Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Least worthy Best Picture Nods: 1990-Present 
Director

Post Re: Least worthy Best Picture Nods: 1990-Present
Resurrecting this 2 years later and adding the ones from the years since.

1990: Ghost most definitely. I like Ghost, it's an enjoyable love story/supernatural thriller. But best picture? I think not. I did have no problem with Whoopi Goldberg winning for her performance truly was that good.

1991: The Prince Of Tides.

1992: Scent Of A Woman. Pacino did go over the top. But his performance was entertaining. The movie itself on the other hand was formulaic treacle.

1993: The Fugitive. Tommy Lee Jones deserved the recognition for his performance. But the movie itself, while fun, was uyour basic action-adventure movie. While I have no problems with giving action/adventure films awards if they deserve them (IE: I would have no problem giving Aliens or T2 best picture nominations) The Fugitive didn't really transcend the genre the way other films have.

1994: Forrest Gump. I actually like Forrest Gump a great deal and had no problem with Gary Sinise getting recogniton for his fantastic performance. My main problem here is that its victory over the edgier Pulp Fiction screamed of Old Hollywood making it clear that there was no room for cinema that many not play well with the popcorn crowd or the bingo player crowd to get that kind of recognition. Of course that would change later on. In its favor I will say that I prefered Gump over Four Weddings And A Funeral (which screamed "token foreign film pick"). Also, The Shawshank Redemption is seriously overlooked.

1995: Apollo 13 while not a bad film by any means doesn't quite reach the level of Best Picture for me.

1996: Although I personally found The English Patient overlong, overpraised and boring, I will say that it does meet the criteria one generally sets for best picture.

1997: Titanic hands down. The doomed love story was old when Shakespeare told it. The disaster film elements were like those from an Irwin Allen movie albeit with better production values. And this one won over LA Confidential while Boogie Nights wasn't even nominated.

1998: Shakespeare In Love. Not a bad love story with some humor. But a relatively minor genre picture. Deserves honorable mention. But that's about it.

1999: The Sixth Sense. Take the damn plot twist out and there's not much left. Should've been nominated instead: Magnolia or Three Kings.

2000: Gladiator. Good historical war epic. But not best picture. Not by a long shot.

2001: A Beautiful Mind. Typical mental illness Oscar fodder.

2002: Chicago. As far as musicals go, I preferred both Moulin Rouge and Dreamgirls.

2003: Seabiscuit. Typical underdog Oscar fodder. Not a bad movie. But not quite best picture material.

2004: While I would be the first to acknowledge that Ray hasn't held up as well as I once thought it would, I have no problem with it being on here. Finding Neverland was kind of an ehh choice despite Johnny Depp's performance.

2005: Crash. Not as bad as some people say it is. But not the best picture of 2005. Do The Right Thing is a far better drama about race relations and Magnolia works better as an example of hyperlink cinema.

2006: The Queen. Like Four Weddings, token foreing film pick (despite Helen Mirren's performance).

2007: Can't really argue with any of the choices on here, although I do agree that Gone Baby Gone should've received a nomination.

2008: Can't really argue against any of the choices here either, although I would replace Frost/Nixon with Doubt.

2009: The Blind Side. Like Seabiscuit, although it's not anywhere near the quality level of Seabiscuit.

2010: The Fighter. Better than average sports/family drama and Bale is good. But would fall more on to an honorable mention list than a best picture one.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:45 am
It's pretty depressing looking at all the previous winners an drealizing that not one of them deserved it, I liked The Fugitive better then anything of the other winners, but i'm surprised as hell that it even got nominated at all. Gladiator was just fucking awful and Russell Crowe's godawful performance dosen't hlep any, fortuantely he's redeemed himself since that catatastrophic film, I couldn't care less about Chicago if I tried, my parents didn't care for it anymore then I did. And Ghost? Really? That film was a MASSIVE borefest if I ever saaw one, I just found it impossible to care one bit about anyone in that film.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:42 pm
Director

2010: The Kids Are Allright, by far.
2009: Pocahontas, I mean Avatar, again by far.
2008: The Reader, Milk, and Frost/Nixon. All flawed productions that had no business getting nominated over superior movies (Doubt, Frozen River, The Wrestler)
2007: Atonement
2006: I didn't have a problem with any of these. Babel might be the weakest of the bunch, but I think this was a solid year.
2005: Crash (simple minded social commentary), Brokeback Mountain (drastically overhyped gay romance), Good Night and Good Luck (PC hagiography), and Munich (not as bad as the prior 3, but not deserving). Yeah, horrible year for the Oscars. Junebug, A History of Violence, Match Point, and the Squid and the Whale were all more deserving.
2004: Finding Neverland
2003: Seabiscuit. The other four were strong films. Seabiscuit wasn't bad, it just wasn't best picture worthy.
2002: Chicago (entertaining but superficial musical), The Hours (dreadful story of dreadful people), and Gangs of New York (flawed epic). The Quiet American, About Schmidt, and Far From Heaven, along with Road to Perdition, were all more deserving.
2001: Moulin Rouge! was a disaster. A Beautiful Mind was standard Hollywood biopic fare but compared to some of the nominees, hardly the worst offender.
2000: Chocolat was nothing special.
1999: The Sixth Sense (once you get past the twist ending...), the Cidar House Rules (ho hum PC movie of the year)
1998: Shakespeare In Love but we all know that.
1997: The Full Monty and As Good as It Gets were entertaining but that's about it.
1996: Jerry Maguire, but no horrible choices.
1995: Apollo 13 but again no really bad choices.
1994: Pulp Fiction. I may stand alone on this one but I think this is a steaming pile of hyperstylized, vacuous trash.
1993: The Fugitive. How a standard action movie got nominated alongside The Piano, I shall never know.
1992: Howards End was dreadfully boring. Scent of a Woman was a showhorse for Al Pacino. The Crying Game was a one-twist movie.
1991: JFK is delusional crap from a deranged lunatic.
1990: The Godfather Part III (legacy scholarships of the Oscars basically) and Ghost.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:29 pm
Brokeback Mountain didn't just deserve a nomination, it deserved to win.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:36 pm
Critic

firefly wrote:

It's a better movie than Serenity ;)

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
firefly wrote:

Blasphemy :!:

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:41 pm
Serenity got nominated? You're kidding me?
As I said, they'll nominate anything
Rob

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:45 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

No they didn't, Kunzie is having fun with our delusional Firefly fanboy.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:57 pm
Director

Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

But they will nominate anything. If Kangaroo Jack had been enough of a blockbuster and got critical raves it would've been nominated.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:03 pm
Critic

Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Well put.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:23 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

...me too, but don't let on :lol:
Rob

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:04 pm
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

...me too, but don't let on :lol:
Rob

too late :twisted: :?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
firefly wrote:

I like both movies, but will support the delusional guy in this debate. By what metric is Avatar a better film? I find it both less enjoyable and less well-made than Serenity.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
firefly wrote:

I like both movies, but will support the delusional guy in this debate. By what metric is Avatar a better film? I find it both less enjoyable and less well-made than Serenity.

exactly. Serenity is far more original, better acted, and yes, deeper. Avatar makes a better video game.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:21 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
firefly wrote:

Yeah, i'm not as big of a Serenity fan as firefly, but I still think it's a better film then Avatar in every way, Avatar is pretty much all smoke and mirrors, take away all the razzle dazzle FX and there's really not much left in the film, Serenity at least felt original.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:24 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Yeah, i'm not as big of a Serenity fan as firefly

It's ok, few men (or women) are ;)

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:42 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
firefly wrote:

Because Avatar filled me with wonder and Serenity felt like the meh continuation of a television series. And don't start with the whole "Durrr Avatar isn't original" boilerplate--Serenity feels cobbled together from spare parts

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:29 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Because Avatar filled me with wonder and Serenity felt like the meh continuation of a television series. And don't start with the whole "Durrr Avatar isn't original" boilerplate--Serenity feels cobbled together from spare parts

Avatar filled me with wonder too. I wondered how such a pathetic, cliche ridden story could get greenlighted. Cardboard characterizations, heavy-handed messaging, etc.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:48 pm
Critic

firefly wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Avatar filled me with wonder too. I wondered how such a pathetic, cliche ridden story could get greenlighted. Cardboard characterizations, heavy-handed messaging, etc.

In opposed to the quirky band of rebels fighting the evil empire? That's never been done before :)

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

In opposed to the quirky band of rebels fighting the evil empire? That's never been done before :)

You are fooling yourself, Captain. Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next