Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film 

Kubrick's Best of the Rest
1999 Eyes Wide Shut 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
1987 Full Metal Jacket 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
1980 The Shining 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
1975 Barry Lyndon 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
1962 Lolita 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
1960 Spartacus 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1957 Paths of Glory 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
1956 The Killing 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
1955 Killer's Kiss 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film 
Author Message
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
firefly wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
What surprises me is that we only have 7 votes on the topic of Kubrick.
Either nobody reading, or nobody watching much Kubrick
Sad in both instances
Rob

I really don't like Kubrick. But I liked The Killing.



Hi Firefly

i'm curious to know which of his films you have seen and don't like. Unless you knew him personally and just did not get on :lol:

Rob


Mon May 09, 2011 5:48 am
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
I voted Paths of Glory, but I think a couple others are really close. As a matter of fact, I think Paths of Glory is better than his much loved Dr. Strangelove.

Re: lack of votes. I doubt it changes too much, but people tend to glance at the topics. Since two old Oscar topic are stickied they might not even have noticed this one languishing below it.

That and I'm on record about this forum becoming too fragmented. I know everyone disagrees, but I continue to think this place would be better off if we merged the Poll section and Lists into General Discussion. I only visit these subsections on the odd occasion. I can't imagine that I'm the only one.


Mon May 09, 2011 1:11 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
ed_metal_head wrote:
I voted Paths of Glory, but I think a couple others are really close. As a matter of fact, I think Paths of Glory is better than his much loved Dr. Strangelove.

Re: lack of votes. I doubt it changes too much, but people tend to glance at the topics. Since two old Oscar topic are stickied they might not even have noticed this one languishing below it.

That and I'm on record about this forum becoming too fragmented. I know everyone disagrees, but I continue to think this place would be better off if we merged the Poll section and Lists into General Discussion. I only visit these subsections on the odd occasion. I can't imagine that I'm the only one.


I didn't even know anyone uses the different sections. Isn't it more convenient to just click "View New Posts?" at the top?

But yeah, Paths of Glory is pretty awesome. I'll take Dr. Strangelove though, since there's never been a movie like it, and there's been a similar (and better movie) to Paths of Glory which is Breaker Morant.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon May 09, 2011 4:16 pm
Profile
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I voted Paths of Glory, but I think a couple others are really close. As a matter of fact, I think Paths of Glory is better than his much loved Dr. Strangelove.

Re: lack of votes. I doubt it changes too much, but people tend to glance at the topics. Since two old Oscar topic are stickied they might not even have noticed this one languishing below it.

That and I'm on record about this forum becoming too fragmented. I know everyone disagrees, but I continue to think this place would be better off if we merged the Poll section and Lists into General Discussion. I only visit these subsections on the odd occasion. I can't imagine that I'm the only one.


I didn't even know anyone uses the different sections. Isn't it more convenient to just click "View New Posts?" at the top?

But yeah, Paths of Glory is pretty awesome. I'll take Dr. Strangelove though, since there's never been a movie like it, and there's been a similar (and better movie) to Paths of Glory which is Breaker Morant.


Agree, I always click on new posts, never go into the sections
Rob


Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
JamesKunz wrote:
Isn't it more convenient to just click "View New Posts?" at the top?


I just now realized that was there. :roll:


Mon May 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Isn't it more convenient to just click "View New Posts?" at the top?


I just now realized that was there. :roll:


When you work on UI you are always learning how people don't see stuff

Smarter layout would have new posts and your posts on the left straight after view active topics
Even smarter would be to scrap unanswered and active completely

Rob


Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 634
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
I'm a huge fan of Full Metal Jacket, but not of Kubrick's work in general. I appreciate the artistry of his work, but don't really get much enjoyment or engagement from even the ones that are considered greater.


Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm
Profile
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
CasualDad wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Full Metal Jacket, but not of Kubrick's work in general. I appreciate the artistry of his work, but don't really get much enjoyment or engagement from even the ones that are considered greater.


Hi CasualDad

I totally understand you and have heard many people say the same. Kubrick has a cold dispassionate view of his subjects and his films rarely center around warm human emotions.

It's strange that even Clockwork Orange (which I love) has no time to spare for the victims of Alex and his droogs.

Nobody would ever accuse Stanley of a conventional Hollywood approach.

Rob


Tue May 10, 2011 4:39 am
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I voted Paths of Glory, but I think a couple others are really close. As a matter of fact, I think Paths of Glory is better than his much loved Dr. Strangelove.

Re: lack of votes. I doubt it changes too much, but people tend to glance at the topics. Since two old Oscar topic are stickied they might not even have noticed this one languishing below it.

That and I'm on record about this forum becoming too fragmented. I know everyone disagrees, but I continue to think this place would be better off if we merged the Poll section and Lists into General Discussion. I only visit these subsections on the odd occasion. I can't imagine that I'm the only one.


I didn't even know anyone uses the different sections. Isn't it more convenient to just click "View New Posts?" at the top?

But yeah, Paths of Glory is pretty awesome. I'll take Dr. Strangelove though, since there's never been a movie like it, and there's been a similar (and better movie) to Paths of Glory which is Breaker Morant.


I've done the "New Posts" thing, but I suppose I'm a luddite at heart. I just enjoy loading individual subforums and looking at the topics.

