Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:52 am

Berardinelli's Cynical Review of "Going My Way" 
Post Berardinelli's Cynical Review of "Going My Way"
I strongly disagree with Berardinelli's review of "Going My Way". I admit that the movie is outdated, but I still find it a pleasant movie to watch. It has many redeeming qualities, despite all of the criticisms in the review. Bing Crosby's character may be unbelievably "noble", but it's rewarding just to think about such a character existing.

While I've always appreciated Berardinelli's reviews, I think that in this review he is being too cynical. Nowadays we may consider the story to be part of the fantasy genre but no matter what genre we put it in, it's still possible to appreciate the upbeat tone of the film and the many pleasant moments it offers.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:33 pm
Critic

Post Re: Berardinelli's Cynical Review of "Going My Way"
I can see why you feel that way. Often when a critic doesn't like a movie that you do, the review feels cynical and/or snarky. But I don't think JB is being unfair in his review here--though in all candor I haven't seen the movie

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:43 pm
Thank you for your reply, James. I have a high regard for James Berardinelli's articulate reviews. I think that this is the first one I haven't agreed with.

BTW, what does "gaffer" mean under my name?

Last edited by polly1934 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:53 pm
polly1934 wrote:

It's a rank. The more you post the more you rank goes from Gaffer to Assistant Director to Director to Auteur and some others I may have missed.

Also, this should've been in Going My Way's thread at the Video Reviews. JB doesn't bite if you disagree with him...hard.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:03 pm
Director

Patrick wrote:
polly1934 wrote:

It's a rank. The more you post the more you rank goes from Gaffer to Assistant Director to Director to Auteur and some others I may have missed.

Also, this should've been in Going My Way's thread at the Video Reviews. JB doesn't bite if you disagree with him...hard.

I have tooth marks on my ankle that speak to the contrary.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:27 pm
There are many Berardinelli reviews that I don't agree with, which, in my mind, makes them all the more valuable.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:31 pm
I disagree with him all the time, nevertheless he usually explains himself pretty well and dosen't go on for several paragraphs about stuff that's only tangibly related to the film itself like Ebert often has a tendency to do.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:45 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I disagree with him all the time, nevertheless he usually explains himself pretty well and dosen't go on for several paragraphs about stuff that's only tangibly related to the film itself like Ebert often has a tendency to do.

Sometimes that describes an entire Ebert review.

I disagreed with JB on Never Let Me Go, by a whole star (usually I'm within a half star either way). I agreed to some extent with his review (the novel is a little too subtle to be fully realizable onscreen), but I didn't find the movie's faults to outweigh its strong points.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:

Yeah but Ebert's such a better writer that I can forgive him his excesses. Sometimes I grow tired of the JB formula review and wish he'd get a smidge less conventional

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:00 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Yeah but Ebert's such a better writer that I can forgive him his excesses. Sometimes I grow tired of the JB formula review and wish he'd get a smidge less conventional

Well I wouldn't mind it so much if Ebert would at least explain WHY he gives certain films low and high ratings, sometimes he'll just rant over nothing for two paragraphs without ever actually explaining the reason why he likes or dosen't like the film, instead he'll just talk about something incredibly vague that has little or no bearing on the film itself, to me a good writer is somebody who clearly explains they're reasoning without too much natter and going off topic. Personally I think Dustin Putman is a better writer then both James and Ebert, he always explains himself clearly and gives plenty of in depth reasons WHY he likes or dislikes films, so even though I may disagree with his reviews a fair bit, at least they don't frustrate and/or confuse me like Ebert's reviews often do.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:17 pm
firefly wrote:
Patrick wrote:
polly1934 wrote:

I have tooth marks on my ankle that speak to the contrary.

