Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Post Re: Game of Thrones
MunichMan wrote:
I've looked at some tried and true sites where I get most of my content (ahem, Pirate Bay anyone?) but to no avail.

Try and search for TV Underground. TNT Serie obtained the rights for to air GoT in Germany, but so far they didn't announce an airdate.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:24 am
Thanks for the tip! I may be able to get it from TV Underground...

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:46 am
Wooohoooo! I have the first episode, in HD no less.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:39 am
MunichMan wrote:
Wooohoooo! I have the first episode, in HD no less.

Good stuff! Next episode tonight!

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:56 pm
This show is actually better than I thought it would be. Already confirmed for Season 2!!! I am jealous of all the casual viewers out there that get to see all of this seasons surprises and plot twists without knowing what comes next. So glad HBO has finally made my fav. book series come to life.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:45 am
Guys, I'm very interested in both the books and the series but have a concern. I know the author hasn't finished the series and there's a good chance that he never will. How satisfying are the conclusions to the individual novels? I'm a total completest and could never start something knowing that there's no concrete end point. Apologies if this has been asked before. Was too lazy to read the whole thread.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Guys, I'm very interested in both the books and the series but have a concern. I know the author hasn't finished the series and there's a good chance that he never will. How satisfying are the conclusions to the individual novels? I'm a total completest and could never start something knowing that there's no concrete end point. Apologies if this has been asked before. Was too lazy to read the whole thread.

As the novels are part of a series, each of them so far has ended in a manner that leads into the following book of the series. However, storylines do make progress, and things are generally not too slow in terms of events happening. One thing about Martin as a writer is that he has never been afraid to kill off characters that he's spent time building up, in part because he wants to convey that the world portrayed is unstable and dangerous.

In total, Martin was planning to make the series no more than 7 books in total. However, this may go up to 8 total as the upcoming book (A Dance With Dragons) is in fact the 2nd half of the last book to be released (A Feast For Crows). Each book generally has numerous events taking place in them, so the overall story doesn't meander, unlike that of a certain other fantasy series I can name (Wheel of Time). They are good books, and I encourage you to read them.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:26 pm
I can 2nd Rangarok. Despite the yet to be completed conclusion, the books are a fantastic read. Just think, after reading the books to date, as well as the soon to be released Dance with Dragons, you will have an excuse to re-read them all again when the final book comes out.

I put The Song of Ice and Fire right up there with The Wire and Sandman as must-have artistic experiences...

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:06 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

You have got to read this series, you're punishing yourself by not reading them right now. The more time that passes without you reading them the more time you are living an unfulfilled life.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) :D

Kidding aside, yes it hasn't been "completed", but the books are good enough without the conclusion that I highly recommend them to anyone who will listen.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:48 pm
Well...for what it's worth, I would recommend holding off reading the series until the final book is released or Martin croaks. Each book does end at a "breaking point" in the story, but it is evident that the story continues. With such a long wait between books, and the fact that the story pretty much picks right up again where the previous book left off, if you have to wait a few years for the next installment, you can spend quite a bit of time playing catch up, unless you re-read the previous books or opt for a condensed synopsis online.

I started reading the series on Ragnarok's suggestions and after hearing of the HBO TV project. I posted that I'd started the series in the "What are you reading now?" thread and, at that time, this was what MunichMan had to say:

MunichMan wrote:
Noooooo!!! Don't start now! You'll make the same mistake I made. I had heard so much about the series, and just finished Martin's excellent Fevre Dream so I decided to read this. Unbeknownst to me, the damn series is not yet finished. I finished the first four and went to the library to get the final book. Alas, it does not yet exist!! Damn, I'M pissed off. Now I just have to time it right to restart the series so that I can get the final installment once it comes out.

Up until now, one of the best things I've read. Just great, which makes it even more frustrating not to be able to continue.

2 points:
1) I kinda agree with his sentiments of the time. You will be frustrated in that the series is not complete and you may have to wait....and wait....and wait for the next book. Waiting till they're all done before starting book 1 means getting the complete story. (I waited for the last Harry Potter book to come out before I read all the others.) I read the first 4 books of this series back-to-back and even then had trouble keeping track of some of the secondary characters who were introduced briefly in one chapter and then made a significant appearance half a book later. There are a lot of characters running around in this series.
2) On the other hand if you wait for all 7 or 8 books to be released (or whatever the final tally comes in at), I read the first 4 back-to-back and I did sort of get fatigued towards the end of the 3rd book and into the 4th. It may be good to take a short break between books...but I would not recommend the 5+ year wait that may come in waiting for subsequent novels if you started now.

Just my 2 cents.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 am
johnny larue wrote:
Well...for what it's worth, I would recommend holding off reading the series until the final book is released or Martin croaks. Each book does end at a "breaking point" in the story, but it is evident that the story continues. With such a long wait between books, and the fact that the story pretty much picks right up again where the previous book left off, if you have to wait a few years for the next installment, you can spend quite a bit of time playing catch up, unless you re-read the previous books or opt for a condensed synopsis online.

I started reading the series on Ragnarok's suggestions and after hearing of the HBO TV project. I posted that I'd started the series in the "What are you reading now?" thread and, at that time, this was what MunichMan had to say:

MunichMan wrote:
Noooooo!!! Don't start now! You'll make the same mistake I made. I had heard so much about the series, and just finished Martin's excellent Fevre Dream so I decided to read this. Unbeknownst to me, the damn series is not yet finished. I finished the first four and went to the library to get the final book. Alas, it does not yet exist!! Damn, I'M pissed off. Now I just have to time it right to restart the series so that I can get the final installment once it comes out.

