Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:26 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners! 
Post Re: The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Well.

I still stand by The Social Network as the best film of the year. Although I did and do love Inception, and Enter the Void and Black Swan (hell, 127 Hours is growing on me even more then before as well; like Major said, it is such an optimistic film. I actually think Hours would benefit from a double feature with Boyle's last film, don't you?), I cannot give it or them the honor of best film of 2010.

Now, Fincher for Best Director? Hell yeah. Just read any of Jim Emerson's insightful blogs on the film to assure you of that. No flashy, sardonic fight sequences or descents' into utter madness, at least not in the same sense as the two other nominees I referenced. Totally controlled and understated yet fine tuned to absolute perfection, I like that.

To be completely honest I had only seen one of the films from where the Best Actor's nominees came from, so I didn't vote for anyone besides Eisenberg. I still don't know about the others, but now I'd say that Franco deserves his title. Both and very good performances but Franco fucking nailed it right out of the park.

Another hell yeah for my forum, Jennifer Lawrence for Winter's Bone. My number one and the number one. I'm more inclined to agree with Emerson that Portman's performance was kind of one-note. It wasn't bad, and it fit into the film very well, but while I was initially watching it I remember thinking to myself about how much she reminded me of a child growing up until she flowered at the ending, same as her performance. Surprised The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo received less then expected both here and elsewhere, it seems to have been forgotten by the powers that be besides James B. (Not-so) interesting side ditty, I have a few periods with a Norwegian foreign exchange student (who, for the sake of having a pretentious Beatle's slash Haruki Murakami reference, I'll call Wood) who recently leaned in towards me and asked if I had seen those movies with the titles like The Girl Who dot dot dot and how she likes them; I let her borrow the first book for a trip she is currently taking to Hawaii. Back on track dot dot dot

Andrew Garfield and John Hawkes, how could you pick between those two for Best Supporting Actor? Apparently by choosing Christian Bale, but I digress. Personally, at the time I voted for Garfield, who if he hadn't built it up before still would have been great simply for the scene where he finds out how Eisenberg royally fucked him over. Which reminds both of the music used in that scene, and the final scene with Eisenberg repeatedly hitting that refresh button. Did I mention I think The Social Network is the best film of the year?

Mila Kunis. Yes Major, she is hot. Hot hot hot. She did bring the heat to Black Swan, a key part of what made the movie tick. Did she deserve a win over Olivia Williams or even Dale Dickey?

The Social Network for Best Adapted. The Academy may have gone all Major-creaming-over-Kunis style with the voting for King's Speech (maybe as a "fuck you, we voted for Shakespeare in Love and we'll do it again" type deal) but at least they still had the know to give Sorkin the award he deserved. The only film to come close to having such blistering dialogue is the land mine ridden Kids Are All Right.

Who voted for Biutiful? I still haven't seen it, and despite my love of Babel for some reason my interest isn't very piqued. A Prophet and Secret in Their Eyes are both waiting for me (as well as the wasn't it 2009 or is it 2010 White Ribbon which was open to but apparently forgotten about for our Awards). This is one realm where I gave Dogtooth its due, I'm still not entirely sure about it but I am sure that it is quite a film, with far more an effective ending then Dragon Tattoo.

For Best Ensemble Cast I'm still leaning towards Kids Are All Right, great set of five fine performances (if Benning is remembered as an Actress for any specific film, it should be that as opposed to American Beauty). Out of the options though (and there were some good ones) I have to say that Social Network still shines.

Now for Art Direction: more of you need to Enter the fucking Void! Black Swan looked great, elegant yet utterly unhinged. However, Gaspar Noe went all the way to Peruvian fucking jungle to legally try Ayahuasca so he could put the visuals to screen. How could we disregard a movie that starts off with a fucking DMT trip?!

