Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:11 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Best Bond Films 
Author Message
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Best Bond Films
You know the drill: give me your top three or five best/favorite Bond flicks.
Mine:
1. From russia With Love
2. Goldfinger
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
4. Casino Royale
5. Licence to Kill


Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:34 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: Best Bond Films
1. Casino Royale
2. Goldfinger
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
4. Tomorrow Never Dies
5. Goldeneye


Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:48 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: Best Bond Films
1. Goldfinger
2. OHMSS
3. Casino Royale
4. Dr. No
5. The Spy Who Loved Me


Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:35 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Best Bond Films
After #6 the order gets a little shakier, but it was still fun ranking all 22

1. Casino Royale: Completely changed the franchise for me by making characters I cared about, and cracked my Top 25 favorite films
2. Goldfinger: The quintessential Bond film, with the best henchman and many of most quotable lines.
3. From Russia with Love: Works completely as a Le Carre style Cold War thriller in addition to being a superior Bond film
4. OHMSS: The occasional stiffness of Lazenby and a major continuity error are the only things which mar this entry.
5. The Spy Who Loved Me: Perfectly encapsulates how fun the series can be
6. Dr. No: Set the template for the series, and holds up quite well on its own
7. For Your Eyes Only: Bond came back to earth nicely in this solid, low-key entry in the series
8. The Living Daylights: An underrated entry in the series, the first entry for Dalton is very enjoyable all the way through
9. Tomorrow Never Dies: The most complete Brosnan, TND also benefits from a wonderful villain in Jonathon Pryce
10. Quantum of Solace: A come-down after Casino Royale, but not as bad as some maintained
11. Live and Let Die: Bond-cum-blaxploitation, it sags a little in the middle but has some colorful sets and villains
12. Goldeneye: Long on action and short on logic, but not without some charm
13. You Only Live Twice: The ninja assault climax is well-executed, but the film is borderline racist and has dated poorly
14. Die Another Day: A nice attempt to harden the series and look back at the previous films, but sadly not a very good film
15. Licence to Kill: An unholy mix of hard edges with familiar hokum (the truck does a wheelie!) that doesn't work
16. Octopussy: Unoriginal even by the series's standards, with Roger Moore beginning to phone it in
17. Moonraker: The sheer amount of ridiculousness (Holly Goodhead?) is kinda amusing, but the movie kinda sucks
18. A View to a Kill: A rehash of better films, with Moore looking really long in the tooth
19. Thunderball: It's fitting that Thunderball took place underwater, for here the series first jumped the shark
20. Diamonds are Forever: Yes it has Sean Connery, but it doesn't have anything else
21. The World is not Enough: I like the concept of a villainess, but Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist ruins that
22. The Man with the Golden Gun: Terrible henchman, annoying girl, toothless villain, overlong...a whole lot of suck

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:23 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: Best Bond Films
JamesKunz wrote:
After #6 the order gets a little shakier, but it was still fun ranking all 22

1. Casino Royale: Completely changed the franchise for me by making characters I cared about, and cracked my Top 25 favorite films
2. Goldfinger: The quintessential Bond film, with the best henchman and many of most quotable lines.
3. From Russia with Love: Works completely as a Le Carre style Cold War thriller in addition to being a superior Bond film
4. OHMSS: The occasional stiffness of Lazenby and a major continuity error are the only things which mar this entry.
5. The Spy Who Loved Me: Perfectly encapsulates how fun the series can be
6. Dr. No: Set the template for the series, and holds up quite well on its own
7. For Your Eyes Only: Bond came back to earth nicely in this solid, low-key entry in the series
8. The Living Daylights: An underrated entry in the series, the first entry for Dalton is very enjoyable all the way through
9. Tomorrow Never Dies: The most complete Brosnan, TND also benefits from a wonderful villain in Jonathon Pryce
10. Quantum of Solace: A come-down after Casino Royale, but not as bad as some maintained
11. Live and Let Die: Bond-cum-blaxploitation, it sags a little in the middle but has some colorful sets and villains
12. Goldeneye: Long on action and short on logic, but not without some charm
13. You Only Live Twice: The ninja assault climax is well-executed, but the film is borderline racist and has dated poorly
14. Die Another Day: A nice attempt to harden the series and look back at the previous films, but sadly not a very good film
15. Licence to Kill: An unholy mix of hard edges with familiar hokum (the truck does a wheelie!) that doesn't work
16. Octopussy: Unoriginal even by the series's standards, with Roger Moore beginning to phone it in
17. Moonraker: The sheer amount of ridiculousness (Holly Goodhead?) is kinda amusing, but the movie kinda sucks
18. A View to a Kill: A rehash of better films, with Moore looking really long in the tooth
19. Thunderball: It's fitting that Thunderball took place underwater, for here the series first jumped the shark
20. Diamonds are Forever: Yes it has Sean Connery, but it doesn't have anything else
21. The World is not Enough: I like the concept of a villainess, but Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist ruins that
22. The Man with the Golden Gun: Terrible henchman, annoying girl, toothless villain, overlong...a whole lot of suck


If I were to list them all, it would pretty much look like that, except probably swap TWINE and DAD.


Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:49 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1438
Post Re: Best Bond Films
My faves:

Connery

Thunderball
Goldfinger
From Russia WIth Love
You Only Live Twice

Moore

Live And Let Die
Spy Who Loved Me
For Your Eyes Only

Dalton

Living Daylights
License to Kill

Brosnan

Goldenye
Tomorrow Never Dies
The World Is Not Enough

Weakest:

Connery
Diamonds Are Forever

Moore
The Man With The Golden Gun
Moonraker (Worst in the whole damn series

Brosnan
DIe Another Day

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:13 pm
Profile
Post Re: Best Bond Films
Live And Let Die, really? I always considered that one of the worst films in the series, because of it's dull action scenes(like James said, that boat chase is a real snoozer) weak villains, that annoying racist sheriff(whoever thought putting a character like him in a Bond film was a good idea should be shot), and the general stupidity(voodoo? oh boy that does reek of desperation from the screenwriters :roll: )


Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:56 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1144
Post Re: Best Bond Films
Vexer wrote:
Live And Let Die, really? I always considered that one of the worst films in the series, because of it's dull action scenes(like James said, that boat chase is a real snoozer) weak villains, that annoying racist sheriff(whoever thought putting a character like him in a Bond film was a good idea should be shot), and the general stupidity(voodoo? oh boy that does reek of desperation from the screenwriters :roll: )


Finally, Vexer, something on which we agree. :lol: The whole 'Bond as blaxploitation flick' concept doesn't work here... and it isn't helped by the fact that the filmmakers are treating Moore as if he were Connery, which wasn't the case (they wouldn't fully lock into Moore's 007 persona until "The Spy Who Loved Me"). It features one of the weakest, most pathetically helpless heroines of all time, one of the blandest villains, and the most absurd death of said villain (even Goldfinger's death looked less silly by comparison). Honestly, Paul McCartney's theme song is the best thing about the movie. That said, I still prefer it over "The Man With the Golden Gun" and "A View to a Kill."


Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:59 pm
Profile
Post Re: Best Bond Films
TOP TIER
From Russia With Love
OHMSS

UPPER-MID TIER
Goldfinger
GoldenEye
Casino Royale

MID TIER
Dr. No
Thunderball
The Spy Who Loved Me
Licence to Kill
Tomorrow Never Dies

LOWER-MID TIER
The Man With the Golden Gun
The World Is Not Enough

"NOT WORTH GIVING A CRAP ABOUT" TIER
You Only Live Twice
Diamonds Are Forever
Live and Let Die
Moonraker
For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy
A View to a Kill
The Living Daylights
Die Another Day
Quantum of Solace


Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Best Bond Films
Ken wrote:
TOP TIER
From Russia With Love
OHMSS

UPPER-MID TIER
Goldfinger
GoldenEye
Casino Royale

MID TIER
Dr. No
Thunderball
The Spy Who Loved Me
Licence to Kill
Tomorrow Never Dies

LOWER-MID TIER
The Man With the Golden Gun
The World Is Not Enough

"NOT WORTH GIVING A CRAP ABOUT" TIER
You Only Live Twice
Diamonds Are Forever
Live and Let Die
Moonraker
For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy
A View to a Kill
The Living Daylights
Die Another Day
Quantum of Solace


Casino Royale below Goldeneye? Madness. Utter madness.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:09 pm
Profile
Post Re: Best Bond Films
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
TOP TIER
From Russia With Love
OHMSS

UPPER-MID TIER
Goldfinger
GoldenEye
Casino Royale

MID TIER
Dr. No
Thunderball
The Spy Who Loved Me
Licence to Kill
Tomorrow Never Dies

LOWER-MID TIER
The Man With the Golden Gun
The World Is Not Enough

"NOT WORTH GIVING A CRAP ABOUT" TIER
You Only Live Twice
Diamonds Are Forever
Live and Let Die
Moonraker
For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy
A View to a Kill
The Living Daylights
Die Another Day
Quantum of Solace


Casino Royale below Goldeneye? Madness. Utter madness.

Yeah, and how is Man With The Golden Gun lower-mid tier? That's easily the WORST Bond film of all, it decends so far into outright lunacy that's it's not the least bit exciting or compelling.


Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Director

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 1902
Post Re: Best Bond Films
My favorite Bond Flicks:

Die Another Day (very underrated)
The World is Not Enough
Diamonds Are Forever
Tomorrow Never Dies
Casino Royale/Quantum of Solace (tied)


Least favorite Bond: License to Kill


Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm
Profile
Post Re: Best Bond Films
ilovemovies wrote:
My favorite Bond Flicks:

Die Another Day (very underrated)
The World is Not Enough
Diamonds Are Forever
Tomorrow Never Dies
Casino Royale/Quantum of Solace (tied)


Least favorite Bond: License to Kill

Glad somebody else likes DAD, definitely disagree with License To Kill though, that's one of my favorite Bond films.


Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:42 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Best Bond Films
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
TOP TIER
From Russia With Love
OHMSS

UPPER-MID TIER
Goldfinger
GoldenEye
Casino Royale

MID TIER
Dr. No
Thunderball
The Spy Who Loved Me
Licence to Kill
Tomorrow Never Dies

LOWER-MID TIER
The Man With the Golden Gun
The World Is Not Enough

"NOT WORTH GIVING A CRAP ABOUT" TIER
You Only Live Twice
Diamonds Are Forever
Live and Let Die
Moonraker
For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy
A View to a Kill
The Living Daylights
Die Another Day
Quantum of Solace


Casino Royale below Goldeneye? Madness. Utter madness.

Yeah, and how is Man With The Golden Gun lower-mid tier? That's easily the WORST Bond film of all, it decends so far into outright lunacy that's it's not the least bit exciting or compelling.


Agree completely.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 pm
Profile
Post Re: Best Bond Films
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
Golden Eye
OHMSS
Casino Royale
The Spy Who Loved Me
Dr.No
Thunderball - would be top3 if someone edited 20 minutes of the underwater battle
License To Kill

after that there's not much to care about

until the complete dross
Moonraker
Octopussy
View To A Kill
Quantum of Solace

Rob


Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:59 pm
Post Re: Best Bond Films
1. Goldfinger
2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
3. Casino Royale
4. From Russia With Love
5. Thunderball
6. You Only Live Twice
7. Goldeneye
8. Dr. No
9. The Spy Who Loved Me
10. License To Kill
11. Tomorrow Never Dies
12. For Your Eyes Only
13. Diamonds Are Forever
14. Moonraker
15. The World Is Not Enough
16. The Man With The Golden Gun
17. Quantum Of Solace
18. Live And Let Die
19. A View To A Kill
20. Octopussy
21. The Living Daylights
22. Die Another Day

Granted, I haven't seen several of these in quite a long time, but I think I still remember them well enough to argue their placements. On a related note, 14 of them are now available to stream instantly on Netflix. The first three Connerys, the Pierce Brosnans, and the Daniel Craigs are the only ones missing. I think now might be the time to revisit the series.


Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:52 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1144
Post Re: Best Bond Films
1. "From Russia, With Love"
2. "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (Lazenby wasn't THAT bad -- in fact, I think he might've made the next 3 entries better movies than they were :o )
3. "Goldfinger"
4. "Doctor No"
5. "The Spy Who Loved Me"
6. "Moonraker" (don't get all the hate for this one -- it's actually quite funny)
7. "Thunderball"
8. "GoldenEye"
9. "You Only Live Twice"
10. "For Your Eyes Only"
11. "Licence to Kill"
12. "Diamonds Are Forever"
13. "Die Another Day"
14. "Tomorrow Never Dies"
15. "The World Is Not Enough"
16. "The Living Daylights" (the most overly earnest movie in the series)
17. "Octopussy"
18. "Live and Let Die"
19. "The Man With the Golden Gun"
20. "A View to a Kill"

I don't like lumping "Casino Royale" and "Quantum of Solace" in with these others since they make a deliberate attempt to start the series over from scratch. :ugeek: But, if pressed, I'd probably put "Casino" at #4 and "Quantum" at #12.


Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 am
Profile
Post Re: Best Bond Films
My top 5:
1) Goldfinger
2) Casino Royale
3) Thunderball
4) For Your Eyes Only
5) Licence to Kill

Anyone else ever read any of Ian Fleming's Bond novels or stories? I've read a few, and although they're somewhat old-fashioned now, they're better than the lower tier of the Bond movies (A View to a Kill, Moonraker, etc). In the case of Live and Let Die, it was used for 3 movies - the one of the same name, plus pieces of it show up in Licence to Kill and a scene in For Your Eyes Only. The book's heavy on the racism, though - Casino Royale or the short stories are better starting points.


Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1438
Post Re: Best Bond Films
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Glad somebody else likes DAD, definitely disagree with License To Kill though, that's one of my favorite Bond films.


ON License To Kill we agree. I always though Timothy Dalton was a better Bond than Roger Moore. He looked more like him and he was truly dangerous. His portrayal of Bond as a flawed human worked quite well. THe only Bonds I'd rank ahead of him would be Connery and Craig.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:45 pm
Profile
Post Re: Best Bond Films
JamesKunz wrote:
Casino Royale below Goldeneye? Madness. Utter madness.
Rescuing the franchise does not excuse Casino Royale for its problems. At the same time, it is a worthy Bond flick.

Vexer wrote:
Yeah, and how is Man With The Golden Gun lower-mid tier? That's easily the WORST Bond film of all, it decends so far into outright lunacy that's it's not the least bit exciting or compelling.
Christopher Lee.

Live and Let Die is the worst.


Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:00 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr