. You may want to look into his books.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:58 pm
Quote:
Louis L'Amour was the most famous and prolific western author ever. You may want to look into his books.

I've wanted to read some L'Amour, but am a tad overwhelmed with his catalogue. Have you read him? Do you have suggestions for where to start? Thanks for the Leonard ideas. I've read a few of his and enjoyed them.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:28 pm
If you like fantasy as well, you might like the Dark Tower.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:53 pm
A.M. wrote:
Quote:

I've wanted to read some L'Amour, but am a tad overwhelmed with his catalogue. Have you read him? Do you have suggestions for where to start? Thanks for the Leonard ideas. I've read a few of his and enjoyed them.

Nope. The only western I've read is Valdez is Coming. I'd pay a visit to Amazon.com and read reviews of L'Amour's books. He has a popular series called Sackett. That may be a good place to start.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:10 pm
Quote:
Nope. The only western I've read is Valdez is Coming. I'd pay a visit to Amazon.com and read reviews of L'Amour's books. He has a popular series called Sackett. That may be a good place to start.

I actually just checked out The Daybreakers (part of the Sackett series). Here goes nothing.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:33 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
If you like fantasy as well, you might like the Dark Tower.

As an aside, I read the first four books and loved them, but some people I know say that the series completely unravels towards the end. Would you say that the series is still worth finishing?

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:49 pm
You might as well finish it, if only for completion's sake.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:51 pm
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

It's a great book, but admittedly about the only western I have read.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:59 pm
Haven't read a western in a while. But from old days of all the Louis L'Amour books I still remember "The Empty Land". The opening paragraph was like a hook and I finished that in one sitting.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:00 pm