Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
Game of Thrones 
Post Re: Game of Thrones
I believe the "last book" he is writing now is actually 2 books, he just doesn't know how he wants/needs to structure them best to split. I may be wrong...

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 am
MunichMan wrote:
I believe the "last book" he is writing now is actually 2 books, he just doesn't know how he wants/needs to structure them best to split. I may be wrong...

Right...but book 4 was supposed to be the first part of a book that was split into 2 due to size and spacing and book 5 was supposed to come rapidly on its heels (at least according to the afterword of book 4); and that was something like 5 years ago? IThough book 5 is due this year, I don't know why you'd expect book 6 to come any closer together.

The only muddling factor may be the TV miniseries. It could delay book 6 due to creative drain. On the other hand, they may be delaying book 5 to try and capitalize on the successful HBO series (assuming it's successful) and then move on book 6 early next year to keep the wave going. Who, outside of Martin, knows? The Harry Potter series can certainly be instructive; the end of the book series mid-way through the movie releases had a perceived impact on the final movies' reception (i.e. the story was already finished so there wasn't as much pent up demand for the movies.)

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 am
johnny larue wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

Right...but book 4 was supposed to be the first part of a book that was split into 2 due to size and spacing and book 5 was supposed to come rapidly on its heels (at least according to the afterword of book 4); and that was something like 5 years ago? IThough book 5 is due this year, I don't know why you'd expect book 6 to come any closer together.

The only muddling factor may be the TV miniseries. It could delay book 6 due to creative drain. On the other hand, they may be delaying book 5 to try and capitalize on the successful HBO series (assuming it's successful) and then move on book 6 early next year to keep the wave going. Who, outside of Martin, knows? The Harry Potter series can certainly be instructive; the end of the book series mid-way through the movie releases had a perceived impact on the final movies' reception (i.e. the story was already finished so there wasn't as much pent up demand for the movies.)

FINALLY...we've got a firm release date for A Dance With Dragons, right from the mouth of Martin himself: July 11, 2011. Mark your calendars, people.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:15 am
An update on the upcoming series: HBO has just released a sneak peak which consists of the first 14 minutes of the first episode. It follows the action from the prologue and first chapter of the first book.

Here it is on YouTube.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:04 pm
Now I'm really excited. This looks very, very good.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:32 pm
Damn. Better than I'd hoped.

HBO, here I come.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:45 pm
I watched the first episode tonight twice thanks to the wonders of PVR technology, and I have to say....GOOD START! I knew that they changed some details in adapting the books to the small screen, but they were well-done.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
For example, having Bran watching from the top of the gate as King Robert and his retinue got closer to Winterfell was a great way to both move the plot forward and to show Bran's propensity for climbing that of course becomes relevant at the end of the episode. Another change that I liked was having Arya being able to use a bow, something that she didn't know how to do in the books.

I also think that changing the ages of the children to make them older by at least 2 years was a good idea. In fact, it was something that Martin himself regretted not doing in the books: making the children, especially Arya, older, given what happens to them throughout the course of the novels. Martin thus must have remedied this when serving as executive producer of the series. All in all, it was a great start to the series, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

One final note: I thought that the opening theme to the show was very well-done, as it showed places like King's Landing and Winterfell as spots on a game board with the gears representing the machinations that will take place through the course of the story.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:25 am
Yes...it was a pretty strong start. Having read the books, I was wondering how the casual viewer would respond to so many characters being thrown at them at once. For instance, differentiating Robb from Jon Snow from Theon. I suppose these differences will be fleshed out in the future. Even secondary characters like The Hound appeared without comment. Will be interesting how these secondary characters will get their focus in future episodes.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:39 am
I know nothing about Game Of Thrones, except that the opening episode for the HBO series was highly enjoyable. I've consciously tried to avoid spoilers, so I'll have a different perspective on the series as it continues. And judging on the strength of the first episode, it's definitely a must-watch.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:54 pm
johnny larue wrote:
Yes...it was a pretty strong start. Having read the books, I was wondering how the casual viewer would respond to so many characters being thrown at them at once. For instance, differentiating Robb from Jon Snow from Theon. I suppose these differences will be fleshed out in the future. Even secondary characters like The Hound appeared without comment. Will be interesting how these secondary characters will get their focus in future episodes.

Alfie Allen did a great job of portraying Theon as a guy I'd like to give several backhands across the face to, and he only had 4 lines of dialogue in the episode. Ditto with Sophie Turner as Sansa, except that she's also coming across as more petulant than she did in the book. It may be to set up the viewer for the events that will teach Sansa a thing or two about the world.

Maisie Williams was excellent as Arya, already conveying the sense of independent mischievousness that she had in the books. The little moment when Arya was dragged away from the welcoming feast by Robb was great, though it didn't happen in the book. The cast overall has been great, and of course there are more characters and cast members to be introduced down the road. I'm looking forward to next Sunday!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:09 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
I know nothing about Game Of Thrones, except that the opening episode for the HBO series was highly enjoyable. I've consciously tried to avoid spoilers, so I'll have a different perspective on the series as it continues. And judging on the strength of the first episode, it's definitely a must-watch.

I would recommend that you read the series, though perhaps you could read it one book at a time after each season. I am assuming that there will be at least another season of this show, but I'm confident about this.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 pm
I am soooo jealous! WEASELS!!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:27 pm
MunichMan wrote:

There is absolutely no way for you to see the show at this time? What about internet streaming or satellite television?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:49 pm
The initial episode was directed by Tim Van Patten (Dick's son)...not bad for a guy who played "Salami" on "The White Shadow" and an annoying martial arts protege in the Lee Van Cleef series "The Master". Actually Van Patten has been one of HBO's "go to" guys in their stable of directors for 10+ years now, having directed several episodes of "The Sopranos", "Boardwalk Empire", "Deadwood", "Rome" and "The Pacific". Looks like he's only helming 2 episodes of "Game of Thrones"...last week's and next week's. Usually there's not a dramatic shift in quality between the HBO series directors (though Van Patten is historically not as shy about flashing the nudity)....hopefully the quality of direction will remain true here when the other directors' episodes air.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:16 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

There is absolutely no way for you to see the show at this time? What about internet streaming or satellite television?

When I've been to Europe there has been problems streaming content from North America. A lot of our streaming sites are not accessible from there. MunichMan may want to try an IP spoofing site to try to access a streaming video, but chances are he'd probably need one of us to download it for him and then P2P it to him. Otherwise, given the cost of this production, you know it will eventually be sold to Europe if they can; it's just a matter of time.

MunichMan...if / when you would get this on German broadcast, would it be shown dubbed in German or in English (with subtitles)? Not sure if you sprechen fluently or not.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm
I have a cable package that includes TNT Series and the SyFy channel, which shows American and UK series in the original language (not just from TNT, from other stations as well) but there has been no mention of GOT yet. I've looked at some tried and true sites where I get most of my content (ahem, Pirate Bay anyone?) but to no avail. I imagine I'll just have to wait for the DVD package...

I could watch it in German, but I hate watching in anything but the original language. My German is certainly good enough, but original Sprache ist immer besser.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:38 pm
Sorry, to answer your question, it would most likely be shown dubbed in German.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 pm
MunichMan wrote:
Sorry, to answer your question, it would most likely be shown dubbed in German.

Seriously, it sucks to be in Europe right now. :(

P.S.: I really LOVE the opening theme to the show. Here it is on YouTube.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 pm
I saw Lena Headey on the Late Late Show (Craig Ferguson). It was the usual insipid talk show interview, but I was a bit disappointed to learn that Headey was using a body double for her nude scenes in GoT. Oh well, it's not like Cersei got nude often in the first book- in fact, I think it was only once in the first novel.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:40 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I saw Lena Headey on the Late Late Show (Craig Ferguson). It was the usual insipid talk show interview, but I was a bit disappointed to learn that Headey was using a body double for her nude scenes in GoT. Oh well, it's not like Cersei got nude often in the first book- in fact, I think it was only once in the first novel.

I guess she's come a long way since 300 then.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next