For Best Editing I give you Social Network. For why I send you back over to Jim Emerson's superb blog.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Yes. The type of transcendental score that permeates every frame of the film it plays for, sinking into every scene and becoming a part of it, elevating it at times without you even noticing it. Perfect.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:53 am
Producer

JJoshay wrote:

Mila Kunis. Yes Major, she is hot. Hot hot hot. She did bring the heat to Black Swan, a key part of what made the movie tick. Did she deserve a win over Olivia Williams or even Dale Dickey?

Most definitely NOT IMO. Especially over Williams, who is fantastic in the terrific movie The Ghost Writer, which is also one of my favorite movies of 2010.

I agree with the person who said that she was adequate but definitely no more. Vincent Cassell, Barbara Hershey, Winona Ryder and Portman were all fantastic. Kunis was simply solid. Not entirely her fault. There really isn't much to her character. But definitely not worthy of the heaps of praise and nominations that she received.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:47 am
ilovemovies wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

Most definitely NOT IMO. Especially over Williams, who is fantastic in the terrific movie The Ghost Writer, which is also one of my favorite movies of 2010.

I agree with the person who said that she was adequate but definitely no more. Vincent Cassell, Barbara Hershey, Winona Ryder and Portman were all fantastic. Kunis was simply solid. Not entirely her fault. There really isn't much to her character. But definitely not worthy of the heaps of praise and nominations that she received.

Actually Vincent Cassell kept getting on my nerves, he's good until the psychobabble that spells out too much of the film (It's biggest flaw, it would have done better to let us figure some of it out for ourselves. Fortunately it doesn't hurt the end product too much as opposed to keep it from being as great as it could be).

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 am
The White Ribbon was eligible for last year's awards since it came out on December 31, 2009. It fared better than Dogtooth did in terms of nominations and wins. (I think they both won one, but The White Ribbon was SO FUCKING CLOSE to taking cinematography and Dogtooth wasn't close to taking anything except foreign language film... which it did.)

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:45 pm
In brief response to James: you can say whatever you want about me, my opinions, or my work. Last year, Patrick said my presentation looked like shit. That's fine. Given, you could say I responded with an elaborate FUCK YOU to his criticism by doing the exact same presentation two times in a row, but I digress.

I should probably say a little something about the mediocre response to the winners. (Please don't kid yourself: that's what it was until Mark guilted you guys into saying something.)

It bothered me deeply. It actually doesn't matter to me if people love or hate the winners; you guys voted for them! You only have yourselves to blame. I hate that Mila Kunis won for looking pretty; all I can say is, "Well, I didn't vote for her." Still, it doesn't matter. What's more important to me is that we have a system where we picked our nominees and winners, a collective representation of our opinions. The opinions are all fine and dandy, of course, but the system is what drew me to put in hours of work when I should have been studying for midterms.

When people don't comment on the end result and more on the process (a la the Movie Club), I feel (read: I FEEL, which is probably a melodramatic response due to depression) an increasing disconnect from everyone else. If so few people care about this, then why did I do it? If someone else did it, would it be more successful? I wasn't the only one who put in work, either! Ed did a fucking great job of advertising the contest in his signature. He never needed to do that and obviously I didn't ask, but it's great that he did.

In the name of transparency, I am considering handing the ReelViews Oscars over to Ed. I'm certainly not the only person capable of running something, and if you think about it, running the ReelViews Oscars AND Competition seems unfair.

It's incredibly possible that I'm overreacting. Unfortunately, that's a character trait I can't deny having, so as long as you guys want me here, you have to deal with every part of me. In any case, I apologize if this bums anyone out. But it bummed me out. This was around the time when that girl seemed like she didn't want to have anything to do with me. Things build up. I'm fine now.

Lastly, I'm glad a film like Inception can make so many people happy.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Fincher took director. That's pretty cool (he deserved it). I voted Aronofsky but Fincher... that's a good choice.

