Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
pink wrote:
Ooooh, i just saw this. I'm new here, joined about a week back. I mean, new to the forum. But I've been following ReelViews for 5-6 years now. Even read his novels :D .

So, I'm Roshni, a Computer Science grad student from NYC. Currently into game development. I adoooore watching movies, and love discussing them. My all time favourite movie is LOTR, which I've probably watched like 15 times :lol: . Other faves include My Fair Lady, His Girl Friday, Princess Bride, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 1, Intolerable Cruelty, etc etc. Recently, I liked Scott Pilgrim, How to train a Dragon, and Stieg Larsson's Trilogy.

Looking forward!

~Rosh

Hello, pink! I've been pretty optimistic about the new ones sticking since Alexander James and firefly haven't been warded away yet. Hope you're the same!

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:30 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Hello, pink! I've been pretty optimistic about the new ones sticking since Alexander James and firefly haven't been warded away yet. Hope you're the same!

AHAHHAHHAA depend on it ;)

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pedro wrote:

I've been pretty optimistic about the new ones sticking since Alexander James and firefly haven't been warded away yet.

I'll be here until the end of this semester or until I completely lose interest in the discussions. Whichever comes first.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi I'm Arron. I'm 24 and live in Leeds, UK.

After reading the film reviews for some months, I've only just noticed there's a forum to go with them, so I thought I'd join for something to do and something else to read on a boring day at work.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:27 pm
Hello,

I'm Jeremy.

I'm a graduate of SUNY Oneonta (Degree: Philosophy, Minor: Math)

Favorite Movies would include: Fight Club, Watchmen, Lord of the Rings, Black Snake Moan, American Beauty, Contact, The Hours, Harry Potter Series, particularly Prisoner of Askaban and Order of the Phoenix

Favorite Authors/Books: Barbara Kingsolver, Wendell Berry, Bruce Coville, Roald Dahl, Harry Potter Series, His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman, Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk

-Jeremy

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:22 am
Arron wrote:

After reading the film reviews for some months, I've only just noticed there's a forum to go with them, so I thought I'd join for something to do and something else to read on a boring day at work.

Welcome, Arron. I think you'll fit in nicely. A lot of the posters seem to be here while at work. That's why the weekends are typically quieter.

thered47 wrote:
Hello,

I'm Jeremy.

I'm a graduate of SUNY Oneonta (Degree: Philosophy, Minor: Math)

Favorite Movies would include: Fight Club, Watchmen, Lord of the Rings, Black Snake Moan, American Beauty, Contact, The Hours, Harry Potter Series, particularly Prisoner of Askaban and Order of the Phoenix

Favorite Authors/Books: Barbara Kingsolver, Wendell Berry, Bruce Coville, Roald Dahl, Harry Potter Series, His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman, Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk

-Jeremy

An official introduction deserves an official welcome, so welcome! We share a few favourite films. Except for Watchmen. Bleh! This snob prefers the comic ;)

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:39 pm
Critic

Arron wrote:

Leeds eh? I've seen movies so I know the North of England is a bleak industrial wasteland where hope goes to die. Please don't kill yourself

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Arron wrote:

Leeds eh? I've seen movies so I know the North of England is a bleak industrial wasteland where hope goes to die. Please don't kill yourself

Have you seen The Damned United? Either of you...

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:02 am

I've still not seen The Damned United. My dad's a big Leeds United fan, so I'm sure he'll have it somewhere. I might even watch it tonight after work.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:14 am
Gaffer

Hm,

I have been registered at the forum for some time ( I've just checked almost one year), but never actually introduced myself.
I read the forum from time to to time, but I am not posting much. I hope it will change in the following period.

I am Stefan , 35 from Macedonia. For those not familiar it is somewhere in the middle of the Balkan Region. Married with one kid. I used to go to theater almost every week.
Now with marriage and my kid, I make it 5 times per year :lol: :lol: , but on the contrary I much more watch movies on DVD. So 2-3 per week is usually a standard.

I have been reading James's site for some 9 years now and I read almost all of the reviews. I don't always agree with his opinion but very rarely I have complitely oposite opinion about films ( for ex. if he gave ****, it never happens that I don;t like the film at all).

