Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:19 pm

Favorite comedians 
Post Favorite comedians
So who are your favorite comedians? Mine are Chris Rock, George Lopez, Dave Chappelle, and Martin Lawrence. Least favorite is Jerry Seinfeld, I will NEVER understand how ANYBODY finds him the least bit funny, I'd rather see Carrot Top!

Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:19 pm
Post Re: Favorite comedians
Easy

Eddie Izzard by a mile

Rob

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:34 pm
Director

Mitch Hedberg. I also like some of Bob Newhart's stuff, and Woody Allen's stuff.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:42 pm
Rock, Chappelle, and Oswalt are the pinnacle for me. I also enjoy Stanhope, Wright, Cosby, Regan, Murphy, Posehn, and Carlin. Not the hugest fans of Hicks, Pryor, Cook, or The Blue Collar folks, but they all have their moments. (Some of them clearly have more moments than others.) I realize this topic isn't necessarily about stand-up, but... whatever. It's late.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:20 am
Blue Collar, oh just hearing those words make me cringe :evil: I tried watching Blue Collar comedy one time out of boredom, and I barely lasted 5 minutes, it was truly amazing how painfully unfunny those guys are, getting attacked by wasps is more entertaining!

Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:09 am
Director

I grew up listening to Bill Cosby albums (kids, ask your parents) and the only stand up comedans I've seen live were Ralphie May and Carrot Top. Those two were hilarious. I also like Craig Ferguson.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:18 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
Blue Collar, oh just hearing those words make me cringe :evil: I tried watching Blue Collar comedy one time out of boredom, and I barely lasted 5 minutes, it was truly amazing how painfully unfunny those guys are, getting attacked by wasps is more entertaining!

I believe that one needs a lower IQ and distinct lack of educational attainment to 'appreciate' the Blue Collar group.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:57 am
firefly wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I believe that one needs a lower IQ and distinct lack of educational attainment to 'appreciate' the Blue Collar group.

Truer words have never been spoken. I usually like low-brow humor, but those guys are like center of the earth low! :lol:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:47 am
George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Dave Chapelle, Demetri (sp) Martin, Eddy Izzard, others that I can't remember.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:18 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Doug Stanhope
Ross Noble
Jim Jeffries
Jack Dee
Rich Hall
Reginald D Hunter

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:54 am
Director

I love George Carlin and Richard Pryor. They both kicked in the door for edgy comedy. Chris Rock's Roll With The New is a fantastic comedy album especially the Marion Barry routine ("If you get caught smoking crack at McDonald's you're not getting your job back. They'll send your a** to Hardees") and the Black Civil War one. Bill Cosby of course is fantastic. Robin Williams is at his best when he does stand-up cause then he doesn't have to adhere to a script and if he goes off on tangents, he's not disrupting the flow of the film. The previously mentioned Bill Hicks I like a great deal. Some people have claimed he was too nihilistic. I would argue that his comedy was his way of raging against the world devolving into a pile of BS. In a sense, one could argue that Carlin was more nihilistic in a sense as he seemed to be arguing that even BS was BS.

Probably the best recent comedy album is David Cross's "Shut Up You F****** Baby!" It's a double album and it definitely warrants it. Funny as hell and like Hicks, Cross uses humor as a means of ranting against society's downfall.

Blue Collar Comedy I can take in just the right dose. Some of what they do is funny (especially Foxworthy's redneck stuff and Engvall's "here's your sign" bits). But they kinda overdo it at times.

Jerry Seinfeld is mildly amusing at spots. I've never found what he does uproariously funny. I'm even less enthusiastic about Dane Cook. I get his jokes. But I've never found him funny.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:19 pm
The greatest comedian in the world is Billy Connolly. Hands down.
I also love Tommy Tiernan. He is the best Irish Comedian.
Alot of people think that he is contrivirsal, that may well be the case but he is still damn funny.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:44 am
Well I like the series of Mr. Bean, but unfortunately I don't know his real name.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:01 am
wernier wrote:
Well I like the series of Mr. Bean, but unfortunately I don't know his real name.

