Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
WE'RE ALL GOING ON A EUROPA LEAGUE SUMMER HOLIDAY!!

The Blues win their first trophy in 136 years (or 48 years if you include the fledgling League Cup win in 1963) and now they're going to Europe! KEEP RIGHT ON!!

Yes, over the moon. Disappointed I couldn't be there, but my brother-in-law (the Brummie) was. I think it almost ranks above the birth of his daughter as the best day in his life. His 78-year-old uncle can now die happy.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:38 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Don't watch any comedy films this year because you can just watch the Arsenal defence and laugh yourself silly.

I'm off to the pub after work to watch Man Utd vs Chelsea. Can't wait!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 am

Wish I hadn't bothered!

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:40 am
^ I have to say that those were the two funniest back-to-back posts I've read. Sorry, friendo, but most of the league was happy about that loss. It definitely opens up the title race for an Arsenal or even a Man City to pounce. A pity that it was so poorly refereed though. I think the refs get a lot of unfair abuse but that game was an example of the ref affecting the outcome.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:07 pm

At half-time, I genuinely thought we'd win. Unfortunately, some slack defending from Evra and a verysoft penelty robbed us. We may not have deserved to win after 90 minutes, but we shouldn't have lost.

Arsenal, Marsaille and Liverpool all coming up within the next 9 days.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:16 am

Beaten 3-1 by Liverpool today. Oh dear. It feels like a long time ago that we were unbeaten and looking like we may cruise the league. We're yet again proving that a lack of spark in midfield is costing us. Van der Vaart or Ozil would've been perfect. Chris Smalling is going to be fantastic though. He's already showing a lot of promise.

Arsenal dropping points yesterday could have let us off the hook though.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 pm

It's been a poor couple of weeks for Arsenal.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:28 am
Arron wrote:
It's been a poor couple of weeks for Arsenal.

That's a massive understatement. They've gone from challenging for four trophies to barely challenging for one. Man Utd have given them several opportunities to close the gap but at this point things aren't looking good for them. Consecutive draws isn't going to get the job done when you're chasing a title.

Chelsea are kind of back in it too, huh? They're 6 points behind if they win their game in hand and still need to go to Old Trafford. If they can win at Man U (no easy feat to win there) they'd be just 3 points behind. Of course, they need to win all those games first.

Torres has looked ineffectual so far (while his replacement, Luis Suarez has looked really dangerous) but I'm loving David Luiz. I had seen a little of him in the Champions League but he's been hugely impressive for Chelsea. So far he looks better than John Terry (who I always found a little overrated).

I kind of avoided this thread after the last set of Champions League games. That Bayern/Inter game was attractive from an attacking point of view but the result was very difficult to swallow. Bayern will go trophy-less this season and have to fight to make the Champions League next year.

That Bundesliga table is still unreal anyway. Wolfsburg (who won the title two years ago) is in the relegation zone and might go down. Hard to believe that a club with so much money and so many big name signings would even be in the bottom half of the table. Ditto for Schalke, Bremen and Stuttgart. Most of those teams were supposed to contend for trophies, not worry about the drop.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:02 pm
This new zine/journal looks to be amazing. Just downloaded Issue Zero for $5.02.

http://www.theblizzard.co.uk/

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:46 am
As an Arsenal fan I'm in a quandry

2nd is better than last year - but winless sill hurts

That said 2nd on current form is no slam dunk

Spurs and Schalke had differnt results today. can't wait for Barca and Man U vs Chelsea tomorrow

Rob

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:58 am

The last time I was excited about us playing Chelsea, it ended in bitter disappointment. I hope we have Rooney fit tonight. He was fantastic at the weekend.

Schalke with a hugely surprising result last night. The reigning champions are surely out now.

Spurs would've fared better if Crouch hadn't been sent off and playing most of the game with 10 men. They're saying they're still in it and can get a result at White Hart Lane. Whilst I don't doubt that Spurs could potentially beat Real at home, they're certainly not going to score four.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:37 am
Arron wrote:
The last time I was excited about us playing Chelsea, it ended in bitter disappointment. I hope we have Rooney fit tonight. He was fantastic at the weekend.

Schalke with a hugely surprising result last night. The reigning champions are surely out now.

Spurs would've fared better if Crouch hadn't been sent off and playing most of the game with 10 men. They're saying they're still in it and can get a result at White Hart Lane. Whilst I don't doubt that Spurs could potentially beat Real at home, they're certainly not going to score four.

They may score 4 but their defense will not stop Real scoring. One goal and Spurs need 6!
Should be a fun game for the neutral.

I do wonder if Shakter can surprise Barca tonight. Nobody likes going there and they may be without Messi

I'll be watching Man Utd for sure. That game is hard to call. I'll be supporting Chelsea as basically i cheer on anyone when United are playing.

