Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:04 pm

Top 5 movie trilogies 
Post Re: Top 5 movie trilogies
We have a new challenger

From Pixar

The Toy Story Trilogy

No less than Mark Kermode has repeatedly stated it is the best trilogy of all time

Rob

Tue May 10, 2011 11:39 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy is the greatest trilogy of all time.

I would also argue for franchises that might have had later installments, but the first three are sort of a whole. Romero's Dead trilogy, the original Karloff Frankenstein trilogy, Bergman's Silence of God trilogy (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence), Herzog's Kinski/Jungle trilogy (Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde), Fulci's Gateway to Hell trilogy (City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, House by the Cemetery), the Alien trilogy, the Godfather trilogy, Indiana Jones....sorry, that's more than five.

Tue May 10, 2011 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Human Rain wrote:

I would also argue for franchises that might have had later installments, but the first three are sort of a whole. Romero's Dead trilogy, the original Karloff Frankenstein trilogy, Bergman's Silence of God trilogy (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence), Herzog's Kinski/Jungle trilogy (Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde), Fulci's Gateway to Hell trilogy (City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, House by the Cemetery), the Alien trilogy, the Godfather trilogy, Indiana Jones....sorry, that's more than five.

I have not seen the Bergman trilogy. had forgotten Karloff, Fulci's trilogy does not stand up with these others IMHO, the Alien and Godfather trilogies are each let down by part 3.
But hard to argue against Kieslowski
Rob

Tue May 10, 2011 3:41 pm
Human Rain wrote:

Curious list. I think of a trilogy as a continued series. Also, Alien and Indiana Jones are no longer trilogies.

Toy Story and Back to the Future top my trilogy list.

Tue May 10, 2011 3:55 pm

"Trilogy" is a tricky word for me, because it would mean an ongoing serial (Star Wars), sequels (Max Max), or a trilogy of themes by a specific director (such as the color trilogy).

The Alien series as a trilogy of course is unofficial, but I do see a progression in story in the first three whereas the fourth film was really a re-start. I think the extended cut of Alien 3 is a remarkable meditation of Conrad-esque horror and the fate of the human race. Romero's Dead films and the Indiana Jones films were trilogies for so long that it's difficult to incorporate number four without keeping it at a certain distance.

I will defend Godfather 3 as the logical progression of the Shakespearian themes established in the first two. Part 1 was Hamlet (son becomes the father), Part 2 is MacBeth (paranoid eradication of enemies), and Part 3 is King Lear (tired old king who a victim to his past sins). It's not as strong as the other two, but then - neither are most movies. And I admire Fulci's lurid lunacy; I've since accepted him into the canon of important directors after reading this article. As for the Karloff trilogy...well, it's unofficial, but there's nothing quite like a viewing of those three films on Halloween night.

Tue May 10, 2011 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
If Indiana Jones is no longer a trilogy, then neither is Star Wars.

I think The Godfather III's major offense is not being as good as the first two. It is still much more worthwhile than most movies.

Kermode may be onto something. The Toy Story movies are consistently excellent, though I wasn't quite as wild about the second installment as I was about the first and third.

Tue May 10, 2011 4:21 pm

See, I was one of seven people on the planet who wasn't all that wild about the third film. I thought it had a remarkable amount of slapstick, but until the last five minutes or so it didn't have much heart. I feel like I missed something.

Tue May 10, 2011 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Ken wrote:
If Indiana Jones is no longer a trilogy, then neither is Star Wars.

I think The Godfather III's major offense is not being as good as the first two. It is still much more worthwhile than most movies.

Kermode may be onto something. The Toy Story movies are consistently excellent, though I wasn't quite as wild about the second installment as I was about the first and third.

Wow I rate them 2, 1 and finally 3. But all excellent
Rob

Tue May 10, 2011 4:38 pm
The third is my favorite. I think it has a special resonance for people who saw the first one as children, which I did.

Tue May 10, 2011 5:02 pm
What about the Rush Hour trilogy? ;) :mrgreen:

Tue May 10, 2011 6:00 pm
Vexer wrote:

Now yer talkin'

Actually I have another question

Which trilogy most surprised you? Let me be more specific.
the first film was awful and still they made a tilogy.
Rob

Tue May 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Robert Holloway wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Now yer talkin'

Rob

Does Friday the 13th count?

If not, I vote for the Ace Ventura trilogy, the Santa Clause trilogy, and the Mummy trilogy.

Tue May 10, 2011 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Human Rain wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Now yer talkin'

Rob

Does Friday the 13th count?

If not, I vote for the Ace Ventura trilogy, the Santa Clause trilogy, and the Mummy trilogy.

Ace Ventura had a trilogy?
I really liked the first one, hated the second, did not know about the 3rd

Sheesh I've opened up a horrendous can of worms here - The santa Claus Trilogy?

Rob

Tue May 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Robert Holloway wrote:

Afraid so.

Tue May 10, 2011 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Human Rain wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Afraid so.

And AJ Hakari has seen this twice :lol:
Rob

Tue May 10, 2011 6:54 pm
Then of course there's Big Mommas House and Lake Placid.

Tue May 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Found this write-up too, on the Troll trilogy. I've seen Troll 2, ages ago at a Halloween party where there was A LOT of alcohol. I remember the infamous "Oh my GOOOOOOOOOD!!" sequence, which gave us all a hearty laugh...though despite the title, it never occurred to me that there might be a Troll 1 and 3 just as bad. One of these days maybe I'll get to them.

And speaking of weird trilogies, how about the ZOMBI trilogy....featuring Zombi 2, Zombi 3, and....wait, there was technically no Zombi 1? *head explodes*

(p.s. I know Dawn of the Dead was released in Italy as Zombi, but let’s be clear… no relation

Tue May 10, 2011 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Technically there is no 3rd Troll film, that's only an alternative title overseas I believe, the so-called "third" film has absolutely nothing to do with the series, it's real title is "Crawlers" and it revolves around killer vines(i'm not joking! :lol: )

Tue May 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Vexer wrote:
Technically there is no 3rd Troll film, that's only an alternative title overseas I believe, the so-called "third" film has absolutely nothing to do with the series, it's real title is "Crawlers" and it revolves around killer vines(i'm not joking! :lol: )

The hilarious thing about that article was that it revealed that technically, there's no 2nd Troll film either -- it was released in the states as Troll 2, but the original title was Goblin and it had no relation to the first. Which explains why there are no trolls in Troll 2 -- only bologna-dodging, rubber-masked goblins.

So, from what I have gathered, the first film had a troll that grew its minions from demonic plants. The second film had vegetarian goblins who turned humans into plants in order to eat them (wouldn't it have just been easier to just eat *gasp* vegetables?). The third film does away with the middle man and just has evil plants. Non of them are related, except the evil plant plotline. Yet they have been released as related in various countries. Mind-boggling.

Tue May 10, 2011 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Director

This has gotten tricky over the several years, since many of the best trilogies are now tetralogies. Still, here goes:

1. The Lord of the Rings
2. Star Wars - The Original Trilogy (I think these we can get away with having separate)
3. The Godfather
4. Toy Story
5. Back to the Future
6. Mad Max
7. Star Wars - The Prequel Trilogy
8. The Musketeers ("The Three Musketeers"/"The Four Musketeers"/"The Return of the Musketeers")
9. Jason Bourne
10. **reserved for Batman 2.0** (though it will likely be a lot higher on the list) :ugeek: ... in the meantime, The Matrix will be its placeholder

*I'm not counting conceptual trilogies like the 'Colors' trilogy, Bergman's 'Silence of God' trilogy, 'The Man with No Name' trilogy (a mere marketing ploy devised by United Artists to market the movies here in the States), etc. :|

Tue May 10, 2011 9:08 pm