Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 am

February 26, 2011: "Superbowl for Women" 
Post Re: February 26, 2011: "Superbowl for Women"
Dragonbeard wrote:
Something does bother me about these awards and the BAFTAs... why was 'Alice In Wonderland' in the running? I was sure the movie is far too old to still be eligible for nominations? Surely it would have been nominated last year?

No, I think the deadline is either the end of December or beginning of January. AiC was released in March

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:
Something does bother me about these awards and the BAFTAs... why was 'Alice In Wonderland' in the running? I was sure the movie is far too old to still be eligible for nominations? Surely it would have been nominated last year?

No, I think the deadline is either the end of December or beginning of January. AiC was released in March

It's the calendar year - Jan 1 through Dec 31. Things get murky around the end of the year with limited releases in NY/LA of films that go wide in January, but ALICE was clearly a 2010 film.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

It's the calendar year - Jan 1 through Dec 31. Things get murky around the end of the year with limited releases in NY/LA of films that go wide in January, but ALICE was clearly a 2010 film.

It came out in February 2010 and so I assumed anything pre-previous Oscars wouldn't be included in 2011. So am I right in surmising that 2011 covers ALL movies released in 2010 and then 2012 will cover what is released in 2011?

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:55 pm
I didn't appreciate your sexist title for the commentary. Even if it was meant in good humor, I'm disappointed that you would resort to cheap, gendered shots like that.

By the way, I'm a woman with no interest at all in the Oscars, not its fashion, not reading about the parties afterwards, or the movies which won. I used to get infuriated by statements like these, but I'm so used to them by now that I only feel disappointed when intelligent guys like you fall back on them.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 pm
Phone call for irony. Does anybody know where irony is? Irony to the front desk, please.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:32 am
Ken wrote:
Phone call for irony. Does anybody know where irony is? Irony to the front desk, please.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/R ... ion_36.jpg

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm