It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 am

April 1, 2011: "Movies, By Any Other Name" 
Site Admin

Post April 1, 2011: "Movies, By Any Other Name"
Click here to read topic.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: April 1, 2011: "Movies, By Any Other Name"
I feel like my own cinematic expectations have inadvertently fallen into line with Hollywood assumptions. There was once a time where, like JB, I sought more from the movie going experience however as I said in the 'Sucker Punch' thread, that's not what I go for now. The first time I saw 'Return Of The King' on the big screen, I remember going home with a weird feeling... as if a beloved family member had just died. I later realised that I'd already seen the pinnacle of my cinema going adventures. This was before I became a Harry Potter obsessive of course but I've never quite felt the latter to be anywhere near as good as the former. 'LOTR' as a trilogy has become my cinematic milestone; the movie event of my youth (late teens/early 20s to be exact) and to quote JB, as Hollywood feels the spectacle is enough, so the spectacle is all I ever expect from a movie these days.

It may sound defeatist or nihilistic but I just don't see how cinema can continue to survive, or if it does I can't see it becoming as great as it has been in the past. 3D is a plague on modern cinema. Bad movies are bad movies and 3D is simply the shiny on a string being patronisingly dangled in front of our faces to try and distract us from the utter pig shit being churned out by studios. Couple this together with the psychological trickery used in the advertising of movies like 'Avatar' and all we're left with is an industry of charlatans. Thank god for Chris Nolan is all I can say!

/rant

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:51 pm
There have always been loads of bad movies
There have always been a few really good movies
Nothing has really changed
Rob

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 pm
If you've noticed, James actually gives out far less bad reviews now then he did back in the 90s.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:39 pm
Great column. I couldn't agree more. I've stayed away from theaters primarily because of all the 3D. It's basically extra money for a dimmer picture and uncomfortable plastic glasses.

Some have bashed me for choosing to see movies based on reviews, saying that I can't form my own opinion, but it's A LOT different from when you're a teenager. When you work for a living, you're on a budget and you learn to understand the importance of what's a good way to spend money and what isn't (well, some of us do). Also, critics generally aren't looking to crush movies (although Armond White makes me wonder sometimes); they grade harder because they're passionate about movies and expect more than pure formula. I feel I'm in the same boat.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:18 pm
Vexer wrote:
If you've noticed, James actually gives out far less bad reviews now then he did back in the 90s.

This might have more to do with the fact that he doesn't review quite as many films as he did in the 90's. If he's being more selective, he might be choosing movies he is more inclined to give a positive reviews.

Most of what we see in the multiplexes today is utter garbage. Good films are still out there, but you have to search a little harder to find them.

Hollywood definitely needs to learn how to use 3D better. Outside of Avatar, they aren't doing themselves many favors. I think it's ultimate success or failure will be based on how well 3D TV takes off. If 3D becomes the new standard in home TV viewing, would people still be interested in going to movies in a 2D format? Granted 3D doesn't work for every type of show.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Craig wrote:
Vexer wrote:

This might have more to do with the fact that he doesn't review quite as many films as he did in the 90's. If he's being more selective, he might be choosing movies he is more inclined to give a positive reviews.

Most of what we see in the multiplexes today is utter garbage. Good films are still out there, but you have to search a little harder to find them.

Hollywood definitely needs to learn how to use 3D better. Outside of Avatar, they aren't doing themselves many favors. I think it's ultimate success or failure will be based on how well 3D TV takes off. If 3D becomes the new standard in home TV viewing, would people still be interested in going to movies in a 2D format? Granted 3D doesn't work for every type of show.

I don't think it even worked for Avatar. I see 3D as an alternative, not as a replacement.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:01 pm
Assistant Director

Quote:
There are the cineastes, the Roger Eberts of the world, whose love of pure cinema leads to a belief that its inherent beauty will never die. They generally stay away from multiplexes but populate art houses. I wish I had their optimism. I wish I was less of a philistine. Unfortunately, that 15-year old kid still clouds my choices and some of the greatest expressions of motion picture "art" bore me to death. I can't stand opera or the ballet, either. I love stories, well-developed characters, and clever dialogue. If a movie lacks one of those elements (or all three), it's unlikely to enrapture me. It's more likely to put me to sleep. But God bless the cineastes. I'm just not good enough to be one.