Thank you for answering my question about the meaning of "gaffer".
Regarding my choice of thread, I tried to post at Video Reviews but, for some reason, was unsuccessful. It seemed that my choice was rejected. In any case, I couldn't find another thread for "Going My Way". So I started a new one.
As a first time poster here, I found the organization of the categories difficult to understand. IMO, the board is not user-friendly, or perhaps it just takes getting used to.
No matter, James Berardinelli is still my favorite critic. I appreciate the clarity of his well-written reviews.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:49 am
PS - Please see my other post (dated 3/21/11) at the related topic linked below:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2872&p=86277#p86277

(I finally found the VideoViews section.) (g)

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:25 am
Hey Polly1934

I personally hate reviews that concur with my every thought. I love to be challenged by hearing a different perspective, it's just so much more interesting.

If I see a film that I love I'm far more curious to hear why someone else did not. In fact it's one of the reasons I love this forum. Probably the best example of this in recent years is Benjamin Button. I found it dull and self reverential upon first viewing and then read loads of glowing reviews. i went back and paid another $10 to see it again.

.... and it was worse!

My fave reviewer is Mark Kermode in the UK. I frequently disagree with him. In fact far more than I disagree with James. It;s his delivery of reviews and thought patterns that are so fascinating. he is also fearless at championing movies that the mainstream detest.

James really does need to occasionally modify his template and write from his heart rather than solely his brain. This is what makes Ebert and Kermode so interesting.

Welcome and have fun!
Rob

PS - Life does not change as your ranking moves :-)

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well I wouldn't mind it so much if Ebert would at least explain WHY he gives certain films low and high ratings, sometimes he'll just rant over nothing for two paragraphs without ever actually explaining the reason why he likes or dosen't like the film, instead he'll just talk about something incredibly vague that has little or no bearing on the film itself, to me a good writer is somebody who clearly explains they're reasoning without too much natter and going off topic. Personally I think Dustin Putman is a better writer then both James and Ebert, he always explains himself clearly and gives plenty of in depth reasons WHY he likes or dislikes films, so even though I may disagree with his reviews a fair bit, at least they don't frustrate and/or confuse me like Ebert's reviews often do.

Didn't his review of Kick-Ass falls under this? We got it, the girl is fighting criminals and is getting beat up. He never really touched upon the film itself, just the small girl fighting.

...I would look his review up, but I can never get to his site at work. Or ESPN.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 am
That's exactly what i'm talking about. Ok Ebert, you don't like kids who kill, we get it, now how bout actually talking about something ELSE in the film, you know things like the plot, acting, etc: laziest most half-assed review EVER! :roll: Also he'll occasionally get facts wrong about some of the films he reviews, like his review for I Am Number Four, he thinks that the main characters and the mongolians are the same race when they're two different races, come on! How the hell could he have possibly missed something THAT obvious?! :roll:

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:50 am
[quote="Robert Holloway"]Hey Polly1934
I personally hate reviews that concur with my every thought. I love to be challenged by hearing a different perspective, it's just so much more interesting. [...]
Welcome and have fun!
Rob
-------------------------------
Thank you, Rob, for your welcome. I know what you mean about hearing different perspectives. At Goodreads.com the members can filter the member book reviews to include only those readers who gave one star to the book. I often read those negative reviews to find out what people didn't like about a particular book. Many times my feelings are validated.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:33 pm
Director

To an extent I have to agree on Ebert. I read his reviews and they are well-written. But there are times where he'll blast a movie that it seems he hasn't really examined. The aforementioned Kick-Ass is one example as he just goes off on a tangent. Fight Club is another. With JB at least I get a sense that he's always examined something before giving his opinion.

Over on Epinions, you have (or used to have) quite a few people writing good movie reviews. Some of the writing there could be close in quality to what you might find at a good magazine.

To me, the best critics are the ones that explain why something or something doesn't work in an entertaining manner. To take another are: in music Jim Derogatis is a good music critic because he looks closely at what he reviews. When he doesn't like something about an album, he's very specific about what it is and how it relates to the rest of the album.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 am