Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Post Football (the one played only with the foot)
Given that there are quite a few international readers posting in the Reelviews forum, how about we talk some football? (please don't start with 'but soccer was the original name' - they kick a ball with their feet)

Of course the domestic leagues are great fun, but for me nothing quite matches the spectacle of those Champions League European nights. The atmosphere is indescribable...and that's just on television, I can only imagine what it must be like inside the stadiums. The action on the pitch sometimes boggles the mind - Man United scoring twice in injury time to beat Bayern 2-1 in the final; Liverpool coming back from 3-0 down to win it all - these are all moments that I'll never forget.

My predictions for games being played tomorrow and Wednesday:

10/03/2009
Liverpool vs. Real Madrid (Liverpool lead 1-0 on aggregate): I don't see how Real can come back from losing at home. Rafa is a master tactician at knock out football, so look for Liverpool to suffocate Real's attacking flair.

Juventus vs. Chelsea (0-0 on aggregate): The somewhat resurgent Blues visit the Old Lady who've been grinding out 1-0 wins recently. Both teams are evenly matched but with home advantage Juve should advance.

Panathinaikos vs. Villarreal (2-2 on aggregate): Pana are this years surprise package. I never thought they'd make it this far and with 2 away goals they have a great shot at the quarterfinals.

Bayern vs. Sporting (Bayern lead 5-0 on aggregate): :D My favourite team is already through to the quarters. A loss at home would severely dent confidence though.

11/03/2009
Porto vs. Atletico (2-2 on aggregate): Atletico have way more firepower, but Porto have 2 away goals and are more experienced in the Champions League so they should make it to the next round.

Barcelona vs. Lyon (1-1 on aggregate): Barcelona have the better team (statistically they're the best European team this season), have an away goal and more Champions League experience, so I pick Lyon to advance :) . I'll take a lot of flak for this, but Barca seem a bit suspect of late, and besides, I don't really like them (or Real Madrid for that matter) and I get so much Schadenfreude when they lose

Roma vs. Arsenal (Arsenal lead 1-0 on aggregate): The Gunners have endured an injury riddled campaign that sees them way back in 5th place in the EPL. Some key players have recently made their return (Eduardo, Walcott) and they may just be the boost the team needs to overcome a dangerous Roma side.

Man United vs. Inter Milan (0-0 on aggregate): Man United are chasing an unheard of quintuple this season and Inter look weaker with Mourinho than they did with Mancini. United are in great form at the moment and should be able to get the win at home. Still, the Special One has knocked the Red Devils out of the Champions League before and could well do it again.

Last edited by ed_metal_head on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:30 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Eh, I prefer UEFA Cup.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:10 pm
Puyol is out for Barca too. I can easily see a score draw there and anything can happen in extra-time/penalties.

I think all the English clubs will go through. Chelsea are easily good enough to score in Turin and that will make it very tough for Juve. The one I'm least confident about is Man Utd, purely because of Mourinho. I can see it being a 1-1 and Inter going through on away goals. However, I could just as easily see it being 3-0 to Man U.

I'm not really a fan of the Champions League. I find it far too drawn out and by the time it gets to the exciting games (ie, now), I've kind of lost interest in it. Also, I support a team that has no chance of being in it, so I guess that doesn't help!

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:03 pm
Being a Gooner for nearly 40 years I trust in all things Arsene - and we shred teams who attack us

i am not convinced Liverpool have the Real madrid game sewn up yet. their form has been spotty lateely. But they are favorites.

I just cannot see Man United stumbling even with the talismanic Special one on the opposing bench

Chelsea are not conceding goals and Guus has them reenergized. they will be Ok against Juve

Bayern are the dark horse. Wow 5-0 at this stage.

Barca should be Ok.

I don't care about the others

I love this tournament and will be watching tomorrow and Wednesday. Hurry up Cesc!

Rob

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:18 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Being a Gooner for nearly 40 years I trust in all things Arsene - and we shred teams who attack us

Hell yes Robert

GO ARSENAL!!

However Arsenal has broken my heart in the past such is the case when the lost to Barcelona in the final a couple years ago. a lot of my friends are Barca fans and I had to watch it with them in anguish when we lost. Then My favorite player at the time Thierry Henry left Arsenal for Barcelona. He is dead to me now. With Walcott, Fabregas, Van Persie we didn't need that overpaid clown Henry.

Next summer World Cup

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:03 pm
[quote="ed_metal_head"]
My predictions for games being played tomorrow and Wednesday:

10/03/2009
Liverpool vs. Real Madrid (Liverpool lead 1-0 on aggregate): I don't see how Real can come back from losing at home. Rafa is a master tactician at knock out football, so look for Liverpool to suffocate Real's attacking flair. Close game :-) 4-0

Juventus vs. Chelsea (0-0 on aggregate): The somewhat resurgent Blues visit the Old Lady who've been grinding out 1-0 wins recently. Both teams are evenly matched but with home advantage Juve should advance. ooops - Another Brit team through, 2-2

Panathinaikos vs. Villarreal (2-2 on aggregate): Pana are this years surprise package. I never thought they'd make it this far and with 2 away goals they have a great shot at the quarterfinals. oops - they lose

Bayern vs. Sporting (Bayern lead 5-0 on aggregate): :D My favourite team is already through to the quarters. A loss at home would severely dent confidence though. Close game 12-1 on aggregate. Yikes!

I predict Premier League games each week and can only get 54% of the results right. it's really hard :-)

Now come on Arsenal and Man Utd. Let's make it 4/4
Rob

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:21 pm
Ha ha ha he he he, kudos to the dude who responded that he prefer UEFA Cup...

This thing they called soccer...twas a very boring year in the Champions League, I'm not really interested in the results of late.

Now what a wonderful day for cricket, as West Indies recapture the Wisden Trophy from the Brits...

'Barmy Army, Barmy Army, Barmy Army, Barmy Army, Barmy Army'

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:02 pm
So much for my Oracle aspirations. At least my fantasy team is doing much better. ;)

The Liverpool/Real game was the biggest surprise. I expected Liverpool to advance, but who could have expected them to put on the show they did?

Seems my memory is failing me too. I really should have verified some of those scores before posting since two of those aggregate scores were wrong. :oops:

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 am
bo-go wrote:
Puyol is out for Barca too. I can easily see a score draw there and anything can happen in extra-time/penalties.

I think all the English clubs will go through. Chelsea are easily good enough to score in Turin and that will make it very tough for Juve. The one I'm least confident about is Man Utd, purely because of Mourinho. I can see it being a 1-1 and Inter going through on away goals. However, I could just as easily see it being 3-0 to Man U.

I'm not really a fan of the Champions League. I find it far too drawn out and by the time it gets to the exciting games (ie, now), I've kind of lost interest in it. Also, I support a team that has no chance of being in it, so I guess that doesn't help!

What team do you support, bo-go?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:34 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
So much for my Oracle aspirations. At least my fantasy team is doing much better. ;)

The Liverpool/Real game was the biggest surprise. I expected Liverpool to advance, but who could have expected them to put on the show they did?

Seems my memory is failing me too. I really should have verified some of those scores before posting since two of those aggregate scores were wrong. :oops:

Ed, thanks for doing this. I enjoyed reading your predictions. i hope the Gooners get through today

Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

i am not convinced Liverpool have the Real madrid game sewn up yet. their form has been spotty lateely. But they are favorites.

Rob

Hey Ed, and what do I know :-)

Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:58 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
bo-go wrote:

What team do you support, bo-go?

Sheffield Wednesday, so the Champions League is but a distant dream.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:22 pm
just watched the roma game. tonetto is an idiot. and vucinic's penalty was just unacceptable. i really wanted totti to get to at least the final before he retired.:( kinda like zidane with the world cup. still, gunners getting through, not exactly a tragedy. united on the other hand. :evil:

you've got your 4/4 rob.

PS - been waiting for this thread. :)

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:06 pm
aameen wrote:
just watched the roma game. tonetto is an idiot. and vucinic's penalty was just unacceptable. i really wanted totti to get to at least the final before he retired.:( kinda like zidane with the world cup. still, gunners getting through, not exactly a tragedy. united on the other hand. :evil:

you've got your 4/4 rob.

Hi there

The Premier League is simply full of non English playerrs earning lots of money. The Brits should not crow about anything. Arsenal were not very good today. They scraped through more by luck than skill.

The last eight is interesting.

Barca are clearly on form. Bayern are on fire and then there is the Brit contingent.

Teams as an Arsenal fan i want to avoid next round:
Man Utd - the worst draw
Liverpool - this competition ignites them at Anfield

we will see
Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 pm
The only time I get emotional about a sporting event is watching Arsenal play like that. They had a few chances to tie, but clearly luck was not on their side. Those times.

P.S. I finally got to watch the game on the internet for free today. It truly is a beautiful game.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 pm
Listening to BBC Radio 5 live from the UK - the 606 show

Just heard that on the 4 Premier League teams only eight players were british! Yikes.

I'm trying to work out who there were, 'cos it sounds low - but i can only think of 8

Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard

Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand

Steven Gerrard

Theo Walcott

Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:23 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

Just heard that on the 4 Premier League teams only eight players were british! Yikes.

I'm trying to work out who there were, 'cos it sounds low - but i can only think of 8

Steven Gerrard

Theo Walcott

Rob

carragher and terry.
and jay spearing came on as a sub for liverpool. cant think of anyone else.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:39 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
aameen wrote:

you've got your 4/4 rob.

Hi there

The Premier League is simply full of non English playerrs earning lots of money. The Brits should not crow about anything. Arsenal were not very good today. They scraped through more by luck than skill.

The last eight is interesting.

Barca are clearly on form. Bayern are on fire and then there is the Brit contingent.

Teams as an Arsenal fan i want to avoid next round:
Man Utd - the worst draw
Liverpool - this competition ignites them at Anfield

we will see
Rob

Ten English players started the final last year. I don't think you'd get that many Italians in an all Italian final. A Real v Barca final would struggle to include that many Spanish players too. There was also only one Italian playing in the first leg for Inter, who are 7 points clear at the top of Serie A.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:15 am
aameen wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Steven Gerrard

Theo Walcott

Rob

carragher and terry.
and jay spearing came on as a sub for liverpool. cant think of anyone else.

Carrick played for Man U too. Although he's not British, John O'Shea has been at Man U since he was a teenager.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:20 am
talking about natives in leading teams, what does everyone else think about this "6+5" thing? isnt it supposed to be illegal? cuz its a straight discrimination towards international labor or something.
leaving the legality aside, will it be actually good for the national sides?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:03 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next