Up until now, one of the best things I've read. Just great, which makes it even more frustrating not to be able to continue.

2 points:
1) I kinda agree with his sentiments of the time. You will be frustrated in that the series is not complete and you may have to wait....and wait....and wait for the next book. Waiting till they're all done before starting book 1 means getting the complete story. (I waited for the last Harry Potter book to come out before I read all the others.) I read the first 4 books of this series back-to-back and even then had trouble keeping track of some of the secondary characters who were introduced briefly in one chapter and then made a significant appearance half a book later. There are a lot of characters running around in this series.
2) On the other hand if you wait for all 7 or 8 books to be released (or whatever the final tally comes in at), I read the first 4 back-to-back and I did sort of get fatigued towards the end of the 3rd book and into the 4th. It may be good to take a short break between books...but I would not recommend the 5+ year wait that may come in waiting for subsequent novels if you started now.

Just my 2 cents.

My sincere thanks to all you kind souls for responding. I've yet to make a decision but you've furnished me with a lot more to think about.

I have to admit that I got some good laughs from the above posts. I knew I was conflicted but it seems that the MunichMan is conflicted too! :lol: I kind of get what happened though. There was the initial disappointment of having to wait, but in the long run he's happier for having started the series at all. Right?

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:13 pm
Yep, a conflicting swirl of ecstasy and frustration. Absolutely a fantastic read, and then... Grrrrrr!

But, in the end, I'm glad I read it, because if I hadn't, I would have missed out.

But it IS frustrating... lol

Anyway, what about the HBO series? Thoughts anyone?

I have found the first two excellent. Very heavy on exposition, but that is required, especially for those not familiar with the books. I found they struck a nice balance. I have to say, the casting has been excellent. Peter Dinklage simply IS Tyrion Lannister, and Bean is excellent as Ned Stark. The standout for me so far is Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. She steals the show and has the character down perfectly.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 am
First of all: as of today, book 5 (A Dance with Dragons) is DONE! See both GRRMs blog and the blog of his publisher for confirmation. Only two more to go...

Regarding the TV series: the first two episodes were great, with the first a little to heavy on exposition (for me as a reader - but still confusing to some of the none-readers). Number two felt more natural and had a pleasant flow, giving key scenes the time they needed to breath while cutting some minor stuff and also adding some new scenes. The new scenes work pretty well, and let the viewers know a lot about the characters that would otherwise be lost (because of the POV-style of the novels and their inner dialogue).

The direwolfs are a little underused in my opinion - they had their key moments, but were invisible for most of the time. Would have been nice to see people, horses and dogs react to them in more routine situations, since they ARE quite unusual and wild beasts.

Other than that, so far I'm perfectly happy: the cast, acting, settings, props... rock, and it has all the blood, sex and bad language needed to bring the books to life.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:48 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
My sincere thanks to all you kind souls for responding. I've yet to make a decision but you've furnished me with a lot more to think about.

I have to admit that I got some good laughs from the above posts. I knew I was conflicted but it seems that the MunichMan is conflicted too! :lol: I kind of get what happened though. There was the initial disappointment of having to wait, but in the long run he's happier for having started the series at all. Right?

Right, so go and get the books, then read them. Do it. Doooo EEEEETTTT NNNNOOOOOWWWWWW!!! :twisted:

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 pm
Gaffer

On a 1500 mile road trip this past weekend, I chewed my way through a good chunk of the audiobook of Game of Thrones. Quite good. I'm also watching the series as they are aired. It is interesting seeing the images I had to relate to words so fresh in my head. I'm enjoying both, but finding the book a lot meater, which is to be expected.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 pm
Can't wait, new ep. tonight!

Sun May 01, 2011 9:29 pm
Peterson wrote:
Can't wait, new ep. tonight!

Some notes after watching the 3rd episode:

- I'm starting to worry that the producers and Martin have condensed the story of the first book a bit too much. I know that time constraints have forced them to this decision, but it's taking away from the development of characters IMO.
- Maisie Williams as Arya continues to impress me with her performances. I also liked the actor that they chose to play Yoren (Francis Magee). I'm going to be sad to see him die.
- I'm not sure that it was a good idea to make Joffrey look like he has a brain in his head, as his little talk on forming an army seemed to indicate. One of the reasons Joffrey was so unlikeable in the books is because he's ignorant as well as capricious and arrogant.
- So far, I like how they're handling the storyline with Bran upon his awakening, though I thought they'd bring Hodor into that episode.

I look forward to the 4th episode with anticipation.

Wed May 04, 2011 5:31 pm
I agree that it's definitely rushed, esp with SO MANY damn characters to introduce, but I think they are doing the best job anyone could considering how deep this story is and then having to consolidate it into 10 hours.

Arya is awesome, as is Jon Snow, and man I love Tyrion. Dinklage better get some awards.

I can't wait til episode 4.

Thu May 05, 2011 6:30 pm
Wait...so Renly and Loras are gay now?

Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 am
johnny larue wrote:
Wait...so Renly and Loras are gay now?

I'm guessing that it's been a while since you've read the books. The only difference is that the show is being much less subtle about the nature of their relationship than the books were. In fact, I don't know if the slurping sounds were necessary in that scene, but if they're aiming it at the average non-reader audience...

Wed May 18, 2011 12:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next