I love Aronofsky, but I didn't even nominate him. Imho some of his directorial touches (filming from behind a character's head when they're walking, the jerky hand-held photography) took a little away from my enjoyment of the picture.

majoraphasia wrote:
Hawkes should have won Best Supporting Actor and you know it. Bale? I like Christian Bale. You know he's a lead actor, right? He should've win for a lead performance. He didn't deserve the win. Sorry.

Agreed on both counts. I saw just saw The Fighter and was surprised by how much footage Bale has. Marky Mark is the lead, but Bale is more of a co-lead than a supporting actor. Look at the number of scenes that focus on him alone!

majoraphasia wrote:
Kunis! She got the recognition she deserved, if ya ask me. Mila (so... fucking... pretty... oh... wantohaveweekendwithherandshecantwearanypants) brought the sex to Black Swan. She's the reason the movie worked as 'erotic'. My #1 choice.

She got my vote too, but just by default. ZERO of my nominations made it here, so I just went with her. Seriously, no Greta Gerwig? Best thing about Greenberg. No Mia Wasikowska? If memory serves right, Emerson had Wasikowska as his best supporting female of the year. Gerwig won some group cinephile award too (I think it was a Skandie). That made me feel better.

majoraphasia wrote:
Best Art Direction had Inception as the lead. Right. This proves that not enough people saw Enter The Void, the much much much much much much much superior selection. Enter the Void was the most visually spectacular film of 2010. It should have won.

I actually thought TRON looked better than both. I was pretty much alone there though.

majoraphasia wrote:
Although Inception wasn't at all good (and yet it won Best Picture... you guys need to see more movies)

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/?p=9692
http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/?p=9770

JamesKunz wrote:
Fuck me? Better call Giorgos Lanthimos so he can record it in stark white photography and pretend a movie about the incestuous and plot-holed coupling of two Reelviews forum members is about something important. :D

I'd watch it!

JJoshay wrote:
Now for Art Direction: more of you need to Enter the fucking Void! Black Swan looked great, elegant yet utterly unhinged. However, Gaspar Noe went all the way to Peruvian fucking jungle to legally try Ayahuasca so he could put the visuals to screen. How could we disregard a movie that starts off with a fucking DMT trip?!

I've said this before, but I'd like Enter the Void a whole lot more if it didn't set out to intentionally nauseate its audience. There's a lot of brilliant stuff in that film but there's also a lot of stuff that...isn't.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm
Pedro excellent work & I do hope you continue next year. I was actually very excited about the winners and was actually getting a little pissed it was taking so long. I was away on business and only came back yesterday, so:

INCEPTION! YEAHHH!!... My favorite movie wasn't nominated and this was my 2nd favorite so fuck yeah!
I love that two different pictures earned best picture and director two years in a row now. Fincher deserves this award, indeed.

While I did think Eisenberg gave a great performance I would have preferred either James Franco or Colin Firth.

Jenifer Lawrence!

Mila Kunis winning an award for doing nothing is a travesty really.

I also LOVE that both The Social Network and Inception won 6 awards apiece.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:06 pm
I feel I should have voted more for the acting in The Kids Are All Right :(

I don't feel that Enter the Void set out to nauseate its audience so much, its surely much more tame then either of Noe's last two films, I Stand Alone and Irreversible. I honestly thought it to be the director's most assessable film, though the abortion sequence definitely counts as a nauseating one. I just still can't get enough of that movie, what is was accomplishing and how it went about it; all the intricacies of the damned thing, its great.

Pedro: I really like the presentation. The boxes with the titles are very well done and I cannot stress enough how much I love this thread, even if it took Major's guilt tripping to get me to post in it.

I hope the Movie Club is not dead, merely comatose for the moment.

Gkanchan: What was your best movie of the year?

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:21 pm
JJoshay wrote:
I don't feel that Enter the Void set out to nauseate its audience so much, its surely much more tame then either of Noe's last two films, I Stand Alone and Irreversible. I honestly thought it to be the director's most assessable film, though the abortion sequence definitely counts as a nauseating one. I just still can't get enough of that movie, what is was accomplishing and how it went about it; all the intricacies of the damned thing, its great.