As for favourite movies I could list many . If I have to chose on it will be probably 2001: Space Odyssey .

For the movie I really like for some uknown reason it is absolutely The Usual Suspects.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:40 am
Critic

SnowKing wrote:
Hm,

I have been registered at the forum for some time ( I've just checked almost one year), but never actually introduced myself.
I read the forum from time to to time, but I am not posting much. I hope it will change in the following period.

I am Stefan , 35 from Macedonia. For those not familiar it is somewhere in the middle of the Balkan Region. Married with one kid. I used to go to theater almost every week.
Now with marriage and my kid, I make it 5 times per year :lol: :lol: , but on the contrary I much more watch movies on DVD. So 2-3 per week is usually a standard.

I have been reading James's site for some 9 years now and I read almost all of the reviews. I don't always agree with his opinion but very rarely I have complitely oposite opinion about films ( for ex. if he gave ****, it never happens that I don;t like the film at all).

As for favourite movies I could list many . If I have to chose on it will be probably 2001: Space Odyssey .

For the movie I really like for some uknown reason it is absolutely The Usual Suspects.

Macedonia, eh? That's interesting. Definitely makes you unique here. In any event, welcome to the forum

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:34 am
JamesKunz wrote:
SnowKing wrote:
Hm,

Macedonia, eh? That's interesting. Definitely makes you unique here. In any event, welcome to the forum

And he's a father. Few of those out here...from what I've read. Word of advice SnowKing...if you want to watch the movies you want to watch, and more of them, don't have more kids. Otherwise, all you'll have is offspring to be extremely proud and impressed by. Seriously, they're great. :D

Welcome!

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 pm
Hello Everyone!

I'm Jessa, AKA MimixRose. My boyfriend, Phil (Evenflow8112) recommended this forum to me as a way to get away from discussing film with all of the idiots on IMDB.

I'm a Musical Theatre major going into my second semester at Rockford College. 18 years old. Born in Florida, and raised in New Jersey five minutes from the Holland Tunnel. Theatre is my livelihood. I've been dyeing my hair since I was 9 years old, though for the last couple of years I've had plain normal dark brown hair.

I've met a ton of celebrities, including Phil's new man-crush, Alan Cumming. haha. I'm also distantly related to Irene Ryan of Beverly Hillbillies fame.

Remember the bridge they blew up in the painfully hard-to-watch Steven Spielberg version of War of the Worlds? I live within walking distance of that bridge.

I'm an avid Rocky Horror Picture Show fan, and next summer I will be joining my local midnight cast, playing the role of Magenta. But I've been doing Rocky, going to midnight shows and dressing up since I was 7. I've written my own callback script and have the Rocky script memorized. I'm kind of obsessed. XD Wait till I get to dress Phil up as Brad. haha.

Other favorite films include Some Like It Hot, Pan's Labyrinth, Life is Beautiful, and The Who's Tommy.

Phil wants me to write that he's the greatest man ever. <3 Which he is. XD

K. :)

Edit: Oh, and I style wigs. lol.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:39 pm
Wait.

So Phil is back and he's brought his new lady friend with him?

Weird. And possibly hilarious. Welcome, Jessa!

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:58 pm
What can I say? I'm a ham. I'm glad she's very goy about her food :)

P.S. - Yes, I am back. And yes, Mark was involved. No money was offered, however, and further, no clothing was removed. I remain stunned and slightly skeptical of my own story.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:01 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

P.S. - Yes, I am back. And yes, Mark was involved. No money was offered, however, and further, no clothing was removed. I remain stunned and slightly skeptical of my own story.

Let's just leave it at that. I'm the one slightly skeptical of your story.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:13 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Hahaha. I got that. <3

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 pm
MimixRose wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I'm Jessa, AKA MimixRose. My boyfriend, Phil (Evenflow8112) recommended this forum to me as a way to get away from discussing film with all of the idiots on IMDB.

I'm a Musical Theatre major going into my second semester at Rockford College. 18 years old. Born in Florida, and raised in New Jersey five minutes from the Holland Tunnel. Theatre is my livelihood. I've been dyeing my hair since I was 9 years old, though for the last couple of years I've had plain normal dark brown hair.