Rob

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 am
Spurs and Inter Milan are both out of the competition. If either of them advances it will be the greatest comeback in champion's league history, but it's not going to happen.

I'm pulling strong for Shaktar today mostly because I'm anti-Barca (and anti-Real too) but I doubt that they can pull off the upset. Still, if a German team that was fighting relegation most season can score 5 against the defending champions then I suppose anything can happen...

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Work have entered me to win a ticket for Man Utd vs Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday. I'm very excited.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 am
Anyone following the premiership?

Sad to say as an Arsenal fan, the title is all but over. I believe in miracles, but.....

More interesting is relegation.

Which 3 teams do you think are going down?

Rob

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 am
Arron wrote:
Work have entered me to win a ticket for Man Utd vs Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday. I'm very excited.

Good luck on that one. maybe Chelsea will finally come out from under their shell and attack a team and maybe the manager will be allowed to pick the team

Rob

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:10 am

Robert Holloway wrote:
Anyone following the premiership?

Sad to say as an Arsenal fan, the title is all but over. I believe in miracles, but.....

More interesting is relegation.

Which 3 teams do you think are going down?

Rob

It's a strange season. Only 10 points seperate bottom from 7th. Realistically, there are a good 12 teams that could be relegated. I think Wigan will go down. They rely too much on one or two players and will end up having to sell N'Zogbia in the summer, amongst others. I also think Wolves will go down along with Blackpool. I'd love Ian Holloway to still be in the Premier League, he really makes me laugh.

It must be hard for these teams, as they get promoted to the Premier League, they'll have one or two stand out players who attract a lot of attention from other teams. When they get relegated, those players will be approached by bigger clubs. The team relegated need the cash, but will also need the players if they're to stand any chance of staying up. Will a player who's just had a good year in the league want to go play in the Championship, being paid less per week and playing lesser teams? I doubt it. Wigan will have to sell Rodallega. Blackpool will have to sell Adam. Wolves will have to sell Jarvis. All will get a tidy amount for these players though.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:42 am
I just want West Ham to stay up. Avram Grant was a slipped/missed penalty away from winning the Champions League with Chelsea. Jose "The Special One" never even got that team to the final. You really wonder how history would have remembered Grant had he won it.

The real reason I want them to stay up is to rub it in the face of the owners. The West Ham owners are a bunch of douches and they more or less had a deal with MON in place to replace Grant. The BBC even reported that Grant had managed his last game. Even Grant made a lap of honour around the stadium thanking the supporters. In the end MON realised the situation he was getting himself into and Grant stuck around.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Thomas Hitzlsperger aka The Hammer. The Hammer playing for The Hammers. It doesn't get more fitting than that in football*.

* actually Wolfgang Wolf managing Wolfsburg was the most fitting thing ever. Sadly, he got fired.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:05 pm
Arron wrote:
It's a strange season. Only 10 points seperate bottom from 7th. Realistically, there are a good 12 teams that could be relegated. I think Wigan will go down. They rely too much on one or two players and will end up having to sell N'Zogbia in the summer, amongst others. I also think Wolves will go down along with Blackpool. I'd love Ian Holloway to still be in the Premier League, he really makes me laugh.

It must be hard for these teams, as they get promoted to the Premier League, they'll have one or two stand out players who attract a lot of attention from other teams. When they get relegated, those players will be approached by bigger clubs. The team relegated need the cash, but will also need the players if they're to stand any chance of staying up. Will a player who's just had a good year in the league want to go play in the Championship, being paid less per week and playing lesser teams? I doubt it. Wigan will have to sell Rodallega. Blackpool will have to sell Adam. Wolves will have to sell Jarvis. All will get a tidy amount for these players though.

Aaron

I agree with you on Wigan
I'll add Blackpool (though i hope they survive)
And offer Blackburn (despite their result last week)
Mick's experience will keep Wolves up -0 they polay good stuff
West Ham are playing well
WBA have been remarkable since Roy arrived

Fascinating season
Rob

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:53 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I just want West Ham to stay up. Avram Grant was a slipped/missed penalty away from winning the Champions League with Chelsea. Jose "The Special One" never even got that team to the final. You really wonder how history would have remembered Grant had he won it.

The real reason I want them to stay up is to rub it in the face of the owners. The West Ham owners are a bunch of douches and they more or less had a deal with MON in place to replace Grant. The BBC even reported that Grant had managed his last game. Even Grant made a lap of honour around the stadium thanking the supporters. In the end MON realised the situation he was getting himself into and Grant stuck around.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Thomas Hitzlsperger aka The Hammer. The Hammer playing for The Hammers. It doesn't get more fitting than that in football*.

* actually Wolfgang Wolf managing Wolfsburg was the most fitting thing ever. Sadly, he got fired.

Ed, I so agree
I kind of like Avram
Rob

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:53 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next