Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:17 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners! 
Post The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Part 1!

BEST PICTURE
ImageImageImageImage

BEST DIRECTOR
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

BEST WRITING - ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
ImageImage

BEST WRITING - ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
ImageImage

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:56 pm
Post Re: The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Part 2!

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
ImageImage

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
ImageImage

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
ImageImage

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST
ImageImage

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:57 pm
Part 3! Yeah, I formatted things a little differently this year.

BEST ART DIRECTION
ImageImage

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
ImageImage

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
ImageImage

BEST FILM EDITING
ImageImage

BEST MAKE-UP
ImageImage

BEST USE OF MUSIC
ImageImage

BEST SOUND EDITING
ImageImage

BEST SOUND MIXING
ImageImage

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
ImageImage

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 pm
Pedro, once again, thanks for doing this. Love, love, love the presentation.

Thoughts:

* Inception for Best Picture! Cool. I voted for it but am pleasantly surprised that people agreed.

* Eisenberg for Best Actor! This is an even bigger surprise, particularly since most people agreed that Colin Firth was the best thing about The King's Speech.

* Jennifer Lawrence for Best Actress!! WOW! That's a pretty big upset, right? A lot of people love Natalie Portman and she had a wonderful performance.

* Mila Kunis for Supporting Actress!!!!!! Where the hell did that come from? Forgive this sexist post but, she's hot as hell. Is that why she won or do people genuinely think she had a good performance? She wasn't even on my list of nominees (although I might have voted for her...too lazy to check...)

* True Grit for Cinematography is slightly surprising. It was one of the favourites, but I didn't hear a lot of chatter about it. I guess Reelviews is troubled that Roger Deakins has yet to win this award. I am too. Did anyone read that he's switching to digital? I really wonder how that will change his style.

* I'm enjoying the graphic for Let Me In...

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:29 pm
Awesome work, Pedro. Damn cool.

ed_metal_head wrote:
* Mila Kunis for Supporting Actress!!!!!! Where the hell did that come from? Forgive this sexist post but, she's hot as hell. Is that why she won or do people genuinely think she had a good performance? She wasn't even on my list of nominees (although I might have voted for her...too lazy to check...)

Seriously. I can't remember if I voted for her either, but I wished she could have just stood on the stage the entire night of the awards ceremony. She's drop dead gorgeous, a knockout.

ed_metal_head wrote:
* I'm enjoying the graphic for Let Me In...

Me too. Had a good hearty chuckle.

Good winners overall, although there are a couple films that I think should have done better. Despicable Me and How To Train Your Dragon placing over The Illusionist is a shame, but I'll chalk that up to many people not having seen the new Sylvain Chomet film. More people need to check that one out; it's definitely worth the time.

Also, how many people who voted actually saw Biutiful?. Other than a strong central leading performance, it's not really anything that special. The Secret In Their Eyes is a much more memorable and satisfying work.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:42 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Good winners overall, although there are a couple films that I think should have done better. Despicable Me and How To Train Your Dragon placing over The Illusionist is a shame, but I'll chalk that up to many people not having seen the new Sylvain Chomet film. More people need to check that one out; it's definitely worth the time.

I actually didn't rank them. I put the winner first and then did it alphabetically by film. Maybe I should have done it other way. Oops.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:17 pm
Pedro wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

I actually didn't rank them. I put the winner first and then did it alphabetically by film. Maybe I should have done it other way. Oops.

Ah, well in that case, no worries then.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 pm
Director

Wow, I think that all of my picks for major categories lost, except Fincher. Given the major love for Rapace, I'm a bit surprised that she lost. Apparently this voting body has a bias toward younger performers: three of the four winners were under 30.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm
Thanks, Pedro, you did a fantastic job. Any chance of letting us know how many voters participated?

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:50 am
Producer

Can somebody please tell me what is so special about Mila Kunis's performance in Black Swan? Barbara Hershey was much better in that movie and would have been a much better choice IMO.

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World is definitely one of the most overrated movies of 2010. Don't get the love for that movie at all. I hated the video game inspired fight scenes. Talk about a headache of a movie! And an eyesore.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:04 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
Also, how many people who voted actually saw Biutiful?. Other than a strong central leading performance, it's not really anything that special. The Secret In Their Eyes is a much more memorable and satisfying work.