I wasn't referring to the content as much as Noe's style of filming. Things like jerking the camera all over the place and some of the sounds he used are meant to discomfort his audience. You'll recall he did the same in Irreversible (although I'll admit that he used it more there). I don't like it. Why would I? He has admitted the he wants us to feel nauseous.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm
Excellent job, Pedro. Cookies and Coke are in order if you're ever in town.

Regardless of how I feel about my picks versus the final winners, my heart sings to see Roger Deakins win something this year.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:05 pm
JJoshay wrote:

Gkanchan: What was your best movie of the year?

Rabbit-Hole Also best actress as well. :)

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 am
A few thoughts, Pedro.

All of our votes resulted in some overall pretty boring nominations (which speaks to the overall lousy year as much as anything, but still). Not complaining about this, but the begging for votes and insistence on people voting for sound editing will turn people off. It just will, and there's nothing wrong with those people. I'm glad there was a swell of votes toward the end, but that's partially why we ended up matching the Academy pretty much spot-on.

One possible (very minor) solution for whoever does this next year: go back to 5 nominees for best pic. Fuck the Academy. Having 10, especially in a bad year, has people searching for stuff and they end up throwing popular stuff/stuff they haven't seen on the end (also, and maybe I'm the only one, but the "vote for stuff even if you haven't seen it!" idea makes me feel vapid). It devalues the process and the worth of a nomination...if something good gets left off, well, that's what makes things interesting, no?

As for the voting...I didn't vote, primarily because I was "eh" toward the nominees and because I didn't want to rank everything. Also because I just didn't, I wasn't trying to make a statement here.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 am
Shade wrote:
A few thoughts, Pedro.

All of our votes resulted in some overall pretty boring nominations (which speaks to the overall lousy year as much as anything, but still). Not complaining about this, but the begging for votes and insistence on people voting for sound editing will turn people off. It just will, and there's nothing wrong with those people. I'm glad there was a swell of votes toward the end, but that's partially why we ended up matching the Academy pretty much spot-on.

One possible (very minor) solution for whoever does this next year: go back to 5 nominees for best pic. Fuck the Academy. Having 10, especially in a bad year, has people searching for stuff and they end up throwing popular stuff/stuff they haven't seen on the end (also, and maybe I'm the only one, but the "vote for stuff even if you haven't seen it!" idea makes me feel vapid). It devalues the process and the worth of a nomination...if something good gets left off, well, that's what makes things interesting, no?

As for the voting...I didn't vote, primarily because I was "eh" toward the nominees and because I didn't want to rank everything. Also because I just didn't, I wasn't trying to make a statement here.

Thank you for your thoughts, Shade, they were very fair.

I'm not sure our nominations were so boring. We, if I may borrow and then slightly modify Ken's vocabulary, flipped the bird to some of the autopilot Academy choices (The Fighter, The King's Speech, The Kids Are All Right, etc.). Is nominating Dogtooth and Enter the Void boring, even in the context of our forum? Yikes, that's depressing. Maybe it is time for me to quit.

My insistence on keeping Sound Editing rather than consolidating it (which, by the way, you don't have to vote for; Ram didn't vote for anything below screenplays) is because it's an integral (and completely different) part of the filmmaking process. If it feels like I'm shoving the distinction down people's throats, please accept my apologies. I just want people to know the distinction, if only so they can drunk-watch the Oscars next year and be like, "Hey, SOUND EDITING, I know what THAT is. *pass out*" It's not about voting for everything; it's about being involved? I guess?

In my defense, I did want to do five nominees for Best Picture (or ten nominees for every category). One or two people ended up overriding that and I said I'd decide later. I think it was Josh who ended up sending me votes for everyone he thought was worthy of a nomination; that was interesting. There are a number of ways we can conduct this thing (for some reason I keep calling it a contest and then I end up deleting the word and calling it something else) and I'm still trying to find the right way to do it. In a way, I don't want to hand the ReelViews Oscars over to someone else until all the kinks have been ironed out. (For fuck's sake, we ended up with The Girlfriend Experience as a nominee last year. Trust me, the few changes I made this year improved the contest quite a bit, at least from a behind-the-scenes perspective.)