I'm like you, JB. I love movies with good stories and interesting characters. The characters don't even have to be multi-dimensional; they just have to have a personality ("Twister" is a case in point. I watch that movie over and over again because the crew was so much fun to be around.).

I don't like "art" films either. I hate movies with little dialogue (Wall-E being an exception, because it told a story), and I hate movies where everyone is defined by the most random quirks the writers can think of (while the actors are forced to speak in a monotone).

3D is not the death of cinema as we know it. The problem is that it's an expensive process, and studios are making a half-assed effort at it to save money. But if one compares Avatar to something else like "My Soul to Take," it becomes clear that 3D is an all or nothing thing. You can't go for the middle ground.

In the end, I think it will be just a fad. It will pass because ultimately people just dont really want it.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
In the end, I think it will be just a fad. It will pass because ultimately people just dont really want it.

Totally agree.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 pm
My local Costco is selling 3D TVs
I have become friendly with the guy on the TV area and he says that
Nobody likes them when they look through the glasses

I have zero interest in paying extra to see movies in 3D
Rob

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 am
Cinema isn't forever. Just as theater was once the chief means of experiencing staged stories and passed into the realm of he esoteric, movies will one day--maybe very soon--collapse under the inadequacy of being a 20th century technology in a 21st century world. Current trends like queasycam and 3D won't cause the decline of cinema, but I believe they are symptoms of it.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:49 am
There's one reason the Studios love 3D and one reason alone

Call it 1D

$3 surcharge

The math is simple
Rob

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:17 am
Hate to harp on this again, but maybe now we can cool the jets on the arguing over Best Picture candidates after the Oscars (i.e. King's Speech vs Social Network). This article pretty much confirmed what I initially suspected: Oscar-nominated films at least try to tell good stories and aren't dumbed down for teenagers or over-rely on explosions, stupid comedy, and 3D.

Regardless of which movie you think is more deserving of an award, in times like these, when the motion picture industry looks pretty miserable, we should unite against a common foe. :)

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:06 pm
Director

KRoss wrote:
Hate to harp on this again, but maybe now we can cool the jets on the arguing over Best Picture candidates after the Oscars (i.e. King's Speech vs Social Network). This article pretty much confirmed what I initially suspected: Oscar-nominated films at least try to tell good stories and aren't dumbed down for teenagers or over-rely on explosions, stupid comedy, and 3D.

Regardless of which movie you think is more deserving of an award, in times like these, when the motion picture industry looks pretty miserable, we should unite against a common foe. :)

Here, here.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
KRoss wrote:

Here, here.

I don't agree with that at all, i'll gladly watch so-called "dumbed down" films over pretentious shitty Oscar bait films any day.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 pm
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
KRoss wrote:

Here, here.

I don't agree with that at all, i'll gladly watch so-called "dumbed down" films over pretentious shitty Oscar bait films any day.

And what pretentious Oscar bait are we referring to here?
Rob

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:27 pm
Let's see theres- August Rush, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Things We Lost In The Fire, The English Patient, The Reader and A Beautiful Mind(I know i'm gonna get crap for this one) There's others but those are just off the top of my head.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:12 pm
Vexer wrote:
Let's see theres- August Rush, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Things We Lost In The Fire, The English Patient, The Reader and A Beautiful Mind(I know i'm gonna get crap for this one) There's others but those are just off the top of my head.

5 films in 10 years?
Would you like a list of crap mind numbing movies from the last ten years?
There's a cut off at 10k characters on the forum :lol:
Rob

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:29 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vexer wrote:

5 films in 10 years?
Would you like a list of crap mind numbing movies from the last ten years?
There's a cut off at 10k characters on the forum :lol:
Rob

Well like I said, there's more examples then the ones I listed, those were just off the top of my head, and i'd MUCH rather watch a dozen mind-numbing films then even ONE of those damn oscar bait films.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:43 pm
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
KRoss wrote:

Here, here.

Hey man, at least the movies that strive for awards aren't trying to suck extra money out of us with 3D. There's also far more well-behaved audiences.

I used to believe in the "Oscar Bait" theory as well, but I've changed my stance over the years. Now, I definitely respect a filmmaker who strives for awards rather than just making money off teenagers.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:12 pm