I've been asking about Biutiful since it's been nominated mostly because I've heard no opinions about it on the forum. In fact, your assertion that it isn't "anything that special" is the first time I've heard anything about it.

Unke wrote:
Thanks, Pedro, you did a fantastic job. Any chance of letting us know how many voters participated?

I'd also like to know this, if possible.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, where there any other interesting statistics? For instance, you teased that one of Black Swan's wins was a close race. Kunis?

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:22 pm
Let's see if I can get to most of the queries.

1. I cannot provide many interesting statistics. I deleted all the PMs, but I received more nominee votes than winner votes. It wasn't by much; not worth complaining about.

2. Kunis was close. (I wish she wasn't nominated. Much as I loved her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, she was a walking San Francisco stereotype in Black Swan.) Dale Dickey was in second place. We could have witnessed Winter's Bone taking three ReelViews Oscars, because John Hawkes almost beat Christian Bale (but not really). But yeah, Black Swan cleaned up in the make-up department. I almost wanted to see a goose egg for Black Swan, because fourteen nominations and zero wins is such a dubious distinction.

3. I saw Biutiful and thought it was fine. My mother said, "I liked that Javi was a good father," which I guess encapsulates my feelings regarding the film. It occasionally lapses into directorial overload when it doesn't need to, and also gets a little too melodramatic for my taste at times. It's not bad, in that it's earnest and displays formal skill.

4. I'm also surprised that Rapace lost. I guess people really connected with Lawrence's performance, which is fantastic. Plus, she's so fucking different in real life. She's something of a really hot model, and one of the nicest people in the world.

5. I'd say that in general, there was a bias for younger fare, not just with the performances. (Bale's still young, you know, just not as young as the other winners in the acting categories.) True Grit is the only film that won that aimed for an older demographic (i.e. fans of classical, John Ford type westerns).

6. Inception and The Social Network were neck and neck the entire time for Best Picture. I felt the tension in counting the damn ballots. Wut.

7. I thought Aronofsky was going to win for a while because he was winning in the beginning. But then it was Fincher in first, Fincher, Fincher, Fincher, NOLAN, NOLAN, more Fincher.

8. I'm glad people enjoyed the graphic for Let Me In. I couldn't find an accurate title design, so I said the equivalent of "fuck it" and made my own for gits and shiggles.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:52 pm
Director

Couldn't you have counted my negative votes toward Exit...? I hated that stupid film :evil: :evil: :evil:

Perhaps next year someone could write a php script that would automatically tabulate it and convert it into SQL tables that could then be put into R? It'd be front-end intensive in terms of workload, but it'd make the counting process much easier and simpler, and it would allow for greater analysis. Also, then you could potentially do some other form of voting, such as ranked order voting, that might yield a more accurate result. Supposedly range voting is supposed to be the most accurate.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:53 pm
Not just "thanks, Pedro" but "fuck... beautiful, Pedro".

Fuck. Beautiful, Pedro. Great presentation and, my, the work... great. And it deserves more than one page of comments from the participants.

--

I was hoping that Inception wouldn't win. And yet it won. I thought there were 9 better films on the list but clearly I was in a minority. My vote was for Dogtooth, of course. My second choice was Enter The Void. Third? Blue Valentine.

Fincher took director. That's pretty cool (he deserved it). I voted Aronofsky but Fincher... that's a good choice.

I think Eisenberg was a brilliant win for Best Actor, personally. I voted Rahim but believe Eisenberg was just as excellent a winner.

Jennifer Lawrence? You people rule! My #1 pick and she won.

Hawkes should have won Best Supporting Actor and you know it. Bale? I like Christian Bale. You know he's a lead actor, right? He should've win for a lead performance. He didn't deserve the win. Sorry.

Kunis! She got the recognition she deserved, if ya ask me. Mila (so... fucking... pretty... oh... wantohaveweekendwithherandshecantwearanypants) brought the sex to Black Swan. She's the reason the movie worked as 'erotic'. My #1 choice. Olivia Williams was my #2. That sounds like a poop joke but, as you already know, only Ken makes those.