It's Rowan Atkinson.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:31 am
Vexer wrote:
wernier wrote:

It's Rowan Atkinson.

I'm British, like Rowan but have never connected with this character - dunno why
I love Mr. Hulot
Rob

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:15 am
Director

As clean as he is, Brian Regan remains the cream of the crop for me - the man sells it with his insane facial expressions

Bill Burr is coming on strong for my "favorite comedian" spot though, "Why Do I Do This?" is by far one of the most brilliant stand-up acts I've seen, and "Let It Go", his most recent special, was side-splitting as well.

Jim Gaffigan is up there as well, great self-deprecating sense of humor with a thinking, always concerned female-sounding voice narrating his every joke.

And as unpopular as it might be, Dane Cook's first two albums ("Harmful if Swallowed", "Retailiation") are phenomenal. Sure, he's a jackass in real-life and his recent efforts have been downright pathetic, but darn it, I like those first two CD's. I do.

And for the record - I liked Daniel Tosh before he was popular. It's disappointing that I told many people to check him out, only to be brushed off, only before "Tosh.0" got popular and everybody hopped on the bandwagon. "True Stories I Made Up" is a hilarious act.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:17 am
Profile WWW
David Cross ('Shut Up Your Fucking Baby' is just great, great stuff), Bill Hicks (who has never had a flop release and was genuinely the most adept comic in his game when at his peak), Greg Giraldo (who may have been the most furiously funny comic ever - his rants built up like atomic bomb clouds), Patton Oswalt, who is not only self-deprecating and has a great form of delivery, but probably likes the same films/music that I do. Gotta love This Mortal Coil references in the middle of a KFC skit. His albums are also pretty generous.

The best comedy album that I've ever heard, acknowledging that I own Cross' brilliant (recording) debut, is Bill Hicks' 'Rant In E Minor'. That is the best value of any comedy album that I can imagine. 36 tracks of mind-boggling beauty. 'Arizona Bay' isn't far behind - and yes, he thought of that before Tool. You're welcome, alt-metal.

P.S. I despise the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, but I do not despise Ron White. In fact, I enjoy his material consistently. He's deceptively smart, even when his topics veer into the same domain as that flaming pussball Larry The Cable Guy. Lumping him in with the other Blue Collar bores is not only inaccurate, but deprives you of several of his post-Blue solo sets, which are all amazing. Real presence.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:17 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
David Cross ('Shut Up Your Fucking Baby' is just great, great stuff), Bill Hicks (who has never had a flop release and was genuinely the most adept comic in his game when at his peak), Greg Giraldo (who may have been the most furiously funny comic ever - his rants built up like atomic bomb clouds), Patton Oswalt, who is not only self-deprecating and has a great form of delivery, but probably likes the same films/music that I do. Gotta love This Mortal Coil references in the middle of a KFC skit. His albums are also pretty generous.

The best comedy album that I've ever heard, acknowledging that I own Cross' brilliant (recording) debut, is Bill Hicks' 'Rant In E Minor'. That is the best value of any comedy album that I can imagine. 36 tracks of mind-boggling beauty. 'Arizona Bay' isn't far behind - and yes, he thought of that before Tool. You're welcome, alt-metal.

P.S. I despise the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, but I do not despise Ron White. In fact, I enjoy his material consistently. He's deceptively smart, even when his topics veer into the same domain as that flaming pussball Larry The Cable Guy. Lumping him in with the other Blue Collar bores is not only inaccurate, but deprives you of several of his post-Blue solo sets, which are all amazing. Real presence.

Pretty sure that sample from that Tool song is actually an audio clip of Bill.

And I only recently learned of Greg Giraldo's passing...what a shame. Wtf is up with these awesome comedians dying young? Hicks, Geraldo, Mitch Hedberg, Lenny Bruce, Belushi, sheeet, even Bernie Mac.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:03 am
I've recently grown rather fond of Carlos Mencia, I once said he wasn't good at telling jokes, but i've changed my mind. I've also become a big fan of Margaret Cho.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:14 pm
My current favorite comedian by far is Louis CK.

Here's his conversation with Jon Stewart about farting and being out of shape.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:27 pm