Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:12 pm

If You Were to Live in Another Country, Which Would It Be 
Director

Post If You Were to Live in Another Country, Which Would It Be
And why?

(also, what country do you live in?)

I live in the US. If I were to live in another country I would likely choose from amongst:

Singapore
Hong Kong
Costa Rica
Chile
Mauritius
Australia
Uruguay
New Zealand

In that order.

Last edited by firefly on Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 14, 2011 11:18 am
Post Re: If You Were to Live in Another Country, Which Would It Be
I live in Iceland.

I lived in the US when I was a kid, and I've always wanted to go back there, so it's definitely top of my list.
I haven't traveled a whole lot, but I visited Crete once, and I wouldn't mind revisiting, but I've also always liked Australia & New Zealand for both the climate and wildlife.

Sat May 14, 2011 11:31 am
Well, I'm British and have lived in 5 countries
All are different with their pros and cons
I have also visited 49
Best three cities are Barcelona, Sydney and the Bay Area
Rob

Sat May 14, 2011 12:38 pm
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
I have also visited 49
Rob

Well that sure makes me feel untraveled :oops:

So along with Britain, Spain, Australia, and the US, what's the other country you've lived in? And which countries impressed you the most/least?

Sat May 14, 2011 12:42 pm
I've only been to Canada and the Netherlands. I could see myself living in Toronto or Amsterdam. Both are great cities. I think I could see myself living in Germany. Though I have never been it seems like a place I would love.

Sat May 14, 2011 1:15 pm
I live in US

Countries I like to visit:

England(not the rest of the UK)
Japan
Australia
Canada....shut up

Sat May 14, 2011 1:18 pm
firefly wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I have also visited 49
Rob

Well that sure makes me feel untraveled :oops:

So along with Britain, Spain, Australia, and the US, what's the other country you've lived in? And which countries impressed you the most/least?

Hi Firefly

I have lived in England for 27 years, Belgium for 8, France and Switzerland for 1 each and now the US for 15.

I have visited Barcelona 15-20 times

It's one thing to visit and another to live in a country. I love india but unlike my girlfriend who lived there for 2 years i am not sure i want to do that.

I love visiting Japan and again my girlfriend lived in Tokyo for over a year - but I could not.

I adore visiting Italy and could definitely live there. South West France is awesome as well.

Regarding the US - give me good weather and quiet.

In the last five years I have kayaked for 2 weeks down the sea of Cortez and hiked over 150 miles in the mountains round Oaxaca. Love both areas. Then camped with the dogs in the Oregon wilderness.

Into The Wild is our movie :-)
Rob

Sat May 14, 2011 4:05 pm
I'm pretty happy with where I am but there are places I could see myself living.

I've spent all of 2 days in the US but for some reason I like the sound of San Diego. Of course, this is based just on reading. I haven't actually seen the place. Still, mediterranean climate, close to the sea, short drive to Mexico and a vibrant tech industry. Sounds nice. Is it?

I think it needs mountains though. I love seeing mountains and where I live it's pretty much impossible to go anywhere without seeing them. Mountains really give a place character and there's something reassuring about them. Like, I might get lost, but I'm never really lost. You dig?

Mon May 16, 2011 2:22 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I've spent all of 2 days in the US but for some reason I like the sound of San Diego. Of course, this is based just on reading. I haven't actually seen the place. Still, mediterranean climate, close to the sea, short drive to Mexico and a vibrant tech industry. Sounds nice. Is it?

I think it needs mountains though. I love seeing mountains and where I live it's pretty much impossible to go anywhere without seeing them. Mountains really give a place character and there's something reassuring about them. Like, I might get lost, but I'm never really lost. You dig?

Dude...it's hella nice. It's probably my favorite place to go to here in Cali. Yeah, you've got plenty of things you can do there. In addition to all you listed, you've got the Gaslamp Quarter district that has a pretty kick ass night life, Old Town San Diego, Sea World, the Wild Animal Park, Balboa Park...on and on and on. Plenty of stuff to do...family, married, or single-wise.

I used the word hella?

Mon May 16, 2011 4:19 pm
I wouldn’t mind living in Germany. The US and Canada would be nice to visit too.

I feel like I should travel more before talking about what countries I’d like to live in though. I’ll probably be travelling to the US next year. My girlfriend and I have been thinking about maybe going to Singapore or Hong Kong this year too, depending on how things go.

EDIT: I live in Perth, Australia. It's nice enough. Wouldn't mind going living in Melbourne though.

Mon May 16, 2011 11:54 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I'm English but have travelled round most of Europe and North America. I'm currently resident in Singapore which is a good place so long as you can tolerate its eccentricities. Given the chance, I would relocate to France which has always been my favourite. Even though the quality of the food has been steadily declining since I first began visiting back in the 1950s, it still has the best quality of life of all the countries I've visited.