You've thrown out a kind word for Breaker Morant before (and I fully intend to see it sometime), but I think your comparison is a little unfair. Breaker Morant came out more than two decades after Paths of Glory.


Tue May 10, 2011 2:36 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I voted Paths of Glory, but I think a couple others are really close. As a matter of fact, I think Paths of Glory is better than his much loved Dr. Strangelove.

Re: lack of votes. I doubt it changes too much, but people tend to glance at the topics. Since two old Oscar topic are stickied they might not even have noticed this one languishing below it.

That and I'm on record about this forum becoming too fragmented. I know everyone disagrees, but I continue to think this place would be better off if we merged the Poll section and Lists into General Discussion. I only visit these subsections on the odd occasion. I can't imagine that I'm the only one.


I didn't even know anyone uses the different sections. Isn't it more convenient to just click "View New Posts?" at the top?

But yeah, Paths of Glory is pretty awesome. I'll take Dr. Strangelove though, since there's never been a movie like it, and there's been a similar (and better movie) to Paths of Glory which is Breaker Morant.


I've done the "New Posts" thing, but I suppose I'm a luddite at heart. I just enjoy loading individual subforums and looking at the topics.

You've thrown out a kind word for Breaker Morant before (and I fully intend to see it sometime), but I think your comparison is a little unfair. Breaker Morant came out more than two decades after Paths of Glory.


Indeed, but I even saw Paths of Glory first. And then i saw Breaker Morant. And I was like "Wow: same shit, done better." Though admittedly it has nothing to rival Paths of Glory's trench scene

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 10, 2011 4:23 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 8:39 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Since when was "Paths to Glory" considered a lesser Kubrick work?


Tue May 10, 2011 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Human Rain wrote:
Since when was "Paths to Glory" considered a lesser Kubrick work?


Since ever. 2001, Dr. Strangelove, and A Clockwork Orange get all the glory. Both contemporary, with Oscar nominations, and now, with "best of" lists. Look at the AFI list. The three I excluded are on there, but Paths of Glory isn't. Tthough Ebert did write a Great Movies review of it, it's rather underappreciated in mainstream circles. Though I like it more than 2001 and A Clockwork Orange.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 8:39 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Extraordinary. I consider it easily the best of his earlier works, and I was always under the impression that it was considered one of the best war movies ever made. And Full Metal Jacket a lesser film? I suppose that with a few exceptions, I don't really consider any of Kubrick's films to be "lesser'' films.


Tue May 10, 2011 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Human Rain wrote:
Extraordinary. I consider it easily the best of his earlier works, and I was always under the impression that it was considered one of the best war movies ever made. And Full Metal Jacket a lesser film? I suppose that with a few exceptions, I don't really consider any of Kubrick's films to be "lesser'' films.


Well I actively dislike Full Metal Jacket, but I see what you mean

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 10, 2011 9:06 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1484
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Robert Holloway wrote:
firefly wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
What surprises me is that we only have 7 votes on the topic of Kubrick.
Either nobody reading, or nobody watching much Kubrick
Sad in both instances
Rob

I really don't like Kubrick. But I liked The Killing.



Hi Firefly

i'm curious to know which of his films you have seen and don't like. Unless you knew him personally and just did not get on :lol:

Rob


I hated 2001. As in really hated, wanted my 2+ hours back. I find most of his other movies to be overrated--not necessarily bad, but overhyped, and Kubrick to be generally a cold, impersonal sort who attempted to substitute technological knowhow for an ability to actually project emotional sophistication.

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Tue May 10, 2011 9:33 pm
Profile
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
firefly wrote:
I hated 2001. As in really hated, wanted my 2+ hours back. I find most of his other movies to be overrated--not necessarily bad, but overhyped, and Kubrick to be generally a cold, impersonal sort who attempted to substitute technological knowhow for an ability to actually project emotional sophistication.


But who needs often times superfluous emotional "sophistication" when you're making masterpiece after masterpiece (and Full Metal Jacket)?


Thu May 12, 2011 10:47 pm
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
it simply amazes me that with about 20,000 "people" signed up to this forum, nine days has generated 13 votes :-(
Rob


Fri May 13, 2011 4:42 am
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Robert Holloway wrote:
it simply amazes me that with about 20,000 "people" signed up to this forum, nine days has generated 13 votes :-(
Rob


and how many people are banned but not deleted Rob?


Fri May 13, 2011 6:10 am
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
it simply amazes me that with about 20,000 "people" signed up to this forum, nine days has generated 13 votes :-(
Rob


and how many people are banned but not deleted Rob?



Less than 5% for sure, therefore irrelevant to the larger point :(
James just got back to me on mass removal of spam and said it's only possible if you're an admin - him
As it took over 36 hours to get back, it does not seem that notifying him is a viable option to clear out the new posts sectio when the spammers strike
Rob


Fri May 13, 2011 7:58 am
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick's Best "Lesser" Film
Robert Holloway wrote:
it simply amazes me that with about 20,000 "people" signed up to this forum, nine days has generated 13 votes :-(
Rob


I've already made the point, but having this as the 3rd topic in the Polling Section cannot help. Clearly there are people who don't use the new posts feature and, as such, the lack of prominence given to this topic may have cost it some votes.


Fri May 13, 2011 2:21 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr