Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:32 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Terrence Malick--Where do you stand 

Which of these statements best describes Terrence Malick
He's an critical jerk-off subject who's majorly overhyped 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
He's made a couple interesting films I guess 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
He's a bit overpraised, sure, but he's a very accomplished director 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
He's earned the accolades: the man is a master 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 15

Terrence Malick--Where do you stand 
Author Message
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Blonde Almond wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I'd really like to hook up with you guys ( ;) ) too if you're doing this. I've seen Badlands and The New World but I'd like to see the rest of the man's filmography before checking out Tree of Life.

I honestly fell asleep the first time I watched The New World (and you will too if you're tired). However, my second viewing was completely different. This might sound corny, but it helps not to think of it as a "movie". It's more like a poem or a piece of art. Yeah, that sounds corny.


Count me in for this as well. It will finally give me an excuse to re-watch Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line.


Sweet we got 4. Maybe someone should create a special thread. It would be more fun than posting in the "Last Movie" topic and we might get others to join. I'll start a topic in the next couple of days if no-one else does (by which I mean, please, somebody start it :) )


Thu May 19, 2011 8:56 pm
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Pedro...you mentioned you might start that thread? No?

You don't have to. I'll do it, no problem...I'll be the "student" moderator if need be.

:)


Thu May 19, 2011 9:16 pm
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Funny, thing today. i was on the beach with my girlfriend and we got round to talking about Terrence Malick.

She loves Badlands and Days of Heaven, thinking that they are both great films. She's not seen his other two.

I'll join Pedro's Malick festival and get her to see the final three.

Rob


Thu May 19, 2011 10:25 pm
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
ram1312 wrote:
Pedro...you mentioned you might start that thread? No?

You don't have to. I'll do it, no problem...I'll be the "student" moderator if need be.

:)

I'll do it, just give me a day or two. Or more perhaps. :lol:


Fri May 20, 2011 12:23 am
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Pedro wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Pedro...you mentioned you might start that thread? No?

You don't have to. I'll do it, no problem...I'll be the "student" moderator if need be.

:)

I'll do it, just give me a day or two. Or more perhaps. :lol:


Pedro, it would be awesome if you could post Badlands in a week, then one more every week after that leading up to the latest in 4-5 weeks

Rob


Fri May 20, 2011 1:38 am
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pedro wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Pedro...you mentioned you might start that thread? No?

You don't have to. I'll do it, no problem...I'll be the "student" moderator if need be.

:)

I'll do it, just give me a day or two. Or more perhaps. :lol:


Pedro, it would be awesome if you could post Badlands in a week, then one more every week after that leading up to the latest in 4-5 weeks

Rob

I'll see what I can do. I actually have a compare and contrast essay on Badlands/Bonnie and Clyde due in the next couple of day, then a trip to San Diego from Saturday through Thursday. I'll see if I can write something up either before I leave or on the Friday after I get back. In other words: tomorrow or a week from tomorrow, if I don't fail.


Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 am
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
I am definitely in on this Terrence Malick festival. I already own The Thin Red Line and The New World and I can get Badlands and Days of Heaven from Netflix or other more "unsavory" means if need be.


Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 am
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Pedro wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pedro, it would be awesome if you could post Badlands in a week, then one more every week after that leading up to the latest in 4-5 weeks

Rob

I'll see what I can do. I actually have a compare and contrast essay on Badlands/Bonnie and Clyde due in the next couple of day, then a trip to San Diego from Saturday through Thursday. I'll see if I can write something up either before I leave or on the Friday after I get back. In other words: tomorrow or a week from tomorrow, if I don't fail.


Guys, guys, guys...let's not make this sound like an assignment. No need to have the pressure of deadlines or college level write-ups. I can see this thing dying out if we put responsibilities like that on people. Seriously, just post when you can...what you can.


Fri May 20, 2011 10:57 am
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
ram1312 wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pedro, it would be awesome if you could post Badlands in a week, then one more every week after that leading up to the latest in 4-5 weeks

Rob

I'll see what I can do. I actually have a compare and contrast essay on Badlands/Bonnie and Clyde due in the next couple of day, then a trip to San Diego from Saturday through Thursday. I'll see if I can write something up either before I leave or on the Friday after I get back. In other words: tomorrow or a week from tomorrow, if I don't fail.


Guys, guys, guys...let's not make this sound like an assignment. No need to have the pressure of deadlines or college level write-ups. I can see this thing dying out if we put responsibilities like that on people. Seriously, just post when you can...what you can.



Funny, you're right. Sorry Pedro. Now forget work and college and start watching Terry!
Rob


Fri May 20, 2011 11:09 am
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
ram1312 wrote:
Guys, guys, guys...let's not make this sound like an assignment. No need to have the pressure of deadlines or college level write-ups. I can see this thing dying out if we put responsibilities like that on people. Seriously, just post when you can...what you can.


Totally agree, buddy. And, let me quickly say sorry to The Pedro for suggesting that someone should make a thread long after he said he was going to do it. But yeah, ram is right. Start "Reelviews Watches Malick" or some shiznit. It doesn't even need to start with content. People can just post as they go along. Ram might start with Badlands and Josh might start with The New World. It'll just be cool to have all our thoughts in one place.


Fri May 20, 2011 1:28 pm
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
For all you Malick lovers, Criterion is having a 1/2 off sale through the weekend on Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line. You just have to enter the promo code NATURE.


Fri May 20, 2011 5:49 pm
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
PeachyPete wrote:
For all you Malick lovers, Criterion is having a 1/2 off sale through the weekend on Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line. You just have to enter the promo code NATURE.



Oh no!
There goes another $50 :-)
Rob


Fri May 20, 2011 5:58 pm
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Robert Holloway wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
For all you Malick lovers, Criterion is having a 1/2 off sale through the weekend on Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line. You just have to enter the promo code NATURE.



Oh no!
There goes another $50 :-)
Rob

I already bought them ages ago. :(


Sat May 21, 2011 3:37 am
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Hold the phone. Did you dudes know that Malick is currently filming a movie with a 2012 release date? There's even a production still online! 2 movies in 2 years? Maybe the Mayans were right...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1595656/


Mon May 23, 2011 1:53 pm
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
I'd read he already finished filming on the new project, how long it will take to edit however...


Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
Malick has made one great film -- Badlands -- and a series of visually impressive good ones. Save for Days of Heaven which was a great, big bore. But he knows how to tell a story with great style so he can stay.


Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 am
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7251
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
majoraphasia wrote:
Malick has made one great film -- Badlands -- and a series of visually impressive good ones. Save for Days of Heaven which was a great, big bore. But he knows how to tell a story with great style so he can stay.


Exactly! God I missed having you around

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon May 30, 2011 12:10 pm
Profile
Post Re: Terrence Malick--Where do you stand
majoraphasia wrote:
Malick has made one great film -- Badlands -- and a series of visually impressive good ones. Save for Days of Heaven which was a great, big bore. But he knows how to tell a story with great style so he can stay.


What poll option do those thoughts translate to? If time permits I would be pleased to hear more from you about Badlands in the General Forum Malick thread.


Mon May 30, 2011 5:57 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr