Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 am

April 1, 2011: "Movies, By Any Other Name" 
Post Re: April 1, 2011: "Movies, By Any Other Name"
Vexer wrote:
Let's see theres- August Rush, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Things We Lost In The Fire, The English Patient, The Reader and A Beautiful Mind(I know i'm gonna get crap for this one) There's others but those are just off the top of my head.

Thank god, I thought you were about to mention 'The King's Speech'. Was preparing a comeback and everything ;)

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:03 am
Site Admin

Craig wrote:
Vexer wrote:
If you've noticed, James actually gives out far less bad reviews now then he did back in the 90s.

This might have more to do with the fact that he doesn't review quite as many films as he did in the 90's. If he's being more selective, he might be choosing movies he is more inclined to give a positive reviews.

This is accurate. Although some of my picking and choosing is opportunistic (Is there a night press screening? Is it playing really close to me?), I'm skipping a lot of movies that I either don't have much interest in or that I suspect might not get a sterling review. Many times when I see those films on DVD, I pat myself on the back for not bothering with them in theaters.

And my production has decreased markedly. In the mid-90s, I was routinely seeing 300 theatrical releases per year and reviewing 220-250 of them. Now, it's about 150 per year with an 85% review rate. Many weeks, I only get two reviews up.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Robert Holloway wrote:
There's one reason the Studios love 3D and one reason alone

Call it 1D

$3 surcharge

The math is simple
Rob

I'd pay a surcharge to see it in glorious 2-D.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 am
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
There's one reason the Studios love 3D and one reason alone

Call it 1D

$3 surcharge

The math is simple
Rob

I'd pay a surcharge to see it in glorious 2-D.

If Think Geek's De-3D glasses were to become a reality, you might have that opportunity one day. :mrgreen:
-Jeremy

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 am
This is accurate. Although some of my picking and choosing is opportunistic (Is there a night press screening? Is it playing really close to me?), I'm skipping a lot of movies that I either don't have much interest in or that I suspect might not get a sterling review. Many times when I see those films on DVD, I pat myself on the back for not bothering with them in theaters.

And so what is your defense against not reviewing Win Win? :P

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:09 am
Vexer wrote:
Let's see theres- August Rush, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Things We Lost In The Fire, The English Patient, The Reader and A Beautiful Mind(I know i'm gonna get crap for this one) There's others but those are just off the top of my head.

All those movies pretty much sucked royally and are well acknowledged to have sucked, notably The English Patient, but A Beautiful Mind, notwithstanding the issues of Ron Howard leaving out the more unappealing aspects of John Nash's life, was a fantastic movie.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:12 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

i don't know man, i enjoyed before the devil knows you're dead. things we lost in the fire wasn't baaaaaaaaaaad either, just a bit meddling.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:53 am
Profile WWW
MrGuinness wrote:

I think he mentioned somewhere that Win Win wasn't playing anywhere near where he lived, so he wasn't able to see it.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:00 pm
Director

MrGuinness wrote:
Vexer wrote:

All those movies pretty much sucked royally and are well acknowledged to have sucked, notably The English Patient, but A Beautiful Mind, notwithstanding the issues of Ron Howard leaving out the more unappealing aspects of John Nash's life, was a fantastic movie.

Yeah, NO WAY did "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" suck... unless you watched it purely for the opening scene of Phillip Seymour Hoffman giving it to Marissa Tomei doggy-style. :|

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:39 pm
H.I. McDonough wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Yeah, NO WAY did "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" suck... unless you watched it purely for the opening scene of Phillip Seymour Hoffman giving it to Marissa Tomei doggy-style. :|

Well that scene and the ending was about the only thing that was memorable about that film, personally, I never really cared that much for Hoffman.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:45 pm
Site Admin

Vexer wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

I think he mentioned somewhere that Win Win wasn't playing anywhere near where he lived, so he wasn't able to see it.

No press screening that I could attend. It briefly played at a theater not too far from where I live but I figured it was something I could safely catch on DVD.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Any teasers on Certified Copy? :)

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:32 pm
Site Admin

oafolay wrote:

Just that it's coming. I haven't actually watched it yet, though.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

oafolay wrote:

Just that it's coming. I haven't actually watched it yet, though.

I'm curious. Will you be watching/reviewing The Conspirator? Or is that another one you are gonna wait for dvd? I personally think the movie looks very good, has a great cast and although his last film as a director (Lions for Lambs) was a misfire, I think Robert Redford is a great director.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:51 am
Good point on the 3D. I haven't seen a 3D movie in theaters, and, after testing out a 3D TV, I don't think I particularly care to.

The main problem with 3D today is that, just like the incarnation from 20 years ago, it's a mediocre gimmick. The way it exploits human perception to create the illusion of depth is primitive and fatiguing for many people. To me, authentic 3D would be holographics in the style of "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi".

The irony is that this form of 3D would probably not lend itself to viewing in theaters. You might want to rotate the camera to watch something from another angle (hehehe), but of course you couldn't do that in a theater. Thus, the monetary incentives for the development of the projection systems isn't there. Maybe if the military finds it useful, they can work it out and find a way to make it cheaper. In any case, I'm happy with 2D and pessimistic about (what I would consider) authentic 3D film coming about anytime soon.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:11 pm
transsapien wrote:
Good point on the 3D. I haven't seen a 3D movie in theaters, and, after testing out a 3D TV, I don't think I particularly care to.

The main problem with 3D today is that, just like the incarnation from 20 years ago, it's a mediocre gimmick. The way it exploits human perception to create the illusion of depth is primitive and fatiguing for many people. To me, authentic 3D would be holographics in the style of "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi".

The irony is that this form of 3D would probably not lend itself to viewing in theaters. You might want to rotate the camera to watch something from another angle (hehehe), but of course you couldn't do that in a theater. Thus, the monetary incentives for the development of the projection systems isn't there. Maybe if the military finds it useful, they can work it out and find a way to make it cheaper. In any case, I'm happy with 2D and pessimistic about (what I would consider) authentic 3D film coming about anytime soon.

Seconded. It is both a gimmick and a cash cow. I don't care how good it gets, it should just bugger off!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:56 pm