Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:37 pm

BRIDESMAIDS 
Site Admin

Post BRIDESMAIDS
Click here for the review of Bridesmaids

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed May 11, 2011 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: BRIDESMAIDS
Darn, I was hoping this was going to be the female version of the 40 year old virgin.

Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 pm
I'm gonna wait for Dustin Putman to review this before I decided whether to see this or not.

Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 pm
Well shit! I figured this one would be worth seeing because of Judd Apatow's involvement and because of the mostly positive reviews that i had been getting so far but I've got to be honest that those trailers didn't really endear the film to me.

Wed May 11, 2011 11:53 pm
I may check this out if only to support Paul Feig.

Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 am
As much as I like Paul Feig (the man created Freaks And Geeks, afterall), this movie did not look that good based on the trailers...

Thu May 12, 2011 12:43 am
Producer

I totally disagree about Wiig being a below average comedic actress. I LOVED her in Paul. She was hilarious in that movie.

I never really thought this looked that great though. It always to me looked just okay. Looks like this is a bad week for movies if this doesn't deliver because I just saw Priest and that was very disappointing and was actually kind of bad. Oh, well. May started off on a high note with Thor but it's starting to go bad. I hope the new Pirates movies is a pleasant surprise. Even though I enjoyed the others, I find myself being somewhat indifferent to it. At least there is The Hangover Part II and Tree of Life to look forward to.

Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

blergh. hopefully i disagree. i'm a big fan of the judd apatow/freaks and geeks-esque stuff and i was hoping like a previous poster said that this was a 'female' version. been waiting a long time for a female fronted GOOD comedy with heart.

Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Wow!!! James must be in a bad mood. It sits at 90% right now on the tomatometer! Most reviews so far have been glowing!

Thu May 12, 2011 1:10 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Wow!!! James must be in a bad mood. It sits at 90% right now on the tomatometer! Most reviews so far have been glowing!

I think he mostly disliked it because Wiig was in it, if it was some other actress in the lead role, I doubt he'd be as negative about the film, personally I think Wiig is hilarious, and I would ecommend that everyone ignore this review and mame up the're own minds about the film. After all, 90% is MUCH too high of a number to disregad simply because JB wasn't into it.

Thu May 12, 2011 2:17 pm
I don't think I've seen anything with Wiig starring, but I was initially interested in Bridesmaids due to an 8/10 at joblo.com; after seeing the trailer though I was skeptical about it and reading this review I doubt I'll be seeing it anytime.
James mentions it differs from the trailer though, so I'd wanna know if that's a good or bad thing, because I thought the trailer was absolute dross.

Thu May 12, 2011 3:43 pm
Kristin Wiig is a lot more tolerable with the sound off....thanks Extract for showing me how hot she is.

Thu May 12, 2011 4:40 pm
Director

Patrick wrote:
Kristin Wiig is a lot more tolerable with the sound off....thanks Extract for showing me how hot she is.

Agreed. The comparisons of her to Carol Burnett are baffling. Not only have I never found her that funny, but she also seems rather icy as well. :?

Thu May 12, 2011 5:51 pm
Here's a review that's polar opopsite JB's(and which makes me seriously consider seeing this film)

http://themovieboy.com/reviews/b/11_bridesmaids.htm

Thu May 12, 2011 11:36 pm
That’s nice, I guess.

The only film I’ve seen Wiig take a major role in is MacGruber, which I really, really didn’t like. But at the same time, I did feel like Wiig could have been funnier if she had better material to work with. From what I’ve seen, I’m not quite sure this film has it.

Still, my girlfriend wants to see it, so I may well end up going to it.

Fri May 13, 2011 12:34 am
Vexer wrote:
Here's a review that's polar opopsite JB's(and which makes me seriously consider seeing this film)

http://themovieboy.com/reviews/b/11_bridesmaids.htm

You should make up your own mind and not let critics decide what you see for you.

As for Kristen Wiig, I've seen her in about 5-6 movies and not only do I not find her funny, I find her plain annoying. Despite the good reviews, this movie looks terrible. I will not be seeing it.

Fri May 13, 2011 11:34 am
I've not seen much Saturday Night Live, what with having more than an ounce of good taste, but isn't Wiig the one who feels that humour can be found in being loud, irritating and 'random'?

Also do the writers of the movie not realise that 'newlyweds' cannot be bridesmaids? Traditionally speaking...

Fri May 13, 2011 1:50 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
I've not seen much Saturday Night Live, what with having more than an ounce of good taste, but isn't Wiig the one who feels that humour can be found in being loud, irritating and 'random'?

Also do the writers of the movie not realise that 'newlyweds' cannot be bridesmaids? Traditionally speaking...

I'd say, loud, irritaitng and random describes Jonah Hill moreso then it does Wiig.

Fri May 13, 2011 1:55 pm
Site Admin

Vexer wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

I'd say, loud, irritaitng and random describes Jonah Hill moreso then it does Wiig.

It describes Wiig as well, at least in her comedic roles. She is much more subdued when she participates in more dramatic projects (ADVENTURELAND, ALL GOOD THINGS), she's more subdued. As for BRIDESMAIDS, if you can't stand Wiig, the movie will be unbearable.

Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Vexer wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

I'd agree with that. He seemed okay in 'Superbad' but I remember thinking at the time that if I'd spoken to my friends the way he does, I'd have gotten a punch in the jaw...

The woman I'm thinking about was in the SNL cast when they did a parody of 'The Sopranos'... would this be the one?

Fri May 13, 2011 4:02 pm