Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:41 am

Why I like this forum... 
Assistant Director

Post Why I like this forum...
I love visiting this forum. Here's why...

1. The people here actually know film.
2. There are no trolls.
3. People don't like/hate movies because "it's the cool thing to do"
4. No one gets insulted by their opinions.
5. People here are intelligent, and recognize why "Twilight" is such a crappy movie compared to other romances.
6. IT'S JAMES BERARDINELLI'S WEBSITE!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Why I like this forum...
i've been a long term reader of james' reviews and have (on the rare ocassion) frequented the forums, today i decided to finally sign up, due in part to many of the reasons you cited. :)

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Great idea Moviemkr.

1. Same as yours. The level of knowledge about film displayed here is way, way above average.
2. It's small enough that an individual's contributions matter and relationships between posters can form, but big enough that there are multiple perspectives.
3. The English language skills of the posters here are way, way better than average for the internet.
4. Majoraphasia. Except that fucker's been AWOL so long that I almost forget what a gay joke looks like.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:38 pm
The real reason I like this forum is the people. I'm truly in awe by how much you guys know about, well, everything! This may be a movie forum (and there's great discussion of movies) but I'm continually and pleasantly surprised by the number of quality posts on topics as diverse as basketball, geography, technology, diet or just life in general.

Also, you dudes make me laugh. A lot.

We could use a few more ladies and we could do without the recurring lulls, but overall this forum is a place I really love to visit.

JamesKunz wrote:
4. Majoraphasia. Except that fucker's been AWOL so long that I almost forget what a gay joke looks like.

I actually had a theory that this forum would collapse if he was absent long enough. It's good that we managed to thrive while he's away. It's getting about time for him to come back though.

OtherBen wrote:
i've been a long term reader of james' reviews and have (on the rare ocassion) frequented the forums, today i decided to finally sign up, due in part to many of the reasons you cited. :)

Well, a kind welcome to you, OtherBen. I don't think we have a Ben, so in our hearts you're the one and only Ben.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:38 pm
- I enjoy watching from afar how much Rob Holloway acts like he's above this forum and how people respect him for it.

- pete, major, james k, rob h, ed and ken really know their shit and can write.

- It's a nice escape.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 am
Director

Talk about movies, TV, books, life. All and all, this is a place where we can talk and discuss about what's going on in our lives. I guess you can call it a forum. ;)

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:07 pm
Profile YIM
JamesKunz wrote:
Just look in the mirror.

BUUUURRRRN!!!!

Not to gloat about it or anything.

Anyway, I'll be here all week. I accept tips.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:24 pm
I fucking love this forum...for all the reasons listed and more.

I learn so much from you fools. You've expanded my movie viewing habits to films I've never would have known about. As I have before and will do so again...thank you .

I might be alone here, but, there are some posters here who I feel I probably would have been good friends with had we gone to the same school or something. I like the level of shit talking here. Yeah...that's how I measure my friendships.

Alright. More later maybe. I hate typing on this phone.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:56 am
JamesKunz wrote:

Nice! I won't be around in any regular capacity before May (legit reasons!) but I'd like you to know (all of you... not just Jamesy (the cool one)) that I'm a fan. Of myself. And this forum.

What I like:

I like that 90% of my Netflix queue is recommendations from this forum. Zeppelin is particularly well-represented. That guy knows art movies. I love art movies. I love Zeppelin. I really love that song "In The Evening". So GREAT!

-

I like that I can go totally crazy and still feel welcome.

I like how movie reviews often blur into confession. That's cool.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:48 pm
The best compliment I can give is that everyone who posts regularly is worth more to me than the majority of my immediate family. I interact with most of you more than I do most of my closest friends. That might be sad, but it's true.

I know it's bad when I wonder if even some of you guys don't even like me all that much. That probably says more about me than anyone, but that's reality.

If I interact with you on here, it's likely because I think you're awesome.

Reelviews is fantastic.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:04 am
I like this forum because everyone here can respectfully agree and disagree with each other unlike most other movie sites(looking at you IMDB!) and I find alot of the discussions on here more interesting then almost anything I ever learned in school.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:08 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I like this forum because everyone here can respectfully agree and disagree with each other unlike most other movie sites(looking at you IMDB!) and I find alot of the discussions on here more interesting then almost anything I ever learned in school.

Exactly! I have ranted about the royal tenenbaums a number of times on this site, and no one has yelled at or insulted me for it. They may disagree, but people here have mostly been curious as too why I hated it so much.

Speaking of vexer, I once posted a convo about films we disagreed with. Vexer said that this had already been done (unbeknownst to me), but she nevertheless posted her opinion as well. No insults, no visible irritation. It was sooooo refreshing. Thanks Vexer!

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Exactly! I have ranted about the royal tenenbaums a number of times on this site, and no one has yelled at or insulted me for it. They may disagree, but people here have mostly been curious as too why I hated it so much.

Speaking of vexer, I once posted a convo about films we disagreed with. Vexer said that this had already been done (unbeknownst to me), but she nevertheless posted her opinion as well. No insults, no visible irritation. It was sooooo refreshing. Thanks Vexer!

Your most welcome, and BTW i'm a "he", not a "she" despite my choice of avatar

Last edited by Vexer on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:56 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
I know it's bad when I wonder if even some of you guys don't even like me all that much.

Petey! Not only do I like you, but I wub you. Can't get that just anywhere

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:13 am
JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I know it's bad when I wonder if even some of you guys don't even like me all that much.

Petey! Not only do I like you, but I wub you. Can't get that just anywhere

Thanks man. The wub is surely reciprocated. I'm not really sure where that post of mine came from. It was late and I was in a bad mood.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:54 pm
wisey wrote:
- I enjoy watching from afar how much Rob Holloway acts like he's above this forum and how people respect him for it.

- pete, major, james k, rob h, ed and ken really know their shit and can write.

- It's a nice escape.

Just to be absolutely clear I am above this forum.
Nah, I gave up that grand illusion ages ago :-)

I have been AWOL for a couple of months or more simply because my business landed a couple of very decent contracts and I started doing 70 hour weeks. It's always feast or famine.

What do I love:

Intelligent non confrontational discussion about movies. Even when things get temporarily out of hand we find ways to mend broken bridges. This really is the best forum I've tried, and trust me I've been to some dark places.

The breadth of expertise from crap like The Witch Who Came From the Sea to the greats - it's all in here

The breadth of experience - be it geographic, cultural or simply from age. Though we miss half the human population :-(

As I read this thread i realize just how much i love this forum and how I fell like I know many of you.

Thanks!
Rob

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:36 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Sorry buddy! You have to admit it's an honest mistake.

And thank you for proving my point...again. :P

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:42 am
Profile WWW
Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

But as I've said before, you look cute as hell!
Rob

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:51 am
Assistant Director

I have read several opinions here that resonate with mine and the only thing I can add is that on these ReelViews forums (all of them, not only this one :-)) I have found some film recommendations (particularly from the past) which otherwise I would have not been bother to look at it. I think that complements very well with JB's reviews

Cheers

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 pm
Profile WWW