In the future, we don't have to rank anything. I'm more than willing to host different suggestions. The up side of ranking is that we don't have enough people to let everyone just vote for one thing. Shit, we could have had fifteen nominees for a given category! It also doesn't work that well when voting for the winners, which is why I tried to switch it around this year.

I think the MAIN problem with the ReelViews Oscars is that it seems like work. If the forum encounters anything that seems like work, they're naturally adverse to it. I can't blame you guys, either. You all have lives. (So do I, but I have far fewer priorities than most of you.) You all come here to get away from work. I might be generalizing a bit here, but I think in general this can be found to be true. OR, maybe people just don't care about the ReelViews Oscars. If that's the case, then we can call this a failed experiment. I'm prepared to go down with the ship, so to speak. I don't want to force people to do something they just don't give a fuck about.

This post is poorly structured and might seem sarcastic in parts, so I apologize if anything ends up lost in translation.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:23 am
Pedro wrote:
My insistence on keeping Sound Editing rather than consolidating it (which, by the way, you don't have to vote for; Ram didn't vote for anything below screenplays) is because it's an integral (and completely different) part of the filmmaking process. If it feels like I'm shoving the distinction down people's throats, please accept my apologies. I just want people to know the distinction, if only so they can drunk-watch the Oscars next year and be like, "Hey, SOUND EDITING, I know what THAT is. *pass out*" It's not about voting for everything; it's about being involved? I guess?

Which I liked Pedro. I did want to learn the difference and I did want to be involved.

Two reasons why I didn't nominate anything below screenplays, 1) time. I was rushing just trying to get the noms I did get in, and 2) I just didn't watch that many "Oscar-worthy" films from last year. I refused to vote for shit I didn't watch. Doesn't make sense to me. If I could show you guys my nominations you'd probably say something the likes of, "Why the hell did he vote with so few films watched." To be honest, it was kind of a concern of mine to vote for only the few that I had watched thinking it might skew the scoring of other more deserving films I did not see that you guys did.

The Pedro wrote:
I think the MAIN problem with the ReelViews Oscars is that it seems like work. If the forum encounters anything that seems like work, they're naturally adverse to it. I can't blame you guys, either. You all have lives. (So do I, but I have far fewer priorities than most of you.) You all come here to get away from work. I might be generalizing a bit here, but I think in general this can be found to be true. OR, maybe people just don't care about the ReelViews Oscars. If that's the case, then we can call this a failed experiment. I'm prepared to go down with the ship, so to speak. I don't want to force people to do something they just don't give a fuck about.

I can only speak for myself, but it did not at all seem like work to me. Maybe I was rushing to get noms in, but that's my life. I love movies. I love learning from you guys. And anything I can do with you fucks to continue with both of those loves I will try to do with the time I have. Plain and simple.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:15 pm
My response to seeing Inception as our top winner was, "Really?" I say that not because I don't necessarily think it's undeserving, but because I got the impression from a lot of posts around here that it-was-good-not-great. I was just happy enough to see something original AND mainstream out there.

Out of the 10 we nominated, I saw four. The top for me...The Social Network. This might change as I get to see the other noms.

brb

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:33 pm
Pedro wrote:
I'm not sure our nominations were so boring. We, if I may borrow and then slightly modify Ken's vocabulary, flipped the bird to some of the autopilot Academy choices (The Fighter, The King's Speech, The Kids Are All Right, etc.). Is nominating Dogtooth and Enter the Void boring, even in the context of our forum? Yikes, that's depressing. Maybe it is time for me to quit.