Social Network got Best Adapted. I thought Scott Pilgrim was the superior script.

Inception for Best Original. Not my pick but not a bad choice. I thought Black Swan had a better script but, well, whatever. I would have been happy with Black Swan or Inception. Inception won. The other three weren't really in the running.

Toy Story 3
. Of course. Was there any competition? No.

Exit
took Best Doc! I agree with this. A Film Unfinished was my second choice.

Dogtooth took Best Non-Englishy! Good! FUCK YOU, KUNZ! Not really. I thought it was the best film of the year but will take the consolation of 'best non-englishy'.

And: please. Most of the people who voted for Biutiful didn't actually see Biutiful. A total fraud nomination. You people should see more subtitled movies, for chrissakes. Lame.

Best Ensemble is the only category I don't care about. At all.

Best Art Direction had Inception as the lead. Right. This proves that not enough people saw Enter The Void, the much much much much much much much superior selection. Enter the Void was the most visually spectacular film of 2010. It should have won.

Cinematography went to Deakins. For political reasons I agree: Deakins should fucking win already. I mean: really. Come on. The people of Reelviews actually know this so why not the fucking Academy? Christ. I voted Enter The Void (for reasons already stated) but, in light of the fact that Deakins lost on Oscar night (stupid), I'm glad he won. You guys are better than The Academy.

Costume Design? I arbitrarily picked King's Speech but woulda been okay with This Movie Features Only Naked People. I didn't really care.

Editing goes to Social Network? I totally had Inception figured as the winner. Weird.

Make-up went to Black Swan, the correct choice.

Music went to The Social Network. 'sokay. Not my choice (Scott Pilgrim) but the score was good. Glad it won the Oscar despite Black Swan actually deserving the award. I didn't watch the Awards. Did you? You probably did. Did Trent Reznor give a good speech? I was hoping he'd give memorable speech.

Both sound categories went to Inception. I think we all just nominated four other movies while giving Inception its due. That movie had these categories locked from the get-go.

Inception also took Best Visual Effects. I sort of like this choice while sticking by my #1 pick of Enter The Void, a movie with visual flourish to spare. Although Inception wasn't at all good (and yet it won Best Picture... you guys need to see more movies) it did have that "Rotating Hallway" sequence. That was brilliant. We all agree. Enter The Void was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr superior despite my inability to actually "star" the movie. (It's somewhere between **1/2 and ****. I refuse to star this movie. Stars don't apply to Enter The Void. I bought it. Does that mean anything? Maybe.)

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:19 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
Dogtooth took Best Non-Englishy! Good! FUCK YOU, KUNZ! Not really. I thought it was the best film of the year but will take the consolation of 'best non-englishy'.

Fuck me? Better call Giorgos Lanthimos so he can record it in stark white photography and pretend a movie about the incestuous and plot-holed coupling of two Reelviews forum members is about something important. :D

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Fuck me? Better call Giorgos Lanthimos so he can record it in stark white photography and pretend a movie about the incestuous and plot-holed coupling of two Reelviews forum members is about something important. :D

You're a funny dude, my friend. I liked your post.

What'd you pick for the win, Jamesy? Seriously. What did people vote for? Kunz! What'd you vote for? Why didn't people talk about what they wanted to win?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:20 pm
YEAH! What the hell, guys?

Pedro didn't do this because it was good for his health, you know.

Or maybe it was good for his health.

But c'mon: surely the voters have something to say? Why they voted THIS or why they were disappointed THAT won?

The majority voted Inception as the best film of 2010! That means something! We didn't vote The King's Speech for Best Film, Best Actor, Best Virtually Everything (which it won for Best Oscary Academy Award)... what do people think of our winners> I think we did a great job this year! FUCK! Hands together, people!

It took time on your end to nominate and elect the winners. Pedro took his own time to make this happen. I'm disappointed! Come on, guys... these winners aren't some arbitrary bullshit but what the people of Reelviews actually loved. Less than 20 responses? DAMN IT! Give me some confidence before tomorrow, ya know? I can name at least 20 different people that have an opinion. Speak up!