I've met a ton of celebrities, including Phil's new man-crush, Alan Cumming. haha. I'm also distantly related to Irene Ryan of Beverly Hillbillies fame.

Remember the bridge they blew up in the painfully hard-to-watch Steven Spielberg version of War of the Worlds? I live within walking distance of that bridge.

I'm an avid Rocky Horror Picture Show fan, and next summer I will be joining my local midnight cast, playing the role of Magenta. But I've been doing Rocky, going to midnight shows and dressing up since I was 7. I've written my own callback script and have the Rocky script memorized. I'm kind of obsessed. XD Wait till I get to dress Phil up as Brad. haha.

Other favorite films include Some Like It Hot, Pan's Labyrinth, Life is Beautiful, and The Who's Tommy.

Phil wants me to write that he's the greatest man ever. <3 Which he is. XD

K. :)

Edit: Oh, and I style wigs. lol.

Welcome to the forum Jessa! I think you'll find that we're a..., hurm,...well, we're something different and I hope that you'll find us to your liking. I'm also glad that another book-lover has joined these boards (I made a tiny contribution to Phil's recent reading related Fb status) and hope that you'll convince your man that books can be used for things other than fuelling a fire :)

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 pm
Director

My name is Jeff Wilder as you probably guessed from the ID. I am 32 years old and I live in Florida. I've read Reelviews since 1997. I don't always agree with James, in fact there are reviews where I've strongly disagreed with him. But even when I don't agree, he always makes his case in a logical manner.

I've always loved movies since I first started to watch them. I also love music and books. After graduating from high school in 1997, I went to the local community college for 2 years. Studied English with the goal of becoming a writer. Left college (minus a degree) after 2 years, partly on account of low grades, partly on account of diminished desire. Went on to work a series of jobs. Wrote a lot and read a lot and of course saw a lot of movies.

It was while working at a computer tech support company that I decided I wanted to be a filmmaker. I sat down, wrote a script for a movie based on my experience at that company and set out to film it. Got fired before I could actually get the film made. Also I realized the script, while okay for a first effort, was unwieldy. I then wrote 5 more scripts in a 4 year period.

Currently working with Kickstarter to raise money to shoot my first feature film Dead Man's Lead. It's a dark comedy I wrote.

Influences: Martin Scorsese, Paul Thomas Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, David Lynch, Robert Altman, Spike Lee, The Coen Brothers, Brian De Palma, Wong Kar-Wai, Danny Boyle, David Fincher, Coppola (for Apocalypse Now) and Richard Linklater.

All time favorite movie? If I had to pick only one...Goodfellas.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 am
Jeff Wilder wrote:
My name is Jeff Wilder as you probably guessed from the ID. I am 32 years old and I live in Florida. I've read Reelviews since 1997. I don't always agree with James, in fact there are reviews where I've strongly disagreed with him. But even when I don't agree, he always makes his case in a logical manner.

I've always loved movies since I first started to watch them. I also love music and books. After graduating from high school in 1997, I went to the local community college for 2 years. Studied English with the goal of becoming a writer. Left college (minus a degree) after 2 years, partly on account of low grades, partly on account of diminished desire. Went on to work a series of jobs. Wrote a lot and read a lot and of course saw a lot of movies.

It was while working at a computer tech support company that I decided I wanted to be a filmmaker. I sat down, wrote a script for a movie based on my experience at that company and set out to film it. Got fired before I could actually get the film made. Also I realized the script, while okay for a first effort, was unwieldy. I then wrote 5 more scripts in a 4 year period.

Currently working with Kickstarter to raise money to shoot my first feature film Dead Man's Lead. It's a dark comedy I wrote.

Influences: Martin Scorsese, Paul Thomas Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, David Lynch, Robert Altman, Spike Lee, The Coen Brothers, Brian De Palma, Wong Kar-Wai, Danny Boyle, David Fincher, Coppola (for Apocalypse Now) and Richard Linklater.

All time favorite movie? If I had to pick only one...Goodfellas.

An official welcome to you, Jeff, and good luck with Dead Man's Lead. I'm pulling for you, sounds like the picture could be Coen-esque.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next