Wed May 18, 2011 4:05 am
Profile WWW
The Netherlands, Switzerland, Canada, Samoa, Tahiti, France, Bangladesh, Nepal, Ireland, South Africa, pretty much anywhere in South America. All places I'd rather live.

Wed May 18, 2011 4:29 am
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:
The Netherlands, Switzerland, Canada, Samoa, Tahiti, France, Bangladesh, Nepal, Ireland, South Africa, pretty much anywhere in South America. All places I'd rather live.

South Africa isn't bad if you don't mind a very (very) high crime rate, corruption, media crackdowns by a party that's becoming a dictatorship, and having a rapist, racist goon as president. Well, those and a declining economy. South Africa is basically falling apart. Botswana is a better place to live despite 1/4 of the population having AIDS.

Wed May 18, 2011 9:04 am
firefly wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:

South Africa isn't bad if you don't mind a very (very) high crime rate, corruption, media crackdowns by a party that's becoming a dictatorship, and having a rapist, racist goon as president. Well, those and a declining economy. South Africa is basically falling apart. Botswana is a better place to live despite 1/4 of the population having AIDS.

I have friends who live there. One lives in Durban, which is fucking gorgeous. The sun and the beach is all I need. That's where I'd stay, probably.

Wed May 18, 2011 5:43 pm
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:
firefly wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:

I have friends who live there. One lives in Durban, which is fucking gorgeous. The sun and the beach is all I need. That's where I'd stay, probably.

It is true that South Africa is a gorgeous country. Though if sun+beach is your criteria, I'd suggest Samoa or Tonga.

Wed May 18, 2011 5:55 pm
I like the idea of Samoa or Tonga. Have you or anyone else ever been? My friends in Hawaii say there is animosity between American and independent Samoa's and that they don't really take kindly to white U.S. citizens in independent Samoa. But I probably wouldn't let that stop me from going.

Wed May 18, 2011 6:19 pm
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:
I like the idea of Samoa or Tonga. Have you or anyone else ever been? My friends in Hawaii say there is animosity between American and independent Samoa's and that they don't really take kindly to white U.S. citizens in independent Samoa. But I probably wouldn't let that stop me from going.

Pacific Islanders are far too laid back to have real animosity. I mean maybe if you ran around saying "I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN, WHY DON'T YOU JOIN WITH AMERICAN SAMOA ALREADY??!!" but beyond that, I can't imagine so.

Wed May 18, 2011 6:21 pm
Sun + beach + great people = Australia

Wed May 18, 2011 6:26 pm
firefly wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:

Pacific Islanders are far too laid back to have real animosity. I mean maybe if you ran around saying "I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN, WHY DON'T YOU JOIN WITH AMERICAN SAMOA ALREADY??!!" but beyond that, I can't imagine so.

I was thinking something very similar to this. Sounds good to me, considering my views on the U.S.

Research time...Samoa, here I come!!!
Robert Holloway wrote:
Sun + beach + great people = Australia

Everyone I've met from Australia has been super cool, but a place like Samoa has infinitely more appeal to me.

Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 pm
Here I go again with my philosophizing: It's all about change. Familiarity generates conempt. We all want what we don't have. The grass is always greener on the other side. BUT: there is a way to manage that:
I live in Portugal and for 13 years, back in the 90s, I hadn't visited my native Germany. I do that since 1997 twice a year. So basically I am updated on what's going on in my home country and I still can enjoy the Southern European way of life, which might be poorer and with lots of difficulties and a little less "aggressively-productive" as the Northern European countries - but it has a kind of heart and soul unknown where I come from. So basically: each time I visit my home country, fond memories are again uncovered - and each time I go back to Portugal, I have motivation to keep up the fight to make a decent living because I am so happy to live in an "exotic" country where it's hot most time of the year and where is life in all streets, and in the good old privately owned small cafés you get all the news about what's going on in your neighborhood while enjoying a cup of the best coffee known to mankind (any Italians objecting? Correct: the machines are all imported from Italy and the coffee is the finest you can get. Trust me.).

I went to the US many times and I love it to death each time I'm there. No kiddin'. Everything is huge - unlike Europe, everyting looks like in a Hollywood flick.... but after I had my 3rd soda (all flavors which don't exist in Europe and the first thing I do when I come to the US is having a root beer, a mountain dew or a Dr. Pepper's) I look around and think: what would it be like competing with the people born here - in a completely different system? How can I make a living here? No way! Well I don't even want to. - And then I fly back home and I'm happy - both for having visited the US and for coming home where I belong.

Conclusion: there is no ideal place to live for everyone. If you can afford it: travel. See and feel all the places. Become a citizen of planet Earth. That's the very best.

BTW: I have been lucky enough to visit also: London (4 times), Johannesburg, Budapest and the Hungarian country-side before the "wall" fell, and also Prague, Chech Republic. Travelling broadens your horizon and makes you appreciate more where you currently live. But that's just my opinion - and my usual philosophizing.

Thu May 19, 2011 6:12 pm