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:34 pm
And I will Mark...

Just as soon as I have more time to post than when on the shitter. My legs are starting to fall asleep.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 pm
Critic

Well to be honest Mark I figured people were tired of my negativism and it would look like I was saying mean things about Pedro, who put a lot of effort into this. But since I'm prompted...

I can't believe the forum voted for fucking Inception. I went for Black Swan and was pretty sure it would win. Inception? Really guys?

And then Black Swan randomly won in the one category I really felt it DIDN'T deserve--Best Supporting Actress. Mila Kunis is adequate in the role, but not transcendent.

I'm totally fine with Bale and the Social Network. As well I should be, as I voted for them. Go, forum members! The actor/actress was fine too, even though I wanted Natalie Portman. For the record, however, I would rather do Jennifer Lawrence. So there's that.

Other than that I'm mainly fine. I really would have liked Libatique for cinematography though. I think making a ballet studio look sinister is more impressive than making the west look rugged. But that's a minor quibble.

Mainly, I'm pretty proud of the forum members. Though, obviously Saving Private Ryan should have won Best Picture.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 pm
ram1312 wrote:
And I will Mark...

Just as soon as I have more time to post than when on the shitter. My legs are starting to fall asleep.

You know you're exempt from any of my broad-brush statements. We leave a place set for you at the dinner table, man. Come on. Ram1312 does and The Majoraphasia abides. You know this.

JamesKunz wrote:
I can't believe
the forum voted for fucking Inception. I went for Black Swan and was
pretty sure it would win. Inception? Really guys?

RIGHT!??!??!?!?!? I felt the same damned way! Black Swan, legitimately one of the ten best of the year, had to actually win. InFUCKINGCEPTION!?!?!?!FGASDFGASDF!!!!!! They kept on saying "subconscious" when they obviously meant "unconscious"!!!!! FUCK! Inception was the least of the ten nominees, easy. Good script, good effects... mediocre product.

Quote:
And then Black Swan randomly won in the one category I really felt it DIDN'T deserve--Best Supporting Actress. Mila Kunis is adequate in the role, but not transcendent.

It's unclear to me. I'd really, really really really like to fuck her. I know that's shameful but... well... I'd like to fuck her. She's so fucking hot that I... man, I'd love to fuck her. Just fuck the shit out of her. Right the fuck out of her. I'm not joking.

Is this why I voted for her? Maybe. Totally unclear. Fuck the holy living Jesus H. Dogbiscuits right out her. And not "we made love" but "FUCK! FUCKKASDFJASDFJASKLDFJQWLADFLASKJDFKAJSDFKJASDFJASLKDJFLASKJDF!" Christ. Valid reason? I dunno. That I managed to write this WITHOUT writing anything I would consider offensive... good job, me.

Quote:
I'm totally fine with Bale and the Social Network. As well I should be, as I voted for them. Go, forum members! The actor/actress was fine too, even though I wanted Natalie Portman. For the record, however, I would rather do Jennifer Lawrence. So there's that.

Yeah? What the hell. I'd like to fuck Natalie Portman, too. Pregnant? With some choreographer's kid? Dont. Care.

Alright. I thought Bale was a tad Bugs Bunnyish-in The Fighter. Maybe I'm wrong. Portman did an excellent job in a tough role. Not exactly naturalism but a good pick for Best Actress. Other than Bullock, has there been an undeserving Best Actress? Since Julia Roberts? Because I forgot she won against Ellen Burstyn and that was so FUCKING RIDICULOUS. Really? Julia? Over Ellen Burstyn?

Quote:
Other than that I'm mainly fine. I really would have liked Libatique for cinematography though. I think making a ballet studio look sinister is more impressive than making the west look rugged. But that's a minor quibble.

You're probably right. Libatique has had a great career (and the dude's young, too...) and should have won for Requiem way back in 2000. My Oscar gripes go way back.

Quote:
Mainly, I'm pretty proud of the forum members.

Definitely. Good work, guys. I wish this thread was on page 4 but... what? This thread should be on page 4. GET TO COMMENTING, you little bitches.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:41 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next