Alright, perhaps boring was the wrong word. Predictable might be a better one. I'm glad we gave the finger to some of those, but did the King's Speech earn extra hate because of the love it was receiving elsewhere?

It certainly makes me happy and proud that we'd nominate Dogtooth and Enter the Void (although I didn't vote for either). So yeah, boring was the wrong word.

Quote:

I've never thought you were shoving it down my throat, although I suppose I could see someone (probably a douchebag) feeling that way. Additionally, I've never felt obligated in a Pedro's-making-me sense...but as is obvious here, people like you, dude, they like the idea of the RVAAs, and, I dunno...they don't wanna disappoint you, maybe? Which leads to...

Quote:

I can certainly understand how it feels like work for you. Maybe there's a process we can develop (whether it's you or Ed or someone else) so that there's not so much back-end work to be done. I dunno. But as I said above, I don't think anyone feels guilted into doing it by you/Ed/others, but I think there's an element of we admire your enthusiasm and are equally enthusiastic in an idea sense, perhaps not in an execution sense...and so people just don't fill one out because they don't feel like they have a strong opinion on a lot of it. I love talking about this stuff a lot more than I liked filling out my ballot (although again, I'd have felt differently if I'd seen more great movies last year).

All of that said, while I think the methods could be improved, the only way this works is to keep the skeleton of what we've done: which means people need to take the time to e-mail you a list, which takes thought and consideration, but anyone who has time to be on the forums at all has time to do this...let's not kid ourselves here.

I still like the idea and I don't want people to get bummed out about it. Again, I didn't vote mostly out of laziness...if more of my favs had made it in, I would have felt more compelled to vote, I guess. As it stood, the winners/potential winners seemed obvious enough to not inspire me to contribute. Perhaps we need a RVAA prognosticator to speculate on the nominees once they're announced, to add the suspense?

The bottom line with any issue that crops out 'round these parts is that we're a small community. So this sort of thing is never going to explode with numbers. Which is okay. I frequent some other major movie forums, and while I enjoy aspects of that enviornment, it generally amounts to picking fights and dick-measuring. This place is more like the most film-intelligent corner bar in the world, with strong opinions and people who know each others's tastes. All of which is good, but there's elements there that make something like this tough to pull off, maybe.

Overall, the big point here is that this shouldn't feel like work for anyone in a place this small.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 pm
I didn't participate in this because I just simply don't care about any of these films, so it matters little to me which one wins.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 pm
Vexer wrote:
I didn't participate in this because I just simply don't care about any of these films, so it matters little to me which one wins.

That may have been true of the voting phase, but isn't at all true about the nomination process. Did you end up nominating anything? Pedro made it clear that all kinds of films were welcome. In fact, when he was giving a last minute reminder about submitting nominations he accidentally named you twice. That shows the dude really cared about what you had to say, Vex.

Again, no-one was under any obligation to nominate films that critics loved. Hell, I even gave a nomination to Piranha 3D!

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:00 pm
Oh I didn't realize we could've nominated anything because to be honest i didn't really pay much attention to this thread, so I never noticed the reminders.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:15 pm
I meant to drop in and give a "Thanks Pedro!" after this went up, but never did due to general laziness. Sorry. But THANKS PEDRO!

I had no intention of explaining my voting process because I wasn't too upset with anything. I disagree with just about everything that won, but I had the opportunity to voice my opinion, did so, so what's there to be up in arms about? Reelviews has spoken. But, since Mark came in and made us all feel like assholes, here goes:

To those that voted for Inception, I say this: Get Better Taste!

Scott Pilgrim deserved to win for both Music and Adapted Screenplay. And editing for that matter. And Edgar Wright for direction. I'm baffled as to how it was nominated in so many categories and not for BP.

Inception's original script wasn't that good or original (part of me feels silly and like a broken record continuing to rage against that movie. I liked it!).

I did not vote for stuff I didn't see. I find that incredibly stupid. I saw zero foreign films released in 2010. Shame on me.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:25 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2