What's better--Alien or Aliens? 

Which is better?
Alien (1979) 43%  43%  [ 12 ]
Aliens (1986) 57%  57%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 28

What's better--Alien or Aliens? 
Critic

Post What's better--Alien or Aliens?
I think both are masterful films, at the pinnacle of their respective genres: Alien is a superior horror film, and Aliens is the best action movie ever made. I'm happy to love them both, but since this is what the internet is for, let's vote.

What's the better film?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 pm
Post Re: What's better--Alien or Aliens?
Both of them are in my Top 40 but I saw Aliens first so that's why I like Aliens more than Alien

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:56 pm
Aliens; it's relentlessness is intoxicating. Both are among my favorite films of all time however.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:58 pm
Critic

PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Aliens; it's relentlessness is intoxicating. Both are among my favorite films of all time however.

Yeah it's like picking between a great Ribeye and a great New York Strip--you're getting an amazing meal either way. And with movies you don't have to pay over 40 dollars!

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm
I'm perturbed by the fact that I cannot vote more than once for Alien. My preference for this film cannot be justified by a single click.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 pm
Can there be a more difficult poll question?

I love both immensely and for different reasons, but if you're gonna yank on my balls for a decision...fuck...

Aliens.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm
Assistant Director

ram1312 wrote:
Can there be a more difficult poll question?

I love both immensely and for different reasons, but if you're gonna yank on my balls for a decision...fuck...

Aliens.

In many ways, this is an unfair comparison. Although they are tightly linked, they're altogether different movies. "Alien" was like a slasher movie, except that instead of a knife-wielding psychopath you have a terrifying monster. "Aliens" is like a summer action movie with a large dose of horror.

"Alien" was definately a scary movie, and Ridley Scott's direction was superb (it's a little shocking that this is the same man who would go on to give us radically different movies like "Gladiator" and "Body of Lies." But "Aliens" is superbly gels two genres for a unique and terrifying film.

I'd have to go with Aliens as being a better film, although it's very close.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
In many ways, this is an unfair comparison. Although they are tightly linked, they're altogether different movies. "Alien" was like a slasher movie, except that instead of a knife-wielding psychopath you have a terrifying monster. "Aliens" is like a summer action movie with a large dose of horror.

Agreed. The two films are drastically different in terms of pretty much everything aside from Ripley and the actual alien, or aliens. Still, that's also what makes this kind of comparison kind of fun. Unless your Ed, you likely think both movies are great, but realize they really couldn't be more different for sequels.

I went with Alien because I like the intimate, claustrophobic feeling it creates. To this day when I watch it, I still get legitimately scared. That's incredibly rare.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:48 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
I went with Alien because I like the intimate, claustrophobic feeling it creates.

Pretty much my rationale as well. I love the slow set-up of the first hour, where the world and characters are established and that feeling of unavoidable dread continually rises. This is something that so few horror films manage to do successfully, if they even attempt it at all (The Descent and The House of the Devil are really the only two modern ones that succeed in this area, and both of those films fail to measure up to their terrific set-ups).

Aliens is, without a doubt, one of the best action films ever made, but to be honest I've never really thought much of the final climactic battle, with Ripley in the machine battling the alien. It always felt too cheesy and over-the-top in comparison with the rest of the film.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:17 pm
Director

PR0METHEU5 wrote:

I agree.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:32 pm
Producer

Alien - 6/10
Aliens - 10/10

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:18 am
Critic

ilovemovies wrote:
Alien - 6/10
Aliens - 10/10

Whoa dude....you gave Alien a mixed recommendation? What gives?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:40 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Alien - 6/10
Aliens - 10/10

*faints*

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 pm
Alien was damn good suspenseful sci-fi/horror flick; Aliens on the other hand is an excellent (I'm talking near-perfect) suspenseful sci-fi/action flick. It's as if Ridley Scott laid the foundation and James Cameron built the house!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:36 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Alien - 6/10
Aliens - 10/10

I liked the last 30 minutes but it takes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to get there. Just found the movie to be a bit on the dull side until the third act.

I don't mind slow burn thrillers. One False Move is a movie that comes to mind that takes it time to build up to an explosive climax that I love. But Alien just didn't do it for me.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:14 am
Critic

ilovemovies wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Alien - 6/10
Aliens - 10/10

I liked the last 30 minutes but it takes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to get there. Just found the movie to be a bit on the dull side until the third act.

I don't mind slow burn thrillers. One False Move is a movie that comes to mind that takes it time to build up to an explosive climax that I love. But Alien just didn't do it for me.

Well the first act of Alien certainly builds up, but you don't find the second act interesting? What with John Hurt and, you know, the most famous scene (arguably) in all of horror cinema? Or Dallas in the vents?

Plus name me a great horror film that doesn't have an extended set-up. They're essential to the film.

Oh and while we're at it, do you know what movie also has a protracted set-up? ALIENS!

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:20 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Flip a coin. They're both damn near perfect for what they are.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:24 pm